Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Super N00b!  (Read 831 times)
djswim (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:30:05 PM

Hey there everyone, I'm sure that by the nature of my question you'll immediately know that I'm super new to this, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere, right?

1. So, I installed Bitcoin on my PC.  I can't believe I screwed anything up there.
2. I registered for an account in Slush's Pool.  Put in my wallet #, and registered a new worker.
3. I installed GUI Miner, and put the server to "Other" since the automatic web address it came up with for Slush's didn't match the address that the website says I should connect to.  So I put api.bitcoin.cz into the "Host" field, left the Port at 8332, and put my workers login name and password into those fields.

I'm not getting an error or anything, I just see "Starting" in the bottom right hand corner of the GUI Miner screen.

Is this right? It's said "Starting" for like an hour now.  I have the option to "Stop Mining" but obviously I don't want to undo whatever's been going on for the past hour if this is what is supposed to be happening.

Any tips? Any way to see what's going on so I'm not freaking out?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to working with all of you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:32:18 PM

Open the log tab and what's there?
dan_a

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:33:48 PM

I had a similar issue caused by a graphics driver problem.  I tried all of the "other" miners, and the only one which worked for me was the rpcminer-4way (i.e. CPU mining)

Does anything show up in the Console?
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:34:13 PM

On slush website you must whitelist your IP that the miners would connect from.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
djswim (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:42:02 PM

I don't see a "Log" tab in either BitCoin or GUI Miner. Could you be a little more specific?

I tried mining.bitcoin.cz and it's doing the same thing.  I'm a little apprehensive about this though since it explicitly says on the website that I should use the api address.

Nothing in the Console yet, but now it says "Shares: 0 accepted" and "Connecting" at the bottom of the screen instead of just "Starting".  Is this good, or did it just change because I opened the console?

My IP is whitelisted, but thank you for pointing that out since I didn't say it in my initial description.

bmoney9

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:47:59 PM

im stuck like you are lol
Dimsum

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:47:01 PM

I don't see a "Log" tab in either BitCoin or GUI Miner. Could you be a little more specific?

What he means is the "Console" tab in GUIminer. That will tell you whats happening. Besides if it say starting for an hour - it isn't doing anything. The starting should change to a Mhash/s value within a few seconds -so if you don't see a Mhash value then there is a issue with connecting to the pool. Check the Console tab as it will say this for sure.
djswim (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:57:54 PM

Console tab is blank.
djswim (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

Ok, now here is what I have from the Console tab:

Listener for "Default" shutting down
Running command: poclbm.exe --user=[username redacted] --pass=[password redacted] -o mining.bitcoin.cz -p 8332 -d0 --verbose
Listener for "Default" started
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: