Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:43:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin PayPal Scammer on this forum  (Read 1836 times)
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:44:04 AM

"We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly."

This is the message I received when trying to file a PayPal claim. Shit.

For gift, you cannot do it online. Call them and explain you have been scammed.
rtw

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:50:48 AM

that sucks. btc scams are going to be commonplace for a long time to come.
RonSwanson (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:15:35 AM

I gave them a call, and nothing could be done even though I said how clicking gift was accidental. Absolutely fucking pissed. The worst part is, they didn't have any way of me contacting them, providing evidence of the bullshit through the messages. It's like: "yeah we'll look at the account", but NOTHING beyond that. And what's worse is how he will CONTINUE to get away with this shit as long as he's up. PayPal just sees money and their fee, and lets the criminal walk. Disgraceful. And even worse, he's practically admitted the scam. Here's a recent chat log:

https://i.imgur.com/NTmf15S.png

I'm just sickened by people sometimes. I guess we all have to learn lessons the hard way, like the Bluth kids.
shibaji

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:25:18 AM

I gave them a call, and nothing could be done even though I said how clicking gift was accidental. Absolutely fucking pissed. The worst part is, they didn't have any way of me contacting them, providing evidence of the bullshit through the messages. It's like: "yeah we'll look at the account", but NOTHING beyond that. And what's worse is how he will CONTINUE to get away with this shit as long as he's up. PayPal just sees money and their fee, and lets the criminal walk. Disgraceful. And even worse, he's practically admitted the scam. Here's a recent chat log:

I'm just sickened by people sometimes. I guess we all have to learn lessons the hard way, like the Bluth kids.

You made a mistake by saying it is accidental to choose gift. Should have said the truth - that seller asked you to, as he had problems accepting purchase payment. I have been scammed before by similar technique, and I have been honest throughout, and got my full payment back (lookup dayasinfo in the forum and my thread about that scammer).

Social engineering is at large in this forum. Be careful, and do not trust anyone other that the ones you trust  Smiley

Hope you have become 100X wiser with this incident - it certainly was a revealing moment for me. However, your next steps:

1. Keep all records of conversation with scammer
2. If you used credit card, chargeback, or if you used bank transfer, reverse it

You will win this, as the scammer will have nothing to deliver you - at this point, you will probably have to mention your bitcoins were casascius, and thus tangible (if you have already mentioned bitcoin), otherwise just say you were expecting something tangible - like gold.
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:38:50 AM

You made a mistake by saying it is accidental to choose gift. Should have said the truth - that seller asked you to, as he had problems accepting purchase payment. I have been scammed before by similar technique, and I have been honest throughout, and got my full payment back (lookup dayasinfo in the forum and my thread about that scammer).

Social engineering is at large in this forum. Be careful, and do not trust anyone other that the ones you trust  Smiley

Hope you have become 100X wiser with this incident - it certainly was a revealing moment for me. However, your next steps:

2. If you used credit card, chargeback, or if you used bank transfer, reverse it

You will win this, as the scammer will have nothing to deliver you - at this point, you will probably have to mention your bitcoins were casascius, and thus tangible (if you have already mentioned bitcoin), otherwise just say you were expecting something tangible - like gold.

The problem is, I doubt it would've changed much. I did mention how it was a scam and I realised the whole "gift" thing after I'd done it (which was true, and I also paid the $2 fee).
As well as that, I told them how he'd done it before and they didn't even care at all. Like, if I'm telling the truth about it all, why would they continue to let the account stand and then do other crap to people's accounts for much less "offenses"? It just seems so hit and miss with this.

Is there ANYTHING I can do now? Maybe more people can go to Bitcoinary and message him asking for coins and seeing what he says. I have three separate accounts that I've messaged him with and the second and third time it's made clear that he's not going to conduct his business where YOU are actually secured like with Escrow or whatever. People like this, I mean seriously.. Terrible.

I shall find the "dayasinfo" thread. I didn't specifically say Bitcoins, but "online item". Thanks for the help so far. Seems like a pretty cool community here, I'll stick around Smiley
shibaji

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:41:06 AM

Is there ANYTHING I can do now?

Yes:
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:46:35 AM

Unfortunately I did not use a credit card, but the PayPal credit. Another stupid mistake. Read your thread, glad you got your money back. $2000! That's unbelievable. Makes $234 look like much less, but that's still a significant amount for me. Hopefully he's either caught or comes around, but judging by his "lulz" comment at the end of the recent one, seems like he's just being a scammer, with no chance of redemption. Ugh.
shibaji

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:50:02 AM

Unfortunately I did not use a credit card, but the PayPal credit. Another stupid mistake. Read your thread, glad you got your money back. $2000! That's unbelievable. Makes $234 look like much less, but that's still a significant amount for me. Hopefully he's either caught or comes around, but judging by his "lulz" comment at the end of the recent one, seems like he's just being a scammer, with no chance of redemption. Ugh.

Ahhh ... paypal cash - that's very unfortunate, as this is completely in paypal's hand. In future please keep at least one more option open. However, if you had paypal cash, then you should not have paid a fee to gift - that does no add up.
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:24:51 AM

Yeah, that's actually interesting. I thought a gift was meant to be a, well... gift, no charge. I'll take a look.
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:31:20 AM

https://i.imgur.com/qc6xWUX.png

There's the "fee". It definitely is a gift, because when I try to dispute the claim, boom: it's a gift and I can't.
vitriol

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:41:39 AM

paypal will take care of it. Just tell them it was a scam,attach whatever proof you have to your complaint and you'll have your money back within a week,his account will get closed. They really don't like scammers Wink
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:27:57 AM

How do you know this? Because I gave them a call and they basically said nothing could be done due to the gifting thing.
I DID however, send them a detailed email providing image proof that I was basically scammed, so that's good. See, by phone they can't see shit. This email detailed everything that happened, his remarks, non-responses, sarcastic replies suggesting his scamming nature. I also linked to other Bitcoinary orders which listed him as a scammer. I won't stop sending those emails until I get my money back. Surely it can't be too hard for them to pull it off. Taking the point that shibaji made, I said how he made me send it as a gift because that was how he'd accept it, and then in the second account when I talked about escrow and secure payment he rejected it. I can't get my point across about how pathetic this guy is.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I thank you all for your continued support and replies.
zocipro

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:53:49 AM

This kind of users need to be banned forever! Cry
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:17:10 PM

Forget about submitting the dispute using paypal web site. Search Google for paypal support/scam emails. Paypal has a lot of emails where you can send logs/scansto open a dispute. Send them to two or three different addresses. Explain he is doing this to other people. Paypal hate people that use them to sell bitcoins (actually, they hate bitcoin and is against their TOS to sell currency), therefore they might go along just to teach a lesson to the seller. Of course, they might decide to teach both of you a lesson, freezing his account, but without paying you back. Typical paypal reaction. But at least he will get a lesson too.
Google also his email/name accounts; usually, you will find other emails/accounts he is using on other websites and you might find other paypal accounts (or other reversible systems, where you can try your luck) that he is using, just in case that one is empty of money.
It's very easy to track a seller on the Internet, they all use foruns, etc.
You might end up finding his facebook or other private info and then you will have means to go to authorities, threat him to write to his family about him, etc. Basically, make his life miserable.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
danel70

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:43:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up about this dude and will avoid him.
Rayen

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:05:15 PM

Okay.
call Paypal.
Dispute the charge as an unauthorized charge.
Tell them that it wasn't you who made the transfer and it was your cousin/brother/sister who did it when you had your PayPal account logged in.
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:22:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up about this dude and will avoid him.

You're welcome. People like this need to be outed, especially since "Stryder" is apparently on this forum.
RonSwanson (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:24:19 PM

Forget about submitting the dispute using paypal web site. Search Google for paypal support/scam emails. Paypal has a lot of emails where you can send logs/scansto open a dispute. Send them to two or three different addresses. Explain he is doing this to other people. Paypal hate people that use them to sell bitcoins (actually, they hate bitcoin and is against their TOS to sell currency), therefore they might go along just to teach a lesson to the seller. Of course, they might decide to teach both of you a lesson, freezing his account, but without paying you back. Typical paypal reaction. But at least he will get a lesson too.
Google also his email/name accounts; usually, you will find other emails/accounts he is using on other websites and you might find other paypal accounts (or other reversible systems, where you can try your luck) that he is using, just in case that one is empty of money.
It's very easy to track a seller on the Internet, they all use foruns, etc.
You might end up finding his facebook or other private info and then you will have means to go to authorities, threat him to write to his family about him, etc. Basically, make his life miserable.

Unfortunately it's easier said than done. It's quite difficult to find anything conclusive since it's probably a fake name. I WILL however, send them emails to multiple accounts so the message gets through. It would just be disgraceful if they actually sided with this criminal.
stryder

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:16:20 PM

Just to be clear with everyone here. I am NOT the person from Bitcoinary! Although it's a big coincidence that we have the same user name.
I hope that RonSwanson will have his money back. 
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:20:30 PM

Rule #1: Trust no one.  Use escrow.
You mean... trust the escrow guy?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: