Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:33:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else think "long term" hodlers are idiots?  (Read 27225 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2017, 03:22:10 PM

The monetary supply of a currency in my opinion is one of the most important ways of determining whether or not it is worth it to hold it for the long term or not

This is only one part of the equation

Scarcity is not a guarantee of future value (or just any value at all), it is one of the required properties but certainly not the most important one. Utility is, i.e. usefulness for attaining specific ends which are pursued by enough people (e.g. earning profits). There was a coin simply dubbed 42Coin, and its creators naively (or not so naively) assumed that it should cost 1 million dollars apiece simply because only 42 coins should have been mined. Needless to say that it quickly got trashed as all such utterly useless coins eventually get

Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 04:59:19 PM

Anyone else think "long term" hodlers are idiots?

No.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 01:43:13 AM

I know some people that keep all of their long term investments in fiat currencies that have the built in feature of losing value over time.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
hurain

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:56:36 PM

For me they don't look like an idiot at all if they are selling at huge price changes such as this and rebuying it when a huge dump occur like what happened in 2013. If they would not sell some, their profits would just be an imaginary one because they don't obtain the returns of their investments yet so its better for them to just trade it when crazy price movements occur.
i think the long term investment is the best investment, they are in fact the wisest people who invest their money for long term, in fact there is very little risk in long term investment while short term investment is really risky.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:57:21 PM

For me they don't look like an idiot at all if they are selling at huge price changes such as this and rebuying it when a huge dump occur like what happened in 2013. If they would not sell some, their profits would just be an imaginary one because they don't obtain the returns of their investments yet so its better for them to just trade it when crazy price movements occur.
Asking this question to the person who has help to his bitcoins since 2009 or 2010 can give you surprising answers. People in the pas bought the bitcoins at the rate of $1 per coin, now the person who bought only 200 bitcoins has over $400,000 right now, that’s why bitcoin is getting more famous day by day. It is being accepted and adapted by hundreds of thousands of people daily, because it’s efficient, secure, profitable and much more. So of you don’t have a need to spend your bitcoins than you should not.
RealPhotoshoper
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:06:40 PM

i think the long term investment is the best investment, they are in fact the wisest people who invest their money for long term, in fact there is very little risk in long term investment while short term investment is really risky.
there will always a risk when it comes to make money , especially in cryptocurrency world.
where everything go up and down so quickly and hard to predict.
i just make a guessing that those people who have no time enough to follow the market charts is the one who hold for long term investment instead as an idiot or whatever it is.
marcuslong
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:19:00 PM

Mot all them are idiot there are reasons behind mostly people are holding there coin because they using it for them to bank their money and it is like they earning money by stocking or holding their coins but others using it for some business and they just like gonna hold em all for the future they wanna millionaire or what the fact is they earning while waiting for the lrice to increase but also they can earn again from trading or by investing their bitcoins.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 03:54:16 AM

Mot all them are idiot there are reasons behind mostly people are holding there coin because they using it for them to bank their money and it is like they earning money by stocking or holding their coins but others using it for some business and they just like gonna hold em all for the future they wanna millionaire or what the fact is they earning while waiting for the lrice to increase but also they can earn again from trading or by investing their bitcoins.

Many long term holders see bitcoin as their only way to store their wealth without government intervention and influence. Gold can be confiscated, fiat currencies are too weak and can collapse at any given moment. Bitcoin is a pretty good alternative for anyone interested to store their wealth in.

So calling every single long term holder out there idiots is just BS. In fact, long term holding of bitcoin has proven to be one of the most profitable activities of the past decade or so. If you held bitcoin from 2010 to 2017 then you would have outpaced bank interest by a whole lot.

But it doesn't mean that by buying bitcoin when it is obviously in a bubble and holding it in the long term is a good thing to do, it's still going to profitable probably but not the best thing you could have done.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 04:17:01 AM

I don't know many successful CryptoCurrency traders... Most, even the smart ones don't know when to quit while they're ahead and go on to lose it all...

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are successful hodlers, bought btc at whatever price and stored it securely  over years etc

It just grows and grows and grows....

I put some change money on a few shitcoins with good fundamentals  like xmr, ltc and etc and they're all worth hundreds of % more than I paid years ago...

It DOES pay to hodl, don't listen to the bullshit
GoodLuck2

Activity: 630
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:42:25 PM

Yeah the wisest people are invest their money for long term and long term investors are always the wisest people because they are more expert in investment. Suppose if they are idiots then they invest their money for short term.And more, long term investors are always successful for their own projects.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

This all goes back to can you afford the loss of what you invested.

Not a matter of long term are holders or not.

The basics of can you keep up with re-buying back in if there is a potential price growth you miss out on and how fast.

Since most cant do both of these its better to look at other areas right now to profit and set a realistic price mark for yourself.
shashko

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 12:06:56 AM

I dont thing long term holders are idiots by the fact they hope their saves are going on a high prise due to the years and some of them got what they hoped for

logicgate

Activity: 994
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:13:26 AM

I dont thing long term holders are idiots by the fact they hope their saves are going on a high prise due to the years and some of them got what they hoped for
Yes you are right that long-term investors are not idiots because they invest their money for the purpose of save in it,and also invest for the purpose of profit. Moreover, the long term investors when invest their money in those business or crypto currency first they seen the market cap and then they invest their money and then they will gain more profit.
machinek20

Activity: 840
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:20:25 AM

By holding short term and trading it, it will faster to gained profit, so you can get rich faster, but long time holder is also not bad, some of the early adapter gained so many profit by holding long term, and long term investment is suitable for someone that don't really understand trading
btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:28:49 AM

Anyone else think OP is a fucking idiot?  Grin
Chumlee

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 01:38:31 PM

I don't think so they are idiots. They just want to be on the safer side and doesn't want to lose money. Very few people take risks on their investments, some make money and some disappear. So, as Bitcoin is in huge demand they want to hold for Long.

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2017, 02:29:12 PM

I don't think so they are idiots. They just want to be on the safer side and doesn't want to lose money. Very few people take risks on their investments, some make money and some disappear. So, as Bitcoin is in huge demand they want to hold for Long.

Long term investment must be limited to assets with extremely low risk, such as large-cap equities, bullion (gold, silver, platinum.etc) and treasury bonds. For a high risk asset such as Bitcoin, I would rather suggest short-term to medium-term investment. Please note that long-term investment in my opinion is any investment over 10 years in duration.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 02:43:42 PM

Anyone else think OP is a fucking idiot?  Grin

No. Long term holders that have seen their stash gain any sort of insane value throughout the years are the idiots here. They have put themselves in the position where they don't know what to do with their money anymore. It has piled up to such a level, that it isn't even funny anymore. The worst part is that it will only increase more in value in the forthcoming years. Life is hard. Undecided
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:44:25 PM

I think bitcoin is the best place to make long-term investments. If you are a business, profit is always important, and to achieve that you need to be patient.
ashler

Activity: 51
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:48:30 PM

try asking that question to someone who long term held from 2011/12 until now. they would laugh in your face and then probably spit in it too.

People who learned long time ago about bitcoin did the right thing with holding it, but we can't compare Bitcoin 2011/2012 against Bitcoin now, when everyone knows about it and the price is thousand times higher! I suppose those early adopters already cashed their coins this year, and made nice profits. But people who JUST entered the market and are planning to "hold" are too late to the party.

Some good reading:

https://www.clivemaund.com/article.php?id=4444

Let’s not be churlish about this, however, it is important to give credit where it is due. Those who got in early on this Bitcoin mania are true geniuses who have every reason to feel proud of themselves, having made themselves a fortune from even relatively modest stakes. The problem for many such investors though is that they don’t know when to call it a day and jump ship – many overstay their welcome and end up losing most of their gains. If you, dear reader, are one of these fortunate individuals you should get the hell out with the minimum of delay and consider yourself lucky. Sure you might miss some more gains short-term, but when this thing goes down it will be a lot faster than the Hindenburg and leave behind a massive impact crater, as unbridled greed changes in a flash into visceral fear and blind panic and all the recent lemmings disappear straight over the cliff edge – it will go into freefall and bids will evaporate.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: