Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:08:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Newbie Status Really That Hard?  (Read 20870 times)
Grim

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:11:46 AM

Finally not a newbie

same  Cool
dfrechet

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:30:16 AM

[...]

This. Amazing how you could find the patience for writing all of this up despite knowing it will be lost in all the rubble in a few minutes.
darko84

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:58:22 AM

I am still newbie Smiley
Cochese

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:23:38 AM

Meh it doesn't seem like a terrible policy.
ongle

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:29:39 AM

So you have to comment on random things before you can ask your real question? A bit annoying but their house, their rules.
archaviator

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:32:39 AM

From my standpoint I feel like 5 posts here is hard to get. I am personally under the assumption posting things should mean something. Words mean more when you say them less often.
Sikon024

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:57:43 AM

I've been on the page for weeks but signed up yesterday.  I've done 5 posts, left the page open and constantly refreshed it over the past 16 hours and it only says i've only been logged in for 3 hours and 36 mins.... so there's something wrong. I've been typing papers for the past 2 days so I haven't really left my computer. 

The noob terms are reasonable but the 4 post thing is kinda dumb.  Many noob posts get deleted because the're spam and the moderators found it.   

I think the quality of this site would improve if noobs were accepted based on the intellectual content of a post or two and not because they hit 'reply' repeatedly.  Moderators should have the power to fast-track the noob status of valuable members.

MartinReynolds

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:58:41 AM

I've been on the page for weeks but signed up yesterday.  I've done 5 posts, left the page open and constantly refreshed it over the past 16 hours and it only says i've only been logged in for 3 hours and 36 mins.... so there's something wrong. I've been typing papers for the past 2 days so I haven't really left my computer. 

The noob terms are reasonable but the 4 post thing is kinda dumb.  Many noob posts get deleted because the're spam and the moderators found it.   

I think the quality of this site would improve if noobs were accepted based on the intellectual content of a post or two and not because they hit 'reply' repeatedly.  Moderators should have the power to fast-track the noob status of valuable members.

You have to actively browse the forums, not just refresh it. But you're nearly there anyway so welcome to the forums.
mining2btc

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:18:43 AM

It does take time but i can see the value in having the rule
n. perumov

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:24:52 AM

I am still newbie  Sad
hax0red

Activity: 79

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:30:33 AM

It's hard when you need to respond to something like I do now. My situation is that I have been mining at hynodeva.com and was up to about 55 FTC in my account as of yesterday before I went to sleep. I left my cgminer running and when I woke up today I went to check what I was up to(should've been about 75-80 FTC) and now I see zero...NOT a good feeling for me.
themgp

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:43:06 AM

Its definitely annoying as others have said but it is needed. I could see it being tough for the many who don't really care to be that active here as far as posting/ reading alot of the minutia.

+1
bbbdddaaa

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:18:03 AM

I am still newbie  Sad
I am to:(
doodling

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:12:22 AM

I'd been lurking for a bit (definitely >4 hours) and a bit annoyed that I couldn't respond to a forum or two. That being said, I do recognize that the requirement cuts down on spam.
utuxia

Activity: 69

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:17:27 AM

I'm ok with the 5 posts, I'm already at 8. But having to use the site for 4 hours is a bit of a killjoy. I am waiting to ask a question about multibit...and I just have to sit around here for the next 3.5 hours until I can ask my question.

They should open up the tech support forum to newbs.
jasondrey13

Activity: 42
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:27:36 AM

Its definitely annoying as others have said but it is needed. I could see it being tough for the many who don't really care to be that active here as far as posting/ reading alot of the minutia.

agree

comment.
jasondrey13

Activity: 42
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:28:48 AM

It removes the incentive to lurk.

I lurk forums and post relatively infrequently, it's just what I do. Not only does this give me a much better overview of the forum's mentality and norms, but it also cuts the chance of me asking stupid questions that already have a thousand answers elsewhere.

I've been lurking unregistered on this forum for just over a month, it was rather patronizing to be lumped into the "Newbies" section for this.

On the other hand, if I had registered and asked a couple inane questions like "how do I mine with the normal client help guys" then I would have been accelerated to the status of a full member far faster - how counter-intuitive! Other forums I visit support what I am going to term 'lazy registration' (after the Functional Programming concept), in which you only register when you first want to post. The only disadvantage to this lazy registration is being seen as a newbie in the eyes of the populace, but that is hardly a problem with an easy solution and is often insignificant enough not to warrant addressing in the first place.

I think this system needs rethinking - what problem(s) does it address?
  • Bot spam
    • Bots can adapt to the system rather easily, maybe imitating someone with a shaky grasp on English with some word templates and markov chains.
    • Captchas were designed to solve this problem, don't reinvent the wheel - you might find that your wheel is not as round as you first thought.
  • Newbies asking incessant questions in the wrong sections
    • They can and will and do still do this after they are removed from the newbies group.
    • Warnings/bans and topic moves solves this problem rather well
  • Something else?

It also looks like a lot of people think the same:
I'm not willing to lower the quality of my posts just to break out of newbie-land. I originally joined this board to PM a seller on the market board; I ended up spending my coins elsewhere.
... I also find this system very annoying. I have read this forum for quite some time ... and have had no reason to create an account here until now. I now need to pm one of the pool operators ...
I made an account just because I saw something interesting and wanted to reply. Guess I can't....
For someone who mostly lurks, the 5 posts requirement is a tough one.

And that those who don't think the same have rather flawed reasons:
... I guess it is needed to prevent spam and make some sort of filtering !
It's a pain in the ass, but at least it prevents heaps of spam accounts posting on the main forums
These points I addressed above.

Additionally, if you want some stone cold proof that people make unconstructive posts after being revoked of their newbie status, look no further than the posts immediately before and after mine.

Edit: One final point I would like to add is that to have all of your posts quarantined in a barely-read high-turnover forum without any categorization system whatsoever is insanity: what's the point in making a load of posts if nobody is going to read them?

Excellent thoughts.
sli

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:50:24 AM

This is why I should have registered back when I started browsing this forum instead of... well, just now. Undecided
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:52:54 AM

If I understand correctly, the newbie status is the first step to implement something like this.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
tubededentifrice

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:55:10 AM

It especially sucks when you are an experienced user that haven't signed up to the forum.
But I guess it's "the price to pay" be overwhelmed by dumb questions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: