Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:35:14 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between a "coin" and "token"?  (Read 8160 times)
fosco333

Activity: 1260
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 07:07:40 AM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

Tokens are running on the coin network. For example any ERC20 tokens are operates on the Ethereum network.
You need ETH as a gas to transfer ERC20 tokens on that network. Same as other coin, it has some token.
Tokens are usually used for fund rising on ICO.

hotBriX001

Activity: 224
Merit: 6

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2018, 03:38:30 AM

Tokens are the same coins but they are not officially registered, that is, there are no prices on them, and they are not on the stock exchange...as soon as the price appears on the stock exchange and is assigned, it is no longer tokens...now it's coin.

Yes, it is the same not officially registered and both are not found on the stock exchange. However if tokens will be assigned with value in stock exchange then this is the time they count as coins for traders investment used to make money when exchange successfully.

▬▬ ● ● Destream Fine Ecosystem for STREAMERS ● ● ▬▬
▬▬ ● ● STREAMER'S FINANCIAL ECOSYSTEM ● ● ▬▬
ivanleon

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 06:58:29 PM

Always thought that the coin and to coin the words are synonyms. In any case, in everyday communication.
Sweetbtc

Activity: 938
Merit: 503

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 09:14:42 AM

Normally token are referred to the Etherium smart contracts and Coins are basically the currency like bitcoins, litecoins. You can say if it runs on block chain type platform, it is refereed as a coin which on etherum platform it is referred as a token. Most people used these terms inter-changeably without worrying about the definition difference of both of them

.TONUP..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
...JOIN NOW...
Luckyji

Activity: 166
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 11:06:50 AM

to me the difference a coin and a token a coin is what the manager of a bounty award during the bounty campiagn while coin is what the team of a bounty pays to someone wallet address after they have converted the token to a coin then they it to the individuals that participated in the bounty.
Mrbee

Activity: 454
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:34:29 PM

No, it is not the same thing. Coins are much more valuable than tokens, because they have much more feature and capabilities. Tokens are really limited within the company that gave them. Don`t be foul and never exchange coins for tokens.
piterpie

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:36:47 PM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

COin is he main coin with its network like eth while token is the coin created under the network like ten x pay is token, it is created in eth network or blockchain, Most ICOs use eth token , there are some use etc , and waves. Most ICos now use eth network because the developers may prefer eth to make smart contract deployed
Thanks for the knowledge you shared. Although I was involved in the crypto market, but for me this knowledge is very necessary. I will tell many of my friends to they understand the difference between coin and token
pacapa mloloh

Activity: 213
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 01:38:32 AM

All coins and tokens are cryptocurrency.
Altcoin
Alternative coins / altcoin / coins are an alternative to Bitcoin. The majority of altcoin is a fork variant of Bitcoin, using the Bitcoin open source protocol with coding changes to create new coin types with different features.
Examples of altcoin which are variants of Bitcoin coding are Namecoin, Peercoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin and Auroracoin.
There are also other altcoins that are not derived from the open source protocol Bitcoin. Instead, the coins were created using new blockchains and protocols. Examples for this coin include: Ethereum, Ripple, Omni, NXT, Waves and Counterparty. Altcoin this type has its own blockchain that records the transaction process of the coin.

Token
Token is a representation of asset ownership, which generally uses other existing blockchain technologies. It can be said token is any form of tradable assets, for example: commodities, data, point rewards, currency, and others.

Conclusion

The main difference between altcoin and token is the structure; altcoin is a currency that uses its own blockchain platform, while the token operates using another blockchain that can facilitate the smart contract.
lance04

Activity: 462
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:02:19 PM

I think the coin and token are likely the same because they are consider as a investment and there is nothing comes to my mind that they are different because they are the same in all things.
Bellex

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 12:15:49 PM

The main similarity of all coins lies in the fact that each of them has its own independent blockchain, where transactions occur. Creating tokens is a simpler process. Do not need to borrow codes from a specific protocol or create own blockchain. All you need to do is follow the standard blockchain platforms, for example, usage of the Ethereum platform, which allows you to create your own tokens
Koherse

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 05:08:06 PM

Coin is he principle coin with its system like eth while token is the coin made under the system like ten x pay is token, it is made in eth organize or blockchain, Most ICOs utilize eth token , there are some utilization and so forth , and waves. Most ICos currently utilize eth organize in light of the fact that the designers may lean toward eth to make savvy contract sent
reversemartingale

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 05:10:08 PM

A coin has its own blockchain while a token was just created from a contract thats my understanding
genset88

Activity: 349

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 05:22:42 PM

Usually, people are confused and use them for the same meaning. Actually they are different. If you notice on coinmarketcap, they categorize it into coin and token.
If cryptocurrency is created from their own blockchain (ex: NEO, XLM. XRP, ETH, BTC,..), we will call it "COIN".
If cryptocurrency is based on other smart-contract platform, we call it "TOKEN" (ex:  Qtum is based on Ethereum platform)

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
chosenboy4

Activity: 122
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 05:24:37 PM

Tokens are a representation of a particular asset or utility, that usually resides on top of another blockchain. Tokens can represent basically any assets that are fungible and tradeable, from commodities to loyalty points to even other cryptocurrencies!
sister1001

Activity: 237
Merit: 43

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 09:53:22 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2018, 10:22:53 PM by sister1001

Oh, a token is just a digital asset deployed on a certain chain, but a coin is the unit of the chain itself. In terms of investment, if you buy a coin you normally have a stake on the value of the chain, but a token may represent a stake in any of the business or projects that are built to be supported on that chain.
vasilisc555

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 09:59:37 PM

I wonder how for me there is not much difference and that and that is traded. And if it means that it is a digital asset, then it can and should be earned on it.
Arnhomo

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 08:14:46 AM

Concerning me I truly don't know for the present the distinction of those two.But on my perspective I believe that in the event that you are conversing with coins I would state that something that can fill in as an installment something used to purchase something or something used to exchanging or working together while token for me implies an offer or a given reward for an occupation or something given by the organization concerning completing an awesome activity for them.
wdnj

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:01:43 PM

Concerning me I truly don't know for the present the distinction of those two.But on my perspective I believe that in the event that you are conversing with coins I would state that something that can fill in as an installment something used to purchase something or something used to exchanging or working together while token for me implies an offer or a given reward for an occupation or something given by the organization concerning completing an awesome activity for them.

Coins they have the block chain on their own and have the platform to transfer tokens.
This can create more number of supplies.
While Token are those who created under contract. most of them are NEP5 and ERC20

@pacapa mloloh has explained into two simple sentences the difference between a token, currency and a fork.

Skortish

Activity: 89

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 03:06:03 PM

token is what we hold before it is being listed on an exchange while coin is what we use to hold for long term investement
xeno94

Activity: 75

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:07:40 PM

i can say that coins are mineable while token are given by ICOs through bounties.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: