Bitcoin Forum
August 07, 2024, 03:20:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 107 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ♬ Opus - Beta-Ready Decentralized Music Sharing; Running on IPFS and ETH ♬  (Read 108576 times)
Opusfoundation

Activity: 127
Merit: 10

Opus; Music decentralized. Crowdsale LIVE!

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 04:50:31 PM

Interesting project. The pre crowdsale seems to be great, the number of buying ether is bursting. I think this would be success. Goodluck devs!

I rather buy after,,,all the ICO so far later when it sells in the exchange is cheaper as the team will sell their coins to make more money like it happened with TENX, we have learnt our lessons! no more ICO!  Team will sell their coins, DO not invest in ICO you will lose your investment

Not at all, Did you invest at all the ICO's lately?

Opus has unique concept. This project will be successful after the ICO end.

Yes I did and what happened all ICO is cheaper to buy from exchanges as the value will be the same as it was in the ICO but then the Team will sell their coins to make profit and make lots of money for their own pockets, Same old story, I have been here for more than 4 years and this is what will happen, want to bet?

It's most likely not just the team and more so the people who bought the ICO's because people who buy them outnumber the developer holdings usually.  The ICO buyers do a quick flip and so the prices go down.  It's almost pointless to buy during ICO like you say, the prices become cheaper when it hits the exchanges, but I've noticed some exceptions and that depends on a few things.   I don't like that Opus has a bounty incentivizing people to post positive comments etc blindly.

We definitely do not ask people to spam and post only good things. We always recommend bounty participants to read and fully understand the technology. If there are any constructive posts or posts that add to a discussion, it's completely fine.

To be honest, we are mostly developers and engineers so we are learning the bounty program as well Smiley
james994

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 05:07:27 PM

Interesting project. The pre crowdsale seems to be great, the number of buying ether is bursting. I think this would be success. Goodluck devs!

I rather buy after,,,all the ICO so far later when it sells in the exchange is cheaper as the team will sell their coins to make more money like it happened with TENX, we have learnt our lessons! no more ICO!  Team will sell their coins, DO not invest in ICO you will lose your investment

Yes I did and what happened all ICO is cheaper to buy from exchanges as the value will be the same as it was in the ICO but then the Team will sell their coins to make profit and make lots of money for their own pockets, Same old story, I have been here for more than 4 years and this is what will happen, want to bet?

It's most likely not just the team and more so the people who bought the ICO's because people who buy them outnumber the developer holdings usually.  The ICO buyers do a quick flip and so the prices go down.  It's almost pointless to buy during ICO like you say, the prices become cheaper when it hits the exchanges, but I've noticed some exceptions and that depends on a few things.   I don't like that Opus has a bounty incentivizing people to post positive comments etc blindly.

We definitely do not ask people to spam and post only good things. We always recommend bounty participants to read and fully understand the technology. If there are any constructive posts or posts that add to a discussion, it's completely fine.

To be honest, we are mostly developers and engineers so we are learning the bounty program as well Smiley

I'd say maybe look at a few things in the bounty program that are less questionable.  Some people here make valid points then these guys on the bounty program come in without getting into much detail straight to something positive and how much they love Opus without addressing the persons concerns/views.  I think that you'd be better off and have better credibility without these posters as no constructive discussion comes about it.  There have been very credible ICO's like Civic which I believe did not have a bounty program so any enthusiasm or positivity is from real discussions and more so organic than incentivized positivity, which I dare say is more to be used for pump and dump ICO's and the like.  Hope that helps Wink
jenifive

Activity: 390
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 05:18:47 PM

Can you tell us how do you differentiate from Musiconomi (MCI) that will also have their ICO by the end of the month?

Note that I'm not trashing anybody's project here, Just stating a few things based on what I saw.
Looking at their Website.
It's basically just a plain site, explaining about what their token could do within their site/system
And of course a few info about some ICO.

where as if you look at the Opus foundation's site.

DEMO

That's what stands out. Opus has a working beta.
While others only have words to boast, Opus has it working already.

Really you are boosting the investors because already you people developed the Beta platform. But many companies are developing the ICO is developing after collecting some amount of money in the ICO.  

What do you think of Musicoin that already have working alpha platform, every day updating and improving, plus they have a lot of musicians already posting their music? And all of that was done without any money involved. Just a bunch of people working on project.
They even dont have ICO and premine. Just a little donations from mining pools.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1776113.1480

Opusfoundation

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 08:04:06 PM

Can you tell us how do you differentiate from Musiconomi (MCI) that will also have their ICO by the end of the month?

Note that I'm not trashing anybody's project here, Just stating a few things based on what I saw.
It's basically just a plain site, explaining about what their token could do within their site/system

DEMO

Really you are boosting the investors because already you people developed the Beta platform. But many companies are developing the ICO is developing after collecting some amount of money in the ICO.  

What do you think of Musicoin that already have working alpha platform, every day updating and improving, plus they have a lot of musicians already posting their music? And all of that was done without any money involved. Just a bunch of people working on project.

Sure, we have also developed most of Opus out of our own pockets. However, to go mainstream and take on the giants of Spotify, that raised $1B on debt, a few donations will be difficult.
Having musicians at this stage is a little early, we would like to make sure all aspects of the platform are as easy to use and technologically smooth for the average listener before going mainstream.
It would be anti-productive to have mainstream listeners at this point while the tech is still in the infancy.

Nevertheless, having some artists are beneficial, and we have 4-5 musicians ready to join us and test the program.
jenifive

Activity: 390

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 09:14:33 PM

DEMO

Sure, we have also developed most of Opus out of our own pockets. However, to go mainstream and take on the giants of Spotify, that raised $1B on debt, a few donations will be difficult.
Having musicians at this stage is a little early, we would like to make sure all aspects of the platform are as easy to use and technologically smooth for the average listener before going mainstream.
It would be anti-productive to have mainstream listeners at this point while the tech is still in the infancy.

Nevertheless, having some artists are beneficial, and we have 4-5 musicians ready to join us and test the program.

What will be incentive for users to pay for song?

miningnew

Activity: 854
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 09:38:52 PM

Despite the fact that I wear the signature, I have many doubt about this project.

We got Bitcoin & Ethereum. IPFS is simply just the next big thing and thus, seeing that this project is use both IPFS & Ethereum is a good point.

I've been reading the whitepaper really fast, it might be possible that I missed the point. It is also possible that you already answer the question (a basic Q&A could be good, there are always too much gerbish comments on announcements thread to read everything). Do not hesitate to point me out to somewhere that have the answer instead of losing your time repeating things  Wink

You are comparing your service to Spotify and Deezer which are streaming platforms. Both allow us to :

- Listen music for free (no subscription plan), even if they pay for, because adds are giving enough income.
- Listen music without adds or limit with a pay subscription plan.

I may have badly understand Opus, but it doesn't seems like it is a streaming platform and doesn't allow any of the 2 points above. But then, why would you compare to Spotify & Deezer ? If it is not a streaming platform, how is it different from some kind of decentralized marketplace we already have ?
Do we have to pay for each song we would like to listen ? (big deal) Can we download and listen music offline ? (this one isn't a big deal because in ~ 10 years, we'll all have unlimited data and network everywhere).

Your are speaking about 0 censorship. I don't understand. Is there a team at Opus who will valid songs ?
Let's study a case with the lovely Taylor Swift. Let's say she releases a new song :

- Spotify :
She connects to her account who has been validated by Spotify team. She had to provide documents proving she is Taylor Switf while registering her account.
She sends her song to Spotify and negotiate a price per 10k/listening. Spotify release the song.
If someone other than Taylor Switf try to send Taylor Swift song, it will not get accepted because the guys doesn't have the right on it.

- Opus :
Does the artist have to provide proof of ownership on the song ? How do you protect artist from stealing ?
If Opus team is monitoring new songs to protect artist from this, who tell us that you're not censoring others song ?

Also, does an artist have to pay for uploading one song ? Because IPFS storage cost some money. If not, who pays for it ? Opus ?
Opusfoundation

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 09:50:53 PM

Despite the fact that I wear the signature, I have many doubt about this project.

We got Bitcoin & Ethereum. IPFS is simply just the next big thing and thus, seeing that this project is use both IPFS & Ethereum is a good point.

I've been reading the whitepaper really fast, it might be possible that I missed the point. It is also possible that you already answer the question (a basic Q&A could be good, there are always too much gerbish comments on announcements thread to read everything). Do not hesitate to point me out to somewhere that have the answer instead of losing your time repeating things  Wink

You are comparing your service to Spotify and Deezer which are streaming platforms. Both allow us to :

- Listen music for free (no subscription plan), even if they pay for, because adds are giving enough income.
- Listen music without adds or limit with a pay subscription plan.

I may have badly understand Opus, but it doesn't seems like it is a streaming platform and doesn't allow any of the 2 points above. But then, why would you compare to Spotify & Deezer ? If it is not a streaming platform, how is it different from some kind of decentralized marketplace we already have ?
Do we have to pay for each song we would like to listen ? (big deal) Can we download and listen music offline ? (this one isn't a big deal because in ~ 10 years, we'll all have unlimited data and network everywhere).

Your are speaking about 0 censorship. I don't understand. Is there a team at Opus who will valid songs ?
Let's study a case with the lovely Taylor Swift. Let's say she releases a new song :

- Spotify :
She connects to her account who has been validated by Spotify team. She had to provide documents proving she is Taylor Switf while registering her account.
She sends her song to Spotify and negotiate a price per 10k/listening. Spotify release the song.
If someone other than Taylor Switf try to send Taylor Swift song, it will not get accepted because the guys doesn't have the right on it.

- Opus :
Does the artist have to provide proof of ownership on the song ? How do you protect artist from stealing ?
If Opus team is monitoring new songs to protect artist from this, who tell us that you're not censoring others song ?

Also, does an artist have to pay for uploading one song ? Because IPFS storage cost some money. If not, who pays for it ? Opus ?

Hey. It's great you have doubt. As always we recommend you understand a technology fully before investing. Now to answer your questions.

First there is a Q&A. It is in the Navbar of the website. Most of these questions are answered there.

Regarding the verification system I will paste the answer here.
We, at the Opus foundation, frown upon infringing music. As such, we will be removing infringing songs and music from our Core player, just like youtube does. We will not permit copyright infringing content. If we find copyrighted content, we will try our greatest efforts to claim revenue back, if the artist can prove ownership. Unfortunately it is impossible to control what 3rd party players do and they should be advised to remove infringing content as well.

These 3rd party players use APIs to communicate between IPFS and Etherem and are not endorsed Opus foundation but, like anything blockchain related, they can also use the infrastructure that is running on IPFS and Ethereum. This means that they may be a small risk of rogue players sharing copyright infringing songs. But you should keep in mind that this has nothing to do with Opus foundation. Think (Bittorrent and Piratebay) are nothing related but they use the same infrastructure (P2P)

Ofcourse on the internet there will always be imposters and rogue 3rd party players. And while Piratebay exists, fewer and fewer people use it. The reason is because many people do care about the artist, and want a great experience compared to pirated content on a rogue player that could be shut down at any moment. Think (Napster). Nevertheless, in both situations the Opus network will grow and our budget would increase because the more people use the infrastructure, the great the value of the system. (Drawing parallels to bitcoin in 2013, people were afraid of it's use in crime, yet nowadays people use bitcoin for normal goods because in the end the legitimate service will always win.

Regarding the storage costs, there are solutions to IPFS hosting such as Filecoin which can be paid for through the opusDAO treasury. Storage is extremely cheap however, and music files are small so this will not be an issue.

We compared ourselves to Spotify/Deezer because a majority of our market share is currently in those services.

Hope it cleared up some doubts, for more questions do ask the Devs on slack!
miningnew

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 10:20:44 PM

First there is a Q&A. It is in the Navbar of the website. Most of these questions are answered there.
Sorry I missed it !
It doesn't fully answer my questions though. See them below.

What makes Opus different from central streaming services?
The question leads to understand you are a streaming service. However, the main goal of streaming is that it is temporal. From what I understand, you are not a streaming service but a music marketplace. As stated below, it is rather permanent

Once you purchase the decryption keys to Opus tracks, they will be yours permanently on the decentralized IPFS no matter where you are in the world.
If we can't pay for a subscription plan, then is there a possibility we pay for some kind of temporal access to the song ? (eg, 0.001$ for a one time listening) ?

We, at the Opus foundation, frown upon infringing music. As such, we will be removing infringing songs and music from our Core player, just like youtube does.
Ouch. This seems so much like censorship isn't it ? I mean, firstly, comparing to Youtube, who is censoring MANY videos & artist was the worst idea ever  Tongue
Then, again, what tell me you are not censoring some music ? Everything can't be decentralized I agree. And this part is not decentralized (simply because it cant). In this case, I'm not sure the world uncensorable is right. While I'm not saying your team might delete tracks on purpose because they don't like it, you might receive threat sooner or later !

Disagree, slack is too rough. It is also only temporal and has no real way to search for things through. I find it better to discuss problems & solutions publicly so that everybody can benefit from it.
SlowGrowth

Activity: 490
Merit: 264

| Privacy Advocate | Game Theory | Free Thinker |

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 10:39:09 PM

Sorry I missed it !

The question leads to understand you are a streaming service. However, the main goal of streaming is that it is temporal. From what I understand, you are not a streaming service but a music marketplace. As stated below, it is rather permanent

Once you purchase the decryption keys to Opus tracks, they will be yours permanently on the decentralized IPFS no matter where you are in the world.
If we can't pay for a subscription plan, then is there a possibility we pay for some kind of temporal access to the song ? (eg, 0.001$ for a one time listening) ?

We, at the Opus foundation, frown upon infringing music. As such, we will be removing infringing songs and music from our Core player, just like youtube does.
Ouch. This seems so much like censorship isn't it ? I mean, firstly, comparing to Youtube, who is censoring MANY videos & artist was the worst idea ever  Tongue
Then, again, what tell me you are not censoring some music ? Everything can't be decentralized I agree. And this part is not decentralized (simply because it cant). In this case, I'm not sure the world uncensorable is right. While I'm not saying your team might delete tracks on purpose because they don't like it, you might receive threat sooner or later !

Disagree, slack is too rough. It is also only temporal and has no real way to search for things through. I find it better to discuss problems & solutions publicly so that everybody can benefit from it.

Thanks MiningNew you have asked the questions that were crossing my mind... Is this gonna be a platform similar to "steam" but instead of games for music? If your not a streaming service it seems you want to be a platform for people to acquire and store their music? Or am i missing something? Thanks for answering some of my previous doubts and thanks MiningNew for making the questions
Opusfoundation

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 10:57:07 PM

Sorry I missed it !

Sure, we can answer them here. It will benefit that more people can see it and get clarification.

1) Yes we are a streaming service and also not. We are streaming in the sense that when fans are listening through our Core players, the music files are decrypted and streamed on the fly Songs do not need to be pre-downloaded. Now, we are not a streaming service in the sense that users need to pay for songs only once and upfront. It's useful to note here that Amateur artists can set a low price such that songs can essentially be "streamed"

2) The reason we did not go for a (Pay 0.001$ per play) is because we are a development team focusing primarily on existing and technologically feasible solutions. There simple isn't a system (even if Ethereum reaches serenity with raiden, sharding, LX etc...) that can handle tens of millions of microtransfers per minute with close to 0 fees. It's easy to advertise this but when you look at decentralized technologies it's simply not feasible technologically at this moment.

3) Hence you are free to use 3rd party players that may not be fully legitimately developed. I like to point to the PirateBay in this instance with less and less users by the day. History has shown time and time again that users will prefer to pay a small amount to use a legitimate service that supports artists than try to use a un-reliable player that serves illigetimate music. Ofcourse Law enforcement will also limit the success of non-legitimate players. Us removing infringing tracks isn't censorship it's basic intellectual rights. If we for instance censor songs we don't like then 3rd party players can legitimate offer those tracks and attract our "core player" fans.

And thanks again for asking these questions on behalf of others Smiley
mkmdoc

Activity: 658
Merit: 251

VIMee - Social Network

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:44:52 AM

I hope we need to pay any subscription amount for listening the songs because those songs are copyright one. I think if you can provide those with little subscription amount it will be good for investors.

VIMee
Social Platform
|
  VIMee - Indonesia based Islamic Social Network
●   ANN THREAD   ●   WHITEPAPER   ●

|

▄█████▄   ▄▄
     ▐█▄           ▄███████████▀
     ████▄▄       ▐█████████████▀
     ▐███████▄▄   ▐████████████
       ███████████████████████▌
     ▐████████████████████████
      ▀███████████████████████
        ▀████████████████████
        ████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████
           ▄█████████████▀
     ▄▄▄▄█████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄▄█▄▄
                              ▄▄███▀▀▀ ██▌
                         ▄▄███▀▀▀     ▐██
                    ▄▄████▀▀          ██▌
               ▄▄████▀▀     ▄▄▀      ███
          ▄▄████▀▀       ▄█▀        ▐██
      ▄████▀▀         ▄██▀         ▄██
    ▐██▀          ▄▄███            ██▌
     ▀████▄▄▄ ▄▄████▀             ███
          ▀▀▀██████▄             ▄██
             ██▌ ▀▀█████▄▄       ██▀
              ██▄    ███▀▀████▄▄███
               ██▌ ▄██▀       ▀▀▀▀
                ████▀

▄▄█████████
         ▄██████████████
         █████████▀
         ████████▌
     ███████████████████
     ██████████████████▀
         ████████▌
         ████████▌
         ████████▌
         ████████▌
         ████████▌
         ████████
MyMoneyShark

Activity: 84

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 08/14/17

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:11:17 AM

Why based on ETH?

SpectivVR                                                Crowdsale: 8/14 - 9/4
VR Streaming Platform & Attention Markets                  [ Website ]
BitcoinTalk  |  Slack  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  Medium  |  Facebook  |  Instagram
rijaljun

Activity: 1274
Merit: 267

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 10:43:49 AM

Why based on ETH?
Your question seems unclear. But if you are questioning about why you have to contribute with ETH is because of course this project is using smart contract with Ethereum Network and why there's no other payment option is probably to make the rate simple.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com  sports
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀  ▄▄▄▀███▀▄▄▄  ▀█████
████  ▄█████▄ ▄█████▄  ████
███  █ █████▀ ▀█████ █  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀▀▄███▄▀▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀▄██ ███████ ██▄▀█  ██
██   █████ █████ █████   ██
███  █████▀▄▄▄▄▄▀█████  ███
████  ▀▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀█ ███ █▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████
▀▀       ▀▀████████
 ▄▄  ▀  ▄▄   ▀█████
 ▀    ▀█████▄  ████
   ▀█▄   ▀▀██▄  ███
 █▄  ▀██▄▄  ▀█▄  ██
  ▀█▄  ▀███▄  ▀  ██
█  ▀██▄  ▀███▄   ██
██  ▀███▄  ▀█▀  ███
███  ▀████▄    ████
 ▀▀█▄  ▀▀▀   ▄█████
▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███▀▀         ▀▀███
▀   ▄▄██▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
 ▄████████▄  ▀█  ██
██████▄▀  ██▄    ██
████▄▀  ▄▀████▄  ██
██▄▀  ▄▀██████  ▄██
▄▀  ▄▀███████  ▄███
█▄▄▀███████▀  ▄████
▀████████▀  ▄██████
  ▀██▀▀   ▄████████
      ▄▄███████████
███████████████████
1mBTC
x 3 WINNERS
BET
MULTIPLIERS
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
ChristianPogi

Activity: 644
Merit: 252

I'm just a Nobody.

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 02:20:00 PM

I rather buy after,,,all the ICO so far later when it sells in the exchange is cheaper as the team will sell their coins to make more money like it happened with TENX, we have learnt our lessons! no more ICO!  Team will sell their coins, DO not invest in ICO you will lose your investment

I see, i will not judge your experienced in your past but let Opus give a shot to prove that their project has a strong fundamental. I do believe that Opus foundation will success in this ICO. Smiley

Ahhh.. ok
miningnew

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 03:43:40 PM

Sure, we can answer them here. It will benefit that more people can see it and get clarification.

1) Yes we are a streaming service and also not. We are streaming in the sense that when fans are listening through our Core players, the music files are decrypted and streamed on the fly Songs do not need to be pre-downloaded. Now, we are not a streaming service in the sense that users need to pay for songs only once and upfront. It's useful to note here that Amateur artists can set a low price such that songs can essentially be "streamed"

2) The reason we did not go for a (Pay 0.001$ per play) is because we are a development team focusing primarily on existing and technologically feasible solutions. There simple isn't a system (even if Ethereum reaches serenity with raiden, sharding, LX etc...) that can handle tens of millions of microtransfers per minute with close to 0 fees. It's easy to advertise this but when you look at decentralized technologies it's simply not feasible technologically at this moment.

3) Hence you are free to use 3rd party players that may not be fully legitimately developed. I like to point to the PirateBay in this instance with less and less users by the day. History has shown time and time again that users will prefer to pay a small amount to use a legitimate service that supports artists than try to use a un-reliable player that serves illigetimate music. Ofcourse Law enforcement will also limit the success of non-legitimate players. Us removing infringing tracks isn't censorship it's basic intellectual rights. If we for instance censor songs we don't like then 3rd party players can legitimate offer those tracks and attract our "core player" fans.

This business model seems hardly viable to me.
Firstly, you seem to try taking shares from Deezer and Spotify. I think it's an error : the public going to those platform is interested in listening a LOT of music unlimitedly. A vast majority of this public is incompatible with what you are trying to accomplish.
The target of your platform (as state in your whitepaper) is more focus on pure artist' fans, which is far more restrictive and have a smaller public (= less money flowing).
I agree that, in your configuration, a pay per play seems totally unfeasible, considering that the gas price for a single Ethereum transaction is 2-3$. But is it even viable for song purchase, which are I guess (I never buy songs), somewhere near 1$ each ? If you need to pay 3$ for a 1$ song, it's not viable neither.

So I came with a potential solution. I mean, I'm also a dev (never dealt with blockchain though), I know that what I will say seem simple but is really not that simple in practice. Why wouldn't you create your own chain ? This chain will have 0 fees, allowing both pay per play and buying song. Miners could be rewarded with Opus coins, which would allow them to either sell them or use them to listen music. We could even imagine the mining software integrated in the player. Those who mine would get free listening. Now come the question of blockchain size and number of tx/s. It would be huge, that's right, but there are solutions currently being developed, eg, by Vitalik (https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/06/26/state-tree-pruning/, https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Sharding-FAQ).
With this chain, no need of Ethereum anymore and those high fees. You'll still need of IPFS though, but as you said, fees are low.
Opusfoundation

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

This business model seems hardly viable to me.
Firstly, you seem to try taking shares from Deezer and Spotify. I think it's an error : the public going to those platform is interested in listening a LOT of music unlimitedly. A vast majority of this public is incompatible with what you are trying to accomplish.
The target of your platform (as state in your whitepaper) is more focus on pure artist' fans, which is far more restrictive and have a smaller public (= less money flowing).
I agree that, in your configuration, a pay per play seems totally unfeasible, considering that the gas price for a single Ethereum transaction is 2-3$. But is it even viable for song purchase, which are I guess (I never buy songs), somewhere near 1$ each ? If you need to pay 3$ for a 1$ song, it's not viable neither.

So I came with a potential solution. I mean, I'm also a dev (never dealt with blockchain though), I know that what I will say seem simple but is really not that simple in practice. Why wouldn't you create your own chain ? This chain will have 0 fees, allowing both pay per play and buying song. Miners could be rewarded with Opus coins, which would allow them to either sell them or use them to listen music. We could even imagine the mining software integrated in the player. Those who mine would get free listening. Now come the question of blockchain size and number of tx/s. It would be huge, that's right, but there are solutions currently being developed, eg, by Vitalik (https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/06/26/state-tree-pruning/, https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Sharding-FAQ).
With this chain, no need of Ethereum anymore and those high fees. You'll still need of IPFS though, but as you said, fees are low.

That is definitely not an error, Spotify took shares from the CD sales industry and the same argument could be applied here. And sure. the public can still listen to a LOT of music effectively unlimitedly but that is up to the individual arist. What we do is give them freedom in what they can charge.
And yes one of our biggest audiences is artist's dedicated fans (As those are who will be supporting artists who can afford to charge premiums if they wish), however that is not the ultimate goal of Opus.

We know Ethereum's potential but from a technical perspective, it's unlikely for tx costs to go significantly lower than $0.0001, which would still be a significant cost to stream. Your solution also failes to realize that mining has a huge hidden cost in terms of inflating the supply. While it's not visible to each individual user, every token mined/issued to secure the network dilutes existing token holders. In addition, as specified in the whitepaper, securing a POW chain such as Opus against massive streaming sites is very difficult. Remember each hash costs $ from the network. To protect against individuals and institutions who may have incentives to disrupt Opus (Look into Ropsten network attacks) we would need a secure chain and Eth main chain is the go to solutions, especially with respect to those upcomming EIPs

zaisha

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:00:49 AM

I will invest as much as I can afford.Hope everything goes well.thanks.
shileiya

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:31:51 AM

I have joined the signature campaign and I have invested them In order to have more profit, we are willing to support the music project. I like their projects。
xingzhankwe

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:57:48 AM

I have joined the signature campaign and I have invested them In order to have more profit, we are willing to support the music project. I like their projects。
Hopefully many investors are interested to buy some tokens here, and music in my opinion is something interesting to follow the development
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 12:08:07 PM

Hopefully many investors are interested to buy some tokens here, and music in my opinion is something interesting to follow the development
giving the investors a lots of information regarding to what will happen after the ico will bring them so much interest as we see that music
business will be unique now in term of crypto industry and it will bring a lots of opportunities from both ends.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 107 »
  Print  

Jump to: