Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:34:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RANSOMWARE impact  (Read 12281 times)
giveen

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 02:55:06 PM

No you caan say that as after thw ransomeware attack bitcoin gained a heck of popularity and because of this the price literally went to moon , but yeah the price came back to normall and has been falling from past 3 days. I'm totally fine this as now majority of the world isbaware of bitcoin and that's what matters the most.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Laska_Forum

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 02:55:32 PM

Maybe the ob good thing in this all bad ransomware situation is that the hackers haven't earned that much, people were not paying to them. At least not that much as they have expected tow get. And I hop at least some of the victims have learned their lesson about the importance of protection and having back up.
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:23:59 PM

After days passed from the attack till now I think it wasn't that big even the income that the hackers got from users that paid to recover their files wasn't really something big if we compare that with passed attacks, am I right ?

Right, the mainstream media is just making issues too big to get the attention of the people who actually thinks that this is right and would pass to other people again until yeah the news are getting crazy. I guess you arent affected as well am i right?
myelbow4

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:27:36 PM

Ransomwre makes everyone know bitcoin, then everyone see the price chart of bitcoin and now they are start investing at bitcoin Cheesy Good luck to everyone. Cheesy
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:28:56 PM

You wouldn't complain about the insecurity of cash if a bank was robbed, why blame a blatant cyber crime on bitcoin? Just because it may be easier, doesn't mean it is bad. You could make ransom in any currency, bitcoin is just the easiest for them.

Luckily, the media isn't saying 'Bitcoin is encrypting your computer!' in this round of attacks (WannaCry).
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:32:23 PM

After days passed from the attack till now I think it wasn't that big even the income that the hackers got from users that paid to recover their files wasn't really something big if we compare that with passed attacks, am I right ?

As far as I know from Wikipedia more than 230,000 computers in over 150 countries were infected and the hackers were paid around $126k. Since they were demanding $300-$600 it means that not more than 420 victims paid the ransom.
pitiflin

Activity: 980
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 05:00:32 PM

The recent Ransomware attack has caused a lot of problems and people not knowing about bitcoin are facing problems like how to buy bitcoin, what it is ,its worth etc.Since the ransomware attack has spread to more than 50 countries its causing the bitcoin's value rise. Eventually this  may lead to either fall of bitcoin or lead bitcoin as the future currency

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
  B

▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄▄████████████▄▄
   ▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄
  ████▀            ▀████
 ████                ████
▐███                  ███▌
███▌                  ▐███
▐███           ▄▄     ███▌
 ████         ▀███▄  ▐███
  ████▄         ▀███▄███
   ▀█████▄▄     ▄█████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀
T 
.Better. Quick..

.Transparent....

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
███████████████▀       ████
██████████████      ▄▄▄████
██████████████    ▐████████
██████████            ▐████
██████████            █████
▀█████████████    ▐███████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
dmamigo

Activity: 1232
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 06:18:08 PM

The recent Ransomware attack has caused a lot of problems and people not knowing about bitcoin are facing problems like how to buy bitcoin, what it is ,its worth etc.Since the ransomware attack has spread to more than 50 countries its causing the bitcoin's value rise. Eventually this  may lead to either fall of bitcoin or lead bitcoin as the future currency

Ransomware attack is not the accurate and single reason for the rise in value. And Ransomware has caused lots of issues recently to all kind of private and public organizations, but it also had let many people know about Bitcoins. Some are interested to know more about it, whereas some are thinking it as crime related, and not at all interested.
But, in my opinion, Bitcoin will not fall for this reason, for sure.
GXHPP

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 01:50:58 AM

I don't think so, there are other methods to get payment out too first, also this isn't the first even malware but just one that got higher attention.

I think this isn't something for us or the bitcoin world to worry about, the anti-virus/malware should do there jobs better.
alexis3

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 05:14:10 PM

Doubt it will bring an end to BTC or the like, the most important aspect will be security and antivirus companies improving their security and systems, and I don't think it's impossible to track down who did this, Law enforcement agencies in the US are quite competent.
taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:28:03 AM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act
The mainstream media has made a bit of Bitcoin's regret in reporting their ransomware attacks and it does not matter - only other crimes people can commit with Bitcoin if they want to.
The attack was in my opinion not the best path to bitcoin.

Unfortunately Rasomware used bitcoin to collect the illegal money which made many people to argue and think against the bitcoins. If they had seen with cool minds, they could have recognize that bitcoin has very little to be blame for Ransomware hack, but few are claiming as if bitcoin is the only responsible behind this attack. Angry. giving a wrong point of view that if there was no bitcoin, there can be no Ransomware possible.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 09:47:20 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2017, 10:00:53 AM by deisik

Doubt it will bring an end to BTC or the like, the most important aspect will be security and antivirus companies improving their security and systems, and I don't think it's impossible to track down who did this, Law enforcement agencies in the US are quite competent.
Nah, the impact of this ransomware toward bitcoin is not so big. The rate of bitcoin still increasing alongside with the trading volume of each day. The ransomware itself demanding a small amount of bitcoin and majority of those who get infected doesn't give a shit with this extortion and prefer to wait until some kind of method leaked to decrypt their file, and now, the method has been invented.
And I do agree, if what people say regarding this ransomware that it's basically NSA's tools leaked and used by some black hat they should've responsible for it and trying to find out who's the mastermind behind it. Hopefully, they'll figure it out, even if it takes much time

This point should be clarified

I simply can't fathom how the hackers cannot be held responsible or bear less responsibility if that is your point. If this piece of ransomware attacked some military facilities (NSA included) or Microsoft servers exclusively, that point might have made some sense (though this is debatable as well). But it attacked indiscriminately, and its victims are institutions which didn't do anything bad to these hackers. In fact, some of them might have been (or would be) receiving medical treatment in one of the hospitals that fell victim to this attack. In other words, it is like putting the blame on a gun manufacturer or even the inventor of powder for a crime committed with a gun. Indeed, in this case the NSA should bear the responsibility as well if they are directly or otherwise involved, most likely for negligence. Personally, I would be more interested in the investigation against Microsoft itself, i.e. whether they don't deliberately leave backdoors in their so-called software

virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1159

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 06:29:29 PM

Windows was the main target and Windows 10 simply resets and reinstalls too quickly too deal with paying these guys.  The amounts of ransom asked for are too high and the price of a new hard drive is too low.  The last set of ransomware that we saw here wanted more than $1000 in Bitcoin to unlock people’s computers.  For $50, you can get a Walmart 1 TB hard drive and have yourself back up in less than 1 hour.  Last time I looked $100 could get you somewhere in the 10 TB range, at least 5. 

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 09:40:07 PM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act

Well, so far your theory remains a far cry from reality

Bitcoin has been rising and it will likely continue to rise in the future. If anything, it proves its robustness as a decentralized (read free of government control) currency. Using it for extorting ransom is a sort of real life stress test, but that doesn't mean in and of itself that this is the only field of Bitcoin's application. I'm in no case justifying such acts (i.e. encrypting file systems and then demanding money to be paid to decrypt it), but, as to me, the effect of that would be positive on Bitcoin in the long run. In other words, don't shoot the messenger, he is doing his best!

as it look now it prove that investors don't care at all about any thing outside of their daily trading activity or they are not the same people, i mean it's not like the people affected by this malware are the same that are pumping now bitcoin...

They certainly do care

But this FarCry event is evidently not something which would attract their attention for longer than a few second timespan. If some exchange got hacked (say, Bitfinex again), that would certainly raise a stir in the Bitcoin investment establishment. If anything, 50 bitcoins is not a big deal really, so people affected by this ransomware cannot be pumping Bitcoin right now unless they buy up bitcoins in massive amounts for future payouts, of course (as the saying goes, if it rains it pours)

I think that if anything, that attack made a little scratch in bitcoins public reputation.
So in my opinion, the attack would have brought the bitcoin price even down, not up.
To my big surprise, most media did not even mention that the ransom should have been paid in bitcoin.
They were more focused on the attack itself, the reports about how bitcoin was involved in this were really small.
I think the reason not many people were concerned about bitcoin is simply because bitcoin is not the main story here, the story is this virus that has taken hostage the computers of many people and business, bitcoin was secondary to the story.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 09:15:43 AM

Windows was the main target and Windows 10 simply resets and reinstalls too quickly too deal with paying these guys.  The amounts of ransom asked for are too high and the price of a new hard drive is too low.  The last set of ransomware that we saw here wanted more than $1000 in Bitcoin to unlock people’s computers.  For $50, you can get a Walmart 1 TB hard drive and have yourself back up in less than 1 hour.  Last time I looked $100 could get you somewhere in the 10 TB range, at least 5

I don't think that such attacks would hurt Windows

Those who care had stopped using it long ago (at least, as their primary platform). Those who don't will continue to use this system until they literally lose thousands (if not millions) of dollars and petabytes of data. Apart from that, if you have a system image, it doesn't actually matter how fast the system can be installed since apart from the system itself you would have to install the environment, i.e. all the programs that you need for your daily work, while restoring a system (disk) image depends entirely on the speed of the hardware and typically takes half an hour (or even less)

Winner
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 10:07:25 AM

The Ransomware situation felt like it was just a begining to see the possibilities of promoting Bitcoin to the mainstream. Once the attack happened, the mainstream media was all over it trying to get a culprit and when they couldn't find anything that they could blame it on they went ahead and pretty much blamed Bitcoin for being the reason for the attack.

This attack happened back in 1989 without Bitcoin of course yet there is not many people talking about that.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
mrayazgul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:03:22 PM

The Ransomware situation felt like it was just a begining to see the possibilities of promoting Bitcoin to the mainstream. Once the attack happened, the mainstream media was all over it trying to get a culprit and when they couldn't find anything that they could blame it on they went ahead and pretty much blamed Bitcoin for being the reason for the attack.

This attack happened back in 1989 without Bitcoin of course yet there is not many people talking about that.

That was in 1989 when Internet was not so much popular as it is now. Also who knows this news was wide spread at that time, but now that we are in 2107, no one remember that old time.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:06:35 PM

Bitcoin will not fail because of ransomware. Though it gave bitcoin a bad name.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:09:40 PM

Bitcoin will not fail because of ransomware. Though it gave bitcoin a bad name.

Exactly, and bitcoin was used for such activities even before. The only difference now is that it got more publicity.
But people have to understand that bitcoin wasn't created for criminal activities it was missused like anything else, like any fiat currency and that it can be used for many good and positive things. And that is why we need more positive promotion.

malaj
jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 08:36:33 PM

Windows was the main target and Windows 10 simply resets and reinstalls too quickly too deal with paying these guys.  The amounts of ransom asked for are too high and the price of a new hard drive is too low.  The last set of ransomware that we saw here wanted more than $1000 in Bitcoin to unlock people’s computers.  For $50, you can get a Walmart 1 TB hard drive and have yourself back up in less than 1 hour.  Last time I looked $100 could get you somewhere in the 10 TB range, at least 5. 

It affected a lot but maybe for bad, The last biggest attack the target was windows and especially windows xp and other old windows version.

And this is the main reason why Microsoft released some updates/patches for windows xp and others even though they have stopped supporting these versions of windows.

The backup that you mentioned isn't much secured if you have attached the external drive at the moment when the windows get's infected because it encrypts the external drive too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: