Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:15:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It is illegal to spend bitcoins in China  (Read 4429 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:54:36 AM

http://www.informationweek.com/internet/ebusiness/china-limits-use-of-virtual-currency/218101859

"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services," the Ministries said.

I wonder why they failed to mention that in the documentary.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:56:17 AM

http://www.informationweek.com/internet/ebusiness/china-limits-use-of-virtual-currency/218101859

"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services," the Ministries said.

Nah, no one cares about that. Seriously, game gold mining is an extremely profitable and public job in China. It's a defunct or dead law.
Awhut

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:00:04 AM

Nah, no one cares about that. Seriously, game gold mining is an extremely profitable and public job in China. It's a defunct or dead law.

Laws do not expire unless they are overturned, they only stop being enforced at the discretion of the authorities. If China decided bitcoin is a problem they could decide to enforce this once more. Just trying to cover all the angles.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:16:11 AM

If China decided bitcoin is a problem they could decide to enforce this once more.

What does it mean "If China decides"? Do you think that whole CCTV issue was just another version of the "Hundred Flowers Campaign"?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
dbanga85

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:25:48 AM

Elwar you turned BEAR? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Buy Low Sell HIGH is the Motto...
Awhut

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:26:07 AM

If China decided bitcoin is a problem they could decide to enforce this once more.

What does it mean "If China decides"? Do you think that whole CCTV issue was just another version of the "Hundred Flowers Campaign"?

Not really, just making sure we are saying what we mean to be saying and playing Devil's advocate.
AmazonStuff

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:52:13 AM

China already banned Q-Coin, product of the chinese company Tencent QQ, because people started trading it for the real-world goods and it became a possible threat to chinese yuan.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:55:01 AM

Oh no no, but it aired on a government censored network. Herp. That means they gave bitcoin the go ahead because they want to destabilize the United States. Derp.

Elon Krusky
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:21:59 AM

The link clearly states that gold farming is allowed. It's a 9 digit export industry, it would be foolish to ban fat western geeks from paying money to the chinese game farmers. What it's forbidden is using the virtual currency as real money outside the specific context it was intended for, like game items or voip minutes.

That means mining Bitcoin is not illegal; exchanging to and from real cash and owning bitcoins are also legal. There are no "in game" purchases for bitcoin, the whole point is real world use as a replacement currency and that it's specifically banned in China. So chinese can only speculate, not use bitcoin for purchasing anything directly. Bussines as usual for bitcoin, China is a huge growth market (/jk).

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:26:27 AM

Related thread - 1.35 billion people won't adopt Bitcoin.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 09:34:54 AM

China already banned Q-Coin, product of the chinese company Tencent QQ, because people started trading it for the real-world goods and it became a possible threat to chinese yuan.

QQ coins are still very much alive and well - it is simply that they can't be exchanged for RMB but instead only for the purchase of goods and/or services (basically this was to stop one company from effectively being able to create inflation by arbitrarily printing its own "money" which if course is not really the same situation with Bitcoins).

Also what is *legal* is not the same as what is *enforced* and in fact what is *common practice*.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
AmazonStuff

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:46:17 AM

QQ coins are still very much alive and well - it is simply that they can't be exchanged for RMB but instead only for the purchase of goods and/or services (basically this was to stop one company from effectively being able to create inflation by arbitrarily printing its own "money" which if course is not really the same situation with Bitcoins).

Also what is *legal* is not the same as what is *enforced* and in fact what is *common practice*.

The official Xinhua News Agency reported in November 2006 that the Chinese central bank may begin supervision of virtual currencies as they could affect the value of the yuan. The People’s Bank of China would put Q-coins issued by Tencent Holdings Ltd. under its oversight if they entered wider circulation, Xinhua reported at the time.

Virtual currency may only be used to buy online game items, the Ministry of Culture said in today’s statement. Game operators must provide the ministry with information about their virtual currencies, according to the statement.

Having seen the increase of illegal currency trade and its impact on the economy, the Chinese government banned Q-coins for purchasing real goods and services in 2009.

So only Tencent QQ goods and services could be purchased with Q-Coin.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

So this means Chinese can invest in Bitcoin, but can't [legally] buy dog food with it.

Officials know that Chinese investing (and formation of more Chinese exchanges) will raise its value and contribute to stability, thus making it a more realistic alternative to the U.S. dollar for others elsewhere in the world. This is a way to hurt the U.S. without hurting the Yuan (at least until the Chinese rebel and start using bitcoins for purchases anyways...)

I'm not complaining.

I'm sure all the butthurt bears who think market forces are inherently evil will think "Oh no, they are spending X % vs. hoarding X %, that meets my imaginary ratio limit of what makes you a 'evil 1% speculator,' they are going to crash the bear market, long slow slide, buttcon is going dooowwwnnnn, increase in demand in china will cause price to go downnnn, thus violating the most fundamental law of economics which is supply vs demand dictates price, I am an idiot, look at my low post count, by the way, here's a graph with some scary red lines"

I'm sorry that investment does not automatically equal instability, that's just not the way the world works  Wink you can't buy a gallon of gas with stock registered in the Dow Jones but it's a lot more stable than bitcoin and it is a market of 100% speculators...  Huh

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 01:20:33 PM

The likelihood of Chinese using Bitcoin to buy things at this stage would be hopeful at best (the charges for credit card purchases here are amongst the lowest in the world).

I think that the fact that Bitcoin is *decentralised* is helpful in comparison with something like QQ coins (i.e. it doesn't threaten the value of the RMB like a private organisation just *printing* virtual money could).

Where this will lead is hard to say but as China holds so much USD (that gets worth less and less every day) I don't think they are going to be that quick to try and stop it.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
SAQ

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:23:33 PM

What issuer? Who issues bitcoins?

That law had to do with Q coins. Since there is no issuer of bitcoins, it does not apply to bitcoins.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:27:06 PM

Oh no no, but it aired on a government censored network. Herp. That means they gave bitcoin the go ahead because they want to destabilize the United States. Derp.

Ah yes, socialized communism, where holding hands in public can cause pandemonium. I say we pay back our Chinese monetary debt with BTC. While they figure out what to do with them, we lace up our ASICs and cancel those codes.

Chinese citizens may not cause bitcoins to be used as real currency by law, whereas party members are free to mine, trade, and cash out btc.

I thought btc stood for the end of such political controls over a large population.

Now how do we fix it, and more importantly, how do we support the proBTC movement in china with btc.
I wish our posts had a little country flag, so we could triage support to those billions of btc deprived folks.  And how do you ensure btc doesn't end up in party control... That's harder.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:36:19 PM

yet, CCTV is bringing a long piece. if it was considered illegal they would have mentioned this.

in fact - from a strategic prespective china should love to have a strong bitcoin. if chinese manufacturers would stop piling up USD and get something of value instead like gold or bitcoin they could very slowly reduce the amount of T-Bills held. All their bilateral swap agreements aim towards that. their accumulation of gold aims towards that.

if i were a chinese official looking at bitcoin, i would promote it for international trade very gently to bring it slowly to a state where it helps them with their exports.
Blueberry408

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:37:03 PM

The likelihood of Chinese using Bitcoin to buy things at this stage would be hopeful at best (the charges for credit card purchases here are amongst the lowest in the world).

I think that the fact that Bitcoin is *decentralised* is helpful in comparison with something like QQ coins (i.e. it doesn't threaten the value of the RMB like a private organisation just *printing* virtual money could).

Where this will lead is hard to say but as China holds so much USD (that gets worth less and less every day) I don't think they are going to be that quick to try and stop it.

Credit card purchases cheap yes, but how ubiquitous is acceptance of plastic.  
While you see many signs and terminals indicating plastic money is accepted, the truth is plastic is generally untrusted and most merchants will refuse plastic outright. I'd say 95%. Why?
Many reasons, mainly though, people think if you don't pay with cash, its a trick and you're stealing. Period.

The PRC is not a nation that values it's people.  IT OWNS THEM.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
Blueberry408

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:40:45 PM

yet, CCTV is bringing a long piece. if it was considered illegal they would have mentioned this.

in fact - from a strategic prespective china should love to have a strong bitcoin. if chinese manufacturers would stop piling up USD and get something of value instead like gold or bitcoin they could very slowly reduce the amount of T-Bills held. All their bilateral swap agreements aim towards that. their accumulation of gold aims towards that.

if i were a chinese official looking at bitcoin, i would promote it for international trade very gently to bring it slowly to a state where it helps them with their exports.

I don't think it's right for btc to help a govt that has no problem with exports because they use slave labor for production.  There's nothing ok with putting btc in a PRC govt officials' hands.  Give their starving a chance, for the love of all things holy and otherwise.

woodrowchai

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:49:01 PM

I don't think Chinese gov will forbid it in short time.
And I don't care if she do it.I will keep holding my btc.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: