Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:16:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 140,000 votes on Dropbox website and counting! bitcoin adoption imminent?  (Read 43031 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:37:43 PM

PRISM has been in effect since 2007. Fiber optic splitting has been in effect after 9/11. ECHELON has been active since the 1990s.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:45:44 PM

PRISM has been in effect since 2007. Fiber optic splitting has been in effect after 9/11. ECHELON has been active since the 1990s.

Sorry, meant to say full effect. (edited to clarify) If the leak claims that specific companies are not involved with PRISM then I believe it is reasonable to question the accuracy of the leak and to wonder at exactly what scope PRISM is operating.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:53:16 PM

Look folks, regardless of how much Dropbox is cooperating with the NSA at this point, their service is clearly insecure.  People have had their (unencrypted) bitcoin wallets emptied after saving them on Dropbox.  You have to assume that if someone could compromise your security then they will at some point.  That's why everything leaving your machine should be encrypted, and you shouldn't use sites that record IP addresses (use Tor or a VPN as necessary).

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:53:34 PM

Recommended reading of the actual leaks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-intelligence-mining-data-from-nine-us-internet-companies-in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story_3.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-such-agency-spies-on-the-communications-of-the-world/2013/06/06/5bcd46a6-ceb9-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

Congress obliged with the Protect America Act in 2007 and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which immunized private companies that cooperated voluntarily with U.S. intelligence collection. PRISM recruited its first partner, Microsoft, and began six years of rapidly growing data collection beneath the surface of a roiling national debate on surveillance and privacy. Late last year, when critics in Congress sought changes in the FISA Amendments Act, the only lawmakers who knew about PRISM were bound by oaths of office to hold their tongues.

Even when the system works just as advertised, with no American singled out for targeting, the NSA routinely collects a great deal of American content. That is described as “incidental,” and it is inherent in contact chaining, one of the basic tools of the trade. To collect on a suspected spy or foreign terrorist means, at minimum, that everyone in the suspect’s inbox or outbox is swept in. Intelligence analysts are typically taught to chain through contacts two “hops” out from their target, which increases “incidental collection” exponentially. The same math explains the aphorism, from the John Guare play, that no one is more than “six degrees of separation” from any other person.

Tell me if this isn't in full effect Roll Eyes
boonies4u

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:02:24 PM

Recommended reading of the actual leaks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-intelligence-mining-data-from-nine-us-internet-companies-in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story_3.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-such-agency-spies-on-the-communications-of-the-world/2013/06/06/5bcd46a6-ceb9-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

Congress obliged with the Protect America Act in 2007 and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which immunized private companies that cooperated voluntarily with U.S. intelligence collection. PRISM recruited its first partner, Microsoft, and began six years of rapidly growing data collection beneath the surface of a roiling national debate on surveillance and privacy. Late last year, when critics in Congress sought changes in the FISA Amendments Act, the only lawmakers who knew about PRISM were bound by oaths of office to hold their tongues.

Even when the system works just as advertised, with no American singled out for targeting, the NSA routinely collects a great deal of American content. That is described as “incidental,” and it is inherent in contact chaining, one of the basic tools of the trade. To collect on a suspected spy or foreign terrorist means, at minimum, that everyone in the suspect’s inbox or outbox is swept in. Intelligence analysts are typically taught to chain through contacts two “hops” out from their target, which increases “incidental collection” exponentially. The same math explains the aphorism, from the John Guare play, that no one is more than “six degrees of separation” from any other person.

Tell me if this isn't in full effect Roll Eyes
I have already stated that unless Google and Facebook are giving blatant lies that PRISM is likely not in full effect.

Those are articles, not the actual leak.
Here are the leaked slides. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/

bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:06:51 PM

Look folks, regardless of how much Dropbox is cooperating with the NSA at this point, their service is clearly insecure.  People have had their (unencrypted) bitcoin wallets emptied after saving them on Dropbox.

Serious? Link?

cheesylard

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 05:58:39 PM

+6'ed.
spartacus_

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:39:54 PM

+6 voted

COINVALIDATION IS SLAVERY NAMECOIN IS FREEDOM
BOYCOTT COINVALIDATION BUY NAMECOINS
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 03:48:00 AM

I can't believe you people actually use or care about Dropbox.  They are signing on with the NSA to assist in eavesdropping.  If they take bitcoin directly, then they'll happily pass along your bitcoin sending addresses too.  SpiderOak is a better choice as the data is encrypted before it leaves your machine.

Source on Dropbox working with NSA?

Top secret PRISM documents which were leaked by a whistleblower.

Google denies their involvement and knowledge of PRISM. If he's telling the truth, that certainly lowers the credibility of the leak and increases the chances that other companies were not contacted regarding this as well.

Quote from: Larry Page
Dear Google users—

You may be aware of press reports alleging that Internet companies have joined a secret U.S. government program called PRISM to give the National Security Agency direct access to our servers. As Google’s CEO and Chief Legal Officer, we wanted you to have the facts.

First, we have not joined any program that would give the U.S. government—or any other government—direct access to our servers. Indeed, the U.S. government does not have direct access or a “back door” to the information stored in our data centers. We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/what.html

edit: Facebook denies as well.

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10100828955847631

So, Google hasn't heard of Prism, eh!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newboundary.prismmobile

Description

Experience Control™ - Anytime, Anywhere.

Prism Mobile™ is a companion app for Prism Suite® that gives you a way to leverage Prism’s power from your Android™ device. Use Prism Mobile to see what’s happening with critical deployments, no matter where you are. Take timely action to solve problems – or prevent them. Prism Mobile conveys information about your tasks, their assignments and results, plus details about computers and groups – anytime, anywhere. If you have multiple Prism channels, you can access all of them with a single login to the app.

Prism Mobile is powered by Prism Suite, an automated PC configuration management solution that provides complete and automatic control over widely distributed IT networks and mobile workforces. Adding Prism Mobile’s powerful troubleshooting capabilities to your back office installation of Prism Suite will turn your productivity up a notch – whether you’re at your desk or on the move!

Here are some of the ways you can use Prism Mobile:

Manage Your Deployment Tasks
•Edit task properties
•Make a new task assignment to a computer or group
•Manipulate existing task assignments - reinstall (now, later, at next logon or next start up), uninstall or delete an assignment
Monitor Deployment Issues
•See at a glance the number of issues related to deployments
•Learn which issues are new since the last time you checked
•Sort deployment results by task name, by time or by target computer name
•View detailed error results for each deployment that failed
•Identify which computers or tasks have the highest number of recent deployment issues
Take Corrective Action
•Fix typos in a task’s command syntax that cause it to fail
•Change an assignment’s run-as account, or correct the run-as password
•Disable a task or remove its assignment to give yourself more time to troubleshoot
Learn About Your Managed Computers
•Look at detailed properties of computers such as OS version, Prism client version, last poll time, IP and MAC addresses, etc.
•Initiate a “poll now” request for a computer
•Check to see which tasks have been assigned directly to a computer
•Check to see what groups a computer belong to
View Information about Your Computer Groups
•View and search your configuration groups and organizational groups, which include Active Directory groups
•Navigate easily from parent groups to their subgroups
•Identify which computers are members of a group
•View the rule text that defines a configuration group
•Verify that computers are joining critical configuration groups as expected
•See which tasks have already been assigned directly to groups, and make new assignments to groups
•Reinstall, uninstall or delete existing group task assignments

Prism Suite is a registered trademark of New Boundary Technologies, Inc. Prism Mobile and Experience Control are trademarks of New Boundary Technologies, Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:35:28 PM

Dear Google users—

... We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

Hmmm. How is it possible that I have heard of the PRISM software before, but Google has not?

I find this very hard to believe. I might have to change my voting to:
Make dropbox secure from any entity that might twist your little pencil arm until you squeal the names of your trusting users.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:20:21 PM

Most popular Dropbox requests:

#1: 176884 (watch any folder)
#2: 154061 (sharing permissions)
#3: 119225 (better prices)
#4: 113258 (accept Bitcoin as payment)

This was a great initiative. We're now beyond the one-month mark, and initial voters haven't flocked back to re-vote.  We're close.

What if we renamed this thread title:

Voted this month? 5,967 Votes Remain until Bitcoin is #3 Dropbox Request Ever!

Update the count as appropriate, moving to #2, #1. The title at least implies that, with Dropbox, voting is not a one-time thing. 

I've been a dropbox user for awhile, and was not aware of the renewed votes per month.  I think it's significant enough to this effort, it may be worth being the very first thing stated in this thread. "We can vote again? Shoot, I better do that."

We've got the people to make this the #1 request. Hell, we could theoretically do it this month.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

Most popular Dropbox requests:

#1: 176884 (watch any folder)
#2: 154061 (sharing permissions)
#3: 119225 (better prices)
#4: 113258 (accept Bitcoin as payment)

This was a great initiative. We're now beyond the one-month mark, and initial voters haven't flocked back to re-vote.  We're close.

What if we renamed this thread title:

Voted this month? 5,967 Votes Remain until Bitcoin is #3 Dropbox Request Ever!

Update the count as appropriate, moving to #2, #1. The title at least implies that, with Dropbox, voting is not a one-time thing. 

I've been a dropbox user for awhile, and was not aware of the renewed votes per month.  I think it's significant enough to this effort, it may be worth being the very first thing stated in this thread. "We can vote again? Shoot, I better do that."

We've got the people to make this the #1 request. Hell, we could theoretically do it this month.

Accepting bitcoin as payment should be able to stand on its own merits, not because of an obvious campaign ramp

vindimy

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:38:33 PM

Accepting bitcoin as payment should be able to stand on its own merits, not because of an obvious campaign ramp

Well, there's "should", and then there's the real world Cheesy Campaigns, awareness, and promotions are all a necessary evil.

I see you have your Bitcoin address in the sig. Shouldn't donating bitcoins to you be able to stand on its own merits? Wink

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:50:15 PM

Well, there's "should", and then there's the real world Cheesy Campaigns, awareness, and promotions are all a necessary evil.

I see you have your Bitcoin address in the sig. Shouldn't donating bitcoins to you be able to stand on its own merits? Wink

I agree. But the target is the dropbox team, not a general promotion for the public. It's just that they might continue to ignore something which is ramped, and they feel has not got grassroots support.
I like the whole initiative, and hope it succeeds.

Koekiemonster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Bump, most people should be able to vote again.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 06:48:19 PM

Bump, most people should be able to vote again.

Looks to me like Dropbox is purposely avoiding adding a Bitcoin option. Any business receiving more than a handful of requests to give them money would jump on the chance for additional revenue unless .....

bitcoinator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:56:27 PM

just a matter of time imho
boonies4u

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:18:55 PM

just a matter of time imho

That sounds kind of scary if you think about it...

Then again... that's how a new paradigm works...
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:36:04 PM

gave all of my 6 votes! and made a comment as well!!!
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:40:39 PM

Let's see how responsive dropbox is to users' request/needs/demands. If they act deaf and dumb, I see a bleak future ahead for dropbox. I hope they listen and act decisively in favor of adopting bitcoin as payment.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: