Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:32:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge selloff + Ordering not possible on MtGox  (Read 13149 times)
altoid

Activity: 48
Merit: 9

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:27:04 PM

i had an open buy at $1 and it got filled.  made about $200k assuming bitcoins stay where they are around $10, crazy shit.  Should I transfer my coins to an external wallet?

Holy jesus, so people did make out. Can you verify that these are legit bitcoins that you can move out to an external wallet?

moving them now...

edit: no wait, mt gox is limiting my daily withdrawal

I call bullshit.

well, I got 80 of 22k bitcoins out of my account Tongue  fingers crossed I can get the rest when the site comes back

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:27:29 PM

your limited to withdrawing $1,000 worth of bitcoins a day
Reno

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:27:53 PM

mtgox completely offline now?
was able to place an order when it was under 1$ but didn't receive ANY btc...
just think someone messed with the mtgox db.. don't think this was any legit trade

time to consider a security update on this trading platform....
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:30:05 PM

===== PLEASE READ THIS!! =====

I WOULD NOT PUT ANY TRADES ON UNTIL WE HEAR FROM MARK!!! CLEARLY Mtgox has been hacked. What is happening is NOT somebody "dumping" their bitcoins to "cash out". Somebody managed to break into it, and it is playing with the database. We need to wait until Mark (Mtux) has a chance to check this mess.

If you put more orders, it will only mean overloading the system more and more, and more work afterwards to try and weed out good trades from bad trades.

ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT CASH OUT ANY MTGOX USD TO ANYBODY (LIKE BUYING MTGOX USD FOR A MONEY PACK) UNTIL WE HEAR FROM MARK!!

This is an ILLUSION created by a bunch of bots to create panic. DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO IT!

1) They are clearly "under attack" in terms of accessing the site.
2) No one really knows if the huge order was real, we cannot assume it was fake since they got good prices on the first part of the order.*

*Edit: Obviously something is strange about all of this...

If you are correct, then it could be days before trading resumes.  Shocked

Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:31:06 PM

So I take it the only people who were able to buy in this huge selloff, were poeple who actually had bid orders placed before this selloff?

Was anyone able to buy it during the selloff.

I got totally screwed here because I am waiting for my dwolla account to deposit my money from my bank account. I did not know dwolla took that long or I would have had money in mt. gox, and would have bought at less than $1.00 because I watched this whole thing unfold.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
gyzer

Activity: 50
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:32:14 PM

I had a buy order in at 10 that didn't get filled and actually the order has disappeared entirely from my Mt. Gox account.
randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:32:36 PM

I think that hackers used a lot of hacked accounts to buy every btc they could get. Before doing this, they got a legit mtgox account and placed buying orders at fkn low prices like usd 0.01. That way they were able to steal the usd from the hacked accounts.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:33:39 PM

time to consider leaving this trading platform....
fix'd

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:34:08 PM

I was able to get into the site while it was just over 1 dollar, I entered my bid at 0.8 but it kept giving "another trade in progress... blahhh"

if the site was actually useable while it was happening I should have been able to buy up a bunch, but no luck for me Sad
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:35:41 PM

I am fairly sure it was a real order. Some people are reporting getting existing low bids filled. It was one very very large sell order, new orders were not able to be placed until it finished executing.

Edit: On the subject of hacking, I had USD and BTC in my Mt.Gox account and neither was effected.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
tymothy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:36:59 PM

How about considering a different exchange...like FOREX?

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:37:45 PM

Time in Japan = 3:33am Monday (JST)

unbuttered_toast

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:39:08 PM

I did get about 10 coins during that long period of unresponsiveness, before the site went down. So it wasn't refusing transactions, it was just overloaded.
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:39:35 PM

MtGox is unreachable by me right now.  "The connection has timed out"

I put a buy order in for $12 before I went to bed last night.  Woke up to find it filled, much to my suprise.  Now I see I should have made that $1 instead.  Smiley

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 06:41:02 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2011, 07:25:22 PM by Astrohacker

This is good for bitcoin. One person just sold off a bunch of coins, but many, many people just bought bitcoins, some at a great bargain (I saw one buy for 250000 or so coins at $0.01). Thus, the bitcoin net has just gotten wider... there are probably a few people who just got their first coins, and a lot of people just increased their coins. The ownership of bitcoin has just broadened greatly.

Edit: I retract this comment. It was actually a hack. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=19551.0
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:42:41 PM

If they thought their e-mail backlog was big before.....
finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:44:54 PM

This is good for bitcoin. One person just sold off a bunch of coins, but many, many people just bought bitcoins, some at a great bargain (I saw one buy for 250000 or so coins at $0.01). Thus, the bitcoin net has just gotten wider... there are probably a few people who just got their first coins, and a lot of people just increased their coins. The ownership of bitcoin has just broadened greatly.

If they were not legit trades this is not good. And the fact that the exchange can't handle the volume and is crashed is also not good. I think your perception of good is flawed. Perhaps you're more optimistic than me.....?
jatajuta

Activity: 365

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:45:27 PM

Yes, what makes no sense is that he is selling off 500k of btc's and HALF of this quantity for $0,01.

Why he didnt just dumped the market when it was on 30 or so?

It seems like an attack, this need investigation, is not only a huge sell of an early adopter.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 06:49:40 PM

It's a huge mess due to either bug or hacking, i am 100% sure it's not a real seller dumping 100k coins.  Usually in those cases the exchange will reverse the orders filled below the min level <$1-5, but who knows what mtgox will do since it's basically some guy in a basement...

I use tradehill, seems a bit slow now too but market data looked fine, see a dip to 13 due to the mtgox mess but nothing too crazy.  My pending limit buy order at $13 has not been filled.

https://www.tradehill.com/MarketData/

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
Lumpy

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

your limited to withdrawing $1,000 worth of bitcoins a day

I've had success withdrawal more than that as long as I do multiple withdrawal requests. Each one spit back at my "limit reached" but I was able to do several successive withdrawals with no problems.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: