Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:09:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, Crimes, and Terrorism  (Read 5561 times)
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 06:43:27 PM

Unfortunately bitcoin is often used for illegal activities including terrorism and itt anonimity contributed great deal to that. That is the reason why bitcoin had bad reputation very long time, some even considered it as a criminal currency although every currency in the world could be used for crime.
Bitcoin is the crypto for darknet lite users at this point, there's a ton of other cryptos that are far better are keeping their users completely anonymous and move money a bit faster than what Bitcoin can do. Most criminals using Bitcoin still are just looking to exploit a lot of users on the surfacenet, such as ransomware producers or the like. I rarely hear of anyone using BTC on Silk Road anymore, but that's just anecdotal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oppolee

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 06:49:04 PM

Unfortunately bitcoin is often used for illegal activities including terrorism and itt anonimity contributed great deal to that. That is the reason why bitcoin had bad reputation very long time, some even considered it as a criminal currency although every currency in the world could be used for crime.
Bitcoin is the crypto for darknet lite users at this point, there's a ton of other cryptos that are far better are keeping their users completely anonymous and move money a bit faster than what Bitcoin can do. Most criminals using Bitcoin still are just looking to exploit a lot of users on the surfacenet, such as ransomware producers or the like. I rarely hear of anyone using BTC on Silk Road anymore, but that's just anecdotal.

In the criminal world, as in the real world, the dollar is most used. The cash. Bitcoin is used very rarely. Still few people (and terrorists) know about bitcoin
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 07:35:18 PM

i do not consider that bitcoin is crime or terrorism its just a digital currency and which use for online transaction and and all bitcoin users is very satisfy from bitcoin and all people supporting bitcoin and no one thin negative about bitcoin.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:16:42 PM

i do not consider that bitcoin is crime or terrorism its just a digital currency and which use for online transaction and and all bitcoin users is very satisfy from bitcoin and all people supporting bitcoin and no one thin negative about bitcoin.
yeah we can not say that bitcoin is a crime because bitcoin is a crypto currency and bitcoin aimed is to use it for online shopping so no one can be says that bitcoin is crime.
nara1892

Activity: 1554
Merit: 654

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:50:23 PM

In some point of time, Bitcoin's usability will always boil down to 2 points, the good and bad use of it. Like cash, it will always depend on the person who has it, whether he will use it to some good deed or to a devastating act. We cannot limit it. But that will not hinder other people to use it if they just know what's the true value of it. Proper dissemination of knowledge about BTC is very important to emphasize its good use.

right. as a meter of fact, it depends on the person who uses the coin, but sometimes chance makes people do something bad or even crime. however, that's why we need to use money wisely, whatever what kind of mone it is.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
FasTroy

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 10:29:19 PM

yeah we can not say that bitcoin is a crime because bitcoin is a crypto currency and bitcoin aimed is to use it for online shopping so no one can be says that bitcoin is crime.
Of course, When people feel that bitcoin is a bad thing and it can start crimes and terrorism, They are all clumsy.
I don't like this idea about bitcoin. I feel angry when i hear that bad things about this awesome coin. I think if people start to descover more this cryptocurrency maybe they feel good about it. It have a huge of advantages which that help us to do a lot of thing whether in the internet or outside.

iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 11:01:13 PM

bitcoin created to be used and exploited in a positive thing. bitcoin created to facilitate all transactions in the digitial era today. use bitcoin is begative certainly not wise, people like that can not control their emotional. so that they fall to the abyss that is not good. the average they are criminals.
MyIdeas

Activity: 734

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 11:05:05 PM

I think you are showing bitcoin more horrible which is not in actual as in actual bitcoin is used by students and by software technicians and by well educated people while the uneducated criminals do not know much about it and if know then they are unable to handle bitcoin.
grandy

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 11:14:56 PM

i do not think bitcoin every be use for illegal activities.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:21:02 AM

By that same extension fiat is also bad because it's also used to fund crime and terrorism. Bitcoin is simply most, that's it. And money is simply a store and means of exchange of value, there's nothing inherently good or evil in that.

Bitcoin can be laundered and used to fund various illegal activities just like fiat can. It's just a matter of knowing what to do. I don't know the technical details but what I understand is that it's not totally anonymous and there are other cryptos better suited to illicit transactions. In that case bitcoin is only an intermediary rather than the actual currency used and so blame cannot be placed just on it.
igigme77

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:23:14 AM

Ohh my three favorite topics. Smiley

Bitcoin is the best.

Crime is cool but terrorism sucks.

Unless im terrorizing my dog at the dog park by not letting him play with his frvorite frisbee while waving it in his face.
 Grin

Shocked

Let's flower the moon. SPgwHfAkcrRb5uA6MSbujpaEYtwdxzanxk
Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO). eAXEjvLGMYA6N8ujGqHL9ZFScZPYqt5Z3o
savioroshan

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:32:42 AM

I think you are showing bitcoin more horrible which is not in actual as in actual bitcoin is used by students and by software technicians and by well educated people while the uneducated criminals do not know much about it and if know then they are unable to handle bitcoin.

Hey buddy, who told you criminals are not educated. I agree ,some are uneducated .But there are so many thieves who are well educated . They use their knowledge only for high tech robberies. Daily if you read newspaper you can see about it. Bank robberies, hacking etc etc. Uneducated people cant do these types of robberies. And for using bitcoin, one does not require master degree in any subject. Actually its very easy. Nowadays even uneducated person knows how to use a smart phone . So its not a big deal to learn how to use bitcoin.
sezecastronomine

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:55:39 AM

Recently, I heard report on national TV.
Police find some drug dealers and had interview with journalists.
They explained that it was very difficult to discover them because they bought drugs in the dark web and paid with bitcoin.
So, it's obvious that bitcoin is perfect tool for criminals.
No names, no bank or government control, it's very easy to exchange bitcoin to local currency etc.
I guess, it's the same for terrorists.
I don't know how to solve it.

You don't need to solve anything.
Savages have been among us since the genesis of civilization.

Just wait til Monero catches on, as in mobile wallets come into fruition, kovri hits stable and point and click clients enabling the everyday user to easily switch through Bitcoin to Monero and back again without leaving a link become the norm.
Agents are already addressing their concerns and we haven't even surpassed one year of sales on the number one DNM.
http://www.coindesk.com/fbi-concerned-about-criminal-use-of-private-cryptocurrency-monero/
hisuka

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:16:36 AM

Ive read any statement like this, bitcoin can be used by crimes & terrorism. But, its stillbe traceable, the people who uses bitcoin can do such things like this. Bitcoin purpose is not to do things such acts like this, its more uses on mining and sending a transactions through online.
dinofelis

Merit: 629

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:26:22 AM

For the case of terrorism, terrorist can easily purchase weaponry from other country. With the use of transaction using bitcoin, authorities will have a hard time tracing that transaction thus, will give advantage to the side of terrorists.

This is not an impossible scenario. People can now use bitcoin in any way they want to. It's inevitable.

If bitcoin was to have any significant utility - which it hasn't - it would be to allow the financial aspects of what you call terrorism and crime.  After all, that's what economic freedom is about: being able to spend/finance whatever you want with what is yours.  If you want to finance terrorism, this is your good right, and a good permissionless currency should allow you to do so.  If it doesn't, it means that it is not the free, permissionless currency you thought it was.

In fact, the ultimate test of whether a payment system is truly decentralized and permissionless, is: can I finance terrorism and crime with it ?  If I can't, it means the system isn't truly decentralized and permissionless.  It is the ultimate test of a freedom currency.

xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:29:00 AM

Ive read any statement like this, bitcoin can be used by crimes & terrorism. But, its stillbe traceable, the people who uses bitcoin can do such things like this. Bitcoin purpose is not to do things such acts like this, its more uses on mining and sending a transactions through online.

True, but it is anonymous.

People shouldn't be worried about bitcoin to be honest. Bitcoin is like cash. It is technically anonymous, but it has a traceable ledger that people can refer to to find out about transactions that one person has made.

Monero on the other hand, is designed for cyber fraud and money laundering, to be honest.

There is really no point of having anonymity beyond bitcoin's standards.

And i certainly do not think that terrorists are even aware of bitcoin yet. They would rather stick to the cash the government issues.
dinofelis

Merit: 629

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:35:15 AM

This is a myth. Bitcoin is way way more traceable than fiat bank accounts in off-shore banks.
Blackstorm

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:42:11 AM

I do not think that it is a terrorist currency and I know that not much of the illegal activities are done with bitcoin because bitcoin is a new currency and for the understanding of it we require a good knowledge . I want to say that well educated people can adopt and handle bitcoin and these educated people are not involved in crimes and the terrorists are not much educated so they will find it hard to adopt.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:45:21 AM

Bitcoin's anonymity is really a great characteristic. It enables users to use BTC in any transactions with nearly no traces. But is this really a good thing? Let us consider utilizing bitcoin in a negative way. Since bitcoin is considered currency, there is no doubt that a person that needs money will not reject bitcoin even if it involves unethical or illegal act.

Due to the anonymity of bitcoin, some uses bitcoin in a negative way [citation needed]. They can easily use bitcoin in paying others to commit crimes. They can even use bitcoin in bribery and/or money laundering. This characteristic of bitcoin are abused [citation needed] and it will never end well.

For the case of terrorism, terrorist can easily purchase weaponry from other country. With the use of transaction using bitcoin, authorities will have a hard time tracing that transaction thus, will give advantage to the side of terrorists.

This is not an impossible scenario. People can now use bitcoin in any way they want to. It's inevitable.

Indeed, there are people who are using bitcoin for bad things. Pretty bad things in fact.

If you ask anyone on the streets what they think of bitcoin one of the top responses they'll probably give is money laundering, fraud, buying drugs on the deep web, prostitution, all these illegal things that people do.

But there isn't really anything we can do about it.

Terrorists are able to use fiat currency as well. And most probably do due to the fact that bitcoin is still underappreciated around the world especially in areas where internet usage is still low. If they choose bitcoin to operate on, then that's like choosing cash. People use cash to buy groceries, and people use bitcoin to buy legal things as well.
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:47:41 AM

This is a myth. Bitcoin is way way more traceable than fiat bank accounts in off-shore banks.

Yes, which is why i went on to say that altcoins like Monero and Dash are probably the thing that law enforcement should be more worried about because these coins are 100% speculation + illegal usage.

I take that back though, bitcoin is only pseudo-anonymous, which means that there are addresses that can be traced publicly, but it is very very difficult for someone who doesn't have access to top secret government info to trace down these individual addresses to link them to an individual.

Anyways, thanks for pointing that out.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: