Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:22:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
ByteFree

Activity: 630
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:51:54 PM

I can`t understand, why the devs make *shitty 1MB* Why they did`t set it about 2MB or maybe 20MB? What are they target?

The idea is to "grow" the size with the "technology", to keep your blockchain on a portable device, to keep it "democratic" and "decentralized". The original idea was not for Bitcoin to replace Visa in transaction processing.

If you make it 20MB, the limit will be reached in no time (by attacks or otherwise).  And you'll be facing the same problem.

Making it "unlimited" is doomed for failure.  Positive feedback, really.  You are not solving the underlying problem: how to control the growth.

The algorithm should control the human behavior, i.e. how users use Bitcoin, not the other way around.

You do not adjust the algorithm to accommodate user wants/wishes.  Algorithm should dictate how the Bitcoin will grow or be used.

The support for "unlimited" blocks is strong enough to fracture bitcoin into two currencies.  That is fine.  Just wait to see the "unlimited version" fail, naturally.  I think the core developers got this right, very mature of them.  They are not some yahoos who learned how to code in their parents basements.

Not to worry, keep your chain/wallet on a portable device, offline, and you'll be fine.  In worse case, you'll end up with two chains/wallets.

After this is over, the price of bitcoin core will zoom to new heights.

Thanks for post) no more questions. Hope we go to future)
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MyMoneyShark

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 08/14/17

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 02:47:41 PM

So if Electrum alright with all kinds of forks, so how to get all kinds of BTC forks under control and sell all forks then?

SpectivVR                                                Crowdsale: 8/14 - 9/4
VR Streaming Platform & Attention Markets                  [ Website ]
BitcoinTalk  |  Slack  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  Medium  |  Facebook  |  Instagram
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 02:55:05 PM

Hold your coins until the dust settles. If there is a fork and one coin doesn't die, then exchanges will start to list one of them as an altcoin, like with ETH and ETC.
kokoriko

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 02:56:41 PM

Could someone make a list of the safe wallets? And maybe also pin it on the first message of the topic starter!

i am now downloading a bootstrap.dat file in order to sync up my fresh Bitcoin-Qt installation with the network.

If electrum is in the list of the "safe" wallets, how is it safe since it might be using the "wrong" blockchain after the possible split? Or is it just because it lets me extract the private keys and therefore i am able to use them in any type of wallet i want anyway?

highly appreciate your quick insighful reply because i need to move fast (i suppose)

Electrum has said they will support all forks if forks happen.

However that doesn't really matter. You must own the private key of your BTC, that's what matters.

If a fork happens and survives, you will look at the wallet situation at that moment, and use the right one.

Whatever wallet you're using now will have to be upgraded anyway.

So electrum is fine? I can drop my downloading Bitcoin-Qt action?
Chandu141

Activity: 385
Merit: 251

Your Campaign Manager!

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 04:05:47 PM

i am keeping my btc on core wallet V0.14.2 and i see this Warning: Unknown block versions being mined! It's possible unknown rules are in effect

are my coins safe on my local core wallet ??

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 05:21:17 PM

i am keeping my btc on core wallet V0.14.2 and i see this Warning: Unknown block versions being mined! It's possible unknown rules are in effect
read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2027513.0

yes.

psihotoc

Activity: 683

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:04:04 PM

A lot of useful information learned for himself. Thank you for creating this topic!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
captainmilko

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:35:48 PM

any idea what coins will be best as an alternative to bitcoin im asking because i sore my coins in ripple gate hub and dont want to lose my earnings. i know you can exchange ripple to bitcoin in gate hub eek im lost
lisasteca

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 07:16:39 PM

hope it will be fine with the split but at this moment i did invest all my btc on litecoin! hope i did the right choise. goodluck to everyone
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 07:40:26 PM

I added a list of OK wallets.

Although you should technically be able to get your keys from all of them, some of them might require a third-party tool, and I wanted to indicate those with italics. But I only briefly searched through their source code. Can someone who actually uses them confirm that there is a backup/export option for Electrum on mobile, Mycelium, Copay, Bitcoin Wallet for Android, breadwallet, ArcBit on desktop, and Bither on desktop; and that there is not a backup/export option for Bither on mobile, ArcBit on mobile, and coin.space?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Chandu141

Your Campaign Manager!

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:04:05 PM

read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2027513.0

yes.

Thank you for telling me the good news sir.

Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 08:27:37 PM

Hi. If i have my bitcoin passphrase stored(backup) my bitcoin are safe for recover/spend after 1 August?
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 08:39:26 PM

http://segwit.co/ does it tells real stats?Does it mean only 43% miners signalled activation of segwit up to now?
bs.glory

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:57:09 PM

Why is it that coins.ph are not included here? Although it is a good sum up of what is happening for chain split in your thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2012799.0) Thank you very much. Smiley
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 10:09:47 PM

I added a list of OK wallets.

Although you should technically be able to get your keys from all of them, some of them might require a third-party tool, and I wanted to indicate those with italics. But I only briefly searched through their source code. Can someone who actually uses them confirm that there is a backup/export option for Electrum on mobile, Mycelium, Copay, Bitcoin Wallet for Android, breadwallet, ArcBit on desktop, and Bither on desktop; and that there is not a backup/export option for Bither on mobile, ArcBit on mobile, and coin.space?

Hello

Thanks for the list.
Under web wallets I do not see https://wallet.counterwallet.io/
although it can export the private keys.

Is this wallet also OK or is there any particular reason why it should not be used
even if the private keys can be exported?

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 11:06:26 PM

Under web wallets I do not see https://wallet.counterwallet.io/
although it can export the private keys.

Is this wallet also OK or is there any particular reason why it should not be used
even if the private keys can be exported?

I only listed wallets that made it through the bitcoin.org wallet review process. Other wallets might or might not be OK, though I wouldn't recommend other wallets to people just starting out, at least. If you can export your private keys, then it should be OK from the perspective of the Aug 1 thing, though I don't know anything about its safety in other areas.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
schyter

Merit: 257

Open to any CryptoBusiness idea you have for Ghana

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 11:26:13 PM

If you like me and you cannot download the bitcoin desktop wallet, can you use the private keys( from a paper wallet or blockchain.info) to get both cryptos from both chains in the event of a chain split?
what about the android wallet of bitcoin?

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 01:15:06 AM

I have the private keys for multibit HD. Will that work out for me well?
Probably not. MultiBit HD does not allow you to choose which nodes you are connected to so you won't be able to choose which chain you want to use and transact on. It does not provide the (slightly) advanced functionality required to split your coins either.
As long as you have the private keys wouldn't you be able to import that to another wallet post split? 

tekyboy

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

TekyBoy Crypto Services

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2017, 01:25:30 AM

Usual precise and detailed info. Well done and keep it up

aiying715

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 02:06:43 AM

Hi all,

I store my btc on blockchain(blockchain.info),but I wrote my private keys down in paper,both WIF and Base58 format.Is it safe during 1 Aug spilt?Thanks for reply!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: