Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:21:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How interested are you in a Bitcoin Island Community?
I have 300 BTC to purchase a spot to live in a Bitcoin community
I have 300 BTC but would like to invest only / rent to others
I don't have 300 BTC but would consider renting from others
I'm just passing through or would like to contribute in other ways
Freedom scares me... I just want to use Bitcoin as a regulated, slightly cheaper Paypal alternative

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island/City and More  (Read 26371 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:12:47 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 06:24:06 PM by Anon136

I think that you talked about Nauru elsewhere, but the internet micro-nation of Wirtland already tried that one.

See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtland_(micronation)

Perhaps this is the website of the OP: http://bitcoinisland.org/ No 'shady' palm trees.  Huh Awww  Wink

oh wow! that makes wirtland the worlds first phile! man you are good at coming up with cool links arnt you

*edit* oh wow read this also! from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Roy_Bates

"Bates and his son were arrested and charged in a British court with weapons charges. The court threw out the case, claiming that the British court did not have jurisdiction over international affairs as Roughs Tower lay beyond the territorial waters of Britain."

it would appear that nations sometimes recognize claims of sovereignty!

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:09:55 PM

You forgot to add this to the poll choices:

"Centralizing bitcoiners goes against everything bitcoin is about."

Lemme know when you've added that so I can vote for it.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:36:16 PM

so btcluke if your theory that states would blow you off the map is correct how do you account for the success of sealand?

also it wouldnt be so centralized if we had 100 bitcoin micro-nations with 100 citizens in each nation or something like that. Then we would still have sovereignty according to international law AND still be decentralized.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:36:49 PM

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/james-island

Would be pretty cool to declare a bitcoin country on that island. Anyone got any ideas for a flag/name?  Grin
The problem would be with Canada letting you declare independence...Still, we can try. I can donate some btc

EDIT: I didn't know about this until yesterday: http://www.wirtland.com/
What about something like it?

Contact them and collaborate. They have experience with starting a country from scratch, you can advise on a way to make financials tangible (they discontinued the coins due to cost/hassle). Thanks for the cool link Smiley
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:39:07 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 07:52:50 PM by benjamindees

I added an option that might interest you.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 08:33:55 PM

It's not "centralizing" I think this is more like "One of many independent Bitcoin amusement parks and resorts"

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 08:56:11 PM

That is why I never go to Bitcoin meetups. A small group of people getting together is centralization.

I am such a big Bitcoin supporter that I check the localbitcoins map and try to find the location furthest from everyone else to help with Bitcoin decentralization.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:00:03 PM

Personally, I have just started paying with BTC for all my purchases....

Of course, it is not my problem if the merchant doesn't have the technological skills to accept BTC.

I don't know why they are calling me the Bitcoin Bandit.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
BTCLuke

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:06:05 AM

so btcluke if your theory that states would blow you off the map is correct how do you account for the success of sealand?
The "success" of Sealand?

Are you serious?

If so, are we talking about this place:

...And I have low standards for what makes a country, too! Perhaps I could describe it as a successful more easily if that dude standing there ever went a day in his life without owing taxes to Britain.

The most successful micronation is of course Wirtland. (Some might argue that Second Life takes this prize though.) Online is a far better way to approach the problem, but of course the day any of them stops paying taxes at home and then plops down anchor on a spot of land that is the least bit attractive to other governments, is the day they become in danger.

...And there still is no chance of them getting any recognition, either.

also it wouldnt be so centralized if we had 100 bitcoin micro-nations with 100 citizens in each nation or something like that. Then we would still have sovereignty according to international law AND still be decentralized.
At this point I have to ask what your goal is with this project. Perhaps you'd do far better to define a set of criteria that everyone agrees to first, to see what you should be looking for.

Clearly a 100 colonies of 100 citizen each spread around the world is going to have a hard time fitting in a solid set of criteria for a bitcoin-based micronation.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
BTCLuke

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:13:47 AM

It's not "centralizing" I think this is more like "One of many independent Bitcoin amusement parks and resorts"
No problem with that then... I guess as long as the people at that resort/park don't publically declare that they've stopped paying taxes to their old countries. (Or renounce citizenship.)

That is why I never go to Bitcoin meetups. A small group of people getting together is centralization.
Hey I'd go to a meetup with every last bitcoiner in the world under one dome no problem; I just wouldn't want to be in that room if we declared it a nation and we all stop paying taxes to our old governments... In that case, just one little bomb solves allllllllllllllll the state's newfound problems.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:12:38 AM

the goal of the project is to gain individual sovereignty. To find a place where we can be free from institutionalized coercion. And yes i would call sealand a success, idk if the king and prince have both been paying taxes in the uk the whole time than i would call it less successful than i initially imagined. By what criteria do you judge that it is not successful? because its small run down looking? Roy Bates has had the sovereignty of sealand up held in court twice. Roy bates was a free-man, a real free-man.

idk i just think its awesome, i understand why others might see it differently though. the point is to say that one person has staked a claim and declared his sovereignty with out being killed, so you say that if too many people do it than they would come after us but how many is that. They obviously dont come after 1 guy, what about 5 what about 10, we could already make a pretty awesome company with 10 people. If we could make it too 100 people with out being murdered we could really have a decent sized firm. We could just import materials and work to gather to make our product and sell it again on the international market.

however big is too big, we just wont get that big. We could put in the constitution that it has a limited space for admittance and we could make citizenship marketable. Then governments wouldn't ever have to worry about us growing too large and we could still grow large enough to perform the functions of any other normal business.

we wouldn't really be able to "make a libertarian society" though, we would really be more establishing sovereign international corporations. Still an awesome step in the right direction though.

of course remember im not specifically advocating anything here, the purpose of this thread is to talk about these ideas and remain open minded.

BTCLuke

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:26:01 AM

the goal of the project is to gain individual sovereignty. To find a place where we can be free from institutionalized coercion.
Alright. Let's start with this. I'll try not to be so cynical this time, but consider that what you are asking has never been done before by anyone other than those in bloody revolts from within existing nations, or nations expanding &/or trading with other nations.

Sealand is no exception to that rule... And it was the most successful physical micronation by far.

And yes i would call sealand a success, idk if the king and prince have both been paying taxes in the uk the whole time than i would call it less successful than i initially imagined. By what criteria do you judge that it is not successful? because its small run down looking?
No, because it didn't make anyone truly free nor sovereign. Since they still got their tax money, this pitiful platform simply was not of interest to England. All these decades later, and there is still no nation on earth that recognizes this "nation."

I can't find out much about the existing king, but Roy paid taxes to England his whole life, and didn't live on the platform very long... Mainly back in his radio days, when the platform had purpose.

If you can find info on how Michael (the son) lives and pays taxes, I'd be happy to read it.

Roy Bates has had the sovereignty of sealand up held in court twice.
And did either of those courts name Sealand as a Sovereign state?

Of course not. The best they ever got was "It's outside of our jurisdiction."

Roy bates was a free-man, a real free-man.
Source?

the point is to say that one person has staked a claim and declared his sovereignty with out being killed, so you say that if too many people do it than they would come after us but how many is that. They obviously dont come after 1 guy, what about 5 what about 10, we could already make a pretty awesome company with 10 people. If we could make it too 100 people with out being murdered we could really have a decent sized firm. We could just import materials and work to gather to make our product and sell it again on the international market.
Well the Republic of Rose Island WAS just 1 guy, and Italy came after him with armed forces and shut him down on Tax Evasion.

So the fact is, "1 guy" was too many for Italy, but not enough for England, at least when that 1 guy in England still payed his taxes.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:47:45 AM

Would be pretty cool to declare a bitcoin country on that island. Anyone got any ideas for a flag/name?  Grin

Grizzly Island?
BitSmile

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:43:34 AM

Would be pretty cool to declare a bitcoin country on that island. Anyone got any ideas for a flag/name?  Grin

Grizzly Island?
Do bears swim?

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:32:31 AM

They do (iirc).
lixiaolai
a friend of time
VIP

Activity: 169

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:41:13 AM

A centralized organization/place for decentralized currency? Huh

inblockchain.com
dbinghamjr

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:55:25 AM

I honestly love the idea xD Smiley
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:58:02 AM

A centralized organization/place for decentralized currency? Huh

Libertarians want to test it out, they are free to do that... I don't care... They also feel that BTC is perfect currency for their world...

But it's not for me...

I do hope they have nice powersupply and internet connection where they are going...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:08:42 PM

omg that story about the republic of rose is so sad. i want to cry. I suppose it didnt work because the platform wasnt mobile which just brings us back to seasteading as our only hope. A seastead could purchase protection contracts and dock in the territorial waters of its sovereign protector. It would appear this is the only way if it is possible at all.

maybe time to join the seasteading institute

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:51:49 PM

Grizzly Island?
Do bears swim?

If the market goes upstream then yes they do...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: