Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:22:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Newbie Status Really That Hard?  (Read 20870 times)
stubbscroll

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

For someone who mostly lurks, the 5 posts requirement is a tough one.
wizardwithagun

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

It's a pain in the ass, but at least it prevents heaps of spam accounts posting on the main forums
MartinReynolds

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:29:12 PM

The 5 posts is pretty easy, there are quite a few decent threads in here.

Regards,

Martin.
wonko

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:42:42 PM

It's a pain in the ass, but at least it prevents heaps of spam accounts posting on the main forums

I agree, it's far too tedious for spammers to make an account with these regulations Tongue
BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

The 5 posts is pretty easy, there are quite a few decent threads in here.

Regards,

Martin.

+1, I always thought that the 4 hour requirement, not the 5 posts requirement would be the hard one. There are at least several good threads and I think if someone wanted too they could get 5 posts in 10 minutes tops. Though that's just how it was for me.
ixxi

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:47:51 PM

I made an account just because I saw something interesting and wanted to reply. Guess I can't....

wab89

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:50:55 PM

I was newbie 20 yrs. ago.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:51:30 PM

It is a small price to pay if it keeps the forums advertisement/Spam free Tongue

it creates more spam in the newbie forums, which makes it kind of frustrating to view.  Why not add phone number or e-mail verification to improve status faster, and then add a Captcha on each post.... wouldn't that make more sense to prevent spam bots?

That's true, but at least all the spam is restricted to one sub-forum. I'm pretty sure you need an e-mail to register and e-mail verification doesn't make a big difference since it takes 3 minutes to create an email these days. I wouldn't like a phone number verification though because I don't like giving out my phone number. Captcha in each post would prevent spam bots but could get annoying for non spam bots.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:52:53 PM

I understand the process but their must be a better way. Many people join the forum when a pool problem occurs and feel the need to post within the pool's section but are unable to because of the 5 post restriction (4 hours is easy), but finding worthwhile posts to reply to are harder to come by.
Maybe a trial period in the pools forum only would be better, the moderators do hang out there as well.

I agree, people will just get pissed off when they can't post.
I wonder what anyone is gaining with these rules?

The think the forum is gaining is that they can limit all of their 'spam' theoretically to one sub-forum. The thing I've noticed is the newbie forum seems to have more moderators than other forums and I think that in a sense is to help limit their spam. I agree though with maybe a trial period in the pools forum but I posted by pools forum questions in the newbie section and they were answered quickly.
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:58:17 PM

Its really annoying to wait this thing.
payasyougovpn

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:38:56 PM

Sounds to me like an unnecessary maturity test.
Riot75

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:11:50 PM

Just say a short sentence that adds something to the discussion.  Not all that hard...
nesociety

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 11:42:02 PM

I do accept the newbie status with no problem, I guess it is needed to prevent spam and make some sort of filtering !

As this is my first post Tongue
linuxer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:55:18 PM

5 Post is ok but 4 hours of online time is too much.
dfrechet

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:58:09 PM

This is completely untenable. A significant number of competent developers are staying away from this forum because of these posting requirements antics.
ughnewname

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:06:07 AM

I'm not willing to lower the quality of my posts just to break out of newbie-land.  I originally joined this board to PM a seller on the market board; I ended up spending my coins elsewhere.
ktbken

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 12:16:29 AM

As a so called newbie I also find this system very annoying.
I have read this forum for quite some time and am quite heavily involved in LTC and have had no reason to create an account here until now. I now need to pm one of the pool operators through hear and cannot till i go through this ritual.  Huh

Multi-coin pools - http://united-miners.com - IRC  freenode #united-miners
dfrechet

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:40:34 AM

Creative captchas are a better means for that. The current system is just completely gameable using widespread forum bot source and simple text templates.
jonptl

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:00:47 AM

Finally not a newbie

LottoCoin - LOT - the coin that's a game! lottocoin.org

BTC :  1CAHym5P2utWXkZPNbKzGpbRHXKUNwsZmK
OkElmo

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:11:13 AM

It removes the incentive to lurk.

I lurk forums and post relatively infrequently, it's just what I do. Not only does this give me a much better overview of the forum's mentality and norms, but it also cuts the chance of me asking stupid questions that already have a thousand answers elsewhere.

I've been lurking unregistered on this forum for just over a month, it was rather patronizing to be lumped into the "Newbies" section for this.

On the other hand, if I had registered and asked a couple inane questions like "how do I mine with the normal client help guys" then I would have been accelerated to the status of a full member far faster - how counter-intuitive! Other forums I visit support what I am going to term 'lazy registration' (after the Functional Programming concept), in which you only register when you first want to post. The only disadvantage to this lazy registration is being seen as a newbie in the eyes of the populace, but that is hardly a problem with an easy solution and is often insignificant enough not to warrant addressing in the first place.

I think this system needs rethinking - what problem(s) does it address?
  • Bot spam
    • Bots can adapt to the system rather easily, maybe imitating someone with a shaky grasp on English with some word templates and markov chains.
    • Captchas were designed to solve this problem, don't reinvent the wheel - you might find that your wheel is not as round as you first thought.
  • Newbies asking incessant questions in the wrong sections
    • They can and will and do still do this after they are removed from the newbies group.
    • Warnings/bans and topic moves solves this problem rather well
  • Something else?

It also looks like a lot of people think the same:
I'm not willing to lower the quality of my posts just to break out of newbie-land. I originally joined this board to PM a seller on the market board; I ended up spending my coins elsewhere.
... I also find this system very annoying. I have read this forum for quite some time ... and have had no reason to create an account here until now. I now need to pm one of the pool operators ...
I made an account just because I saw something interesting and wanted to reply. Guess I can't....

And that those who don't think the same have rather flawed reasons:
... I guess it is needed to prevent spam and make some sort of filtering !
These points I addressed above.

Additionally, if you want some stone cold proof that people make unconstructive posts after being revoked of their newbie status, look no further than the posts immediately before and after mine.

Edit: One final point I would like to add is that to have all of your posts quarantined in a barely-read high-turnover forum without any categorization system whatsoever is insanity: what's the point in making a load of posts if nobody is going to read them?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: