Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:23:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tertiary/Higher Education  (Read 4816 times)
JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:20:13 PM

The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

That belongs on a T-shirt!

Libertarians say it best? Cheesy?
Shh! You're not supposed to say the L word. They are watching, and we all know it's extremely illegal to be... Concerned about natural rights and the proper treatment of our fellow human beings.
Zaih (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:09:24 PM

The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

Absolutely love it!

And thanks everyone for your opinions, enjoyed reading them Smiley Expected mainly negative feedback to be honest, but I'm glad to see other people share my disagreement!

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:22:26 PM

A private education which must contort to the state's definition of what an education is, is not a private education.  Granted, colleges generally give a much better experience over high school, but, I'm still stuck on rails for 2 years before I can have an art teacher tell me to go paint so I can learn how to paint exactly as well as I have been without an art teacher Undecided

Give me a completely private college whose intention is not to "prepare you for the work force" (god fucking damn it), but to provide a haven for people to go to learn and become educated for the sake of education, so they may better their lives and be happier as individuals (in other words, the whole point of philosophy), and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Quote from: Wikipedia on the Apocalypse
An apocalypse, translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation,

Psssst.  The super-duper-secret information resulting in this apocalypse, which will finally end the biblical time period we've been suffering through, is that a philosophical approach to life will make you happy, and thus make others happy.  Now all we gotta do is disclose this information to the rest of the world and we'll all be dandy.

2Kool4Skewl

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 09:06:02 AM

Y didn't I start this thread.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:36:19 PM

Probably in some cases like Engineering it can provide wide base of knowledge.

Though I agree that some of it seem to be bullshit.

Still, you need some institutions providing the training for basic research. Things are just damm complex nowdays.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:54:12 PM

And people thought Bitcoin was a bubble...

Discuss

It's just to way to streamline citizens into a cycle of debt and dependency. Back in high school all my teachers would say was "we're here to help you pass government tests and get into college", and that's pretty much all they did. You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

Debt is like quicksand, and the sooner you get the kids into it the better.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 01:14:24 AM

You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

Sounds like something a person without a college degree would say  Grin
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:30:49 AM

You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

1m1nd

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:25:15 AM

A private education which must contort to the state's definition of what an education is, is not a private education.  Granted, colleges generally give a much better experience over high school, but, I'm still stuck on rails for 2 years before I can have an art teacher tell me to go paint so I can learn how to paint exactly as well as I have been without an art teacher Undecided

Give me a completely private college whose intention is not to "prepare you for the work force" (god fucking damn it), but to provide a haven for people to go to learn and become educated for the sake of education, so they may better their lives and be happier as individuals (in other words, the whole point of philosophy), and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Quote from: Wikipedia on the Apocalypse
An apocalypse, translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation,

Psssst.  The super-duper-secret information resulting in this apocalypse, which will finally end the biblical time period we've been suffering through, is that a philosophical approach to life will make you happy, and thus make others happy.  Now all we gotta do is disclose this information to the rest of the world and we'll all be dandy.

Thanks for this

If you haven't watched it already, you should watch the documentary "Happy" from 2011
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:58:08 PM

I can vouch for this.  It's no exaggeration to say that philosophy quite literally saved me from the abyss and changed my life.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:35:45 PM

Thanks for this

If you haven't watched it already, you should watch the documentary "Happy" from 2011

Haven't heard of this one; I'll definitely check it out!

I can vouch for this.  It's no exaggeration to say that philosophy quite literally saved me from the abyss and changed my life.

+1  Same here!  I can officially say I ain't stupid no mores  Cool

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 09:04:22 PM

I'd be careful with that one. There are a lot of philosophical beliefs that are kinda of.................
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:20:23 PM

I'd be careful with that one. There are a lot of philosophical beliefs that are kinda of.................

Ehh two different concepts; philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge, whereas philosophical beliefs are the fruit of philosophers--the after product.  A philosopher doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to any or even most philosophical beliefs; I'm not sure if this is possible without contradicting oneself.  With that said, someone who earned a degree in philosophy is only guaranteed to understand a variety of philosophical beliefs.  A real philosopher is not one who pursues such a degree, but one who asks questions and follows answers to the end.  On the other side of this concept, a philosopher may have knowledge of common philosophical beliefs, but is guaranteed to be equipped with their own interpretations of life, which will happen to coincide with others, as opposed to someone who is largely aware of philosophical concepts but spends more time learning that than asking their own questions.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 09:25:44 PM

Ehh two different concepts; philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge, whereas philosophical beliefs are the fruit of philosophers--the after product.  A philosopher doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to any or even most philosophical beliefs; I'm not sure if this is possible without contradicting oneself.  With that said, someone who earned a degree in philosophy is only guaranteed to understand a variety of philosophical beliefs.  A real philosopher is not one who pursues such a degree, but one who asks questions and follows answers to the end.  On the other side of this concept, a philosopher may have knowledge of common philosophical beliefs, but is guaranteed to be equipped with their own interpretations of life, which will happen to coincide with others, as opposed to someone who is largely aware of philosophical concepts but spends more time learning that than asking their own questions.

This post is full of so much win.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dotcom

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:50:42 AM

i'm actually in my 3rd year of college right now, doing pretty well.

it doesn't take a genius to see that our education system as a whole runs counter to most of the principles we claim to instill in kids.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 03:26:31 AM

it doesn't take a genius to see that our education system as a whole runs counter to most of the principles we claim to instill in kids.

Yay! What are you learnin'?
dotcom

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:41:32 AM

Yay! What are you learnin'?

comp sci, interactive simulation

physics engines, collision detection, graphics and whatnot

hoping to go indie eventually, but who knows
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:52:07 AM

I'm considering dropping out of college, myself.  Not that I don't love to learn, but I have a theory on the proper way to educate people, and it isn't by keeping track of every class they take, when they show up to that class, and telling them whether or not their understanding of a particular subject is good enough, or if that one point means they don't actually understand anything.

Needless to say, I'm probably going to fail my US History class Tongue  I picked up a lot of stuff from it, but I'm not doing so hot, on account of me not being able to remember who did what and when.  The "why", I get.  It's the rest that I neither care about, nor feel I should care about.  I aced my federal government class, anyway.

What I don't get is why I couldn't learn this stuff on my own; if I have to read the textbook before I show up to class each day, why shouldn't I just stay at home and simply read the textbook?  Why am I paying a professor to tell me to study, when I can study on my own, tell myself to study (or get a friend to do it,) and get the same experience?  Why this dependency on an outside force (which just happens to be under the thumb of a higher power) when every resource is there?  If I were taught how to teach myself in my first 13 years of mandatory education, I'd be in a much better spot right now.  Seems modern day college is nothing more than a debt trap.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 06:04:05 AM

If I were taught how to teach myself in my first 13 years of mandatory education, I'd be in a much better spot right now.  Seems modern day college is nothing more than a debt trap.
If they were to do that, they wouldn't need 13 years of indoctrination.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dotcom

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:09:04 AM

Why am I paying a professor to tell me to study, when I can study on my own, tell myself to study (or get a friend to do it,) and get the same experience?  Why this dependency on an outside force (which just happens to be under the thumb of a higher power) when every resource is there?

Because then they give you a piece of paper that will nearly fully define your worth at most job interviews.

Seems modern day college is nothing more than a debt trap.

That's because it is. I've learned more from self-education than I ever have from public schooling or my current college.

Aside from college, k-12 is more for indoctrination and mental reliance than actual education.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: