Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:45:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AR 15 Lowers  (Read 1960 times)
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:42:34 PM

There is no way that the BATFE is going to agree that bolting one half to the other half constitutes 20% or more of the process of manufacturing a lower.

That much is true...that's why I want to see plans. 80% receivers still require machining, which bolting definitely is not. That said, I have no idea how you could implement a bolted lower. More info, OP!
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:46:51 PM

Out of curiousity, how many of these letters have you seen?

Tactical Machining posted theirs.  So there's one.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:12:35 PM

Well I'll be damned. I've never encountered one before, but I've never purchased any boutique blanks.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:43:22 PM

Well I'll be damned. I've never encountered one before, but I've never purchased any boutique blanks.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:24:51 PM

So all of those 80% or 95% lowers are able to be sold because they have zero machining done to the trigger area. These bolt together units will have to have that done.

The only way I see this working is if you just shipped the two halves in separate boxes at separate times from different locations, and just didn't care for the legalities.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:34:38 PM

If OP is openly advertising that he's selling 80% lower receivers he's going to get an inquiry from the ATF sooner or later.

An 80% lower is a hunk of metal.  An 81% receiver is a regulated firearm.  The ATF determines how compliant you are and issues a letter when they're satisfied.

OP's idea for a bolt-together lower receiver is basically a 99% and won't fly.  Hopefully he understands how easy it easy to commit a felony and go to prison in this business.

Shipping the 2 halves separately to avoid these regs will land OP in prison.

Sothh (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:59:44 PM

If OP is openly advertising that he's selling 80% lower receivers he's going to get an inquiry from the ATF sooner or later.

An 80% lower is a hunk of metal.  An 81% receiver is a regulated firearm.  The ATF determines how compliant you are and issues a letter when they're satisfied.

OP's idea for a bolt-together lower receiver is basically a 99% and won't fly.  Hopefully he understands how easy it easy to commit a felony and go to prison in this business.

The design I am working on could actually be shipped in more than two parts, each part being a flat sheet of metal with holes.  If I go to jail for selling a few pieces of metal, then this country really is screwed.

On a side note, I will make sure the product is legally compliant before I ship, and if I am forced to, I will only sell 80% lowers, or I will ship though a ATF dealer.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:50:09 AM

The design I am working on could actually be shipped in more than two parts, each part being a flat sheet of metal with holes.  If I go to jail for selling a few pieces of metal, then this country really is screwed.

On a side note, I will make sure the product is legally compliant before I ship, and if I am forced to, I will only sell 80% lowers, or I will ship though a ATF dealer.

A judge will not consider your splitting a lower into two, or even three, trivially-assembleable pieces to be cute or clever. He will consider it to be willful flaunting of federal gun laws and will make an example of you. These laws are not taken lightly.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Sothh (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:10:44 AM

What if I design an AR lower that is made out of legos and epoxy?  Then what? Cheesy
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:37:13 AM

What if I design an AR lower that is made out of legos and epoxy?  Then what? Cheesy
I would assume it's the same as a person who makes and sells 80% lowers, or those 3D printed lowers. As long as you are making one for yourself, it's legal. As soon as you start selling it, it's illegal.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Sothh (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:00:50 AM

I would assume it's the same as a person who makes and sells 80% lowers, or those 3D printed lowers. As long as you are making one for yourself, it's legal. As soon as you start selling it, it's illegal.

No, I mean what if I design an ar lower made out of legos, and then sell you a bag of legos along with plans to make a lower of of them. Cheesy  Just saying it would be really funny, and maybe even doable.
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 03:22:31 AM

He's not selling them, he's trading them for something called a "bitcoin."  Grin

barbarousrelic

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:26:01 AM

No, I mean what if I design an ar lower made out of legos, and then sell you a bag of legos along with plans to make a lower of of them. Cheesy  Just saying it would be really funny, and maybe even doable.

I'm sure the BATF agents breaking out your windows at 2:00 AM with tear gas grenades will find it hilarious.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:22:28 PM

When you're in court the judge will not find this amusing.  Oh, and be sure not to drop the soap.

Sothh (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:41:34 PM

But its not illegal to sell a plan or legos...
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

My understanding is that would be legal. This would be similar to an 80% lower with jigs to make milling out the fire control group easier.

That being said I cannot imagine an epoxied lego lower would hold up well. An AR-15 lower isn't a pressure bearing part but you're going to have a fun time keeping the rear take-down pin through-hole from snapping off with just legos and epoxy  Grin
barbarousrelic

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:32:11 PM

It's not illegal to sell steel or aluminum either, unless they fit the definition of what the government defines as "guns" (and you aren't licensed to do so)

stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:37:27 PM

Your first mistake is you're trying to apply logic and common sense to this.  Gun laws can be arcane and easily misinterpreted but that's how it is.

ArcologyPrime

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:19:57 PM

That being said I cannot imagine an epoxied lego lower would hold up well. An AR-15 lower isn't a pressure bearing part but you're going to have a fun time keeping the rear take-down pin through-hole from snapping off with just legos and epoxy  Grin

Legos, yes. However, this:

http://www.infowars.com/3d-printed-lower-receiver-withstands-more-than-650-rounds-gun-grabbers-panic/

Honestly I'd rather build a makerbot 3d-printer. Much more likely to be legal, too! Cheesy
Draxus

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:54:54 PM

If you want to be safe, stick with 80% lowers...you could however include the guides for what needs to be milled and drilled.  That is perfectly legal.

In my opinion you should be able to send me a fully assembled lower without any hassle but sadly my opinion is not the law  Undecided
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: