Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:15:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: V007s SATA powered risers  (Read 4034 times)
h2gvaka (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:47:40 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell me are directly SATA powered risers good? Or I should stick with Molex?

Thanks.
whitrzac

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 04:00:27 PM

Don't use any sata connector with a molded end on it. Crimp connection only. Undecided
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 05:10:42 PM

Don't use any sata connector with a molded end on it. Crimp connection only. Undecided

What does that mean exactly? I thought PSU SATA to 6-pin SATA risers were the preference over PSU SATA to 4-pin molex risers.
eth4lyfe

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2017, 06:16:20 PM

What does that mean exactly? I thought PSU SATA to 6-pin SATA risers were the preference over PSU SATA to 4-pin molex risers.

They are the preference, but it still involves SATA. Crimping means that the wires are pressed together very tightly (which is safe), molded would infer there's some kind of glue/paste holding it together, which is dangerous at high temperatures.
slovakia

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 07:13:58 PM

any screens for us...thanks

Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 07:27:48 PM

The risers I have bought about 32 of them from China , all of them come with SATA connectors which I didn't use at all. I only used 4 pin molex cables from the PSU, running a few mining boards with these cables and everything running smoothly. No problems reported until now. I would stick with the molex cables from the PSU. Of course branded PSU-s is the most important thing of a mining board so do not go cheap in this area.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
h2gvaka (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 08:12:12 PM

Not sure I follow you.... I was talking about these, PSU to SATA directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=v007s+riser&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjliaXu08DUAhVC1hQKHY1jBgsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=737#imgrc=Ak7zyte6UzJ0DM:

Not SATA to Molex or 6pin.

Or are you saying that SATA connector on Riser's PCB is glued and that's not good?

ben8jam

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:09:53 AM

Not sure I follow you.... I was talking about these, PSU to SATA directly.

Not SATA to Molex or 6pin.

Or are you saying that SATA connector on Riser's PCB is glued and that's not good?

I'm horribly confused about this too.

I have two types of risers, one has 4-molex and one has 6-pin PSU-looking type plug. Both have a sata connector cable. My PSU comes with two types of cables. A perif to 4x molex string and a 6-pin to 4x SATA string.

What exactly am I not supposed to do and what am I supposed to do. From what I've gathered I should use the 6-pin to SATA string to sata cable to molex. And I should use the Perif to 4x molex string connected directly to the riser BUT only two per string of 4.

However, what about the 6-pin riser? Can I use the 6pin-to-SATA cable that was provided and connect it to the 6-pin to 4x SATA cable that comes with my PSU?
whitrzac

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:38:23 AM

However, what about the 6-pin riser? Can I use the 6pin-to-SATA cable that was provided and connect it to the 6-pin to 4x SATA cable that comes with my PSU

Not if you enjoy your house.
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:43:52 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2017, 08:22:15 AM by poby

Ideally you want a single cable with a 6 pin connector going to a 6 pin receptor on the riser, with no adaptors in between.  In the real world this is rarely possible.

Best connector is 6pin, closely followed by the 4 pin molex.  Not a huge difference really.  What you want to avoid as much as possible is powering the risers through a sata connector.  That includes those sata adaptors they usually include.  The weakest point whether it's on the riser or an adaptor in between will be the sata connector.  The latter was never designed to carry as much current as the molex and 6 pin.  It will probably work fine but there is a greater likelihood of failure and even fire, especially if the sata is poor quality.

On the rig I'm building, I have 3 cables with 4 molex on each.  I will power 6 risers (2 from each cable).  I think this is preferable to having a dedicated wire for each one if it means passing through a sata adaptor.  Molex and 6 pin connectors are simpler and more robust than the sata and are rated to carry a higher current.

This is why I won't use the 7S risers as they all seem to be sata based.
poby

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:53:25 AM

Just to backup my statements above...

Sata has 3 x 12volt pins each rated for 1.5 amps so total 4.5 amps is 54 watts.

Molex has 1 x 12 volt pin but it's a big-ass pin (compared to sata) and is rated to handle 11 amps (132 watts)

I know the 7c sounds like the latest and greatest but I would strongly advise not using it (assuming it has the sata connector).  It will probably work but also probably be carrying more current than it's rated for.  High quality connectors will have a larger safety margin but why take the risk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power_connectors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
ben8jam

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 07:40:40 AM

Can you provide a link to an example riser? So many people have said so many opposite things I am totally confused. It sounds like you're saying the sata plug risers are actually worse then the molex ones. Where is everyone getting all these risers and dedicated cables? Or 90% of people are doing it wrong...
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 07:44:28 AM

I would stick with Molex it can have up to 132W or with PCI-E 6Pin. The 6pin can have 75W.
Mobo PCI-E power is 75W.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
poby

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 08:18:29 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2017, 08:30:57 AM by poby

Can you provide a link to an example riser? So many people have said so many opposite things I am totally confused. It sounds like you're saying the sata plug risers are actually worse then the molex ones. Where is everyone getting all these risers and dedicated cables? Or 90% of people are doing it wrong...

It's really quite straightforward:

Sata connectors are rated at no more than 54 watts.

Molex connectors are rated at 132 watts.

I'm not sure what the 6 pin is rated at but I think it's more than the Molex.

6 pin rated at 75 watts.

Therefore if you have any sata connectors in the cable to your riser, then there is a risk of overloading the connection.  It doesn't matter if the sata connector is on the riser or in an adaptor cable.  Same problem.  Solution: Do not use the ver 7S risers.  

Recommended: ver 006C (6 pin) or ver 006 (molex)

Of course lots of people use the sata type 7S and lots use a sata to molex/6 pin adaptor.  But the fact is that the connector is only rated for 4.5 amps vs 11 amps for the molex for example.  It will still work and most likely it won't get hot and catch fire.  But nonetheless it is much more likely to than the others.

https://www.amazon.ca/Deep-Mines-6-Pin-Powered-Express/dp/B06XCCRFD6

http://www.dhgate.com/product/pcie-pci-e-pci-express-riser-card-1x-to-16x/399679205.html#s1-0-1;disc

Throw away the included sata adaptor.

Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 08:23:22 AM

It's really quite straightforward:

I'm not sure what the 6 pin is rated at but I think it's more than the Molex.

Therefore if you have any sata connectors in the cable to your riser, then there is a risk of overloading the connection.  It doesn't matter if the sata connector is on the riser or in an adaptor cable.  Same problem.  Solution: Do not use the ver 7S risers. 

Recommended: ver 006C (6 pin) or ver 006 (molex)

Of course lots of people use the sata type 7S and lots use a sata to molex/6 pin adaptor.  But the fact is that the connector is only rated for 4.5 amps vs 11 amps for the molex for example.  It will still work and most likely it won't get hot and catch fire.  But nonetheless it is much more likely to than the others.

The 6 pin has 75W and 8 pin has 150W, but there are no risers with 8 pins. PCI-E slot has 75W so it's enough.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 12:15:27 PM

Yo are wrong on both accounts.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#sata
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sata powered risers, as long as one does not connect more than two risers to single sata cable.

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
ben8jam

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 12:29:44 PM

Ok, so I have both 006 molex and 006 6 pin risers. However, if I don't use the SATA adapters, the only cable I have available is a 6-pin (perif) to 4x molex string. And I can only use 2 of those 4 molex for safety, how can I connect the other risers? I have two EVGA 750W G2's. They each have 1 perif and 4 Sata plugs on the back.

So I'm assuming I need a 6-pin sata (that plugs into the PSU) to 6-pin that plugs in the riser, but this is the issue, where on earth are those cables sold. OR I need a 6-pin sata (that plugs into the PSU) to molex, and again, can not find cables for that.

Unless I'm just totally blind.
whitrzac

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:15:41 PM

No, you need to buy a proper power supply so you dont burn your house down.
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 01:37:28 PM

Ok, so I have both 006 molex and 006 6 pin risers. However, if I don't use the SATA adapters, the only cable I have available is a 6-pin (perif) to 4x molex string. And I can only use 2 of those 4 molex for safety, how can I connect the other risers? I have two EVGA 750W G2's. They each have 1 perif and 4 Sata plugs on the back.

So I'm assuming I need a 6-pin sata (that plugs into the PSU) to 6-pin that plugs in the riser, but this is the issue, where on earth are those cables sold. OR I need a 6-pin sata (that plugs into the PSU) to molex, and again, can not find cables for that.

Use 8 or 6 pin splitter, those cables are made to be full powered.
As I wrote 8 pin can handle 150W so you can use 1x 8pin to 1x 6 pin on riser (75W) and 1x 6pin on card (75W), There should be no problem with 8 pin card either...
I wouldn't go for the Sata and definitly not for those SATA adapters! They are very low cost and bad quality.
I tried 3 risers on 1 molex rail and it was no problem at all, Corsair HX1200 has quality cables they were only around 30° (IR thermometer).

Maxximus007

Activity: 153

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:49:05 PM

Use 8 or 6 pin splitter, those cables are made to be full powered.
As I wrote 8 pin can handle 150W so you can use 1x 8pin to 1x 6 pin on riser (75W) and 1x 6pin on card (75W), There should be no problem with 8 pin card either...
I wouldn't go for the Sata and definitly not for those SATA adapters! They are very low cost and bad quality.
I tried 3 risers on 1 molex rail and it was no problem at all, Corsair HX1200 has quality cables they were only around 30° (IR thermometer).
3 risers on SATA works fine as well (Corsair). 4 doesn't work, will give issues with cards.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: