Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:39:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My proposal for AllinVain's theft.  (Read 5769 times)
Anonymous

June 17, 2011, 04:42:51 AM

*crickets*

Well, it seems you don't really want to see him with his money back after all. However, I guess it's completely fine if it's taken from everybody elses wallet. :\

This is what is wrong with society.

I'm surprised you are voicing any opinion wanting to get this guys money back.  Seems out of character.

Clearly he does not. He started this thread to mock me.
Libel. I am mocking the guy with the idiotic Bitcoin manipulation idea.

Also, I like voluntary charity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 04:52:20 AM

*crickets*

Well, it seems you don't really want to see him with his money back after all. However, I guess it's completely fine if it's taken from everybody elses wallet. :\

This is what is wrong with society.

I'm surprised you are voicing any opinion wanting to get this guys money back.  Seems out of character.

Clearly he does not. He started this thread to mock me.
Libel. I am mocking the guy with the idiotic Bitcoin manipulation idea.

Also, I like voluntary charity.

I would accept "voluntary charity" from the hacker(s) who stole them...

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:57:01 AM

I would accept taking the loss and learning your lesson.

Can we let these drama threads die, please?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 05:00:30 AM

Riiiiight...such wonderful advice. How easy for you to say.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:02:54 AM

Ok - you first.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:06:06 AM

Okay, lets just start up a dedicated blog that can be google indexed, so his loss will be the first thing you see when you look up bitcoin.

Would that be satisfactory?

Is this just an effort to cast less doubt on yourself and more on the system? Because I am starting to have some doubts.

bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:07:41 AM

Calm down.

1. You put your keys on Dropbox - that alone deserves learning a lesson!
2. You didn't invest money $500k of hard work. You just lost your jackpod.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 05:11:54 AM

Calm down.

I see. The old "hate the early miner" issue...so be it.

Anonymous

June 17, 2011, 05:19:02 AM

You didn't invest money $500k of hard work. You just lost your jackpod.
He certainly did. He built a share of the Bitcoin currency as it is today. He is a part of this company and his assets happened to be valuable.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:20:17 AM

You know what, you've convinced me.

Lets start a perpetual sticky thread called "I lost bitcoins through my own fault and can't let go...".

Have local meetups where we can light votive candles and chant hymns while offering up our prayers to Allinvain, who will henceforth be the patron saint of HOW NOT TO SECURE YOUR GODDAMNED WALLET.

I think you could spin it off into a few shows and have some public service announcements too.

It just stands to reason that someone's incompetence should weigh upon us all, for ever and ever.

.... or does it?

Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:20:36 AM

Calm down.

Point #2 is mediocre.

Anyway, you kept all your coins in an active, unencrypted wallet on an insecure computer. I'm not surprised you were targeted for practicing such terrible security with a lot of money.
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 05:28:02 AM

You know what, I'm just going to come right out and say it--a lot of you are really short in the people skills department.  Posting or reading anything on an online forum is no replacement for grieving a substantial loss.  Just give the poor guy a little bit of space for 5 seconds.  It's not just about the money--it's about the emotions of having been an early adopter of something that turned out to be huge, plans for the future that now won't be possible, and so on.  People aren't just money roombas.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:33:04 AM

You know what, I'm just going to come right out and say it--a lot of you are really short in the people skills department.  Posting or reading anything on an online forum is no replacement for grieving a substantial loss.  Just give the poor guy a little bit of space for 5 seconds.  It's not just about the money--it's about the emotions of having been an early adopter of something that turned out to be huge, plans for the future that now won't be possible, and so on.  People aren't just money roombas.

Then sticky his thread for everyone to contribute to, because as you know, it really does bitcoin a great service.

One time, I lost over 30k in index options, but I didn't whine to the world when it was my fault.  The same should apply here. It wasn't a client vulnerability, he just MESSED UP COMPLETELY.

I gave him the leeway, but I will be damned if I am going to see a 'allinvain' thread every few days.

Unless of course, it was all a psyop to discredit bitcoin, in that case -- great job.

Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:38:22 AM

"I had all this gold and then it got big. I kept it in a big pile in my living room but I kept the house locked! Someone stole it all and now the plans I had for the future are ruined!"
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:38:45 AM

Calm down.

The dropbox thing is way more important. For me it is obviously like putting $500k of cash in a locker at a public swimming pool.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:46:18 AM

alot of smartasses happy it wasn't them, give the guy a break. he knows better than anyone else what he did wrong on his part. if you learned something from his mistake, send him a donation or simply stfu.  apologies for my language.

edit: in his place cold have being almost anyone here and the proof is that all of you in past 48 hours were fearfully securing your wallets and scanning pc's. and now being smart###es about his misfortune. very low.
Anonymous

June 17, 2011, 05:54:39 AM

alot of smartasses happy it wasn't them, give the guy a break. he knows better than anyone else what he did wrong on his part. if you learned something from his mistake, send him a donation or simply stfu.  apologies for my language.

edit: in his place cold have being almost anyone here and the proof is that all of you in past 48 hours were fearfully securing your wallets and scanning pc's. and now being smart###es about his misfortune. very low.
It's impossible to argue social conduct especially when individuals are so easy to offend.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 05:57:09 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 06:08:15 AM by allinvain

Calm down.

The dropbox thing is way more important. For me it is obviously like putting $500k of cash in a locker at a public swimming pool.

That's probably not how they got it. Do you know anything about how dropbox operates?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/27

"All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256)"

Why don't you ask him how he did it:

http://twitter.com/#!/Anonakomis

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 06:01:27 AM

I appreciate the support. Don't worry though. I'll do my best not to let it get to me.

unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:34:54 AM

It's impossible to argue social conduct especially when individuals are so easy to offend.

would you just grow up, please, atlas? i try to avoid commenting, but you singlehandedly make the forum almost unbearable to read with your repetitive, simplistic little nuggets of teenage political and social wisdom. i could probably write a computer program that could emulate your forum presence in a way that passed the turing test; it would certainly do as good a job as you at being a teenage libertarian. it's neither hard or interesting; you're not the first, you know. if we all know exactly what you're going to say, why say it?

emansipator, as usual, is right, and the callousness shown here and in similar threads to allinvain is insensitive and unfortunate. (the worst i saw was someone who spouted the mafia's internal code about how asking help from law enforcement shows that you're not a 'man' and lack 'courage'. sadly, this sentiment does accurately represent the forums, and perhaps the 'bitcoin community' as a whole, so the press's unfortunate general reaction is not a surprise. not all early adopters are as juvenile and anarchist, but those of us who aren't seem to be in a diminishing minority.)

nor is it obviously wrong, despite the remarkable cultural conservatism and fear of change that's evident in these forums, to think about ways to improve bitcoin so that this kind of thing doesn't happen in the future. encrypting private keys on disk and/or in memory isn't really good enough against a compromised system. perhaps it's not worth worrying about any system that could ever become compromised (that's at least a reasonable position), but there are solutions that mitigate the harm from system comrpomise; they could involve distributed keystores, delayed transaction confirmations, security commitments in the block chain itself using nLockTime, and so forth. i'm not sure why there's so little interest in exploring those alternatives, rather than blaming the victims of a system that, in total, failed them.

less attention in general should be paid to the 'wallet.dat' file, too, and more to the private keys themselves. an ec private key is not long and could easily be recorded on paper (much more easily than using a qr code to represent the whole wallet.dat file). the client could readily support manual entry of private keys that were recorded from prior display, for example. password-based encryption of the whole private-key store in wallet.dat is likely to do little good; most people, if nothing else, will use poor passwords.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: