Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:15:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who should be the listed owner of the Wall Observer thread? Choose all acceptable options. Your vote will be published.  (Voting closed: July 08, 2017, 01:48:25 PM)
lightfoot - 20 (12%)
arklan - 16 (9.6%)
Erkallys - 15 (9%)
infofront - 58 (34.7%)
Lauda - 35 (21%)
empowering - 23 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer new ownership  (Read 6870 times)
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:17:59 AM

Hi guys..

If I end up with this thread I would

Set up polls at least once a week..

Set up polls on what to do with the thread

Encourage a chartbuddy replacement/reincarnation  

Encourage Technical analysis and views

Post some newses

Post the occasional stupid ass meme

Will not be too heavy handed especially when there is quiet times...

Will be less tolerant of spammy/troll overdosing

It would be cool to set up some sort of beer escrow tip type thang

But also just have a laugh tbh -

Not really down for the racist shit either

Anyway- this place is going to go nuts over the next month or so regardless Wink

Totally down for a laugh - jus try n keep it classy y'know?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:23:14 AM

ps. I killed my Monkey

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:30:00 AM

wait, why are we going nuts in a month? did i miss something huge, again?

poor monkey.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:30:39 AM

If I end up with this thread I would...

Sounds good to me (except killing the Monkey, chap would be a vote-winner with the ladies).
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:34:21 AM

Seriously? The HAPPENING!!!

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:42:19 AM

...the what now?

edit: oh god, you mean the segwit2x deadline of august 1... right.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:44:04 AM

...the what now?

Yep... and UASF, and... years waiting for a single moment like that. (I hope everything will go smooth though).

infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:07:52 AM

Will you publish who voted for who again? I am not really familiar with some of these names to vote for them. I had hoped Jimbo would be a part of it.

I will declare a poll winner by considering who voted what, not just by counting votes.
How would you handle a situation with a large number of new accounts voting? The decision to consider 'who' voted is a step in the right direction, but I'm wondering how you would execute it if someone were to be leading by a large margin with e.g. such votes.

Lauda...

Beat it you tyrant... you kept deleting R0aches natzi posts... and that guy is pure gold entertainment!!! Smiley ... Do you think people come to these posts for speculation?? You are dead wrong!!! They come for entertainment!!! Smiley ... No one care who said what, when or maybe. Because 90% of the people with money from these posts don't listen to each other anyway! So its just simple chit chat between millionaires and billionaires that like to mock each other!!! Smiley

No matter who the moderator ends up being, I hope posts like R0ach's are allowed to stand. The thread will not be the same without the occasional Hitler/anti-jew meme pictures scattered about.

I think I just realized this thing is going to be a showdown between a crooked officer and an alt of cockroach. This is why democracy only works on really smart people.  Embarrassed

If that was aimed at me, I'm flattered. I'll just clarify by saying I subscribe to the American notion of free speech and not the European version. I don't believe in censoring speech just because it makes a few people uncomfortable. That said, the thread isn't a place for hate speech or calls for genocide.

And speaking of R0ach, he's a staple of the thread - even if not a well liked one.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:12:46 AM

Hi guys..

Post some newses

Anyway- this place is going to go nuts over the next month or so regardless Wink

awesome ... and candy for the children, goodies for everyone etc? Grin

you need to hug some babies on camera to seal the deal usually ... you got my vote already btw.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:31:54 AM

...the what now?

Yep... and UASF, and... years waiting for a single moment like that. (I hope everything will go smooth though).

I am kind of questioning whether we are going to be able to identify any particular moment with any kind of preciseness...

for example, a moment in which we are assured that segwit is locked in because there are likely going to be some insiders who know way ahead of time about the inevitability of the dynamics to cause the price to move upwardly long before the mere mortals come to the realization that it REALLY IS LOCKED in....

Maybe I am being too pessimistic? or buying too much into the disparity of information conspiracies?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:49:13 AM

Will you publish who voted for who again? I am not really familiar with some of these names to vote for them. I had hoped Jimbo would be a part of it.

I will declare a poll winner by considering who voted what, not just by counting votes.
How would you handle a situation with a large number of new accounts voting? The decision to consider 'who' voted is a step in the right direction, but I'm wondering how you would execute it if someone were to be leading by a large margin with e.g. such votes.

Lauda...

Beat it you tyrant... you kept deleting R0aches natzi posts... and that guy is pure gold entertainment!!! Smiley ... Do you think people come to these posts for speculation?? You are dead wrong!!! They come for entertainment!!! Smiley ... No one care who said what, when or maybe. Because 90% of the people with money from these posts don't listen to each other anyway! So its just simple chit chat between millionaires and billionaires that like to mock each other!!! Smiley

No matter who the moderator ends up being, I hope posts like R0ach's are allowed to stand. The thread will not be the same without the occasional Hitler/anti-jew meme pictures scattered about.

I think I just realized this thing is going to be a showdown between a crooked officer and an alt of cockroach. This is why democracy only works on really smart people.  Embarrassed

If that was aimed at me, I'm flattered. I'll just clarify by saying I subscribe to the American notion of free speech and not the European version. I don't believe in censoring speech just because it makes a few people uncomfortable. That said, the thread isn't a place for hate speech or calls for genocide.

And speaking of R0ach, he's a staple of the thread - even if not a well liked one.

If you were the owner, it is a given that you would have quite a bit of discretion in the deletion of posts direction, and I agree that overall you may want to employ a strategy that is very tolerant - however, even you must admit that from time to time Roach gets a bit carried away, and maybe it would not be a bad idea to, once in a while, delete a post or two of his, maybe in order to encourage him to temper down a bit with some of the offensiveness...

Deleting a post here or there would not likely stop him from posting, and I don't really have any problem with his posting about some of the baloney stuff that he does whether it is hate inspired or PM pumping... however, there could be a way to delete once in a while and surely he would have a copy of his deleted post and maybe he could rethink whether to attempt editing it  and reposting? .. and I don't even think that it is necessary for you to justify your deletions concerning whether they are consistent or not, as long as you keep with your overall tolerance philosophy, which you seem to have a decent way of framing tolerance and I have not seen inconsistent actions from you, yet...

I just hope you don't get any stylistic trainings .. or heading too much in that direction...

If I indicate once in a while deleting roach or even some senior members, including myself, I am not suggesting going hog wild, of course, or categorically disallowing - but any of us could become pretty extreme from time to time.. and some of our posts could seem aimed more at enticing outrage rather than making some kind of meaningful point that relates to anything other than inspiring hate...

I have not put anyone on ignore, but I have developed some pretty decent skimming skills thanks to roach..   Cheesy Cheesy.   Thank you Roach.   Tongue Tongue

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 03:59:18 AM

Hi guys..

Post some newses

you need to hug some babies on camera to seal the deal usually ... you got my vote already btw.

Fake News!!

Heh heh you got me Wink

MWOGA!?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 05:35:36 AM

I'll ignore apparent vote-stuffing completely.

Probably I'll be able to tell the proper ordering by just skimming the color-coded voter list. In edge cases, I might devise some sort of point system.
Thanks.

Lauda is in the lead atm? Who would have thought....  Shocked
Indeed. Then again, I almost don't know the people listed and had expected others to be candidates(?).

I do not.  When he was a Mod, I asked Lauda why posts I had written were deletd and r0ach's anti-semitic hate posts were untouched on the same page.  

He did not answer.

For me intolerance to the point of advocating genocide and the killing of millions of people is NOT really ok.  It's kind a red line issue.

So in the interests of an open debate, what is your position Lauda? Do you just crave the power? Can you tell us if you're a light touch, laissez-faire type, or a totalitarian?
I had reported roach to be banned at least once. Infinitely deleting his reports from that position was futile as long as the senior moderation/administration wasn't going to do anything about it. In the end, he was never banned. Rule wise, I think no altcoin talk and no anti-semitic hate stuff (et. al.) is fair and not too restrictive. I like the speculation thread, at times, and I occasionally drop by to post (which was getting increasingly harder and frustrating with the shitcoin spam in there). I am open to suggestions though.
I explicitly remember debating whether I should remove the old poll from that thread, but as a moderator I couldn't create new ones (thus I never followed up on this idea).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 05:55:23 AM

Quote from: marcus_of_augustus

It doesn't always work out too well Cheesy

I prefer mod not showing off his powers too much, maybe sometimes less is better. [see Meuh's thread, like he effectively killed discussion there] I voted 4/6, but we'll have to wait and see how the winner fares as moderator [note that now the most popular infofront's WO fork is not moderated].
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:03:41 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 09:31:44 AM by bitserve

...the what now?

I am kind of questioning whether we are going to be able to identify any particular moment with any kind of preciseness...

for example, a moment in which we are assured that segwit is locked in because there are likely going to be some insiders who know way ahead of time about the inevitability of the dynamics to cause the price to move upwardly long before the mere mortals come to the realization that it REALLY IS LOCKED in....

Maybe I am being too pessimistic? or buying too much into the disparity of information conspiracies?

I was closely following the Litecoin segwit signaling and activation process. Yes, there is a moment in which it will be clear that even if all of them stop signaling there are already enough signaled blocks to lock it at the end of the period. Of course, you can assume way sooner that locking won't be stopped with a 95-95% chance of being right.

I do expect that miners play a little with their hashrate/signaling as they did with Litecoin though. And as they are actually doing right now with Bitcoin (see coindance).

It will be a very fun and interesting process to watch (and trade) in real time.... and talk about it in our reopened WO Smiley

P.S.: Hopefully with an owner/moderator that allows references to altcoins for comparison (such as Litecoin in this specific case).

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:31:36 AM

...the what now?

I was closely following the Litecoin segwit signaling and activation process. Yes, there is a moment in which it will be clear that even if all of them stop signaling there are already enough signaled blocks to lock it at the end of the period. Of course, you can assume way sooner that locking won't be stopped with a 95-95% chance of being right.

I do expect that miners play a little with their hashrate/signaling as they did with Litecoin though. And as they are actually doing right now with Bitcoin (see coindance).

It will be a very fun and interesting process to watch (and trade) in real time.... and talk about it in our reopened WO Smiley

P.S.: Hopefully with an owner/moderator that allows references to altcoins for comparison (in this case Litecoin).

Great points!!!

I do disagree with pure alt coin pumping in the WO thread - however, like you suggested and a lot of us are coming to realize there is a lot of symbiosis in the current bitcoin space in respect to various alt coin pumpings and dumpings... and yeah.. the litecoin segwit comparison should be a helpful speculation factor and to witness the extent to which bitcoin might play out similarly or with some differences, too.

And, yeah, some of the trolls are already seeming to get to a bit of desperation because they keep attempting to argue that 2mb and a hardfork is baked into a significant adoption of segwit2x, when the fact of the matter remains way more consensus building around segwit rather than either the 2x matter or the hardfork matter or their seeming more important goal to change governance by booting core.

And, yeah the WO thread is likely going to be a decent ongoing way to attempt to measure these matters while also maybe having more faith in the representation of some of the regular posters as compared to the newbie goofballs that come in with their standard talking points....

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:54:51 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 11:06:37 AM by Last of the V8s

that's twice now that @empowering has come late to a thread promising laughs and activities

while his manifesto is now the most comprehensive, can he deliver it in real time?

can anyone else be bothered to expand theirs beyond a scattered line or two?

might mass changes of vote at this late stage stand Lauda a chance, which is something ~77% do not want?

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:19:08 AM

I do not.  When he was a Mod, I asked Lauda why posts I had written were deletd and r0ach's anti-semitic hate posts were untouched on the same page.  

He did not answer.

For me intolerance to the point of advocating genocide and the killing of millions of people is NOT really ok.  It's kind a red line issue.

So in the interests of an open debate, what is your position Lauda? Do you just crave the power? Can you tell us if you're a light touch, laissez-faire type, or a totalitarian?
I had reported roach to be banned at least once. Infinitely deleting his reports from that position was futile as long as the senior moderation/administration wasn't going to do anything about it. In the end, he was never banned. Rule wise, I think no altcoin talk and no anti-semitic hate stuff (et. al.) is fair and not too restrictive. I like the speculation thread, at times, and I occasionally drop by to post (which was getting increasingly harder and frustrating with the shitcoin spam in there). I am open to suggestions though.
I explicitly remember debating whether I should remove the old poll from that thread, but as a moderator I couldn't create new ones (thus I never followed up on this idea).

I don't want anyone banned, just totally OTT racist hatred frowned upon and removed if it's extreme.

I will take you at your word you did your best, you may well have - thanks for addressing this.

I am afraid my vote has gone elsewhere, but I am glad you have entered the debate on style and lightness of touch - people do want to know.

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:24:04 AM

...the what now?

P.S.: Hopefully with an owner/moderator that allows references to altcoins for comparison (such as Litecoin in this specific case).

Of course it's relevant.  Mention of alts never really needed policing, the thread members tend to flame it in any case.

The WO always veered off-topic, it was part of its appeal.  But the crowd all piled in to check which way the wind was blowing when there was action.  It was always a great barometer of sentiment, if not THE barometer of sentiment in crypto.

Such was (and hopefully will continue to be) its value.

我想要火箭和火车
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 12:00:30 PM

that's twice now that @empowering has come late to a thread promising laughs and activities

while his manifesto is now the most comprehensive, can he deliver it in real time?

can anyone else be bothered to expand theirs beyond a scattered line or two?

might mass changes of vote at this late stage stand Lauda a chance, which is something ~77% do not want?

I  admit I threw my hat in late, and I have had a busy few days.. but I DO have the time and the will - and I actually would like to do it... if that makes any difference.

I really enjoyed this thread over the years,  lets hope it remains a fun place to hang out, chew the cud, catch up on newses and check the forecasts of doooooooooooooooooom!  

If so then it is all good.

I spend most of my time eyeballing charts..... I do still have a picture of Monkey on the wall.

Also see my signature.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: