Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:34:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should be done with the wall observer thread? (Your vote may be published.)  (Voting closed: July 03, 2017, 12:48:09 AM)
Transfer ownership of the current thread to someone active, and trust them to enforce on-topicness. - 85 (34.4%)
Move the current thread to Off-topic and exempt it from all on-topicness rules. - 41 (16.6%)
Move the current thread to a new Chat section which will be mostly ignored by bitcointalk.org mods, but will have its own set of mods pulled from the Wall Observer regulars in order to enforce some amount of order. - 60 (24.3%)
Just use the replacement thread that someone already created in Speculation, trusting them to maintain on-topicness. - 26 (10.5%)
Unlock the current thread where it is, and then mercilessly ban anyone who goes off-topic. - 35 (14.2%)
Total Voters: 155

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with the wall observer thread?  (Read 10964 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 05:30:22 PM

Based on what Theymos is saying, it seems most practical to attempt to finish nominations within a few days or a week at most, and thereafter create a thread to conduct a vote - maybe a 3-4 days voting period.  Someone who is not running could probably run the vote.
Has someone started keeping a list of potential candidates? Can people nominate themselves or do you have to necessarily nominate someone else or both? Who gets to vote? Why?

In other words: Easier said than done.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7992

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:37:00 PM

Appreciate all the work you're putting into reopening the WO thread, Theymos.  Glad you didn't take the easiest route and decide to leave it locked.

So, bumping it up, it looks like we have the following names for potential moderator:

lightfoot - "I would go with a largely hands-off option, no directly blasting other people, no posting marketing crap, simple stuff"

yefi - "I'll throw my hat into the ring if there's a shortage though"

arklan - "if mods are needed, i have the time to do it"

kurious - "'Happy to help any team on a part time basis if it will keep the WO going in a fashion as close to its original anarchic form as possible'"

Erkallys - "I candidate if this is needed. At least I have no hatred toward me as well as any fanboy." - "I would not be too strict on moderation, and I am available all day long."

BlindMayorBitcorn - [No stated "style of moderation" AFAIK. Please update]

infofront - "I'm not a prolific poster, or well known personality, but I'd volunteer to help moderate. I started the "unmoderated" wall observer thread because I believe in the laissez-faire nature of Adam's thread. "

Lauda - "I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again." <-- from another thread but related to this one. Proof below.

Perhaps now that someone else has taken the initiative to start another self-moderated wall observer thread, it can continue to live on in the speculation folder without causing undue distress and extra work for the moderators.
I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again.

This looks about right - 5% leaders, 95% followers.  Do we need to wait longer for volunteers to come forward or can we open a voting thread now?  Maybe we need a voting thread on how long to wait?
Who's gonna jump the shark?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10210

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:49:18 PM

Based on what Theymos is saying, it seems most practical to attempt to finish nominations within a few days or a week at most, and thereafter create a thread to conduct a vote - maybe a 3-4 days voting period.  Someone who is not running could probably run the vote.
Has someone started keeping a list of potential candidates? Can people nominate themselves or do you have to necessarily nominate someone else or both? Who gets to vote? Why?

In other words: Easier said than done.

A few guys have been posting potential candidates in this thread, who seem to be willing to run.  Some guys nominated themselves and some nominated others; however, of course it would seem to be a waste of energies if we were to include someone in the vote who has not confirmed that s/he is willing to run and carry out the duties and responsibilities.

There are some guys trying to structure this, such as Kurious, but I don't think that all of the questions have been answered yet in terms of who gets to vote.

Maybe there could be a requirement, that you have to have posted in the WO thread at least 5 times or something like that?  Or maybe that you have to be at least a member?  You are correct, Lauda, that some of that can be controversial, and in that regard, sometimes the election committee would not be the same ones who are running, or at least should not be.

I would not mind being on an election committee, and say that I am not running, but maybe the election committee would be three peeps, and then hopefully would just agree on rules in which others would run and then establish a thread owner for a year or something and then possibly revisit the matter a year later, if needed?  Or maybe the thread owner could become permanent and only subject to the removal of Theymos and/or global mods?

Anyone think that a three member election committee might work of folks who are not running?  Then we have to do a quickie vote on the election committee, possibly?  Then the election committee communicates the hopefully reasonable rules.. and maybe all of this is done in the open in another thread, at least the voting portion... the discussion could probably take place in this thread, no?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:04:59 PM

Well we did have a bunch of people who came forward - I assume Theymos will pop up a poll and add names if they are quick enough to say they want to be on the list.

Since all the other WO threads (including rpietila's) were asked if anyone wanted it, the list of those who do is not so large and no one can say they didn't know.

Bring it on, pronto I say.

My vote goes to anyone who will offer a light touch and possesses more of a sense of humour than of self-importance.

我想要火箭和火车
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:12:49 PM

Well we did have a bunch of people who came forward - I assume Theymos will pop up a poll and add names if they are quick enough to say they want to be on the list.

Since all the other WO threads (including rpietila's) were asked if anyone wanted it, the list of those who do is not so large and no one can say they didn't know.

Bring it on, pronto I say.

My vote goes to anyone who will offer a light touch and possesses more of a sense of humour than self-importance.

I propose we start with one framework. 

We set up an election committee with three or more persons who must be at least a full member and have at least 5 posts in the WO thread to be on the election committee and who are not running for the position, and then go from there. 

I don't mind being on such election committee because I am not interested in running for the position.  Anyone else who does not plan to run that would not mind being on the election committee?  or is there a better idea how to carry this whole thing out within the next couple of weeks?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:14:35 PM

I probably have the necessary erratic mental health condition , prone to erratic outbursts and have a proclivity for alcohol,  an obsession with BTC , and a completely bonkers life, I gots me a sense of humour- so I wouldn't be too heavy handed -  I don't give too much of a fuck - I can dedicate the time to it- as I am pretty immersed in Cryptocurrency already but also I don't care as long as its not he whose name we dare not mention "La......."

So I guess I will throw my hat in - happy to do it, not fussed either though.

Depends on if you want someone cranky or not tbh.

(Also I do kind of love this thread)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:15:36 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2017, 06:34:53 PM by BlindMayorBitcorn

I probably have the necessary erratic mental health condition , prone to erratic outbursts and have a proclivity for alcohol,  an obsession with BTC , and a completely bonkers life, I gots me a sense of humour- so I wouldn't be too heavy handed -  I don't give too much of a fuck - I can dedicate the time to it- as I am pretty immersed in Cryptocurrency already but also I don't care as long as its not he whose name we dare not mention "La......."

So I guess I will throw my hat in - happy to do it, not fussed either though.

Depends on if you want someone cranky or not tbh.

Boom. Done. There's my vote.

Edit: Please strike my name from the list. There are enough solid candidates now. Lightfoot and Yefi and Empowering are all excellent choices IMHO.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:49:29 PM

Latest version of potential mods

lightfoot - "I would go with a largely hands-off option, no directly blasting other people, no posting marketing crap, simple stuff"

kurious - "'Happy to help any team on a part time basis if it will keep the WO going in a fashion as close to its original anarchic form as possible'"

Erkallys - "I candidate if this is needed. At least I have no hatred toward me as well as any fanboy." - "I would not be too strict on moderation, and I am available all day long."

infofront - "I'm not a prolific poster, or well known personality, but I'd volunteer to help moderate. I started the "unmoderated" wall observer thread because I believe in the laissez-faire nature of Adam's thread. "

Lauda - "I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again." <-- from another thread but related to this one. edit: Proof in previous post.

empowering - "I probably have the necessary erratic mental health condition..." "...So I guess I will throw my hat in - happy to do it, not fussed either though."

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:44:32 PM

Some pretty good ideas on this thread. Amazing ones in fact. Question: Can we lock a thread to no newbies, no post count, no sig campaigns, multiple moderators, must post a spaceman picture every 30 days, etc?
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:49:02 PM

Lauda - "I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again." <-- from another thread but related to this one. edit: Proof in previous post.

empowering - "I probably have the necessary erratic mental health condition..." "...So I guess I will throw my hat in - happy to do it, not fussed either though."

You can take me out, too - I was hoping to be part of a team, I don't fancy the solo job.

I agree with BlindMayorBitcorn there is already a list with some great candidates, with Empowering added to it it looks like we have a few decent options.  

May the candidate with the least ego, the greatest love of dodgy memes, trains, rockets and alcohol as well as a devotion to the spirit of the WO thread win.

Can we have a vote please, Theymos?

我想要火箭和火车
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:54:14 PM

Some pretty good ideas on this thread. Amazing ones in fact. Question: Can we lock a thread to no newbies, no post count, no sig campaigns, multiple moderators, must post a spaceman picture every 30 days, etc?

It seems that if we could just get through the process of electing a thread owner, then hopefully we would chose a thread owner who would be sufficiently in line with the thread culture and be able to decide the extent to which any of those kinds of rules would be practical in order to meet the laissez-faire history of the thread and/or whether a committee might be helpful.

kurious
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:58:59 PM

It seems that if we could just get through the process of electing a thread owner, then hopefully we would chose a thread owner who would be sufficiently in line with the thread culture and be able to decide the extent to which any of those kinds of rules would be practical in order to meet the laissez-faire history of the thread and/or whether a committee might be helpful.

You mean someone who would be tolerant of verbose and overly long posts, JJG?

我想要火箭和火车
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:00:42 PM

You can take me out, too - I was hoping to be part of a team, I don't fancy the solo job.

I agree with BlindMayorBitcorn there is already a list with some great candidates, with Empowering added to it it looks like we have a few decent options.  

May the candidate with the least ego, the greatest love of dodgy memes, trains, rockets and alcohol as well as a devotion to the spirit of the WO thread win.

Can we have a vote please, Theymos?

I am all for going forward with the vote, but it seems that there were a few more names that had been on the possible candidates list at one time or another... so seems that at least we want to make sure that the list of candidates is complete -

In that regard, we may may want to take one or two days to solidify the list and then go forward with the vote - and maybe if Theymos or a Mod conducted the vote, like you suggested, then we would not have to suffer through any of the possible encumbrances of an election committee?

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:12:26 PM

You mean someone who would be tolerant of verbose and overly long posts, JJG?

Great idea.  Let's get caught upon style versus substance.

I would imagine that if a thread owner is concerned about style or get's caught up in concerns about personality, that could become distracting and/or problematic - but some of that would be within the discretion of the owner, I suppose.. but could stifle participation, too.

For example, one of the rules of the Meuh6879 WO thread, there is an issue about length of posts and citing of posts, which I think members, besides myself, consider to be problematic.  But other posters, consider that rule to be reasonable.. go figure..  members think differently and express themselves differently.

xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:39:40 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2017, 10:36:32 PM by xhomerx10

If option 1 or 3 occur, who are the candidates for new listed owner / mods? Someone please compile a list.

The updated list in no particular order:

Erkallys
- "I candidate if this is needed. At least I have no hatred toward me as well as any fanboy." - "I would not be too strict on moderation, and I am available all day long."

infofront- "I'm not a prolific poster, or well known personality, but I'd volunteer to help moderate. I started the "unmoderated" wall observer thread because I believe in the laissez-faire nature of Adam's thread."

Lauda - "I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again." <-- from another thread but related to this one.

edit: removed yefi (at yefi's request)
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:02:29 PM

I'm going to bow out and pledge my support for lightfoot, infofront, arklan, Erkallys and empowering.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:32:29 PM

I'm going to bow out and pledge my support for lightfoot, infofront, arklan, Erkallys and empowering.

Yefi, you are a gentleman.

Respect.

我想要火箭和火车
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:45:10 PM

If option 1 or 3 occur, who are the candidates for new listed owner / mods? Someone please compile a list.

The updated list in no particular order:

Erkallys
- "I candidate if this is needed. At least I have no hatred toward me as well as any fanboy." - "I would not be too strict on moderation, and I am available all day long."

infofront- "I'm not a prolific poster, or well known personality, but I'd volunteer to help moderate. I started the "unmoderated" wall observer thread because I believe in the laissez-faire nature of Adam's thread."

Lauda - "I could create one, and would if someone were to get something like ChartBuddy running again." <-- from another thread but related to this one.

edit: removed yefi (at yefi's request)

infofront has showed he can handle the task with mastery by what he's been doing in his HF thread.
I support a moderator who can analyze what's a offensive content and has no need to unleash the nervous finger on delete button.
infofront bro you have my support.

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:41:23 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2017, 02:58:47 AM by bitserve

We have now a pretty nice set of candidates for new owner of WO. And theymos has already said that as soon as one is elected/designed he will unlock the thread.

I don't see any reason to extend the resolution farther than this week. We could give until wednesday to see if there are any more candidates or withdrawals (though it would be better there isn't more of the latter or we risk drying out of candidates and having to start from scratch) then ask Theymos to run the poll from wednesday to sunday... and we will all be happy hodlers of classic WO again before next week Smiley

TL;DR: Let's get back WO asap.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:56:40 AM

We have now a pretty nice list of candidates for new owner of WO. And theymos has already said that as soon as one is elected/designed he will unlock the thread.

I don't see any reason to extend the resolution farther than this week. We could give until wednesday to see if there are any more candidates or withdrawals (though it would be better there isn't more or we risk drying out of candidates and having to start from scratch) then ask Theymos to run the poll from wednesday to sunday... and we will all be happy hodlers of classic WO again before next week Smiley

TL;DR: Let's get back WO asap.

That sounds like a good plan.. for timeline, etc, unless someone has some better proposal?

So cut off for new candidates or withdrawals of candidacy will be 12noon UT on Wednesday or you want to go until 12midnight UT?  I think noon is good enough.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: