Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:18:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was scammed by MtGox.  (Read 7842 times)
kiwiasian (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:25:34 AM

Today, first time using MtGox. I added some BTC, started an order, and then checked back in a few hours to see that someone withdrew ALL of the BTC in my account to some address. I have no idea who this address belongs to. Here is proof.

Here is the Block Explorer for the address: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1KReFavSpHkxZqkR3aZvdz4pbhg6ZqCwhy

I have no idea how my account was accessed, but I do know that I will not be using MtGox again in the future.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dutt

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 03:26:59 AM

Did you use an insecure password?

kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:29:25 AM

No, I didn't. I used a secure password.

Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:31:27 AM

I'm tired of these threads.

Stop whining on the forums and at least try to contact Mt. Gox. What help can we provide? There is nothing we can do.

kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:33:37 AM

Just a warning to everyone to not use MtGox. Sigh, I knew I should have stuck with BitcoinExchange.

What should I tell them? I mean I swear it was stolen from me. What can they do?

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:37:09 AM

What help can we provide? There is nothing we can do.
We can't even be sure of which threads to believe or not in most cases.
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:39:01 AM

I'm dead serious. 17.18 BTC was just stolen from me. I don't know who did it, but it happened, while the money was sitting in my MtGox account.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:41:30 AM

I'm dead serious. 17.18 BTC was just stolen from me. I don't know who did it, but it happened, while the money was sitting in my MtGox account.
I think you're probably telling the truth but I can't independently verify it and can't do anything about it anyway. I was just throwing that in to reinforce the comment of the person I replied to.
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:49:27 AM

Just found this.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18050.0

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:49:54 AM

mtgox if you are reading this can you please set all withdrawal methods to have email account verification if it needs to be changed.

Just having someone grab a password(somehow) and then logging in, changing payout details and processing, isnt secure enough.

If you place email verification for whenever details change, btc address/usd withdrawal address, it will make the site double as secure as it is atm with one access authentication.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:52:59 AM

mtgox if you are reading this can you please set all withdrawal methods to have email account verification if it needs to be changed.

Just having someone grab a password(somehow) and then logging in, changing payout details and processing, isnt secure enough.

If you place email verification for whenever details change, btc address/usd withdrawal address, it will make the site double as secure as it is atm with one access authentication.

Yes please add this feature. Having email verification for every transaction would make things MUCH more secure, and I would have avoided this.

anewbie

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:02:06 AM

Yes please add this feature. Having email verification for every transaction would make things MUCH more secure, and I would have avoided this.

If someone has access to the account, it is easy to change the e-mail address.

E-mail verification would not have prevented this, though it might leave a pointer to the perpetrator if they were really stupid.

A hacked gmail account could be used for the e-mail verification.

Perhaps a better solution would be to lock any transfers out for 24 hours after an e-mail change and to send notice of the e-mail change to the new and old e-mail addresses.

That might have stopped this, but it will also annoy some users.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:14:28 AM

If someone has access to the account, it is easy to change the e-mail address.

E-mail verification would not have prevented this, though it might leave a pointer to the perpetrator if they were really stupid.

A hacked gmail account could be used for the e-mail verification.

Perhaps a better solution would be to lock any transfers out for 24 hours after an e-mail change and to send notice of the e-mail change to the new and old e-mail addresses.

That might have stopped this, but it will also annoy some users.

If someone get access to you mtgox account/or somehow have access to any account on mtgox, they would not be able to simply change the payout details for btc/usd, since they would need additional accounts to verify the change thus creating more issues and likely having 2 areas of authentication with regards to email verification.

Please show me any reports of hacked gmail accounts(unless you mean someone storing their email accounts on their pc/keylogged)

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:20:04 AM

I've seen a similar thread not too long ago about someone posting how their bitcoins were moved out of mt. gox. He had pictures any everything.

I think I will stay away from mt. gox.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:23:46 AM

I've seen a similar thread not too long ago about someone posting how their bitcoins were moved out of mt. gox. He had pictures any everything.

To be fair, people tend to use terrible passwords. Not sure whether there is a security problem with Mt. Gox or not, but I'd bet that this is just users being users and using passwords like 'password' and '12345'
pancakes

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:10:38 AM

Just a warning to everyone to not use MtGox. Sigh, I knew I should have stuck with BitcoinExchange.

What should I tell them? I mean I swear it was stolen from me. What can they do?

Everyone? There are far more traders not getting BTC stolen than traders claiming they have had BTC stolen. This sort of thing happens everywhere. Furthermore your title is sensationalist (MtGox clearly didn't scam you, you probably scammed yourself by having a shitty password) which leads me to believe you are lying in order to try get some sort of compensation.

Sorry if your BTC really did get stolen. That sucks. But what were you doing with 17BTC in your MtGox account anyway? Surely you've read all the reports from people claiming to have their accounts compromised.
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:41:31 AM

To be fair, people tend to use terrible passwords. Not sure whether there is a security problem with Mt. Gox or not, but I'd bet that this is just users being users and using passwords like 'password' and '12345'

Everyone? There are far more traders not getting BTC stolen than traders claiming they have had BTC stolen. This sort of thing happens everywhere. Furthermore your title is sensationalist (MtGox clearly didn't scam you, you probably scammed yourself by having a shitty password) which leads me to believe you are lying in order to try get some sort of compensation.

Sorry if your BTC really did get stolen. That sucks. But what were you doing with 17BTC in your MtGox account anyway? Surely you've read all the reports from people claiming to have their accounts compromised.

The entire point is that weak passwords are not the issue here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18050.0

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Djao

Activity: 208

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 10:58:41 AM

The entire point is that weak passwords are not the issue here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18050.0

To me it seems like most ppl who got their accounts hacked used the same username on multiple sites, including MtGox. Probably would have been better to use different handles for each site ... glad I'm doing this for years already.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 11:22:07 AM

You can still make the title reflect reality if you want. Maybe "What happened to my MtGox funds?" or "Help, MtGox funds taken"

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 12:26:38 PM

So you created an account (that's the complete history, right?), just to put some coins there and about two hours later that money disappeared? I am sorry for my distrust, but with hat kind of title and TradeHill in your signature I think it all looks somewhat suspicious to me.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: