Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:49:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RANSOMWARE impact  (Read 12281 times)
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 11:21:07 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/21/north-koreas-secret-cyber-warfare-cell-unit-180-likely-have/

north korea is thought to be the origin of this wave. do you think they have an account on btc-e?

Remember that all NSA / CIA spy and hacking tools were released into the wild. One of those tools soul purpose was to leave breadcrumbs behind that it was whatever entity the agencies wanted it to look like. Don't you think that it's rather convenient that it is traced back to North Korea?

Trust no one or nothing in the hack. For all we know it is the US Govt doing it. There is no way to tell at this stage.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 11:54:16 AM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act

Well, so far your theory remains a far cry from reality

Bitcoin has been rising and it will likely continue to rise in the future. If anything, it proves its robustness as a decentralized (read free of government control) currency. Using it for extorting ransom is a sort of real life stress test, but that doesn't mean in and of itself that this is the only field of Bitcoin's application. I'm in no case justifying such acts (i.e. encrypting file systems and then demanding money to be paid to decrypt it), but, as to me, the effect of that would be positive on Bitcoin in the long run. In other words, don't shoot the messenger, he is doing his best!

as it look now it prove that investors don't care at all about any thing outside of their daily trading activity or they are not the same people, i mean it's not like the people affected by this malware are the same that are pumping now bitcoin...

They certainly do care

But this FarCry event is evidently not something which would attract their attention for longer than a few second timespan. If some exchange got hacked (say, Bitfinex again), that would certainly raise a stir in the Bitcoin investment establishment. If anything, 50 bitcoins is not a big deal really, so people affected by this ransomware cannot be pumping Bitcoin right now unless they buy up bitcoins in massive amounts for future payouts, of course (as the saying goes, if it rains it pours)

I think that if anything, that attack made a little scratch in bitcoins public reputation.
So in my opinion, the attack would have brought the bitcoin price even down, not up.
To my big surprise, most media did not even mention that the ransom should have been paid in bitcoin.
They were more focused on the attack itself, the reports about how bitcoin was involved in this were really small.

As to me, Bitcoin came out completely unscathed

And I don't quite understand how this attack would have brought the Bitcoin price down when we only saw the price hitting new ATH's all the time. Right now the price is over 2,100 dollars per coin already so any such claims are heavily detached from reality. In fact, the reverse can well be true, i.e. people have heard about Bitcoin being used by successful and prosperous hackers and started buying it themselves. Apart from that, why would media want to emphasize Bitcoin as ransom, if this is what everyone expects nowadays anyway? Really, would they draw any special attention to it if dollars had been demanded as ransom? It's the same with bitcoins already, there is no more sensation in that

AK47-

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:05:00 PM

There are many different ways available other than bitcoin for the payment in such acts. Ransomware wasn't been able to ruin the image of bitcoin. It was just a mode of payment and nothing else. On the other hand, at my place people didn't really know about bitcoin. Due to this hacking attack, people come to know about bitcoin. Many people were busy in discussion. Even I made some people invest in bitcoin too. So, on the whole nothing has happened to the image of bitcoin.
secdark

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:08:08 PM

Till the ransomware (or "hack") isn't in the millions nothing will happen and the government wont react.

Governments, regulations, and hacks (like Mt Gox) are the ones that really impact BTC the most. My biggest concern right now are China's authorization for BTC withdrawal, and the duration + high fees of BTC (some rumors going around)
The government already give reaction to this case because the ransomware itself attacking many vital things. It's right that there's no significant impact towards bitcoin but still it's indirectly giving bad image for bitcoin that could make bitcoin struggling to gain more users and increase its demands.

Well maybe there is no direct impact of Ransomeware to bitcoins but indirectly a lot has been talked about and discussed. Maybe people are arguing  that if bitcoin is declared a major currency all over the world, attacks like this will be more and world will not be a safe place for storing the money. People will feel unsafe with their digital coins as anyone can hack them or demand in form of a Ransom without ever knowing who the thief was . Sad

I think it has a big impact in bitcoin bro. Though in ransomware they read about bitcoin then that will to sort of negative thinking again about bitcoin and others also getting curious of bitcoin so they are trying to learn what is bitcoin but now i think nothing happens with bitcoin unlike in the firstweek of ransomware because the price of that time it dumps but now it is really high huge so now i think ransomware is not affecting bitcoin

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY     
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.       
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.   
|    The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency   
  WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.   
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄████▄▄   
█▄          ██████████▀
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:13:14 PM

Perhaps an increase in bitcoin prices currently affects one of them from ransomware.
Now bitcoin is increasingly being used by people. A negative thing that produces a positive thing.
Prodigan786

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:51:54 PM

I think its a positive move for bitcoin because of ransomware people are trying to understand what is bitcoin and how it works . of course bitcoin price will increase because people are doing lots of transaction through bitcoin for decrypt the virus . But negative side also is there people are relating ransomeware such a bad thing with bitcoin even though its just a payment mode
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 09:15:29 PM

The Ransomware been going around for years yet people within the news don't really talk about it much because they want to scare people into thinking that there is some sort of new threat within the nations. If people wanted to test the Ransomware with their computers then they will see that something like that could get patched though I would recommend anyone with a virus to just purchase a different computer because the computer is already affect with the virus and i prone to happen again if the person does not know where it came from.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
millgates

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 10:43:41 PM

I think ransomeware was makes the popularity of bitcoin is grow up. So many people were looking for articles about ransomeware wich bitcoin is also there.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 10:57:35 PM

I think ransomeware was makes the popularity of bitcoin is grow up. So many people were looking for articles about ransomeware wich bitcoin is also there.
It may make Bitcoin more popular but it definitely won't be for the right reasons if that's all that they learn Bitcoin is used for. I personally really wouldn't want to see Bitcoin being known as the "ransomware currency" but it can't be avoided considering the nature of it all. I don't really know what else there is that can be done beyond hoping people find interest in the currency itself through them learning about it from news articles on ransomware.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 11:41:37 PM

Well, that was the point of the new Ransomware software. People wanted to make the Ransomware involved with Bitcoin so Bitcoin could get much more popularity and within the world. Just like the worm virus spreads really fast to many computers, the information of the Ransomware virus spreads fast among the news and rumor's going around.
Someone could have used the Ransomware to only accept regular fiat payments yet they decided to integrate Bitcoin into it instead so the price of Bitcoin would go up.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
SoulBargain

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 01:50:06 AM

Well, that was the point of the new Ransomware software. People wanted to make the Ransomware involved with Bitcoin so Bitcoin could get much more popularity and within the world. Just like the worm virus spreads really fast to many computers, the information of the Ransomware virus spreads fast among the news and rumor's going around.
Someone could have used the Ransomware to only accept regular fiat payments yet they decided to integrate Bitcoin into it instead so the price of Bitcoin would go up.
But also it could put a stain in Bitcoin's reputation though if they are not that open-minded enough that anything can be used legally or illegally that depends on the hand of the user together with its motives and intentions as to where they will use it. Though it is true that it made Bitcoin popular but still some just asks then lose interest so we can say that the level of interest and curiosity should reach the enough requirement that would drive them to enter the world of Bitcoin which if we say that the Bitcoin is on the digital world, online world, in the internet then some if not most think that it is a scam which is a manifestation of close-mindedness.
Schuyler

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 02:01:28 AM

It may make Bitcoin more popular but it definitely won't be for the right reasons if that's all that they learn Bitcoin is used for. I personally really wouldn't want to see Bitcoin being known as the "ransomware currency" but it can't be avoided considering the nature of it all. I don't really know what else there is that can be done beyond hoping people find interest in the currency itself through them learning about it from news articles on ransomware.
That ransomware hardly had any negative impact on bitcoin, if at all. In fact, the price has been soaring even higher after this incident and the bitcoin investors just seem to ignore that news altogether. Instead, they are focusing on holding and saving more because of the potentially higher prices even before the year ends.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 11:21:29 AM

Highly visible shit like this, will be used by governments to regulate and/or outlaw crypto, and stops normal people from touching crypto

THIS IS VERY BAD  Sad

I would not be surprised if the recent -10% move is connected with Wannacry.

Nah. The price was (still is) overbought. It's normal to see the price drop if you take into consideration that people are cashing out, plus the fact that there is a poor level of buy support throughout the entire market at these levels. I personally don't give a single damn about the wave of ransomware infections, and others shouldn't too if they take care of their system security properly.

yea, but this ransomware spread is hitting government PC instance.
sure we, who aware such PC security won't take this issue serious, but imagine of a govn. instance with all public data got this on their server.
Well this is going to impact bitcoin of course, but i do not think that it will impact it too much. Those people who made it simply used the moment of bitcoin worth, and made some money out of it true criminal. But there will always be people who will use criminal act to make some money, and as always people will find a way to fight back so... its nothing to worry about. Bitcoin will survive Cheesy .
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 11:32:45 AM

Highly visible shit like this, will be used by governments to regulate and/or outlaw crypto, and stops normal people from touching crypto

THIS IS VERY BAD  Sad

I would not be surprised if the recent -10% move is connected with Wannacry.

Nah. The price was (still is) overbought. It's normal to see the price drop if you take into consideration that people are cashing out, plus the fact that there is a poor level of buy support throughout the entire market at these levels. I personally don't give a single damn about the wave of ransomware infections, and others shouldn't too if they take care of their system security properly.

yea, but this ransomware spread is hitting government PC instance.
sure we, who aware such PC security won't take this issue serious, but imagine of a govn. instance with all public data got this on their server.
Well this is going to impact bitcoin of course, but i do not think that it will impact it too much. Those people who made it simply used the moment of bitcoin worth, and made some money out of it true criminal. But there will always be people who will use criminal act to make some money, and as always people will find a way to fight back so... its nothing to worry about. Bitcoin will survive Cheesy .
I think that in the last years nearly every government has made a statement on how they want to treat bitcoin.
I do not think that a software attack will make a change in the minds of governments.
Of course bitcoin, or other crypto currencies as well, they are perfect for using them as a way of ransom payment in such attacks.
On the other hand, many attacks are not based on ransom. Some are done because the programmer wants to show he can do it.
Others are led by governments. In these cases regulating/banning crypto currencies would bring nothing.

It's me!!!
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 11:35:06 AM

The recent ransomware attack was actually just a publication. Whats funmy is how you react to it, even that 15 year old kid from india were able to solve the equation and was able to brought it down.
drwtsn32

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 03:50:28 AM

That doesn't mean that ransomware is more popular than bitcoin nor they will ever be.
Bitcoin is so big that it doesn't care about this ransomsh*t.

What do these million of users are doing? We are here to show them that bitcoin is a good thing. It's just being taken advantage of.
I always tell my friends, co-workers and even my boss (I'm in the IT department) that bitcoin was not made for the sole purpose of ransomware or some sort.

As of today, some of my co-workers became my co-bitcoiners too.  Smiley
triasel

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 04:34:27 AM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act
there is a positive impact from RANSOMWARE like many more people not know bitcoin because ransomware who know bitcoin.. but negative impact is make the bitcoin user being restless
it is true that many people have known about bitcoin thanks to the ransomware. I do not thinkt that there is any negative impact here. Only positive impact such as the increasing of Bitcoin users in this month
Damn man. Do you really think that those who have infected by ransomware become bitcoin users after getting extorted? If you really think that way then I assume there's wrong with your brain

Honestly, I didn't think of that myself

But why not, after all? If people had been extorted some monies in US dollars, would they start feeling disgusted by the American dollar? I'm inclined to think that they won't. So why should Bitcoin be different? Well, in fact, I agree that they might feel like that, and some of them would certainly feel that way for some time, but when the dust settles and the sun shines bright again, they will certainly calm down and come to understand that Bitcoin as such is not involved, but they have already learned about it, and what's more they already know how to use it (at least, how to buy and send bitcoins). Wouldn't that be good and what is bad in that?
i do not know more impact of ransomware for bitcoin but after news spread about ransomware the bitcoin price increase . in my country indonesian bitcoin have been reach $3390 this is amazing  for me..
ekoawandi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 05:26:58 AM

The mainstream media has made a bit of Bitcoin's regret in reporting their ransomware attacks and it does not matter - only other crimes people can commit with Bitcoin if they want to.
The attack was in my opinion not the best path to bitcoin.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 02:37:53 PM

The mainstream media has made a bit of Bitcoin's regret in reporting their ransomware attacks and it does not matter - only other crimes people can commit with Bitcoin if they want to.
The attack was in my opinion not the best path to bitcoin.
Well i think it will have an impact on bitcoin in general, and when i say in general i mean what some people think about it. People that know what and how bitcoin work, they will have same thinking because they want to make money on bitcoin. But as i said it will have impact on those people who do not know what bitcoin is or heard about it for the first time.
Redones (OP)

Activity: 320
Merit: 261

Web developper

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 02:49:03 PM

After days passed from the attack till now I think it wasn't that big even the income that the hackers got from users that paid to recover their files wasn't really something big if we compare that with passed attacks, am I right ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: