Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:31:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING! Bitcoin will soon block small transaction outputs  (Read 58479 times)
Omen1855

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:01:27 AM

So, a hardcoded magic number has been made configurable. Except most do not like the new default magic number. Technically I see that as an improvement. Developers are giving you more control. If it is such a big issue, won't the market decide what the best configuration is?

Affiliation code wTksie2mDj for a 10% discount on your trading fees on BitFinex

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:02:39 AM

You idiots know it's just a default setting that can be changed, right?

You can just change this in the config, and connect to a few nodes in pools that accept non-standard tx's.
+1

Knock yourselves out, no fork needed, just add this to your bitcoin.conf and convince a few big miners or mining pools to do the same:

minrelaytxfee=0

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:05:31 AM

People seem to want to use the network to send messages,
Even prunable data results in perpetual storage.  We've talked in the past at adding messaging, not because it belongs in Bitcoin (in fact it has very high costs and serious risks) but because it would deflect some of the transaction messaging stuff which is even worse... but that would do nothing to address the fact that some people wise to use data packed in transactions to coerce Bitcoin users to store data for them against their wishes— someone trying to do that won't use a kinder alternative voluntarily.

Quote from: Omen1855
Except most do not like the new default magic number.
I think your sampling of people with bright orange ignore indicators on Bitcointalk may not be the most representative sample. Tongue But indeed, its configurable.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:05:37 AM

So, a hardcoded magic number has been made configurable. Except most do not like the new default magic number.

Yes.  Though I argue that most are just not familiar with the system, and reacting without learning.

As it currently stands, the new default magic number is lower than in prior versions.  So fees are getting lowered -- and user configurable to be easily lowered again (or raised, if that is what the user desires).

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:09:26 AM

Luckily, the solution is obvious: blockchain pruning.
Pruning reduces historic data, it doesn't reduce the unspent transactions outputs— they could be spent at any time so you need a ultimately trusted copy of them in order to validate a block you receive (and prevent theft and inflation). Part of the problem with people cramming data in 1e-8 value txouts— which are completely and forever unspendable, but not in a way which can be machine detected— is that it increases the size of the data which cannot ever be pruned.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:12:45 AM

Read through the threads and pullreq, i support this change.

JamesTaylor

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:15:06 AM

I agree with this we need to fork, bitcoin was once known for the small transactions, and they want to take that away. Gavin has an ego and it needs to be taken under control. This is ridiculous this is a fix because they don't want to spend time trying to fix the bloat of the blockchain thru censorship!

I think we need to ask ourselves if Bitcoin will be a small transaction currency in the future or if it will be the backbone of a new future financial system in which the regular user rarely interacts with the blockchain directly.

That said, rather then fork- why not devise an alt-coin or use bitcoin testnet coins for this?

Your talking about something maybe in 25-50 years from now could happen. Today I want to send a penny if I use 0.8.2 I can't. IT IS CENSORSHIP. THE FOUNDATION IS ALL ABOUT CENSORSHIP!!!! GAVIN IS A DICTATOR OF BITCOIN. SATOSHI WOULD CRY RIGHT NOW!!! THE DEV TEAM CAN"T EVEN CODE THERE WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG, THEY ARE USELESS. I am sick of them, the community is sick of them, it is time to cut them out of the power positions they have created for them self. If you believe that your correct go update, but trust me it starts with little changes like this and next thing you know your silk road addresses are block, then other things. GAVIN IS A POWER HUNGRY GREEDY PERSON, I SAW THIS FROM DAY ONE OF THE FOUNDATION. I HAVE BEEN RIGHT THE WHOLE WAY DOWN TO THIS.

OVER THROW THE DEV TEAM, THEY CAN"T HANDLE THE POWER THEY HAVE!

Even with caps, Quote worthy. I thought exactly the same and was not sure how to express it. Who gave them the power? Are they even proved as good enough programmers? This should not be allowed with the main client the vast majority is using. Not at all. Community raise.
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:19:39 AM

I just read through the entire thread and support links...

My first impression (without any research) was WTF!!

After some reading it dawned on me.

No blockchain changes.
No forcing of the version on clients (or miners) who still want satoshi sized transactions.
The change is client configurable.

I don't see an issue.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:22:12 AM

I just read through the entire thread and support links...

My first impression (without any research) was WTF!!

After some reading it dawned on me.

No blockchain changes.
No forcing of the version on clients (or miners) who still want satoshi sized transactions.
The change is client configurable.

I don't see an issue.

If this isn't a protocol change, but merely a CLIENT change, then this is essentially a non-issue. If we ( and I include myself in this) don't like it, then it should incentivize us to create competing bitcoin clients. And ultimately, Gavin says that's what he wants. Perhaps he knows that this issue will piss off a lot of people and inspire them to start an alternate client to the QT.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:23:40 AM

If this isn't a protocol change, but merely a CLIENT change, then this is essentially a non-issue.

This is not a protocol change.

This is a client change.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:27:47 AM

If this isn't a protocol change, but merely a CLIENT change, then this is essentially a non-issue.

This is not a protocol change.

This is a client change.

Thank you for clarifying that. While I still strongly dislike the move, I retract my earlier statements about not upgrading. Hopefully this will inspire a new team of devs to create a competing client with the QT.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:39:48 AM

You can just change this in the config, and connect to a few nodes in pools that accept non-standard tx's.
+1

Knock yourselves out, no fork needed, just add this to your bitcoin.conf and convince a few big miners or mining pools to do the same:

minrelaytxfee=0

Wow dude, you are a fucking Nazi.  Do as I say BITCOIN!

I'm done here if this change is made.  No one dictates what I should or shouldn't send.  I don't give a fuck who you are.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:41:39 AM

But you are defending something only the bitcoin "millionaires" want.  So far the majority of the bitcoin world is against this if you check the other post/poll in this sub and the votes.  I don't care if it's permanent or not.  Transaction size should not be limited. Period.

This is exactly how I feel about this change, when and if it occurs. Cutting poor man out. This actually makes my skin crawl.

This is a fundamental change of Bitcoin, and really seems to go against the idea of freedom of financial transactions.  Now, we will be regulated to only sending transactions of a certain size.  No free market choice here...

Bleh.

This

Agreed.

Big Banks > US Government > Gavin...

This whole thing stinks of high shit.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:46:26 AM

+1

minrelaytxfee=0

Wow dude, you are a fucking Nazi.  Do as I say BITCOIN!

I'm done here if this change is made.  No one dictates what I should or shouldn't send.  I don't give a fuck who you are.

There is absolutely no need for personal abuse.

Gavin is doing the best job in what is becoming a very challenging role. He has the support of all of the thinking devs who understand the issues on this change. As far as I can tell, this is the best move possible in the circumstances (noone is all knowing), and timely also.

Chin up Gavin, try to tune out the unthinking mobocracy .... we'll get there in the end.

bitcoiners

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:47:59 AM

+1

minrelaytxfee=0

Wow dude, you are a fucking Nazi.  Do as I say BITCOIN!

I'm done here if this change is made.  No one dictates what I should or shouldn't send.  I don't give a fuck who you are.

There is absolutely no need for personal abuse.

Gavin is doing the best job in what is a very challenging role. He has the support of all of the thinking devs who understand the issues on this change. As far as I can tell, this is the best move possible in the circumstances (noone is all knowing), and timely also.

Chin up Gavin, try to tune out the unthinking mobocracy .... we'll get there in the end.

Gavin just a couple questions?

How much were you paid by the FEDS?  Was it enough?  You want to regulate bitcoin?  Fuck this.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:48:49 AM

But you are defending something only the bitcoin "millionaires" want.  So far the majority of the bitcoin world is against this if you check the other post/poll in this sub and the votes.  I don't care if it's permanent or not.  Transaction size should not be limited. Period.

This is exactly how I feel about this change, when and if it occurs. Cutting poor man out. This actually makes my skin crawl.

You know this only affects transactions < 1 cent? Surely you understand that. How many fiat transactions have you ever done for less than 1 cent?
How many poor people would throw away a 1 cent coin? How many beggars would spit at you for tossing them a 1 cent coin?

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:49:44 AM

I fully understand all of the issues involved and from my own point of view Gavin, Jeff, and Greg are doing an amazing job dealing with the unwashed masses of the Bitcoin public regarding these and other issues. Everything so far has been sensible and they deserve a ton of praise for treating the protocol and the software with utmost respect, professionalism, and rigor.

They could ignore the rabble of voices but instead choose to be vocal and open about their rationale, coming to the forum to explain everything that is going on and keeping records of all the deliberations. If only the Bitcoin Foundation was run as well.

bitcoiners

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:50:18 AM

You know this only affects transactions < 1 cent? Surely you understand that. How many fiat transactions have you ever done for less than 1 cent?
How many poor people would throw away a 1 cent coin? How many beggars would spit at you for tossing them a 1 cent coin?

It doesn't fucking matter. It's regulations put on Bitcoins.  That's what matters.  Jesus people wake the fuck up.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:58:05 AM

It doesn't fucking matter. It's regulations put on Bitcoins.  That's what matters.  Jesus people wake the fuck up.

Exactly. My jaw is dropped over this.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:58:10 AM

Thank you for clarifying that. While I still strongly dislike the move,
I think when you have more time to absorb what is actually being changed you might change your mind. The bottom line is that every user will be able to set their own dust limit. The current version has hardcoded limits that can not be changed without a source patch and recompile. The new version will have limits that can be changed with a setting in bitcoin.conf.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: