Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:57:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barry Silbert segwit2x agreement with >80% miner support.  (Read 119972 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2017, 01:58:15 PM

If anyone were to buy Bitcoin because they needed it, they would become the 1st person to ever do so.  Roll Eyes
One word: drugs  Cheesy Cheesy
I'm not sure that illegal activity constitutes a need.  Undecided

Need can be interpreted in many ways. I'm sure if you ask them they'd say it's a "need"  Wink. But I can also think of people seeking to avoid capital flow controls, people looking to make large or expensive purchases without leaving a trace in the fiat money space, people who need to make quick and timely international payment, etc. There is still a trace in the fiat money system for most of these use case scenarios though Undecided  But you are absolutely right, btc has been used as an investment vehicle/store of value for the most part. Once bitcoin has a stable circular economy than that will be the time where someone may absolutely need to buy btc to obtain a particular product or service which they cannot obtain through the fiat economy.

lol funny enough one case where one may absolutely need bitcoin is when bitmain sells miners strictly in btc (ie they do not accept wire payments as well).

JessicaG

Activity: 343
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:45:23 PM

If anyone were to buy Bitcoin because they needed it, they would become the 1st person to ever do so.  Roll Eyes

Need can be interpreted in many ways. I'm sure if you ask them they'd say it's a "need"  Wink. But I can also think of people seeking to avoid capital flow controls, people looking to make large or expensive purchases without leaving a trace in the fiat money space, people who need to make quick and timely international payment, etc. There is still a trace in the fiat money system for most of these use case scenarios though Undecided  But you are absolutely right, btc has been used as an investment vehicle/store of value for the most part. Once bitcoin has a stable circular economy than that will be the time where someone may absolutely need to buy btc to obtain a particular product or service which they cannot obtain through the fiat economy.

lol funny enough one case where one may absolutely need bitcoin is when bitmain sells miners strictly in btc (ie they do not accept wire payments as well).

Duh. And there are also a bunch of gambling sites whom only accepted Bitcoin. So sometimes, yeah, I guess there is need for Bitcoins.

Can we go back on-topic again please? I really need that...  Smiley

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
ComputerGenie

Activity: 1092
Merit: 552

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 06:19:50 PM

...Can we go back on-topic again please? I really need that...  Smiley
If your needs revolve around the opinions and conversations of less than a dozen random people, you have issues, not needs.  Tongue

If you have to ask "why?", you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Always be on the look out, because you never know when you'll be stalked by hit-men that eat nothing but cream cheese....
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2017, 10:23:43 PM

No amount of on-topic chatter by us will solve this problem, so just relax, grab a drink and enjoy the madness!

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10436

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 10:40:39 PM

...I would really like to avoid an ETH - ETC scenario...
The entire fundamental logic structure is different here. This is about choosing the "best" path forward, that was about changing the entire premise of immutability (due to a non-protocol related incident).  Undecided

This is exactly true.

We definitely have to consider any possible forking in a context, and what is the level of disagreement and what is the subject matter of the disagreement.

No matter what, some folks are going to be motivated to take sides on one side or another concerning what they believe a fork on one side or another might represent - however, when there is actual economic value that is running through the nodes, that can cause a different actual action compared with words that are used (I am going to do this, versus what you actually end up doing when push comes to shove and your economic motivations are part of the material outcome).

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 11:30:29 PM

Duh. And there are also a bunch of gambling sites whom only accepted Bitcoin. So sometimes, yeah, I guess there is need for Bitcoins.

These are great mentionings (above)_ of various bitcoin needs that are legal in some jurisdictions and illegal in other jurisdictions, and also developing... so yeah, we may not had any needs to illegally gamble or illegally take drugs or illegaly traffic our money across random geographical or political borders - but these "needs" evolve - and cause bitcoin to be more important and more valuable - whether it forks or not and whether it holds value in the short term or not.

Strictly reading, are we on topic?  maybe not - but there can be a lot of usefulness to meander into these quasi-relevant considerations to speculate the extent to which gamesmanship and propaganda might interfere with present or future value and whether our speculation about use cases are going to be interfered with by the seemingly disingenuous gamesmanship of the forking threateners.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 08:08:55 AM

Well indeed it seems some of you have snapped up cheap coins cause price recovered a bit. If it stays above 2K for a while I'd be happy with that Smiley

classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 09:23:01 AM

Well indeed it seems some of you have snapped up cheap coins cause price recovered a bit. If it stays above 2K for a while I'd be happy with that Smiley

It's a classic bull trap, there's plenty of room for more downside...

Just wait til 20% of miner hashpower pulls out of Segwit2x...
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 09:33:45 AM

And the 80 %  dedicate some hashpower to attack the minority chain ... is the difficulty adjusted quicker for the UASF berserkers? Or do they finally accept the SW in the SW2x ? (Shit the 20% could be the SW refusers ?)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg20185001#msg20185001

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 09:42:04 AM

And the 80 %  dedicate some hashpower to attack the minority chain ... is the difficulty adjusted quicker for the UASF berserkers? Or do they finally accept the SW in the SW2x ? (Shit the 20% could be the SW refusers ?)

I kind of doubt that we are going to get such a nice and clean resolution.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jihan and his follower, Roger Ver and his followers and Craig Wright and his followers all forked off?  How much mining power and economic nodes would they take with them?  Maybe coinbase?  I don't think coinbase is that dumb, but who knows?

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 09:48:06 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if Jihan and his follower, Roger Ver and his followers and Craig Wright and his followers all forked off?  How much mining power and economic nodes would they take with them?  Maybe coinbase?  I don't think coinbase is that dumb, but who knows?

Bitcoin is based on PoW ?

What do you think is easier:  

Tell few people to just fork off

or

Get them all to consensus?

What side are you on ?

Proof

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 10:25:34 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if Jihan and his follower, Roger Ver and his followers and Craig Wright and his followers all forked off?  How much mining power and economic nodes would they take with them?  Maybe coinbase?  I don't think coinbase is that dumb, but who knows?

They would take a lot of mining power with them, but not so sure about economic nodes. No way that Coinbase would go with the least used blockchain - their entire business model is based on trading volume. Roger Ver on the other hand would just take a boat load of bitcoins with him (technically he would still have the same on both chains) and may potentially dump them on one chain to crash the price? (would be a big gamble and stupid move but hey he could theoretically do it if he wanted to be spiteful). I'd be interested to see in which direction some of the other Chinese mining pools not associated with Bitmain would go. Or are they all controlled by Bitmain? Where is that tin foil hat? Have I misplaced it lool  Cheesy

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 10:31:42 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if Jihan and his follower, Roger Ver and his followers and Craig Wright and his followers all forked off?  How much mining power and economic nodes would they take with them?  Maybe coinbase?  I don't think coinbase is that dumb, but who knows?

or

What side are you on ?

Proof

There are various ones who have been threatening to fork bitcoin for nearly two years, so I don't know about sides, but it seems to be kind of problematic.

Of course, if they fork, then they prefer that the majority of economic nodes and users will follow them.

This is not about me.  I am just making a statement that maybe it could be better if they fork, because they do not want to even attempt to work within existing systems and constantly engaged in threats and gamesmanship that attempt to exploit ways to scare people into their view of an easier and moldable bitcoin that attempts to compete with credit cards and other payment systems.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 10:46:21 AM

Roger Ver on the other hand would just take a boat load of bitcoins with him (technically he would still have the same on both chains) and may potentially dump them on one chain to crash the price? (would be a big gamble and stupid move but hey he could theoretically do it if he wanted to be spiteful).
In many ways this would be the opposite of spite... it would remove him from the picture, which would be an ongoing benefit because he sure seems to hate the system as it is now, and would put less expensive coins in the hands of more people that believe in it.  I think that would be a pretty good return for a brief period of market volatility.
ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 10:58:27 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2017, 11:09:15 AM by ComputerGenie

...because they do not want to even attempt to work within existing systems and constantly engaged in threats and gamesmanship that attempt to exploit ways to scare people into their view....
That comes from all sides (even the pro-Core).
Do you* think it's a coincidence that the whole "Antbleed" thing (which no one thought was a thing when it was in the bajillion running S7s) became a thing in April (when all of this started "heating up")?
Do you think it's a coincidence that the whole "covert ASICBoost" thing became a thing around the same time (when all of this started "heating up")?
Do you think it's a coincidence that no one worried about the whole "covert ASICBoost" thing when Bitmain introduced the S9 and, literally, advertised that S9s were "ASICBoost ready"?
Do you think it's a coincidence that now that certain parties need to make Bitmain out to be the "bad guy", you can't read a thread without seeing "Bitmain ....covert ASICBoost"?
Do you think it's a coincidence that not one pool, other than Bitmain, has been accused of "covert ASICBoost" (even though Bitmain's patent covers production and anyone can purchase pool-side usage rights and perform "covert ASICBoost")?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-Bitmain; however, I am pro-honesty and it's honestly disingenuous to ignore the fact that Bitmain has been the target of well timed, well planned "gamesmanship" attacks from the Core/pro-Core end of the spectrum.

*you in the generic sense - meaning any reader

Always be on the look out, because you never know when you'll be stalked by hit-men that eat nothing but cream cheese....
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 11:17:06 AM

or

What side are you on ?

Proof

There are various ones who have been threatening to fork bitcoin for nearly two years, so I don't know about sides, but it seems to be kind of problematic.

Of course, if they fork, then they prefer that the majority of economic nodes and users will follow them.

This is not about me.  I am just making a statement that maybe it could be better if they fork, because they do not want to even attempt to work within existing systems and constantly engaged in threats and gamesmanship that attempt to exploit ways to scare people into their view of an easier and moldable bitcoin that attempts to compete with credit cards and other payment systems.

Not so sure.  These guys you named they try hard to stay on Satoshi's bitcoin. Or do you speak of buddies building alts, ICOs or side-chains ?

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 11:46:59 AM

In many ways this would be the opposite of spite... it would remove him from the picture, which would be an ongoing benefit because he sure seems to hate the system as it is now, and would put less expensive coins in the hands of more people that believe in it.  I think that would be a pretty good return for a brief period of market volatility.

Hmm, yeah you may be right, it could be a blessing if he showed himself the door. I watched an interview with him on YouTube and his entire reason for being willing to risk a split is that the current blocks are full (we all know now that this is no longer the case) and because of that future growth in value and adoption is stifled. He wants bitcoin to gain an even wider userbase _at all costs_. He strikes me as the kind of guy that would play brinkmanship with bitcoin just to get his way. But he thinks the only path forward is an increase in block size and that's all that is necessary.

Doesn't this guy have like hundreds of thousands of BTC? If he dumped he would cause a volatility tsunami! But as you said it would be raining cheap coins on buyers!

@ComputerGenie

Hey you think that maybe (and this is wild speculation here) Bitmain has been infiltrated by the CCP and they've been told to do what they can to bring bitcoin under the control of the party. The West on the other hand could be pressuring the core devs to do what they can to push out the Chinese influence on the network. There would be hidden undercurrents in this whole tug of war game in the scaling debate. Or maybe I should stop reading Zero Hedge  Cheesy Cheesy

ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:53:21 AM

...@ComputerGenie

Hey you think that maybe (and this is wild speculation here) Bitmain has been infiltrated by the CCP and they've been told to do what they can to bring bitcoin under the control of the party. The West on the other hand could be pressuring the core devs to do what they can to push out the Chinese influence on the network. There would be hidden undercurrents in this whole tug of war game in the scaling debate. Or maybe I should stop reading Zero Hedge  Cheesy Cheesy
I think that you could be right about the last sentence; however, everything we hear about "Chinese this" and "Chinese that" is at best speculation and at worst more gamesmanship to push agendas (most likely the latter). :/

It all reminds me of:
https://youtu.be/maLIXQLxvvA

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 12:08:00 PM

Stolen work:

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 12:32:47 PM

Bitmain tweeted that all their mining pools will switch over to btc1 today. You can follow progress at bitnodes for Satoshi:1.14.3 (beta) or Satoshi:1.14.4 production build.

Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: