Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:40:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Drop of hashrate for Polaris cards incoming  (Read 13872 times)
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 12:23:35 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2017, 01:23:03 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

... it seems you all don´t get it:

You can´t escape the difficulty bomb !

Do your own research or cry later !

Cool

well it's not like ETH si the only coin that you can mine out there, plenty of choice are awaiting you, just mine somethign else, oh wait amd can not, because they are stuck with ETH, will be funny to see the huge hashrate desperately switch to another alt when ETH go pos

Actually, I went back and checked my posts from last year; I said the slowdown in rewards (slowing average block times) would start in April 2017 and it did start in April 2017.

14seconds to 14.3seconds average block time before April 8th.

Afterwards, slowed to around 14.8 seconds.

27th April slowed to around 15.2 seconds.

13th May slowed to around 15.85 seconds.

29 May slowed to over 16 seconds.

21 June slowed to over 17 seconds.

So far - there has been around 21.8% reduction of Ethereum rewards for POW.

Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:22:58 PM

Cool

well it's not like ETH si the only coin that you can mine out there, plenty of choice are awaiting you, just mine somethign else, oh wait amd can not, because they are stuck with ETH, will be funny to see the huge hashrate desperately switch to another alt when ETH go pos

Actually, I went back and checked my posts from last year; I said the slowdown in rewards (slowing average block times) would start in April 2017 and it did start in April 2017.

So far - there has around 21.8% reduction of Ethereum rewards for POW.

In july block times will increase to 30 seconds so it will be pretty bad then.

That could cripple the network considering the congestion currently is getting bad.

Which could mean panic sells and price dump among the fear.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:43:26 PM

Cool

That could cripple the network considering the congestion currently is getting bad.

The price of Ethereum is high because mining rewards are being reduced. So, I'm sure the Ethereum price will do just fine - because people have been snapping up Ethereum because they know it will be rarer tomorrow, than today!

Congestion is being artificially created by the structure of Initial Coin Offerings - they do time limited offerings, which encourage people to try to watch the blockchain and then throw in their Eth at the last minute when they think it has been underfunded and they will get more of the new tokens for each Eth.

However, it is better to have all of this ICOs business in the long-run - a little short-term inconvenience always comes along with a rapidly growing ecosystem.
indopool

Activity: 403
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:51:36 PM

R9 280 can make mining Huh
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 05:36:22 PM

What exactly is MooWrapper? Milkway?

Some type of Folding experiments?

BOINC projects.

Moo Wrapper enables BOINC participation in the distributed.net RC5-72 project (which I've been active in for almost 20 years now).

Milkyway is mapping our galaxy, and is very reliant on DP FLOPS (which is where the Tahiti chips shine, somewhat less so Hawaii though they're sorta-close, and nothing current outside of workstation-specific cards and NOT ALL OF THOSE).

The longer block times for ETH are going to hammer profitability some, unless ETH resumes it's price rise enough to compensate - THAT might be where the ETH mining crash ends up comming from, I'd forgotten about that part of Ice Age happening.

The price of Ethereum has NOTHING to do with miners though - miners REACT to the effect of price on profitability they don't CAUSE the price to change.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2017, 07:55:53 PM

Why not?

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 08:52:45 PM

It's not the end of the world - and it's hardly a bomb. We'll see how Vega deals with it.
...and we'll see how AMD deals with it.
Legitreviews tested nvidia gpus vs polaris gpus at higher epochs and saw that nvidia gpus weren't affected almost at all. This suggests that AMD might be able to fix the issue in the driver.

If they do, we should all be happy chaps for a little longer.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 09:12:29 PM

Cool

The price of Ethereum is high because mining rewards are being reduced. So, I'm sure the Ethereum price will do just fine - because people have been snapping up Ethereum because they know it will be rarer tomorrow, than today!

Congestion is being artificially created by the structure of Initial Coin Offerings - they do time limited offerings, which encourage people to try to watch the blockchain and then throw in their Eth at the last minute when they think it has been underfunded and they will get more of the new tokens for each Eth.

However, it is better to have all of this ICOs business in the long-run - a little short-term inconvenience always comes along with a rapidly growing ecosystem.

No the price of ETH was much higher $400 while mining rewards were higher and now less rewards yet price has slide down nearly $80

Look at this chart and tell me if you think 30 sec or 1 min  block times won't cause problems https://etherchain.org/charts/capacity
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 09:31:50 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2017, 10:47:48 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

Cool

No the price of ETH was much higher $400 while mining rewards were higher and now less rewards yet price has slide down nearly $80

Look at this chart and tell me if you think 30 sec or 1 min  block times won't cause problems https://etherchain.org/charts/capacity

Price adjustment started around the beginning of March - one month before the reductions in Ethereum mining rewards. Reductions in Ethereum reward was scheduled to begin at the beginning of April.

And, it has continued to rise as reductions in Ethereum POW mining rewards has been realised.

This, is quite normal, for cryptos with reductions in their POW mining rewards.  
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 10:08:58 PM

It can do without any problem. The best coin it can mine is the Zcash but the problem with that card is that it consumes a lot of energy so it is not that profitable compared with the RX 4xx and 5xx series, there is a big difference between the two. If you have it in your PC you can start mining if you like to test the waters.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
sstercan

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 12:18:19 AM

what about gtx 1060? anyone test it and share results?
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 01:49:38 AM

what about gtx 1060? anyone test it and share results?

They work well... with "full size" GTX1060 (dual fan) I'm seeing 4 of them equal to about three 1070s all at stock speeds.

The "mini" single fan ones are a bit behind that rate... the MSI Mini ones are the better of what I've tried, the EVGA Mini runs 10 degrees C hotter... luckily only got two of the EVGA.

I can't say that I've sat down & heavily tuned them... just drop power down in Afterburner and they are quite efficient.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 06:45:42 AM

I do believe this is not the right thread to start asking which card works for mining.

Going back to the topic, would it be safe to say that new miners still have until December 2017 to reach ROI before the difficulty bomb freezes everything?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:59:22 AM

The difficulty bomb will go away in August with the Metropolis release. However there are talks of reduced blocks rewards instead.
Wetlint

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 09:59:45 AM

Use that card for ZEC.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 01:18:23 AM

Cool

This has nothing to do with the diff bomb. This has to do with the hardware architecture of the cards. The reason it started now is because DAG size is over 2GB. In a simplified manner, you could see it as part of DAG now physically ending up on a different IC. This causes the memory controller to switch the IC it reads from more often. The larger the DAG, the bigger the part of the DAG that ends up on a different IC, the more switching it has to do.     

Polairs (and Tonga) both have 4 channels, with 2 GDDR5 chips per channel, making a total of 8 chips.  Each chip does 32-byte burst xfers, so 2 chips provide a single 64-byte cache line.  The memory layout switches channels every 256 bytes (4 cache lines).
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/opencl-optimization-guide/#50401334_pgfId-472173

AMD docs say the cards use a direct-mapped cache, which means TLB thrashing can't be the problem since there is no TLB.  It sounds a lot like the Pitcairn performance issues as the memory working set grows beyond 1GB (except the issue starts at 2GB with GCN3 devices).  I haven't had much time for coding over the past few months, but hopefully I'll have some time over the summer to figure out what's really going on here.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 03:19:45 AM

Cool

This has nothing to do with the diff bomb. This has to do with the hardware architecture of the cards. The reason it started now is because DAG size is over 2GB. In a simplified manner, you could see it as part of DAG now physically ending up on a different IC. This causes the memory controller to switch the IC it reads from more often. The larger the DAG, the bigger the part of the DAG that ends up on a different IC, the more switching it has to do.     

Polairs (and Tonga) both have 4 channels, with 2 GDDR5 chips per channel, making a total of 8 chips.  Each chip does 32-byte burst xfers, so 2 chips provide a single 64-byte cache line.  The memory layout switches channels every 256 bytes (4 cache lines).
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/opencl-optimization-guide/#50401334_pgfId-472173

AMD docs say the cards use a direct-mapped cache, which means TLB thrashing can't be the problem since there is no TLB.  It sounds a lot like the Pitcairn performance issues as the memory working set grows beyond 1GB (except the issue starts at 2GB with GCN3 devices).  I haven't had much time for coding over the past few months, but hopefully I'll have some time over the summer to figure out what's really going on here.

Could this have anything to do with the memory straps? Maybe with stock straps it doesn't slow down with every new DAG
rednoW
Legendary

Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:04:58 AM

Could this have anything to do with the memory straps? Maybe with stock straps it doesn't slow down with every new DAG

LOL )) funny but I see such sentences not for a first time.
No, std straps won't help you. )))
Moreover, even Hawaii - now top performer - will go to 17mhs on epoch 333 ))
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:28:13 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2017, 05:40:29 AM by toptek

Drop of hashrate for Polaris cards incoming

when that happens mine other coins and adjust ...  i don't mine ETH much now any way .... I'll buy it from time to time and trade. an  i hate trading  . and would rather mine what i make ...so pretty much i buy eth if I want any , so it won't brother me ..

ETC might pick up more ...

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 09:36:30 PM

Polairs (and Tonga) both have 4 channels, with 2 GDDR5 chips per channel, making a total of 8 chips.  Each chip does 32-byte burst xfers, so 2 chips provide a single 64-byte cache line.  The memory layout switches channels every 256 bytes (4 cache lines).

AMD docs say the cards use a direct-mapped cache, which means TLB thrashing can't be the problem since there is no TLB.  It sounds a lot like the Pitcairn performance issues as the memory working set grows beyond 1GB (except the issue starts at 2GB with GCN3 devices).  I haven't had much time for coding over the past few months, but hopefully I'll have some time over the summer to figure out what's really going on here.

No, not possible.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: