Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RANSOMWARE impact  (Read 12276 times)
TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 03:15:17 PM

Sometimes negative publicity can increase sales when a product or company is relatively unknown simply because it stimulates product awareness. In my opinion bitcoin falls into this category of products, it has thrived on negative publicity, and since wannacry ransomeware the bitcoin price has skyrocketed. It will take something more than this to kill bitcoin, maybe if banks and governments try hardest to stop trading with it...that would definitely have an impact.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DOGE12321

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 12:08:25 AM

Bitcoin is barely mentioned by the media when news of ransomware comes up. It's just like how lots of illicit trades are done with cash. Does this really affect people's view regarding fiat? I don't think so.

Mainstream attention and popularity is the key for Bitcoins success. I think advertisements and social media can be used to reach to the outside world about Bitcoin.
Vixmore

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 02:50:03 AM

Bitcoin helps out a lot of hackers as they can be paid completely anonymously. However, there are many scams involving fiat as well. Also, ransomware hasn't really had any impact on Bitcoin.
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 02:59:14 AM

Bitcoin helps out a lot of hackers as they can be paid completely anonymously. However, there are many scams involving fiat as well. Also, ransomware hasn't really had any impact on Bitcoin.
This also might be the world's attention, bitcoin is felt is used for the crime. as happened in ransomware, so that today many people who think bad about bitcoin. They consider bitcoin a way to support illegal acts.
abel1337
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

FOCUS

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2017, 03:09:34 AM

I think RANSOMWARE has some impact into bitcoin , Actually one of my friend has been victimize by that and he approach me because he want to buy my bitcoins because he will pay the virus.
Now he is interested using bitcoin and I am teaching him right now. Im happy that my friend uses bitcoin . And I watch tv on the date that randsome ware is spreading , Randsomeware has been flash on the news and bitcoin was mention in it and I see that they are not telling bad information about bitcoin.
RudyCenJia

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:39:01 AM

I think bitcoin fall because Ransomware virus, so what is Ransomware?

Ransomware is a type of malicious software that blocks access to the victim's data or threatens to publish or delete it until a ransom is paid. While some simple ransomware may lock the system in a way which is not difficult for a knowledgeable person to reverse, more advanced malware uses a technique called cryptoviral extortion, in which it encrypts the victim's files, making them inaccessible, and demands a ransom payment to decrypt them.

In a properly implemented cryptoviral extortion attack, recovering the files without the decryption key is an intractable problem - and difficult to trace digital currencies such as Ukash and Bitcoin are used for the ransoms, making tracing and procescuting the perpetrators difficult.

Ransomware attacks are typically carried out using a Trojan that is disguised as a legitimate file that the user is tricked into downloading, or opening when it arrives as an email attachment. However, one high profile example, the "WannaCry worm", traveled automatically between computers without user interaction.
mudboy93

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 07:56:55 AM

Ransomware won't be a negative thing to bitcoin in long term, but it would at least make people and security websites more vigilant to the risk of ransomware generally, This isn't the fault of users or bitcoin in the end and even not the fault that got hacked, but the one distributing it.
Even with Mixer's, I think the FBI and other agencies will track the one who made it, seeing their determination in cases like these.
ornabldo

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:38:14 PM

the ransomware attack did bring bad publicity and most importantly, a very hostile base of those hacked and forced to pay BTC. that's something that can't be avoided, but I don't see it as the end of bitcoin as a currency. The police and agencies will target the hackers as well as the circulation of these coins.

jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 10:38:49 PM

+
Even Linux and macOS are target of hackers but the number of people that use linux are mostly those that know more about the technology and IT

Could we claim Android users as Linux users too?

If we consider Linux as Linux kernel (just because there is no canonical Linux operating system, Windows style), I think Android users could well count toward being Linux users too. But in no case can we think of them then as more literate technology wise since they are basically the same users who are using Windows on their personal computers and notebooks. I don't like Android much, but I have heard only about a couple of viruses there, and needless to say, they didn't raise as much noise as many Windows viruses customarily do. In fact, they didn't even manage to spread in any significant degree

Well I didn't mention android but I don't think that android users (mostly mobile and tables) should not be counted that are using Linux.

But in this case it means that they are target of hackers more than other platforms like ios and windows phone as it's easier to get infected even if the app is in the google play store.

But ransomware as far as I know infects only PCs and servers not the mobile phones and tablets.

I think that these kind of viruses affect the bitcoin only for a bit and then it's forgotten until the next attack.
SomethingMAD

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 11:11:30 PM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act
Should be grateful to who made this virus. With this virus people so know,
- what is bitcoi?
- How much Bitcoin Price
- Why does the Virus Maker ask for a ransom with BTC instead of dollars etc?
Please answer yourself. Modern society is more intelligent
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:10:45 AM

Bitcoin is barely mentioned by the media when news of ransonware comes up. I don't think it's a problem. It's just like how lots of illicit trades are done with cash. Does this really affect people's outlook on fiat? Not really.

Education and popularity is key for Bitcoins success.

What do you mean by Bitcoin being barely mentioned by the media? Bitcoin is usually tied to the Ransomware reports in their news clips because the people that don’t know anything about technology try to educate themselves by the media and are willing to receive the wrong information as long as it’s information.
It depends on the media that you follow, in my country the ransom ware was mentioned but bitcoin was not, but if on the media you follow bitcoin was mentioned profusely then that may give the impression that all the media does the same and that is not accurate.
kidmodo

Activity: 79

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:11:48 AM

The issue of ransomware does not have a significant impact on bitcoin prices, the use of bitcoin in ransomware cases will not make people do not believe in bitcoin, it's just a person. I think that makes the bitcoin price down is a very high bitcoin price and some people take advantage of the price, do not worry, we know that bitcoin prices will go back up, it will even be much higher
ornabldo

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 07:55:39 AM

The recent ransomware crisis won't impact bitcoin that much, the fact the hacker asked for bitcoins wouldn't, in my opinion, have any serious backlash on bitcoin itself, but the future of browser and security software will change completely IMO, even blocking suspicious files without asking the user would be a key step.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 09:02:24 AM

+
Even Linux and macOS are target of hackers but the number of people that use linux are mostly those that know more about the technology and IT

If we consider Linux as Linux kernel (just because there is no canonical Linux operating system, Windows style), I think Android users could well count toward being Linux users too. But in no case can we think of them then as more literate technology wise since they are basically the same users who are using Windows on their personal computers and notebooks. I don't like Android much, but I have heard only about a couple of viruses there, and needless to say, they didn't raise as much noise as many Windows viruses customarily do. In fact, they didn't even manage to spread in any significant degree

Well I didn't mention android but I don't think that android users (mostly mobile and tables) should not be counted that are using Linux.

But in this case it means that they are target of hackers more than other platforms like ios and windows phone as it's easier to get infected even if the app is in the google play store.

But ransomware as far as I know infects only PCs and servers not the mobile phones and tablets

You won't find a lot of ransomware on Linux desktops or servers

And I won't be surprised if you won't find any at all. But this is irrelevant since this is not what your point was about. Basically, you claimed that Linux is only (well, mostly) used by geeks (and that's why there is no ransomware for it) which is obviously not the case. It is used by essentially the same folks which use Windows (or MacOs, for the record). But somehow we still don't see packs of viruses for Android, even though the number of Android users by far exceeds the number of Windows users. How come?

oegarod

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 09:06:21 AM

The recent ransomware has made positive as well negative impacts over the entire world. In the form of positive outcome the bitcoin is known more and some has started to experiment it. In the other way people have fixed that bitcoin is the one that has got negative part higher than positive.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3509

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:56:38 PM

The recent ransomware has made positive as well negative impacts over the entire world. In the form of positive outcome the bitcoin is known more and some has started to experiment it. In the other way people have fixed that bitcoin is the one that has got negative part higher than positive.

the only positive from this is that more people are aware of how important updates and patches to your OS are. not to mention regular offline/offsite backups.

the fact that bitcoin was specified as payment was largely ignored, generally it was only mentioned in passing.
Zemangat

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 02:27:18 PM

Virus ransomeware that gives up the world, making countries in the world afraid of the threat, they attack government-owned computers and ask for bitcoin ransom, while bitcoin becomes popular because bitcoin as a means of payment to restore the virus. So the world starts to recognize bitcoin
AicecreaME

Activity: 2324
Merit: 454

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:40:36 PM

+

But ransomware as far as I know infects only PCs and servers not the mobile phones and tablets

You won't find a lot of ransomware on Linux desktops or servers

And I won't be surprised if you won't find any at all. But this is irrelevant since this is not what your point was about. Basically, you claimed that Linux is only (well, mostly) used by geeks (and that's why there is no ransomware for it) which is obviously not the case. It is used by essentially the same folks which use Windows (or MacOs, for the record). But somehow we still don't see packs of viruses for Android, even though the number of Android users by far exceeds the number of Windows users. How come?

Linux is a system where viruses doesn't exist or viruses can't easily get in because it was programmed to be invulnerable to viruses and other harmful stuffs in your computer. And this ransomware is out of the topic here since it can't penetrate the system, and what you have said is indeed true. Maybe he thought that the population of the android users is larger than the population of windows users.

k@suy

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:47:51 PM

Ransomware creates fear among windows user especially the Windows XP OS. Recently Microsoft release an update for windows to prevent this exploit from windows older version of OS. Also, IMHO it creates awareness of bitcoin also, since the Ransomware developer are collecting the payment in bitcoin.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 04:55:45 PM

People are always free to speculate but I can't say confidently that Bitcoin motivated the ransomware attacks because there are a lot of trillions of dollars and other fiat currencies in value hare world that could have motivated the attacks than a few billion market cap of Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: