Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:02:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Bitcoin Central  (Read 2374 times)
MaxLAMF (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:09:21 AM

Hi fellas,

just thought I need to warn you to never use Bitcoin Central as a trading platfrom or to buy Coins from them.
I wanted to try them out about 2 weeks and wanted to buy about 1 BTC. When I tried to transfer the money, my bank called and asked me if I really wanted to do so, because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers. they wouldn´t be on this list if they haven´t done something illegal/scamming.
Just wanted to warn you before one may looses his money there.

watch out!

bye,
Max

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MykelSilver

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:11:51 AM

The whole Bitcoin concept is on the banks blacklist......
btcmank

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:35:38 AM

Hi fellas,

just thought I need to warn you to never use Bitcoin Central as a trading platfrom or to buy Coins from them.
I wanted to try them out about 2 weeks and wanted to buy about 1 BTC. When I tried to transfer the money, my bank called and asked me if I really wanted to do so, because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers. they wouldn´t be on this list if they haven´t done something illegal/scamming.

watch out!

bye,
Max
You are 100% right. I work at a bank and indeed they are blacklisted by us. I plan to find out why soon.. but they do have many federal cases open. Be careful People
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:39:37 AM

When I tried to transfer the money, my bank called and asked me if I really wanted to do so, because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers. they wouldn´t be on this list if they haven´t done something illegal/scamming.

Please don't make defaming remarks with no justification.  

Banks are blacklisting Bitcoin exchanges because the security model that banks employ is woefully inadequate so blacklisting Bitcoin exchanges is easier than dealing with the security issue that remains.(e.g., implementing two factor authentication as a requirement to make a bank transfer online).

Also, if you weren't aware, Bitcoin-Central is currently not accepting new deposits nor performing trading:
 - https://bitcoin-central.net

Last year they announced plans to integrate with a banking network partner for the exchange's EUR accounts.  

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bitcoinfly

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 08:42:50 AM

I don't know Bitcoin Central and haven't used them, but the first thing first: Never trust any bank!
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 10:09:15 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=186609.0
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:58:46 PM

Hi fellas,

watch out!

bye,
Max
You are 100% right. I work at a bank and indeed they are blacklisted by us. I plan to find out why soon.. but they do have many federal cases open. Be careful People

Yeah, because bank clerks know all about federal cases involving a European processor. WD teenposter, you're doing it sockright.

FWIW: As far as I know they actually paid out everyone when they came back last time. They claim the 2nd exploit was related to OVH going rogue, which on the face is credible (slush had the same problem etc).

The idea of taking the entire system down and doing a take-your-time audit of every nook and cranny is sound, and a lot more intelligent and mature than what you'd expect from the average Bitcoin idiot (such as for instance - picking randomly - the Bitfloor dude). Whether it will result in a platform that's never again hacked is of course unclear, whether they'll have any customers when they come back online is also unclear, but what they're doing appears the right thing.

Not that the peanut gallery has any clue what the right thing looks like or anything of the sort, but just sayin'.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:09:49 PM

When I tried to transfer the money, my bank called and asked me if I really wanted to do so, because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers. they wouldn´t be on this list if they haven´t done something illegal/scamming.

You really believe this? Seriously?

As said by others, banks frequently blacklist Bitcoin exchanges because criminals steal some of their clients credentials and use them to send money to these exchanges, in the hope of quickly converting this money to Bitcoin.
Instead of making their systems more secure, they prefer to simply blacklist the exchanges.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:10:22 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 06:09:22 PM by FTWbitcoinFTW

So you open a post discrediting Bitcoin-Central but you have a bitcoin.de referral in your sign.

Seems legit...

As far as I know they actually paid out everyone when they came back last time
This

The idea of taking the entire system down and doing a take-your-time audit of every nook and cranny is sound, and a lot more intelligent and mature than what you'd expect from the average Bitcoin idiot
This

The whole Bitcoin concept is on the banks blacklist......
This

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:18:20 PM

...because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers.

If you were put on the US no-fly list, would that mean you're a terrorist ?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 04:53:41 AM

...because they´re on my bank´s blacklist. So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers.

If you were put on the US no-fly list, would that mean you're a terrorist ?

Probably not, but it does mean one can't fly.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:37:14 PM

Most people never go anywhere near the US when they're flying so this list is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
reg

Activity: 463

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:49:18 PM

So Bitcoin Central really must be scammers. they wouldn´t be on this list if they haven´t done something illegal/scamming.

hi guys, Just thought I would tell you from the UK, bitcoin-central is the best exchange I have dealt with. They transacted all fiat and btc promptly and fairly and run a reasonable exchange. When they had a security breach ( who hasn't ) they were prompt, up front and refunded everyone fiat and btc. waiting for them to re-open so I can buy now btc is lower for a while. reg. 
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:20:07 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 04:53:07 PM by MPOE-PR

They claim the 2nd exploit was related to OVH going rogue, which on the face is credible (slush had the same problem etc).

Nevermind credible, meanwhile OVH admitted to it.

Most people never go anywhere near the US when they're flying so this list is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I know of at least one person boycotting any US travel atm.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: