Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:37:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Get 5 free bitcoins from freebitcoins.appspot.com  (Read 63921 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2012, 08:19:30 PM by Gavin Andresen
Merited by EFS (100), OgNasty (50), hugeblack (28), ABCbits (10), nutildah (6), LoyceV (4), vapourminer (3), DdmrDdmr (2), o_e_l_e_o (2), BayAreaCoins (1), HI-TEC99 (1), mandown (1), dragonvslinux (1), lucky80 (1), ruletheworld (1), DaCryptoRaccoon (1)

For my first Bitcoin coding project, I decided to do something that sounds really dumb:  I created a web site that gives away Bitcoins.   It is at: https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

Five ฿ per customer, first come first served, I've stocked it with ฿1,100 to start.  I'll add more once I'm sure it is working properly.

Why?  Because I want the Bitcoin project to succeed, and I think it is more likely to be a success if people can get a handful of coins to try it out.  It can be frustrating to wait until your node generates some coins (and that will get more frustrating in the future), and buying Bitcoins is still a little bit clunky.

Please try it out and get some free coins, even if you already have more Bitcoins than you know what to do with.  You can get some and then donate them right back; the address is: 15VjRaDX9zpbA8LVnbrCAFzrVzN7ixHNsC

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
laszlo

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
June 11, 2010, 05:57:05 PM

Awesome!

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 11, 2010, 06:11:37 PM

I really like that. Do you think it would be good to post when the number of bitcoins left is below 200-300? That way people like me could donate to it to help keep this going.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
lachesis

View Profile
June 11, 2010, 06:29:39 PM

Couldn't someone just keep making new bitcoin addresses and drain your system?

You should at least toss recaptcha on there.
It only gives 5 coins / IP / day. I dunno if it also checks addresses.

But it's true, a good captcha wouldn't be a bad idea.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
lachesis

View Profile
June 11, 2010, 07:20:52 PM

Yeah, using only the IP is somewhat unsecure, but it's better than nothing.

I wonder if it's possible to generate coins on app engine...

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2010, 07:27:15 PM
Merited by EFS (100)

Showing the number of Bitcoins available is on my TODO list.  I just checked and the balance is up to 1,135 (thanks to whoever donated!).

And right now it is 5 bitcoins per IP address (not bitcoin address).  Not per-day-- just 5.  I want to start out conservatively, I will loosen it to 5 per (day?/week?/month?) if people start having lots of trouble because they get a dynamic IP address from their ISP that already got some.

RE: captchas:  yeah, I was gonna start out with a captcha, but I wanted it to be as simple and non-threatening as possible.  I don't think anybody who has access to hundreds or thousands of working public IP addresses would go to the effort of writing a bitcoin-harvesting robot, though I suppose somebody with a botnet might take a crack at it.  To make that tougher I could make it 5 bitcoins per IP AND 5 bitcoins per bitcoin address (so they couldn't have all the bots in the botnet using the same BC address).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
lachesis

View Profile
June 11, 2010, 07:32:43 PM

Showing the number of Bitcoins available is on my TODO list.  I just checked and the balance is up to 1,135 (thanks to whoever donated!).
I got 5 then felt bad so sent you 50 back Cheesy

And right now it is 5 bitcoins per IP address (not bitcoin address).  Not per-day-- just 5.  I want to start out conservatively, I will loosen it to 5 per (day?/week?/month?) if people start having lots of trouble because they get a dynamic IP address from their ISP that already got some.
My mistake. I don't see that being a big problem. Perhaps have it reset every week? I doubt you'll be hard-pressed for coins, at least for now.

To make that tougher I could make it 5 bitcoins per IP AND 5 bitcoins per bitcoin address (so they couldn't have all the bots in the botnet using the same BC address).
That actually wouldn't help much. It's completely trivial to generate a new address per transaction (with JSON-RPC). If I were coding a botnet, that's how I'd do it. Adding a CAPTCHA might be wise if you notice problems, but for now I doubt you have much to lose by skipping it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you build that on the App Engine? Could I possibly see your source? I might set something similar up on my local server. As I understood it, you can't make any sort of outbound request from app engine, though. So how do you send the coins?

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2010, 08:11:23 PM

Will you share the source code of your service? Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2010, 03:32:34 AM

Will you share the source code of your service? Smiley
I'd be happy to share the interesting bits, but the architecture is... um, unique.  I'll start a thread on the Development forum describing how I built it.

wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 09:00:32 AM
Merited by Dav7 (1)

gavinandersen

I've been able to drawn 50 BTC in minutes using Tor. Please add some address filter too, so the same address can't be used twice. I'll also provide a Tor blacklist if you'd like.
PS: I've paid back those BTCs.

It's out job to disarm thieves so this currency won't be subjected to the same atrocities as in real world.
This currency shall not be used for one to be rich and in control and others poor and under control.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
laszlo

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 09:07:47 AM

He's giving it away, it's an honor system, so don't take more than you need Smiley

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
wobber
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 09:19:53 AM

Of course. I didn't. But that doesn't mean others won't too.

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2010, 03:05:50 PM

I've been able to drawn 50 BTC in minutes using Tor. Please add some address filter too, so the same address can't be used twice. I'll also provide a Tor blacklist if you'd like.
PS: I've paid back those BTCs.

How many public Tor exit nodes are there these days?  You've essentially blacklisted 10 of them already  Smiley

I am going to add a one-donation-per-bitcoin address rule to make it a teeny-tiny bit harder to cheat.  I don't want to blacklist anybody coming from Tor, though-- I think a lot of people using Tor will also be interested in Bitcoin.

I'll implement a CAPTCHA when (if?) the current service starts running low on coins (there are 1,570 bitcoins in the faucet right now!).

wobber
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 03:53:16 PM

Gavinandersen
About 1500-1700 exit nodes on Tor. Yea, people using Bitcoin might use Tor, but not for your service. My suggestion is to ban open proxies.

wobber
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 04:25:54 PM

Gavinandersen, you gave me 13.37 (leet) BTC?

lachesis

View Profile
June 13, 2010, 09:45:07 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Gavin, you should set DEBUG = False in your Django settings next time. I hit some kind of exception page and it gave me your secret and the URI of your JSON gateway.

I'll send your bitcoins back to you if you'd like. Cheesy I'm emailing you.

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2010, 01:23:20 AM

Thanks, lachesis-- ฿50 to you for finding that bug!

I've changed the key and turned off debugging; I'll tighten up its security a little more tomorrow when I'm more awake.

And wobber: no, I didn't send you leet ฿

lachesis

View Profile
June 14, 2010, 01:45:38 AM

Thanks Gavin. Glad to help.

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2010, 05:48:44 PM

The Bitcoin Faucet now shows how many coins it has available to give out (on the left-hand side of the page).  The number is only moderately accurate-- donations will take 5 or 10 minutes to show up in the balance.

I also implemented another anti-cheating measure that should make casual cheating a little harder (which I don't want to say too much about because that would make it easy for cheaters to know what to do).

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well freebitcoins is working so far; thanks again to everybody who tried it out and who donated bitcoins to it!

satoshi
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
June 18, 2010, 11:08:34 PM
Merited by BayAreaCoins (10), LoyceV (1)

Excellent choice of a first project, nice work.  I had planned to do this exact thing if someone else didn't do it, so when it gets too hard for mortals to generate 50BTC, new users could get some coins to play with right away.  Donations should be able to keep it filled.  The display showing the balance in the dispenser encourages people to top it up.

You should put a donation bitcoin address on the page for those who want to add funds to it, which ideally should update to a new address whenever it receives something.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2010, 12:30:52 AM

Thanks!  I'll add the donation address to the bottom of the page.

I'm thinking of keeping the donation address the same, so donations to the Faucet are transparent to anybody who wants to see.  I WANT donations to, and payments from, the Bitcoin Faucet to be NON-anonymous, so anybody can audit that address and see the flow of bitcoins through the Faucet.

(by the way, if anybody is looking for an interesting bitcoin-related coding project I think a website where you enter a Bitcoin address and it shows you a visualization of all the transactions that went to/from that address would be cool... extra credit if it let you browse the web of transactions...  I'd be really curious to see what percentage of bitcoins withdrawn from the Faucet end up donated right back into it...)

virtualcoin

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 09:55:13 AM

Hi Gavin,

nice service, but there was a problem with my first attempt to get the coins: "invalid BC address".
So the first address generated by the bitcoin program didn't work - 1Dn51Rn2tmvARcsYkPe7Aw1sCAXw5oKnR

Why?
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2010, 01:01:02 PM

nice service, but there was a problem with my first attempt to get the coins: "invalid BC address".
So the first address generated by the bitcoin program didn't work - 1Dn51Rn2tmvARcsYkPe7Aw1sCAXw5oKnR
That's caused by a bug in one of the technologies I'm using behind the scenes (Google's App Engine).  If you try again the problem should go away.

I've got a couple of ideas on how to make it more reliable, but I'm still hoping Google finds and fixes the underlying problem...

virtualcoin

Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 01:13:43 PM

If you try again the problem should go away.
Nope. ^^
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2010, 03:04:10 PM

I misunderstood the problem.  I hadn't noticed that bitcoin addresses could be either 33 or 34 characters long, which is why the Faucet thought your initial address was invalid.

I've fixed it.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 06:46:59 AM

I tried to get the free bitcoins.  It said the bitcoins were on it's way.  But it's been more than 5-10 min and still no bitcoins in my balance.  How long should it take?
Anonymous

July 12, 2010, 08:17:02 AM

I just sent my first bitcoins ever woohoo  Smiley

Everyone should pay it forward.If you get a donation - donate to 3 other people!
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2010, 01:36:39 PM

I tried to get the free bitcoins.  It said the bitcoins were on it's way.  But it's been more than 5-10 min and still no bitcoins in my balance.  How long should it take?
If you have finished downloading the "block chain" (the history of previous transactions) then you'll get your bitcoins right away.

If you haven't finished that initial download (if the "blocks" number at the bottom of Bitcoin is less than 65-thousand-something), then you'll get your free bitcoins as soon as you download the block containing that 5-bitcoin transaction.

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 08:56:43 PM

Feature request:

If you have already received your free bitcoins, if you donate them back again you are then unblocked from requesting more?

lachesis

View Profile
July 12, 2010, 09:39:23 PM

Feature request:

If you have already received your free bitcoins, if you donate them back again you are then unblocked from requesting more?
That's actually fairly hard to implement. Gavin would have to create a donation address for each client so that he knew _who_ donated them back, since coins don't come with any sort of information about who last had them.

Gavin, you COULD look at the previous owner of the coins and remove that address from your blacklist. However, I dunno about the IP data.

EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 13, 2010, 12:49:46 AM

You may have some sort of bug. I requested my five free coins last night, and I received two payments of 5 coins at the same time, giving me 10 coins.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2010, 01:04:22 AM

Gavin, you COULD look at the previous owner of the coins and remove that address from your blacklist. However, I dunno about the IP data.
Yeah, I could, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth; if you got coins from the Faucet into a non-empty wallet and then donated them back there's no guarantee that the donation back would be the SAME coins.  I just don't want to deal with a lot of "I got five coins and then sent back ten but I still can't get more from the Faucet...."

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2010, 05:20:54 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2010, 05:43:29 PM by BitcoinFX
Merited by LoyceV (4), vapourminer (3), mk4 (1)

"Hey! I thought you were giving away FIVE!

I was giving away 5 bitcoins, but the Faucet is running dry due to very high demand. If some kind soul refills the Faucet so it has more than 500 Bitcoins it will be more generous again. And if you get less than five now, you can come back later when the Faucet is full and get the 5 bitcoins you deserve."

500 BTC Donation incoming to the Faucet !  Cool

~ Only original Bitcoin users will ever understand the true economic value of Pizzas and Haircuts. Grin Bitcoin for ALL

Oh and this is my 100th post ! So, I'm now a Full Member at last... woop woop !

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
narotes

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:32:02 PM

Hi there peops!

I'm new to the system and I tried the Faucet but there weren't any coins left and now the system is down for maintenance. So is there any B. G@tes willing to donate some coins to me so i can try some?

pm please, thx Smiley
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:37:06 AM

Trolling the board and I found this thread buried deep below.  Initially handing out 5BTC per request and stocked at 1,100!  With BTC @ $9.60, that has to be hurting now.

Thanks for offering the service, though.  The faucet was my first transaction!

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
cointrader

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:09:41 AM

Is Bitcoin Faucet is permanently closed? Maybe instead of giving away so much, you might consider only giving away a token amount.
rlh

Activity: 804

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:33:39 AM

When I received my initial BTC (about a month ago), the faucet was giving out .05 BTC.  It's been adjusted with time.  But still, that was quite an initial investment.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
spleeder

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 10:44:05 AM

Is Bitcoin Faucet is permanently closed? Maybe instead of giving away so much, you might consider only giving away a token amount.

It's only giving out 0.02 bitcoins.
narotes

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:54:00 AM

I would be happy at least to get 0.01 but it's being fixed/under maintenance for days now - at least it was every time i tried it up to now…
spleeder

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 12:39:26 PM

I'm sure there are folks around here that have some bitcents to spare for you. Maybe you could start a thread asking for your first bitcents?
teppy

Activity: 185
Merit: 114

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:59:31 PM

Come on over to Dragon's Tale - we have a faucet in-game - just look for the Soldier statues. Most just give a bitmill or two (1/1000 BTC), but you can visit many. It's a casino MMORPG, so I hope you'll play the games, but if you're just looking for your first few bitcents, I'd be glad to help. The game's URL is in my sig.

Dragon's Tale is the longest running Bitcoin enterprise in the world.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

Come on over to Dragon's Tale - we have a faucet in-game - just look for the Soldier statues. Most just give a bitmill or two (1/1000 BTC), but you can visit many. It's a casino MMORPG, so I hope you'll play the games, but if you're just looking for your first few bitcents, I'd be glad to help. The game's URL is in my sig.

Not very nice to try and hi-jack this topic like that.  Roll Eyes

stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:12:01 PM

his post about his game is a lot more pertinent than this thread which was made almost a year ago when BTC were worth a few pennies

someone is just trying to bump old threads with any mentions of BTC giveaways even though it's appreciated like 10000x since then
HolGORE

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 05:56:44 PM

17CF8SPFqBDg3pZ4jVNn7Mwir33c6t7eiR

would be nice if i could get 1 or 2 too =)

regards
Yank

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:24:51 AM

Hi together!

While Bitcoin Faucet is still down and i can`t wait to try it out, I´d really appreciate a little donation to me too...

146fZGo1RXdDxZ9WDgMwTvy74wtztfW6mb

Yank
Lapton

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:54:53 PM

Hi
Just starting with Bitcoin.
Would be very kind of you, if someon would send me 1 or 2 Bitcoins so i can Start tradin Smiley
18pRV4EqJ5fWfAvPU1viwgA1yd8x5XQgjA
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:48:26 PM

Also new to the Bitcoin game.  Find it fascinating and hope to find ways to contribute to the growth of BTC as currency.  I have managed to acquire 6 bitcents so far, and I see others asking for donations, I guess it can't hurt.  Many thanks to anyone who sends anything my way.   Grin

15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
Fuimeesar

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:05:51 PM

Still 0.00 BTC, would be great if someone could donate me Smiley

163eeuESEm1Nbqc6bWPynLMx5zM3pL8m4x

Thx
gboytazzz

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:16:12 PM

is this site going to come back up ?? ive been checking it for the last week and still down ... i new to the whole bit coin and would love to try it out ... i know i can mine for them but my home PC is under maintenance right now. if any one can donate i really appreciate it  Grin

1FcXpKatRqB8BuWy4cn9ohZXs7DuiL13RU

donations: 1HoeR3J4dr3G5RnnGhyNWjd1NxhDbGNJps
flexcoin : gboytazz
Atomicmouse

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:35:41 PM

Hello guys!

I looked around for bitcoin and it look very interesting.
Right now i dont have any bitcoin YET but i am processing information to get my first.

Now i go on this forum and see someone giving away BITCOIN!
But when i go to your website it says water faucet Closed!

Is there any ways to still get  5 bitcoins to try this whole thing out?

1AQBUZPggkWUD9mNFUQMRKiDP1USB74paX

here is my bitcoin account adress

Thank you!
I will start talking about bitcoin to people,it need to succeed!

antidote

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:41:15 PM

all out? Cheesy
narotes

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:22:00 AM

the atmosphere of departure has gone, no wine for the peoples anymore  Grin
eddd

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:56:45 AM

the atmosphere of departure has gone, no wine for the peoples anymore  Grin

The wine has become much to valuable to give away.

Gosh, I wish I knew about bitcoin a year ago.
Lillith81

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 10:00:22 PM

1JLDLHiBBeQqH8G3fzp2zd9k7JC6GLe1CX please?
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:06:52 PM

your more than 3 years to late Tongue

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
HollowIP

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 03:52:49 AM

you're more than 3 years to late Tongue

lmao.

It's still crazy though, to just think that people were giving away a potential '500' bucks to random strangers on the internet in the dozens.

BTC-  3FofPhtcESndpyLTJTJEnpShdHgbN82pAz
tehelsper

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:29:51 AM

Yeah, I remember getting 5 BTC from BitFaucet years ago. It seems silly now, but without things like this I'm not sure Bitcoin would be where it is today. Thank you!
sheinsha

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:41:29 AM

For my first Bitcoin coding project, I decided to do something that sounds really dumb:  I created a web site that gives away Bitcoins.   It is at: https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

Five ฿ per customer, first come first served, I've stocked it with ฿1,100 to start.  I'll add more once I'm sure it is working properly.

Why?  Because I want the Bitcoin project to succeed, and I think it is more likely to be a success if people can get a handful of coins to try it out.  It can be frustrating to wait until your node generates some coins (and that will get more frustrating in the future), and buying Bitcoins is still a little bit clunky.

Please try it out and get some free coins, even if you already have more Bitcoins than you know what to do with.  You can get some and then donate them right back; the address is: 15VjRaDX9zpbA8LVnbrCAFzrVzN7ixHNsC

฿1,100 @ todays mtgox: USD 118,800.00 WOW

Minar.cc pools are not running anymore, the domain was registered by someone else and I don't have any relationship with the new owner.
angelus359

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:33:13 PM

Is this project completely dead?
theDF

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:46:25 PM

Is this project completely dead?
I think so, because the faucet already dry out. and each bitcoin already worth $100+
I dont think they going to giveaway that amount for free :p
angelus359

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:55:27 PM

Even if they gave away a bitcent, it'd be cool
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:07:46 PM

Even if they gave away a bitcent, it'd be cool

Check out for free bitcoin sites. There are plenty of them.
i.e. http://dailybitcoins.org/

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 11:36:09 PM
Merited by BayAreaCoins (5)

No, I don't have time to clean up the code, port it to the latest AppEngine API, etc.

The Faucet was the simplest possible project I could think of to get my feet wet with Bitcoin; the hard part is preventing cheaters who try to get more than their fair share, and I was never able to come up with a really good solution (that is tied into the whole identity-on-the-Internet thing, which nobody has solved).

rafsoaken

Activity: 166

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:44:38 PM

No, I don't have time to clean up the code, port it to the latest AppEngine API, etc.

The Faucet was the simplest possible project I could think of to get my feet wet with Bitcoin; the hard part is preventing cheaters who try to get more than their fair share, and I was never able to come up with a really good solution (that is tied into the whole identity-on-the-Internet thing, which nobody has solved).

Maybe you could come up with some kind of "proof of work" scheme to give a fair share of BTC out to everyone Wink ?

Edit: Ha, was supposed to be a funny comment, but could actually work. Just make a faucet coin client using a proof-of-work scheme a la Yacoin (scrypt targeted to CPUs) and then trade these tokens for faucet bitcoins. It still depends on the number/power of CPUs you have, but would somewhat alleviate the IP/idententity problems..
Its like trying to turn the clock back a little bit when bitcoins could be mined without ASCIC/GPUs.

haightst

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:52:02 PM

RE: captchas:  yeah, I was gonna start out with a captcha, but I wanted it to be as simple and non-threatening as possible.  I don't think anybody who has access to hundreds or thousands of working public IP addresses would go to the effort of writing a bitcoin-harvesting robot, though I suppose somebody with a botnet might take a crack at it.  To make that tougher I could make it 5 bitcoins per IP AND 5 bitcoins per bitcoin address (so they couldn't have all the bots in the botnet using the same BC address).

good morning G!

~is the "giveaway" still on bud? If i could get 5BTC my attitude about the bitcoin world would change dramatically! HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!! I PROMISE TO MAKE MIRACLES HAPPEN!!

>> FROM CALIFORNIA TO WESTERN MASS!!!!

Grin

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!!*

,YOUR FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOVE"

my addy >>

1P2X7ovco8yaiq238AFLC7qRfCfhsuKkNG

jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:26:36 PM

good morning G!

~is the "giveaway" still on bud? If i could get 5BTC my attitude about the bitcoin world would change dramatically! HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!! I PROMISE TO MAKE MIRACLES HAPPEN!!

Grin

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!!*

,YOUR FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!

my addy >>

Please do not revive this ancient thread.
This was when bitcoins were cents each , now there are 200+ each.

Would any mod please move to archival or lock ?

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:02:56 PM

haha, seriously. I wish I was in Bitcoin that far back. Roll Eyes

uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 05:11:02 PM

haha, seriously. I wish I was in Bitcoin that far back. Roll Eyes
me too

haightst

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:49:30 PM

good morning G!

Grin

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!!*

,YOUR FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!

my addy >>

you don't "get it" do you?  Cool
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: