Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:10:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt: how to check my passphrase without transferring money  (Read 5646 times)
begining_summer (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:14:37 PM

Hi!

I have several wallets. I encrypted my wallets.

I would like to check my paraphrases sometimes to ensure that I do not forget it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:18:29 PM

You can use pywallet (https://github.com/joric/pywallet), but it sure is not the more practical way to do that
Maybe an rpc command?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 12:18:47 PM

If you are not worried that someone might *observe* your password if it appears on the screen then you could use Help->Debug then go to the Console and issue the RPC command: walletpassphrase <your passphrase here> 1

If you don't want it to be visible then perhaps try by sending funds to yourself?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
begining_summer (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:49:13 PM

Thanks!

debug window is good for me.
nevafuse

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:44:53 PM

Also the "change passphrase" option can be used to check your passphrase which is a menu option in bitcoin-qt.

The only reason to limit the block size is to subsidize non-Bitcoin currencies
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 01:59:06 PM

Also the "change passphrase" option can be used to check your passphrase which is a menu option in bitcoin-qt.

Good one (don't know how I missed that).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

begining_summer (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:58:00 PM

It's not so convenient because I would not prefer to change current passphase.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 01:47:01 AM

It's not so convenient because I would not prefer to change current passphase.

You can't change it to what it currently is?

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:39:42 AM

You can't change it to what it currently is?
It is not the same as leaving it unchanged. The key streetching parameter is recomputed afresh with each passphrase change, and this may be undesirable.

I simply tried to send more coins that the wallet contains in total: I would safely get an error message stating the above after the successfull decryption.

I haven't tried the most recent code, I'm still running the older versions, the code may have changed.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:21:06 AM

when using "sign message" you are prompted for the password. also if you create a new address.

if you just want to check if you still know it these options are most simple.
flemal123

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 01:28:18 PM

I have the same question as the OP.  I just fired up bitcoin-qt and encrypted my wallet.  I am pretty sure the action succeeded, I see the lock on the lower right hand corner of the dialog. Now without sending any money I would like to trigger bitcoin-qt to prompt me for my passphrase, just as a sanity check.

when using "sign message" you are prompted for the password. also if you create a new address.

I have also read elsewhere that bitcoin-qt prompts you for your passphrase when you create a new address, but that is not what I observe.  bitcoin-qt lets me create a new address and it does not ask me for my passphrase.  So is it true or not that bitcoin-qt prompts you for your passphrase when you create a new address?

Also,
- I told bitcoin-qt to use a different data directory, and now when it starts up it automatically loads from the new directory.  Where does it remember that path?
- How can I prevent bitcoin-qt from downloading the blockchain at startup?  In the help I see various startup options for the network, so I assume I could just pass in an invalid value to one of those parameters, in order to break bitcoin-qt's network connection, is that the best way?
- If I want to wipe the slate clean and start again, should I delete just the wallet file, or the entire data directory?  After the blockchain is downloaded, where does that get stored, in wallet.dat?

Many Thanks.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 01:42:08 PM

I have also read elsewhere that bitcoin-qt prompts you for your passphrase when you create a new address, but that is not what I observe.  bitcoin-qt lets me create a new address and it does not ask me for my passphrase.  So is it true or not that bitcoin-qt prompts you for your passphrase when you create a new address?

Older versions used to.

The most recent version does not.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 01:45:59 PM

Can't you just "unlock the wallet" to test?

(only just started playing around with raw txs again today so haven't done this stuff for a while)

BTW - For anyone that has downloaded the CIYAM Safe I have updated it today due to a JSON issue that was in the "signtx" script (never received a bug report so am guessing no-one else has come across the issue yet).

flemal123

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2014, 04:04:58 PM by flemal123

Older versions used to.

The most recent version does not.
Ah, cool, many thanks for that confirmation.

Can't you just "unlock the wallet" to test?
Well, let's see.  In your copy of bitcoin-qt, do you see an item "unlock the wallet" in the menu?  I don't see that in mine.

That is what is so disconcerting, there is not much indication that the wallet is locked at all.  After encrypting the wallet, I expected that at the very latest on restarting bitcoin-qt I would be prompted for my passphrase.  I was not, which means that someone else could steal my wallet.dat and without even decrypting it load it into bitcoin-qt.

I suppose that the info that bitcoin-qt displays on the wallet without the passphrase is the same info that is publicly available about that wallet.  And I suppose that bitcoin-qt prompts for the passphrase only when absolutely necessary in order to avoid unnecessary exposure to keyboard logging attacks.

Also,
- I told bitcoin-qt to use a different data directory, and now when it starts up it automatically loads from the new directory.  Where does it remember that path?
- How can I prevent bitcoin-qt from downloading the blockchain at startup?  In the help I see various startup options for the network, so I assume I could just pass in an invalid value to one of those parameters, in order to break bitcoin-qt's network connection, is that the best way?
- If I want to wipe the slate clean and start again, should I delete just the wallet file, or the entire data directory?  After the blockchain is downloaded, where does that get stored, in wallet.dat?
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 04:38:19 PM

That is what is so disconcerting, there is not much indication that the wallet is locked at all.  

Do you see the lock symbol in the lower right corner?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
flemal123

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:34:55 PM

That is what is so disconcerting, there is not much indication that the wallet is locked at all. 

I have the same question as the OP.  I just fired up bitcoin-qt and encrypted my wallet.  I am pretty sure the action succeeded, I see the lock on the lower right hand corner of the dialog. Now without sending any money I would like to trigger bitcoin-qt to prompt me for my passphrase, just as a sanity check.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:56:33 PM

And that's not indication enough?

Regardless every time you try to send it will ask for your passphrase. If your wallet was not encrypted it wouldn't ask. You can then cancel at that point. Or sign a message to test the process completely, as was mentioned.

You are correct that anyone could load that wallet.dat and see the same info about the balance and transactions etc.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: