Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:51:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs just sent me an update e-mail!  (Read 9544 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:22:10 PM

What a damn circus act this is! I first had to reset my password. Finally got that to go through, then log in to the site. First time in, no pop-up to accept. I log in again and it finally appears. I click "Accept" and then get another pop-up that says "some text here" [OK]

WTF?!

I click the "OK" and it just shows me the Accept pop up again. I click accept, and the cycle repeats.

EDIT: I hope the hardware underwent more testing than the website. If not, we're all in trouble.

I LOLed here.

They didnt even test their shit before releasing the "confirm process"?

hahaha

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:22:34 PM

Final confirmation is required

Please be advised that due to the adjustments described above, we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.  It may also be a good time to review your purchase altogether relative to the bitcoin market as this is the last opportunity to do so.  If your order is not confirmed, it will be canceled and your money will be refunded.

Thank you for your support and we wish you great satisfaction with your product!

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

This is part of the legal process of shipping something that is not perfectly conforming to what you originally purchased.

The above is asking you NOT IF you want to confirm your order....BUT IF you want your order as it has been "redesigned". If you say no, you don't get your order but a refund instead. If you say yes, then you get whatever they have redesigned. So the first logical step is to ask what the changes will be!

The other part of what this email is trying to obscure is the fact that if you AGREE, you lose your ability to refund. You the customer have been queried if you accept the changes, and as such, you lose your refund ability due to changes or any conformance differences.

So think before you tap "OK". Ask questions now! Then click.

--------------------

Very slick BFL. Very Slick.

Eh ... I might be new to BTC, but AFAIK the preorders were also not subject to refunds, still they have done refunds. That you don't have explicit rights for refunds does not mean that it cannot happen.

My guess is that this is about the power usage and casing that is different than announced when they launched the preorders.

Offc you don't have to think about this as you never ordered or have cancelled your order long ago.
Assume absolutely nothing.

You assumptions are not enforceable and they may not be realized by BFL.

GET IT IN WRITING. DO NOT ASSUME what you don't know with absolute certainty.
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:23:47 PM

GET IT IN WRITING. DO NOT ASSUME what you don't know with absolute certainty.

You did not work for the x-files, don't you ?

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:26:34 PM

I will say  - I wish that the Butterflylabs.com homepage had a more robust hosting platform and service provider. It gives me the mini willies to hear the word confirmation and cancel in the same sentence and then not be able to get to their site.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:27:30 PM

This is fairly straightforward. They promised

but they are delivering

So they need permission to do the switch. If they actually deliver the hash power, I don't think anyone will care the form factor changed. Power consumption is disappointing, but at the current exchange rate and network hash power it is a non-issue. This is actually a sign from BFL that they are acting in a professional fashion to inform their user base.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:34:07 PM

This is fairly straightforward. They promised

but they are delivering

So they need permission to do the switch. If they actually deliver the hash power, I don't think anyone will care the form factor changed. Power consumption is disappointing, but at the current exchange rate and network hash power it is a non-issue. This is actually a sign from BFL that they are acting in a professional fashion to inform their user base.
People are ready to assume that if they do accept, they will still have the option to refund.

As a sensible customer, they need to realize that once they accept a change of hardware, they also give consent.

If people are relying on the refund window still being there without asking BFL:

"Hey, if I tap confirm, can I still refund at any time?"

Then they are asking for it to blow up in their face. BFL had little leeway in not giving customers their refund. They are obligated to do so as they have failed to deliver. Now that customers are being queried if they accept the changes, and indicate they still want their order...they are giving consent. Thereby reducing their position in asking for a refund.

People need to wise up and ask BFL (in writing through official statement and official channels) if they will still honor refunds requests after tapping "Confirm Order".

If you don't then, don't be at all surprised if BFL throws back at you the fact that you confirmed your order as a reason to deny any future refunds. You gave consent as of....May 1st 2013 to "changes" and the "status of an order". They also shipped, which means they don't have to offer you a refund anymore.

This is called Disarming the Merchant [from future excuses] and making sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

ASK questions, that is all I am telling BFL customers to do. Then, tap Confirm. Don't tap confirm like idiots on a whim or an impulse.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:38:15 PM

For me, as an european, its really funny to see that so many americans punch on an american company, preffering an asian company over it..

I'd expect you guys to NOT buy from asia and stand tall with your company.. at least that is what I'm doing..

Here a shot of the popup, which has absolutely nothing to do with your conspiracy theories.. They just make clear what was obvious a few days ago, design has changed, power is over spec.. Nothing special..

Guys.. Calm down.. BFL will ship sooner or later.. Its your choice if you go with the americans or the chinese people.. If you hate one, print yourself a t-shirt with the logo of the other company, wear it and enjoy but stop these nonsense-post like "warning, bfl is the devil and sells your mind to aliens.. dont click "ok", you'll give them your ok to rape your a** at any time they want.. " stop it.. please.. stop it...

Oh you mean like how PirateAt40 is still going to pay everyone their compounding 7% weekly interest payments?

He must be up to 70,000,000 Bitcoins he owes his investors.

Tongue

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

magixx

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:40:36 PM

How professional:

1N8sHKb7RAdzJwLtDw1yrtc1ip1oiVFWBt
elg

Activity: 151
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:42:37 PM

We also wanted to clarify that if you ordered in April after the specs were changed then you will not receive a message to confirm upon logging in. Thank you.

ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:42:47 PM

For me, as an european, its really funny to see that so many americans punch on an american company, preffering an asian company over it..

I'd expect you guys to NOT buy from asia and stand tall with your company.. at least that is what I'm doing..

Here a shot of the popup, which has absolutely nothing to do with your conspiracy theories.. They just make clear what was obvious a few days ago, design has changed, power is over spec.. Nothing special..

Guys.. Calm down.. BFL will ship sooner or later.. Its your choice if you go with the americans or the chinese people.. If you hate one, print yourself a t-shirt with the logo of the other company, wear it and enjoy but stop these nonsense-post like "warning, bfl is the devil and sells your mind to aliens.. dont click "ok", you'll give them your ok to rape your a** at any time they want.. " stop it.. please.. stop it...

Oh you mean like how PirateAt40 is still going to pay everyone their compounding 7% weekly interest payments?

Tongue

They're already delivering..

Post something about avalon's 2nd batch "delay" :-P

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:45:40 PM

Tongue

They're already delivering..

Post something about avalon's 2nd batch "delay" :-P

Oh you mean the PR units? How many of them were there again? 10? 20?

Oh right and remind me how many outstanding orders BFL has in the queue? 60,000+?

Oh right lol

They called "shipping" as giving a unit to someone at their facility and then leaving the unit at the BFL office.

Dont make me laugh lol

EDIT: Why are we bringing avalon into this discussion? Oh right you expect me to troll them just as much right? No it doesn't work that way. See Avalon has actually DELIVERED a working product to its CUSTOMERS unlike BFL has.

Oh and PR units on the order of 10 or 20 isn't what I would call "fulfilling their obligations to their customers".

ROFL! Fail more please.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:46:13 PM

Peurto --

Your assertion seemed to be that they are dependent on new orders for continuing operation.  I seem to recall you mentioning it was the return of funds that was giving the illusion of strength.  If they stopped honoring refunds, this illusion would be broken, and the pre-order stream would dry up.  I don't see how they are able to stop refunds (no matter how much they state, "all sales are final").

I got my refund a month or so ago, as it was clear they are going to be shipping into the difficulty high tide generated from Avalon and AsicMiner.  But had I been a believer, I don't think I would have any issues with confirming my order at this point.  If they stopped honoring refunds now, it would be give a very strong signal that they are not capable of delivering (something they are obviously trying to avoid).

I do find the timing of this campaign odd given that they just had the bad news about the unusable chip wafer.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:46:43 PM

Well folks, you have a choice.

Don't sweat it and do as ocminer says...don't ask questions, just tap that button like a numbskull.

Or do it like I have told you. Make sure they will still honor the refunds in an official statement without restrictions. Then feel free to tap the confirm button.

It's not like I am asking people to do anything super prudent....
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:47:03 PM

How professional:

I am in the same loop now. Finally it does not confirm anything.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:51:59 PM

1. Josh trolling forums and can't directly answer any important questions.

2. News comes out from Josh that their wafer of chips went bad and they need to reorder and are somewhat delayed in getting things organized to start shipping.

3. Mass EMAIL sent out to all preorder customers asking them to CONFIRM their orders and not mention anything about refunds at all.

...I smell panic on BFL's part.

The precedent has been set. If they operated as a ponzi likely they will implode very soon if people decide they are fed up with all the bullshit delays from BFL.

Time is a ticking...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:54:53 PM

Peurto --

Your assertion seemed to be that they are dependent on new orders for continuing operation.  I seem to recall you mentioning it was the return of funds that was giving the illusion of strength.  If they stopped honoring refunds, this illusion would be broken, and the pre-order stream would dry up.  I don't see how they are able to stop refunds (no matter how much they state, "all sales are final").
I can't make any assumptions on this, my friend.

Keep this in mind: Does your (or anyones) assumption about what is "the right thing to do" have any bearing on what BFL will "actually" do? No? Then...?

What happens in a customers head is totally independent of what happens at BFL.

Customers always complain because they assume things that aren't actual. When a companies actual policy (or change in policy) contradicts what they thought should happen, they get very upset. They always lose. So I am warning people to do their checks so they don't have to feel that way. Nothing more. Better safe and informed than "sorry".

I got my refund a month or so ago, as it was clear they are going to be shipping into the difficulty high tide generated from Avalon and AsicMiner.  But had I been a believer, I don't think I would have any issues with confirming my order at this point.  If they stopped honoring refunds now, it would be give a very strong signal that they are not capable of delivering (something they are obviously trying to avoid).

I do find the timing of this campaign odd given that they just had the bad news about the unusable chip wafer.
I unfortunately assume the worst when it comes to BFL.

I did my part in warning people just in case the worst is about to spring up on them. I can sleep pretty well tonight about that little bit.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:55:06 PM

1. Josh trolling forums and can't directly answer any important questions.

2. News comes out from Josh that their wafer of chips went bad and they need to reorder and are somewhat delayed in getting things organized to start shipping.

3. Mass EMAIL sent out to all preorder customers asking them to CONFIRM their orders and not mention anything about refunds at all.

...I smell panic on BFL's part.

The precedent has been set. If they operated as a ponzi likely they will implode very soon if people decide they are fed up with all the bullshit delays from BFL.

Time is a ticking...

The e-mail explicitly stated that if confirmation of changes was not accepted then you would get a refund:

Please be advised that due to the adjustments described above, we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.  It may also be a good time to review your purchase altogether relative to the bitcoin market as this is the last opportunity to do so.  If your order is not confirmed, it will be canceled and your money will be refunded.
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:57:43 PM

PuertoLibre - I have an important question for you:

Do you have the red font, green font, large text, bold and underline buttons hotkeyed, if so - how do you do this because I feel like a bitcointalk amateur without this rapid ability when I post.

Will

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:59:04 PM

I have been able to confirm finally.
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:01:06 PM

I did my part in warning people just in case the worst is about to spring up on them. I can sleep pretty well tonight about that little bit.

You are my hero. So noble and stuff. When are you going outside with a cardboard box asking people to buckle up?

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: