Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:54:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which coin/s are (Dash, Monero, ZCASH) are TRULY anonymous?  (Read 1520 times)
eid

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:13:12 PM

Which is bullshit of course, Dash is both decentralized with its miners and its masternodes and has a trustless setup:

This just proves that generalizethis can not be trusted with regards to statements about Dash.

Aren't a lot of those VPS hosts?

Yes, and qwizno is aware of this fact (as it's been pointed out many times, as recent as days ago--see link) and he chooses to ignore it and to continually post graphics that are meant to fool noobs.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1828180.msg18212134#msg18212134

Qwizno, he's still waiting for an answer--it's only a rhetorical question if you are full of shit.

It looks like more than 60% of Dash masternodes are hosted on VPS's.

I would like to know how this chart shows any evidence that Dash is "decentralised", or that all those masternodes aren't owned by one person.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
badenglishtea

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:15:14 PM

Which is bullshit of course, Dash is both decentralized with its miners and its masternodes and has a trustless setup:

This just proves that generalizethis can not be trusted with regards to statements about Dash.

Aren't a lot of those VPS hosts?

Yes, and qwizno is aware of this fact (as it's been pointed out many times, as recent as days ago--see link) and he chooses to ignore it and to continually post graphics that are meant to fool noobs.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1828180.msg18212134#msg18212134

Qwizno, he's still waiting for an answer--it's only a rhetorical question if you are full of shit.

It looks like more than 60% of Dash masternodes are hosted on VPS's.

I would like to know how this chart shows any evidence that Dash is "decentralised", or that all those masternodes aren't owned by one person.

This is why I sold my Dash masternode and doubled-down on PIVX. Everything + community so much better.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:35:03 PM

I've seen a lot of shilling on this forum, and I can't tell where it ends.
Can someone tell me the positives and negatives of Dash, Monero and Zcash?
Is one more anonymous than the other?

DASH's anonymity depends on the masternodes not keeping logs of the mixing they provide.  So most probably, DASH is good enough for some form of low level anonymity.  If you are hiding from the local police, that's OK.  If you are hiding from a serious agency, that's not good enough.  It is of course way better than using bitcoin with a centralized mixer, because that mixer knows all of your mixing.  With DASH, that is the same with masternodes, but not ALL of them belong to Evan.  So you may be using some master nodes belonging to different people, and maybe they are not all logging your mixing.

Monero is quite anonymous, but not 100%.  In fact, monero transactions become more opaque over time.  What is good with monero is that ALL transactions are anonymous.  That's not the case with DASH and ZCASH.

ZCASH is, if the crypto is right, 100% anonymous between those participants that activate the anon option.  If ZCASH would have been compulsory anon, that would have been good.  But it isn't.  

The trusted setup is not supposed to harm anonymity, but just overall number of coins.  If the trusted setup is not to be trusted, those keeping the secret keys can print as many coins as they want.  But they cannot deanonimise the chain.  

Monero and ZCASH both use advanced cryptography for anonymity.  DASH only uses mixers on a transparent chain.  In principle, ZCASH anon is perfect, but this is screwed with the fact that anon is optional.  So people "see you go anon".  Monero is good but not perfect, but nobody "sees you go anon" because everybody is.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:47:08 PM

I've seen a lot of shilling on this forum, and I can't tell where it ends.
Can someone tell me the positives and negatives of Dash, Monero and Zcash?
Is one more anonymous than the other?

DASH's anonymity depends on the masternodes not keeping logs of the mixing they provide.  So most probably, DASH is good enough for some form of low level anonymity.  If you are hiding from the local police, that's OK.  If you are hiding from a serious agency, that's not good enough.  It is of course way better than using bitcoin with a centralized mixer, because that mixer knows all of your mixing.  With DASH, that is the same with masternodes, but not ALL of them belong to Evan.  So you may be using some master nodes belonging to different people, and maybe they are not all logging your mixing.

Monero is quite anonymous, but not 100%.  In fact, monero transactions become more opaque over time.  What is good with monero is that ALL transactions are anonymous.  That's not the case with DASH and ZCASH.

ZCASH is, if the crypto is right, 100% anonymous between those participants that activate the anon option.  If ZCASH would have been compulsory anon, that would have been good.  But it isn't.  

The trusted setup is not supposed to harm anonymity, but just overall number of coins.  If the trusted setup is not to be trusted, those keeping the secret keys can print as many coins as they want.  But they cannot deanonimise the chain.  

Monero and ZCASH both use advanced cryptography for anonymity.  DASH only uses mixers on a transparent chain.  In principle, ZCASH anon is perfect, but this is screwed with the fact that anon is optional.  So people "see you go anon".  Monero is good but not perfect, but nobody "sees you go anon" because everybody is.

I think that this is a pretty fair analysis of Monero/Dash/Zcash. I'm glad you touched on the Zcash initial setup not effecting anonymity, even if done improperly. I was about to chime in with that, as some of the posts up thread are misleading in those regards.

If the trusted setup was done maliciously, then they could print an unlimited amount of coins undetectably, but it would not effect anonymity of Zcash transactions. The former is still pretty bad, but they were pretty transparent with the trust ceremony and I don't believe the setup was done malicously.
kalliper (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 04:14:30 PM

Honestly, I appreciate the input. I have my opinion, but it was interesting to see why people support (dash, monero etc) and the reasons. I think PIVX will not overtake Dash in same way that Etc will never overtake ETH.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: