Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:02:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I buy bitcoins before or after August 1st?  (Read 5310 times)
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:09:20 PM

On August 1st, they will implement the Segwit and there are some uncertainties involved.  If I were wanting to invest, should I do it before or after the date? 

My concern is that the price would still be higher than the price on August 2nd if the implementation did not go as smooth as planned and caused the price to drop.

Also, what is the official words on the implementation? 

- To be or not to be, that is the question. -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:22:29 PM

The ball is in your court bruv! I would say you should go ahead and just invest, life is all about risk and moreover the likelihood of a hard fork is dieing down and no one knows what happens after the upgrade but what I know is even if not now, the value of bitcoin will still go up and the best way to be safe is just invest now. Bitcoin's volatility makes it unpredictable to know what may happen. My opinion though, but like I said, stay with what your heart tells you.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 02:23:50 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2017, 02:41:17 PM by HabBear

Hi Bitcoin Guy, someone started a thread asking the same question yesterday, you'll find it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1981996.msg19736252#msg19736252

As for words on official implementation, you'll find the most current answer...every day...by searching "Bitcoin SegWit" on this Forum or on Google. What I mean is there's only been signaling of intent, no word of official "it's going to happen."...yet.

Personally, the concern about buy now or later isn't related to the price. It's related to whether the fallout from SegWit ultimately creates a hard fork that results in two versions of Bitcoin coin, one of which miners will adopt and will continue to have value and the other miners won't adopt and it will fall into obscurity. You don't want to be on the wrong side of that result.

If you have your bitcoin in an online wallet you can't guarantee that you won't be on the wrong side of it.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:30:38 PM

i say right now everything depends on the core developers. what they do or say can change the course of bitcoin a lot.

• if they get behind SegWit2x then you shouldn't have any worry at all. price will rise to the moon. make sure to buy as soon as you heard the news.
  • if they go against it then chain will probably experience a split and i am sure that in case of a split price will take a big hit.
  • if they come to a middle ground and fix things so everyone is half happy, then again that can prevent a chain split and price will rise fast and big.

nobody is going to run miners code without core supporting it.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:33:56 PM

On August 1st, they will implement the Segwit and there are some uncertainties involved.  If I were wanting to invest, should I do it before or after the date? 

My concern is that the price would still be higher than the price on August 2nd if the implementation did not go as smooth as planned and caused the price to drop.

Well if you have some money to invest, and you do not mind losing it, i would suggest for you to invest. Yes that could be a good idea, or it could be bad. But if i had money, i would definitely invest it. Because what ever happen, i do not think price will go down, and even if that happen, it will go up in no time. The higher the risk is, higher the gain is too.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:35:54 PM

It really depends just on what you want to do, there's nothing that really guarantees how well the fork will go and, while it will likely go smoothly due to the amount of testing they'll be doing (and probably are doing right now) prior to the actual implementation of it. But you're right, things can go wrong or people might sell due to uncertainty. If anything, I would wait for the presumed dip soon before it happens and then buy. But it's your money and I'm not going to tell you what to do.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:38:10 PM

I expect that until the first of August panic will do its job and the price will drop coins as possible. This will allow me to buy more coins and after the second of August very good money when the price starts to go up. But that's just my opinion, I'm no expert.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 02:57:13 PM

I expect that until the first of August panic will do its job and the price will drop coins as possible. This will allow me to buy more coins and after the second of August very good money when the price starts to go up. But that's just my opinion, I'm no expert.
You are not expert but what you said it's maybe right because most of the people are saying the same thing. And I also have hope on your words it may happen. If it happens then actually, it is good money for those who hold bitcoins in their wallet. I think before August 1st the price still goes down and yes this is the good time to buy some coins.
johnwest

Activity: 1106
Merit: 503

BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 03:10:45 PM

You are not expert but what you said it's maybe right because most of the people are saying the same thing. And I also have hope on your words it may happen. If it happens then actually, it is good money for those who hold bitcoins in their wallet. I think before August 1st the price still goes down and yes this is the good time to buy some coins.

Lots of people are supporting Segwit so the price will go up towards the end of July for sure. The voting ended at 80%-20%, so I think core developers and miners are in favor of the segwit and the outcomes. The price may drop after Aug 1st because of some confusion but it will not affect highly.

.USD Stablecoin Aggregator.                                              ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀█
                                            ▄▀      ▄
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █        █
          ▄▄▀▀▀             ▀▀▄▄    ▀▀▄   ▄▀       █
  ▄     ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▄      ▀▀▄▄   █  █       ▄
▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █ ▄▄ █         ▀ ▄        ▀▀▄█▀▀        █
█ █▄ ▀ ▄█ ▀▄▄▄▄▀   █  ▄    ▀▄        ▄          ▄▄
█ ██               █  █     █   ▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▄          █
█ ▀ ▄▄            █   █   ██▀▀▀     ▄ █▀▀▄       █
 ▀▀   ▀▄       ▄▄▀  ▄█▄▄▀▀  ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀ █    █      ▀
         ▀█▄▄▄▄▀ ▄▄▄▀         ▄▀▀▀  ▄▀      ▀▄     █
               ▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▀          █    ▀
                                               ▀▀█▄▄▄█
.BabelFish.█▀▀▀▀▀▀
█      ▀
 █        █      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  █       ▀▄   ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀             ▀▀▀▄▄
  ▀▄       █  █   ▄▄▀▀      ▄▀         ▄▄▄▄ ▀▄     ▄
   █        ▀▀█▀▀        ▄ ▀         █ ▄▄ █  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀
   ▀▄▄          ▄        ▄▀    ▄  █   ▀▄▄▄▄▀ █▄ ▀ ▄█ █
   █          ▄▀ ▀▀▀▄▄   █     █  █               ██ █
   █       ▄▀▀█ ▄     ▀▀▀██   █   █            ▄▀▄ ▀ █
  ▄█      █    █ ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀  ▀▀▄▄█▄  ▀▄▄       ▄▀   ▀
  █     ▄▀      ▀▄  ▀▀▀▄         ▀▄▄▄ ▀▄▄▄▄█▀
 ▄▀    █          ▀▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
█▄▄▄█▀▀
.FISH token sale at Sovryn.████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Insanerman

Activity: 1162
Merit: 450

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 03:18:38 PM

In my opinion I think its better to be in a wait-and-see situation. Just read an update always on the issues involved so that it can narrow your option in investing in bitcoin. As of now, there are no official statements? or I maybe wrong and it is important that you are well informed.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 03:23:59 PM

sell the news and things will happen according to your intentions as we knew that weak holders will be shaken and whales will make their dip moves to accumulate more btc as mention by some other experts its better to be wiser than being sorry if you are not sure better to wait after aug 1 and play the game if price drop then buy more if price moves up then do some fomo and hold do your research while you still have a month of time to decide.
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:08:45 PM

After seagwit will be yet another soft fork than hard fork.Could be  lot of chaos,many news and big price speculation,for now bitcoin cant move over 2800$.There is silence before storm.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:10:57 PM

just invest as much as you can afford to lose, bitcoin still has a lot of potential irregardless of all the drama that you can see in the community. and that means a higher price in the future.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:13:39 PM

Change brings chaos and chaos is an presents an opportunity to profit. I think if ever there would be any soft fork happening on august 1 then it would result to that chaos. Prices will likely go down but there is chance it could do the opposite and sore higher than before. Both are opportunities which you should evaluate yourself where you should put your money in.
Catmony

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:16:45 PM

If you are not looking for short term trading, than I think you should just invest bitcoin whenever you have some fiat. But if you are worried about few $ drop than you can wait till there will be hard fork and if you get lucky you might get few cheap bitcoins sold by weak hands.
Devboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:20:05 PM

just invest as much as you can afford to lose, bitcoin still has a lot of potential irregardless of all the drama that you can see in the community. and that means a higher price in the future.
Absolutely right. No doubt Bitcoin has good potential, but you might know that every investment is risky. So, to say that following the simple investment rule: Never make an Investment if you couldn't afford a total loss. To now wait for the right time.
kandholabhavna

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:22:17 PM

So many experienced traders and investors that have been into bitcoin for 3-5 years are hedging towards FIAT. I would not recommend anyone to get into bitgcoin at this stage. This said, if you are looking to invest for a long term, I think it should play out well for you.

Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:24:59 PM

If you have Bitcoin before the split, you'll have Bitcoin on both chains and you'll eventually make more profit.
However, Bitcoin will get Segwit2x earlier than the UASF on August 1st.
dady12

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:43:37 PM

I will advice you to invest now if you really have some cash that you won't regret if invested :no one knows the what the future hold for bitcoi  after segwit is activated in August 1st,there can be split if things did not go well and if there is split there is no one to predict what the price will be,so it is depends on you but I will continue to buy and store even until August 1st
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:57:28 PM

Hi Bitcoin Guy, someone started a thread asking the same question yesterday, you'll find it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1981996.msg19736252#msg19736252

As for words on official implementation, you'll find the most current answer...every day...by searching "Bitcoin SegWit" on this Forum or on Google. What I mean is there's only been signaling of intent, no word of official "it's going to happen."...yet.

Personally, the concern about buy now or later isn't related to the price. It's related to whether the fallout from SegWit ultimately creates a hard fork that results in two versions of Bitcoin coin, one of which miners will adopt and will continue to have value and the other miners won't adopt and it will fall into obscurity. You don't want to be on the wrong side of that result.

If you have your bitcoin in an online wallet you can't guarantee that you won't be on the wrong side of it.

Thank you for the info.  The title of the thread is almost identical! 

My exchange said that they support Bitcoin Core if the split does happen.

- To be or not to be, that is the question. -
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: