Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LIST - Projects with terrible initial distribution - highly manipulated schemes  (Read 1456 times)
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 04:55:27 PM

From your answers I will pick out the most relevant points..

Indeed, you picked the most relevant points what fits to your agenda Smiley. OK, I'll leave you alone with the offtopic stuff.

BTW if you want to pick all coins what can be vulnerable because of large holdings I suggest pressing Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C on the Announcements board and then Ctrl-V here :/. Maybe you can remove XEM and the already dead coins to save space.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptonia

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 06:32:12 PM

RLC - another Insta ICO - do your own dd

RLC seems fine. They clearly let everyone know the time well in advance. Everyone had 3 hours to buy. I'm in Australia and it was inconvenient for me to wait for that time and I did.
I think that anyone who wanted to had a fair chance to buy.
It's no surprise it sold out though. They have a great team and have been working on this for many years
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 08:08:04 PM

RLC seems fine. They clearly let everyone know the time well in advance. Everyone had 3 hours to buy. I'm in Australia and it was inconvenient for me to wait for that time and I did.
It's no surprise it sold out though. They have a great team and have been working on this for many years

This project is open to gross manipulation and market making. This is a trustless arena we are trying to create. Ico's of this nature have zero place here. If the distribution is wide open for manipulation and market making then it is unacceptable and very likely a self enrichment scheme for the insiders and devs.

adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:33:04 AM

This project is open to gross manipulation and market making.
Why?

This is a trustless arena we are trying to create. Ico's of this nature have zero place here. If the distribution is wide open for manipulation and market making then it is unacceptable and very likely a self enrichment scheme for the insiders and devs.
How was the distribution wide open for manipulation? Didn't it sit there for three hours, giving all a chance?

I can understand why it went so fast. the team is very impressive. the lead dev has ...

co-authored more than 80 peer-reviewed scientific papers and won two Best Paper awards.

http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/~gfedak/

At the time of the ICO Golem was around the $100M mark, so this project got snapped up quickly at a much lower valuation, but it still sat there for a few hours.

cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:25:28 AM

This project is open to gross manipulation and market making.
Why?

This is a trustless arena we are trying to create. Ico's of this nature have zero place here. If the distribution is wide open for manipulation and market making then it is unacceptable and very likely a self enrichment scheme for the insiders and devs.
How was the distribution wide open for manipulation? Didn't it sit there for three hours, giving all a chance?

I can understand why it went so fast. the team is very impressive. the lead dev has ...

co-authored more than 80 peer-reviewed scientific papers and won two Best Paper awards.

http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/~gfedak/

At the time of the ICO Golem was around the $100M mark, so this project got snapped up quickly at a much lower valuation, but it still sat there for a few hours.

The fewer people that the token is distributed to initially obviously the easier it is to manipulate the market.

Would you not wonder why any ICO is not open ended if they are wanting to attract development funding?
The only reason to create a closed ended insta ico is so that devs and insiders get to resell it for magnitudes more.

If you had a one year distribution open ended so that people could buy at any point for the same ico price then it would not be highly profitable when it hits exchanges because anyone that wanted some at ico price would have obtained them.

Now when it was a 3 hour instamine the devs and insiders know that 99% of the board does not have these tokens that they sold to themselves or insiders for way cheaper than they know they are going to resell them all for on exchanges making themselves rich with no accountability for a huge sum only a smaller sum they made up as a closed ended ico. Also it is far easier to pump it when only a few people hold the vast bulk and collude together to make the markets they want.

In a trustless system there should be a trustless transparent distribution end of story.

Insta icos are geared up for max scamming.

I also find it strange these insta ICO's get straight on big exchanges when many other great projects do not.

POW or a more transparent highly advertised very long duration ICO is the only way to go anything else is geared up to be a scam.

cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:32:10 AM

How about the highest funded crowdfunded project in history?

Which one is that?

Although really we just want to make sure we are not conflating raising huge funds with insider scams that oftern deliberately do not want to raise huge funds initially. Only when they anonymously resell later on exchanges for magnitudes more when they collude and pump.

vlight

Activity: 656
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:49:40 PM

Not sure about Iota's exact distribution, but I never heard of it once until several weeks after it was already concluded; and I am in this industry full-time, so if anyone was going to hear about it, I should have been one of them.  It seems pretty clear to me that the people that run these ICO's generally under advertise in order to buy into their own projects and pick of huge amounts of the supply early on, they can then say that "anyone could have bought in" and as a result it looks better than having a flat out premine.  I think Ethereum is guilty of the same general strategy.

IOTA was announced in advance. The only reason it raised relatively small amount of BTC is because it was the end of the bear market and all coins were very cheap, interest in ICOs was very low. Besides, the team haven't really delivered with their previous project which raised even more concerns. It was a long wait until IOTA even went live and i thought several times that it may have been scam. Many initial investors sold part of their stake to hedge the risk. Anyone who were interested in buying IOTA could have done it as their was more than enough time. If you were in this full-time and didn't hear about upcoming IOTA ICO, then you did a poor job, no offense.
John Titor

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:07:41 PM

Not sure about Iota's exact distribution, but I never heard of it once until several weeks after it was already concluded; and I am in this industry full-time, so if anyone was going to hear about it, I should have been one of them.  It seems pretty clear to me that the people that run these ICO's generally under advertise in order to buy into their own projects and pick of huge amounts of the supply early on, they can then say that "anyone could have bought in" and as a result it looks better than having a flat out premine.  I think Ethereum is guilty of the same general strategy.

IOTA was announced in advance. The only reason it raised relatively small amount of BTC is because it was the end of the bear market and all coins were very cheap, interest in ICOs was very low. Besides, the team haven't really delivered with their previous project which raised even more concerns. It was a long wait until IOTA even went live and i thought several times that it may have been scam. Many initial investors sold part of their stake to hedge the risk. Anyone who were interested in buying IOTA could have done it as their was more than enough time. If you were in this full-time and didn't hear about upcoming IOTA ICO, then you did a poor job, no offense.

None of that excuses them, and that last sentence is just plain wrong do not insult me, they fucking under-advertised and it looked pretty deliberate.  If anything, their inability to get their coin listed on any exchanges looks like a clear play to be able to pick up more of the supply OTC before market release (if that ever even happens).

Besides it's not even clear if they can get the thing to work without centralized servers anyway.  Anyone that wants to invest in a DAG should invest in ByteBall, which is already live and running on exchanges, and it far more realistic with what it aims to accomplish.  Iota is pie in the sky bullshit.
Zggdrasil

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:46:15 PM

When it come to old coins, is always good to read this one
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins

A huge investigation on many coins out there, it helped me (even if it was too late for some bitcoins)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: