Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:22:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin on Blueseed, the international waters startup ship  (Read 24312 times)
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:24:55 AM

My question centers more on expansion. Let's say I built a floating concrete-dome house and floated it up, would it be possible to moor it to the ship somehow, using the ship as a hub from which to expand from, in essence. We'd be renting your stable mooring in essence.

I recommend a careful study and discussion of how BlueSeed will comply with

Section 922.132 a.2

http://montereybay.noaa.gov/intro/mp/regs.html#prohibitions

in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary will be an interesting exercise in dealing with 14+ different oversight agencies.
International waters; 12 nautical miles out.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:47:48 AM

My question centers more on expansion. Let's say I built a floating concrete-dome house and floated it up, would it be possible to moor it to the ship somehow, using the ship as a hub from which to expand from, in essence. We'd be renting your stable mooring in essence.

+1     That's the real way to build a community:  use the ship as a core unit that supplies power and Internet, around which a stable constellation forms.  The owners of the core dictate "building codes" by virtue of requiring certain seaworthiness and navigation aspects for any core connections.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Anenome5

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:57:48 AM

We also take investments starting at $1k, in exchange for equity, via AngelList in partnership with SecondMarket. AngelList accepts only dollars though.
Wow, this I did not know. You have my money already, you just don't know it yet. Heck yeah I'll invest a grand in seasteading! I want to move out on one as soon as I can make it make financial sense. Even if I have to convert some bitcoin back into playmoney for you Wink

oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:12:28 AM

as long as you'd rather visit the many restaurants onboard (we'll cater to a variety of cuisines, reflecting the 60+ countries where entrepreneurs will come from)

Hi Dan,

I exchanged emails with Max back in January about opening a 100% Certified Organic cafe onboard.  Nothing could make me happier than to accept Bitcoin as the official currency in the cafe.  Have you investigated ATMs or smart cards or other user friendly vehicles yet?

Thanks,
Oaxaca
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 04:58:31 AM

What would be the source of energy to keep the ship moving? Diesel transported to the ship by ferry? Solar or other electric motors?

The description makes it sound as if this will mostly be computer labs for software development and engineering with computer simulations. Will you have science research labs that would allow researchers to build and develop technology onboard? Two things instantly came to mind: sea-based energy generation, such as through waves or wind, and sewage and waste water recycling for farming. It would be much more ecologically sound to have a large barge somewhere near by where food can be grown experimentally, and fertilized by the people eating that food.

Would you consider adding research or other modular barges to the area? It would be nice to have a floating runway. Helicopters are nice, but they're ridiculously expensive and complicated compared to a prop plane, and as mention in last paragraph, extra space to work and research on would be nice.

I know the boat will be privately owned, but will you allow businesses to set up and sell their own services, such as afformentioned energy and food, or internet access, or other things that may not be considered savory in some countries? Or will all business have to go through your approval and require to pay you a cut?

Will you follow any regulations such as FCC radio band reservations, or will it basically be a free-for-all with conflicts resolved privately?

Will you be capable of providing a safe haven in case of a zombie outbreak on the mainland, including a well trained medical team to inspect arriving refugees for signs of infection, and a well armed security force to suppress any issues should an infection threat come on board?
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:02:12 AM

I'm very pleased to see your involvement with Bitcoin. Bitcoin and Seasteading are two things that fascinate me.

Since this seems an AMA, I'll shoot my questions too.
I've noticed you do intend to provide a considerable level of economic freedom on board, by not collecting taxes, by choosing contractual arbitration as preferred resolution dispute etc. That's awesome. I hope to soon see Blueseed on the top of indexes like those of the Fraser Institute or the Heritage Foundation.

But what about the more "social aspects" of freedom? Some of them tend to be a taboo in US (and many other places), where things as banal as drinking alcohol outside might be illegal. I hope you're not willing to mimic these authoritarian behaviors. So...

• Will gambling be allowed?
  • Will recreational use of marijuana be allowed? Now that some US states have allowed it, you'd start worse than them if you don't.
  • Will prostitution be allowed? Banning the "oldest profession on Earth" is so stupid I don't even have words for it. And since you're focusing on IT startups, you'll likely not have a balanced men/women ration. I would advice at least a tolerance-policy towards prostitution.
  • Will individuals be allowed to carry guns on board? Will there be a place to practice shooting? If you allow the inhabitants to be the "preventive police" of the place, you may save a lot on security.

I also have a question of more practical nature: will there be a nursery/hospital on board? Will health insurance be possible? Do you have an estimate of costs?

And finally, I'm intrigued by these restrictions being mentioned on this thread, related to the fact that the chosen place is a "protected sanctuary" of some kind to some environmentalist religions. Isn't the place outside of US territorial waters? How can US enforce the protection of a sanctuary outside of its jurisdiction? Or does it just ignore international conventions on territorial waters?

Thanks, and congratulations for your work. I really hope you succeed.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 02:15:51 PM

One of the conveniences the website says Blueseed will offer is a "post office." Will that be a US post office? How will that work?

Probably UPS and a lot of other private package shipping systems.  Alternatively, simply a service to ferry your US mail to the USPS on shore.

I'm sure this will be the case, I was just a little taken aback since I've only seen USPS locations referred to as post offices.

On a related note, how would one receive packages on board? Will Blueseed have its own postal code? Would shipments from the US have to pass through customs?

Still around.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:17:58 PM

Dan,try to talk to Micky Arison.He is very well connected.

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Dan Dascalescu (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 09:54:28 PM

It's amusing that most of the comments in this thread have little to do with Bitcoin, but I guess Blueseed is a sufficiently complex venture to warrant a number of clarifications.

What would be the source of energy to keep the ship moving? Diesel transported to the ship by ferry? Solar or other electric motors?

Initially, fuel (transported by platform supply vessels or the ferries on their return trip) whose emissions satisfy California Air Resources Board (CARB) and Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) standards.

The description makes it sound as if this will mostly be computer labs for software development and engineering with computer simulations. Will you have science research labs that would allow researchers to build and develop technology onboard? Two things instantly came to mind: sea-based energy generation, such as through waves or wind, and sewage and waste water recycling for farming. It would be much more ecologically sound to have a large barge somewhere near by where food can be grown experimentally, and fertilized by the people eating that food.

Precisely - we actually intend to favor startups that include a hardware element, and cleantech businesses are especially welcome. Algal biofuel production in tethered floating greenhouses would be good example of technology that takes advantage of the location.

Would you consider adding research or other modular barges to the area? It would be nice to have a floating runway.

As long as the attachments can safely handle the sea conditions, yes. Since mooring is rather expensive, it will probably make sense for small floating modules to be dynamically positions with the help of Liquid Robotics drones. Those things can generate impressive amounts of torque for their size.

Helicopters are nice, but they're ridiculously expensive and complicated compared to a prop plane, and as mention in last paragraph, extra space to work and research on would be nice.

Helicopters are actually surprisingly cheap, if you have enough of them. According to this calculator, it appears that with a fleet of 6 helicopters, the cost per person per trip (Blueseed - Half Moon Bay) can get as low as $50. We need to double-check what types of helicopters are allowed to fly over open ocean, and the noise issue needs to be carefully considered.

I know the boat will be privately owned, but will you allow businesses to set up and sell their own services, such as aformentioned energy and food, or internet access, or other things that may not be considered savory in some countries? Or will all business have to go through your approval and require to pay you a cut?

For Blueseed to succeed, we need to create an environment on the ship that's conducive to startups scaling their ventures. That includes friendly relationships with the authorities; there's no realistic way around that, as much as some would want Blueseed to be some independent territory. We're right near the US, and will be good neighbors. This means that businesses considered seriously unsavory in the U.S. (e.g. drugs that the Coast Guard would come after) won't be welcome. We'll have to exercise discretion when it comes to approving tenants on board.

Will you follow any regulations such as FCC radio band reservations, or will it basically be a free-for-all with conflicts resolved privately?

Most likely we'll follow FCC regulations since we're close enough to the mainland that radio interference could be an issue; also, we'll be near shipping lanes.

Will you be capable of providing a safe haven in case of a zombie outbreak on the mainland, including a well trained medical team to inspect arriving refugees for signs of infection, and a well armed security force to suppress any issues should an infection threat come on board?

Our maritime security partner, Meridian Global Consulting, are quite a badass bunch. Plus, we'll have the famous retired military dolphins.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:18:30 AM

It's amusing that most of the comments in this thread have little to do with Bitcoin...
Well, you did skip my bitcoin-related questions on the front page here. Wink

People like ASICMINER have created shares and those are sold as passthrough on exchanges... I highly recomend BTC-TC, you might want to shoot burnside a PM asking if that would be something possible/doable, with either a set determined company value or by putting up pass-through shares on his exchange... or selling some on those forums.
You can look in the post history how ASICMINER started from nothing, raised funds, and is now bringing shareholders dividends... Although the legal grey waters you'd have to wade through might not be worth it, it's good to consider options.
Oh this would be awesome... I'd buy shares of Blueseed stock for sure! -It'd be the most popular stock on the whole exchange, I have no doubt whatsoever.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:57:10 PM

Oh, I have another one. Will the political status of the ship be honored as a foreign territory, like an embassy, or will anyone with enough power (USA) be able to shove their way around on it? For example, would Julian Assange be allowed to visit, or even move to the ship, and still have the same amount of security/assurance as he does while hiding out at the embassy in London, or will be be immediately arrested and extradited to USA?

Oh, and will BlueSeed be willing to run a dedicated Bitcoin node? It would set up a copy of the blockchain database in international waters, and would give local residents access to a trusted (maybe) bitcoin node that they can still rely on should internet connection be temporarily interrupted.
Dan Dascalescu (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 08:12:48 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their questions and suggestions; will answer more questions as soon as I clear several urgent items on my place.

It appears that there is serious investor interest in Blueseed, as long as investments can be made directly in Bitcoin. For us, it would be easiest, legally speaking, to have the investments converted into fiat, and issue stock. But I'll need to look into the resources that others posted, and talk to folks like Micky Arison and burnside.

@BTCLuke - I had added your Bitcoin questions to the main post Smiley

Here's a quick answer to Tom, with a cool video. More answers to come!

I am concerned about your "30 minute ferry" from Half Moon Bay.  That requires a ferry that travels an average of 24 knots.  Add in delays for clearing Half Mood Bay harbor and you are looking at a vessel that can transit some pretty rough water at 25+ knots.  Last time I was in Half Moon Bay it did not seem like a good place for a vessel that large.

Have a look at the Nauti-Craft Marine Suspension Systems ferry. Here's a cool video; the comparison with the monohull at 2:05 is awesome.

If scaled 2X, it would work very well for us. Alternatively, a fleet of several of them at the current scale would be great too.
oaxaca

Activity: 671

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:50:51 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their questions and suggestions; will answer more questions as soon as I clear several urgent items on my place.

Dan,

Have you looked into the actual payment technology onboard?  ATMs?  Smart Cards? Gold bars?
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 09:29:23 PM

I love the concept.  Very cool.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:58:43 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 12:31:13 AM by franky1

as an investor in many projects one of the few things i would be looking at to even take a funds beg serious are:
single and final design
proper costing estimates
list of material suppliers
list of engineering companies worthy of fulfilling the contract

blueseed is not in the investment stage of a project. atmost they should be at the pledge stage. this is be cause with all their waffle. they are still talking about it as an IDEA. not a plan.

im sorry but blue seed has been showing off this idea since 2011, looking for investors from different walks of life. business people, developers, banks governments, and yet still do not have the funding. so they obviously cant be on the right path if they cant find enough investment after 2 years and here is why they cant really get any creditble funding:

after 2 years he has still not even come up with a final design to then make proper blueprints to atleast get the materials costs/engineering labour to have an accurate idea of funds requirements, instead he has 4 design idea's.. which even during his writing of these posts he has made comments that things are not finalised by mentioning changes/adaptations that are possible.[1]

i think that not having a final design he cannot accurately know the costs or the timescale to say it will be in the water by summer 2014.[2] and as for their series A funding which was $500k in 2011[3], they could have got the money easily from under 10 entrepreneurs that may wished to go to the UK and convince them to move near silicon valley[4]

and where suppliers deal with FIAT, i think asking for any bitcoin investment is just absurd. what this OP should be doing is going to FIAT investors, but just highlight the project as requiring bitcoin once the project has finished, to be used as a functional currency on the ship. as its not strictly required for the building of the ship.

in short, im not going to invest.

the idea is good, but i feel that he is playing on bitcoiner's dreams of a sanctuary place to use bitcoin[5]. to grab money for his bottomless pit. whereby it will be filled with office staff from multiple countries all working on american/silicon valley projects for dollar without being on mainland due to visa restrictions, not a true free society/country of bitcoin.

once this project is in the sea, i and many of us would be happy to convert main land funds for contract work into bitcoin so they can be used on the ship. but not investing bitcoin just to be sold off instantly into fiat to fill the OP's pockets before a blueprint has even been drawn up

[1]Which solution we'll choose is a tradeoff between the initial capital investment and operating cost.+multiple other examples of plans that can change
[2] As long as we raise Series A funding on time, Blueseed should be in the water during the summer of next year.

[3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ll5TGrmWII
[4]http://imgur.com/nSi26jy
[5]
Want to make a Bitcoin floating colony happen?
his footer

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Anenome5

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:50:21 AM

it will be filled with office staff from multiple countries all working on american/silicon valley projects for dollar without being on mainland due to visa restrictions, not a true free society/country of bitcoin.
One step at a time. They're doing it right--with a profitable business-plan in place. Seasteading needs to be self-sufficient economically to survive. This first one is historic, and it's important that it succeed so we can garner mainstream interest in future version and extensions of the idea rather than wait another half-generation before attempting another one.

Dan Dascalescu (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 09:38:39 AM

as an investor in many projects one of the few things i would be looking at to even take a funds beg serious are:

Franky1,

Most interesting critique, and a ...unique style; thank you for it. I'll take it as if it were addressed to Blueseed, even though you used "he" most of the time. Blueseed isn't "my idea"; we're a team that's been working on it since 2011, and I'm the most technical of us, hence my posting here on Bitcointalk.

That said, at the moment, Blueseed indeed isn't at a stage where all the research had been done, and it would be just a mechanistic matter of finding $18M to launch. That's why the funding stage is seed, not Series A. The reason is simple - the studies that need to be done, cost money. That said, since 2011, we've done a lot, with very little, and succeeded where others have failed spectacularly.

To address your requirement for design, estimates, and lists - here are some examples. The companies and items below have been anonymized, because we can't make them public at this stage.

An engineering study by the best provider of near-zero-speed stabilization systems for the MS XX ship that's the best candidate for chartering, costs $268k to start.

An environmental impact study costs $60k.

Retrofitting the MS XX ship with a bow helipad configured to hold up to 22,000 pounds costs $550k. The schedule is 4-weeks for design; 6-weeks for fabrication; 3-weeks for installation.

We have precise quotes for hospitality and technical costs for the MS XX, obtained from the two best ship management companies in the world, International Shipping Partners, and V.Ships.

I could go on, but this is the sort of information that's generally discussed in a confidential investor meeting, as you surely know as an investor in many projects.

im sorry but blue seed has been showing off this idea since 2011, looking for investors from different walks of life. business people, developers, banks governments, and yet still do not have the funding.

Apologies accepted. We've never looked for investors among developers (?), banks, or governments. At this stage, we've received investments from angel investors (as all startups do first) and research institutions.

Our mistake was to seek investments among venture capitalists, because we wanted to establish relationships with them in order to offer them access to the startups aboard. It turned out that most VCs are 1) uncomfortable investing outside spaces they're familiar with (in Silicon Valley, mobile/social/gaming/e-commerce, most often), and 2) not mandated by their LPs to invest in real estate plays or accelerators.

We've pivoted since towards more "traditional" investors, who are more comfortable with brick&mortar (or metal) ventures.

after 2 years he has still not even come up with a final design to then make proper blueprints to atleast get the materials costs/engineering labour to have an accurate idea of funds requirements, instead he has 4 design idea's.. which even during his writing of these posts he has made comments that things are not finalised by mentioning changes/adaptations that are possible.[1]

I "have 4 design idea's"? In case you're referring to the concept renderings, those are a marketing tool, as it's explained at the top of the page.

As I mentioned before, Blueseed has a quote from the management company of a certain cruise ship that we plan to charter.

i think that not having a final design he cannot accurately know the costs or the timescale to say it will be in the water by summer 2014.[2]

Another reference to "design". Perhaps you've read some press suggesting that we'd design and build a ship? Well, surprise, press gets things wrong some times! Stop the presses!

We're not going to do any grand design; rather, we'll charter an existing cruise ship. Thus, one can reasonably estimate a year's lead time.

and as for their series A funding which was $500k in 2011[3],

$500k is not Series A funding, as you must surely know. Please listen again to Max's talk at 1:35 - he said "$500k in seed money".

they could have got the money easily from under 10 entrepreneurs that may wished to go to the UK and convince them to move near silicon valley - [4]http://imgur.com/nSi26jy

The chart you reference indicates the minimum amounts a startup needs to get in investments in order to get a visa in certain countries. That means the startup needs to get that investment, and they need it to ensure runway. They can't just fork that over to Blueseed.

Plus, as you surely know as an investor in many projects, startups are highly risky, with a success rate of (optimistically) only 10% within a year. How many early-stage startups would be so confident that they'll be around a year later, plus be at a stage where they'd still be interested in coming to the ship (e.g. team still has no kids, is of a suitable size, still wants to leave their country and ecosystem and customer base etc.), to give Blueseed $50k now?

Hopefully the magnitude of the chicken-and-egg problem will now be apparent: Blueseed can't realistically crowdfund from startups - since you suggested a "pledge" stage. Build it and they'll come - yes, probably in droves, but we have to build it first. And you can't build a prototype, as Elon Musk did with Tesla. Blueseed is the prototype for a completely new industry: ocean-based jurisdictional arbitration.

and where suppliers deal with FIAT, i think asking for any bitcoin investment is just absurd.

As absurd as it is to suggest that I've asked for Bitcoin investments. Please do reference that, since you're quite good with references Smiley (By the way, you probably also know as an investor in many projects, that the public solicitation of investments in a private U.S. company is still illegal under SEC regulations, even though the JOBS Act passed more than a year ago.)

What I did was to asked for topics to discuss during my talk at the conference, and some members of the forum expressed unprompted interest to invest.

what this OP should be doing is going to FIAT investors, but just highlight the project as requiring bitcoin once the project has finished, to be used as a functional currency on the ship. as its not strictly required for the building of the ship.

Um... duh? That's exactly what we are doing, and Bitcoin is not required once the project has finished, nor is it required for the... wait, what building of the ship? Are we talking about the same Blueseed? Please see the FAQ, more specifically What ship will Blueseed use?

in short, im not going to invest.

the idea is good, but i feel that he is playing on bitcoiner's dreams of a sanctuary place to use bitcoin[5]. to grab money for his bottomless pit.

That's a good one Cheesy If we wanted to get money form people and run with it, we would've done that since 2011, taking deposits from startups and claiming we'd charter a ship in 3 months.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of the critique, and after this repeated allegation, I'd rather just not reply to it.

Anyway, last night I went to GigaOM's pre-conference meetup and had a great time. I met in person a bunch of people I knew of before, and one of them, Multibit developer Jim Burton (jim618 here) told me that the buzz and the atmosphere were fantastic, and much better than last year. Roger Ver also electrified the audience with one of his passionate speeches, and Mike Hearn made me realize something quite profound:

In the world of Bitcoin, you don't need to be a person in order to have an account. Computer programs can have accounts. Software-run businesses can have accounts, and if they're profitable, they can even hire humans to improve their code. They can spawn off new businesses, and the best will survive and grow.

The singularity is here. Smiley
Dan Dascalescu (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 09:58:58 AM

Have you looked into the actual payment technology onboard?  ATMs?  Smart Cards? Gold bars?

Hi Oxaca,

Gold bars might be fun, and would get you in less trouble with animals' rights groups than shark teeth Wink

Smart cards or RFID tags are a proven option used on many company campuses - fast checkout at the cafeteria, secure remote control, can serve as an access badge etc. Everyone used one when I worked at Yahoo!, for example, and there were no complaints.

Bitcoin ATMs would be great to have onboard.

In a year from now, mobile payments and Bitcoin wallets will likely be very common among the tech-savvy crowd.

Off-chain transactions may form a universe of their own and LocalBitcoin will probably get a BlueseedBitcoin clone Smiley

Bitcoin is evolving very rapidly, and the favorable regulatory environment on the ship will allow the adoption of the latest "thing", plus rapid testing, iteration and improvement of uses nobody has thought of yet.

As a few of the speakers at last night's meetup said,
"Bitcoin is the greatest invention since the internet. In Bitcoin land, we're like in 1992, at the dawn of the Internet age. And you, are at the forefront of it."
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:31:22 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2013, 09:31:43 AM by franky1

ok then thanks for the reply. now my opinion that will help you out.

instead of the word idea, i will now use your word concept.
by concepts/idea's i refer to EVEN YOUR FAQ page thats states "We’ll charter an existing cruise ship like this, this, or this one" which you then say will be retrofitted(requiring hammers and welding torches(hense the whole BUILDing terms i used). meaning a final decision has not been made.

you obviously already have a ship(well 3) in mind that you will retrofit instead of building a whole cruiseliner from start to finish. so that atleast answers the parts about knowing some of the costings estimates. i would advise you make that point more highlighted in the future that you have ship X and retrofit costs are Y requiring Z funds to get it into the water.(you may want to add maybe 50% buffer to the estimates before publishing numbers so that it covers surprises).

just having 3 concepts and shouting for money, but being too afraid to say how much money you need or how it will be used is not a positive presentation.

the CONCEPT designs is something many investors see images of and instantly think that blueseed is not even ready to take money because they have not made any final decisions or shown proof of a certain direction they want to go with it. so try to get to a point where you know what MS XX can handle and what kind of population numbers room dimensions, office/entertainment facilities it will all require and try to make it into a FINAL and SINGLE design.

it does not require $18mill to do this research, it does not even cost hundreds of thousands either. after 2 years of asking for $500k you should already be at this point of having a finalised blueprint and 1 final design. NO CONCEPTS.

projects that show more then one design concept, usually make investors also worry if they throw $5mill at the project. then the money would be used to start one 'concept', but when things go wrong the money will be gone and another concept will be taken over begging for more funds, as if you the project team don't care about the intricate details and costs. you just wish to continue "trying and failing" until something finally works. investors prefer a final plan that is robust and has confidence to succeed first time.

so please go back to the spreadsheets and the numbers and reign in the multitude of idea's and get to a point of a final design, costing and plan.

investors love business plans.. not concepts, idea's.

if you presented this as a business PLAN and not a CONCEPT i would have happily got involved and encouraged numerous contacts to get involved also. but it just seems after 2 years your now running out of avenues for investment as your CONCEPTS have let you down where PLANS would have won you successes.

the use of terms such as SEED / STARTUP / concepts even after 2 years to me and many people in laymans terms is:
the amount that will not be used to complete a project but just play money to waste on things that dont involve a welding torch or a hammer.

the IDEA of a sea-stead is great, don't get me wrong. but your presentation seems a little lacking in confidence with the lack of a final business plan. with no confidence that it will work or that the majority of the money is not going to be wasted on another couple years of your teams salary so that you can go scuba diving in the ocean for fun, under the pretence of research to ensure the concept wont affect the ecosystem. or to pay for your flights and hotel rooms for another 2 years to continue begging for cash.

much like those charities that have paid 'fundraisers' where their salary matches the funds raised.

you should by now be beyond the seed requests and displaying concepts. you should be at the final design and business plan stage after 2 years.

the use of the image showing UK of £77k and USA of $1mill  where the entrepeuner in the UK would end up spending that money on an office space, bills and salary(meals and place to live) what are very well known business costs. by them offering blueseed a certain sum. that is what they will get. a place to live, office space, meals, bills, etc. all covered.

so using the UK, knowing it will cost lets say £37k to have somewhere to live, eat, and then have office space to work in.. that can go to blue seed (as an example) the other half would be used directly on their own projects. much like the reality of starting up onland.

so instead of them "just forking it over" to office/housing landlords onshore its used for the same purpose on sea.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:44:25 AM

if you presented this as a business PLAN and not a CONCEPT i would have happily got involved and encouraged numerous contacts to get involved also.

I saw no point in his request for topics to speak about at the Bitcoin conference where he was soliciting investments or should have publicly presented Blueseed's business plan.

I would imagine that that would be something discussed after an investor contacts them and goes through the non-disclosure process and is vetted as a valid investor. Some of us requested being able to invest using bitcoins, which I would gladly invest a bit towards it.

You keep talking about finalizing designs for a ship that has not yet been purchased. From their FAQ it appears that they are looking at buying a used cruise ship. You cannot finalize a design for a ship before you purchase it since any money spent toward that would be wasted if the ship designed for is not available by the time the money is ready. It would be like planning on building a building and having a few lots of land available. You could present the concept but final design could not be done until the lot is purchased and you know what the final lot's layout includes.

It appears that they have narrowed down a criteria "between 190 and 230 meters (~620 – 750ft) long, and between 24 and 29 meters (~78 – 95ft) wide" and have received quotes on what it would take to retrofit that type of ship.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: