Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:47:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ripple™ is against everything Bitcoin  (Read 45537 times)
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:47:38 PM

That Ripple only allows you to exchange fiat IOUs, not actual fiat, is an important point to note. OpenCoin has changed the point of Ripple. The original Ripple idea was that your debt would be routed through actual people and ending at somebody that you know. That way you could just give them money or get it from them in person with no hassle. With OpenCoin's Ripple you're supposed to trust gateways which are basically just banks. Routing through the Ripple network may be free(ish) but withdrawing from a gateway won't be.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 11:56:41 PM

Ripple is not a scam, but my contentions with Ripple are the following:
<snip>
Ultimately, competition in cryptocurrency land is good. I have great respect for the OpenCoin developers, and Ripple is certainly not a scam, but I remain unconvinced of the system's ultimate merit.
All of your criticisms are factually accurate, and I agree that these are the strongest negatives that Ripple has. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and that there are ways to mitigate all of these issues. But these are definitely fair points as Ripple currently stands. For many of them, my response would be -- wait and see.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:31:46 AM

<snip>
Ultimately, competition in cryptocurrency land is good. I have great respect for the OpenCoin developers, and Ripple is certainly not a scam, but I remain unconvinced of the system's ultimate merit.
All of your criticisms are factually accurate, and I agree that these are the strongest negatives that Ripple has. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and that there are ways to mitigate all of these issues. But these are definitely fair points as Ripple currently stands. For many of them, my response would be -- wait and see.

If you agree then why do I still see "open" and "any currency" on Ripple's front page? How about "open (when we feel like it)" and "any kind of IOU"? Truth in advertising goes a long way.

While you're at it you could let us know why you tried so hard at the beginning to convince everyone that XRP wasn't a currency. It's almost as if you knew they'd treat you like every other pre-miner.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:36:41 AM

<snip>

I think that's a very fair response. I look forward to what you guys are doing.
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:43:19 AM

As it is debt, they can print as much as they want, when they want. (Aka debasing).

Sounds familiar  Undecided
datz

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

"to survive, we must live and fly"

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:00:24 AM

<snip>

If you agree then why do I still see "open" and "any currency" on Ripple's front page? How about "open (when we feel like it)" and "any kind of IOU"? Truth in advertising goes a long way.

While you're at it you could let us know why you tried so hard at the beginning to convince everyone that XRP wasn't a currency. It's almost as if you knew they'd treat you like every other pre-miner.
why?
wait and see.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 02:41:33 AM

If you want to repeat the same points I've already addressed, please don't style them as a question to me, as if I haven't already answered them several times. You already know my answers. If you're so big on honesty, honestly say that you disagree with my positions, rather than asking me to repeat them yet again as if I've never responded to these points.

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:46:43 AM

If you want to repeat the same points I've already addressed, please don't style them as a question to me, as if I haven't already answered them several times. You already know my answers. If you're so big on honesty, honestly say that you disagree with my positions, rather than asking me to repeat them yet again as if I've never responded to these points.

I've reviewed the post history of anti-scam and have concluded that this person is either unwilling or unable to participate in any sort of rational discourse. I put them on ignore. It seems they created the account just to bad-mouth Ripple.
datz

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:10:59 AM

I've reviewed the post history of anti-scam and have concluded that this person is either unwilling or unable to participate in any sort of rational discourse. I put them on ignore. It seems they created the account just to bad-mouth Ripple.

is anti-scam affiliated with http://ripplescam.org/? this backlash against Ripple is quite ridiculous. some people like anti-scam have this 0 | 1 - Ripple | Bitcoin mindset probably because they do not have the capacity to understand what problems the Ripple protocol solves. It would be a shame if Ripple failed due to relativist extremists and Bitcoin yuppies.
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:24:19 AM

antiscam is probably being paid by TradeFortress and the vehemence with which both oppose ripple makes me think that one or both of them is the originator of ripplescam.org.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:34:42 AM

I see the most blind Ripple hate coming from miners. I suppose Ripple is seen by some as a threat to the value of mining.

Not only do I agree with Erik Voorhees (the epitome of a Bitcoin bull) that in a general sense competition is always good. I also feel Bitcoin and Ripple are allies in a competition that's happening in a bigger arena than most people are aware of.

"A Billion dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool? A trillion dollars." - Nameface

Also, some people say Ripple is "just trying to be a better Paypal". Can someone please explain to me WTF is wrong that? We need that yesterday.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:40:45 AM

antiscam is probably being paid by TradeFortress and the vehemence with which both oppose ripple makes me think that one or both of them is the originator of ripplescam.org.
I thought TradeFortress was known to be the originator of ripplescam.org?
At least that's what I thought when I saw his old sig pop-up with "Ripple is a scam!" in a huge font linking to that site hahaha
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:45:18 AM

is anti-scam affiliated with http://ripplescam.org/? this backlash against Ripple is quite ridiculous. some people like anti-scam have this 0 | 1 - Ripple | Bitcoin mindset probably because they do not have the capacity to understand what problems the Ripple protocol solves. It would be a shame if Ripple failed due to relativist extremists and Bitcoin yuppies.

I'm new here but it seems like the signal to noise on this particular topic really varies. It wouldn't hurt people to just up their game.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
datz

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:54:34 AM

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:07:36 AM

<snip>

I suggest everyone keep their money out of ripple and wait and see.

So far I don't see anything of real use that is > Bitcoin model in the ripple system.

Let's wait and see.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 05:12:34 AM

So far I don't see anything of real use that is > Bitcoin model in the ripple system.
Less than one minute transactions. Federating payment systems. Cross-currency payments. Exchanges. Community credit.

But fundamentally, I think you're comparing in a way that doesn't make sense. Bitcoin and Ripple are trying to solve completely different problems. If you ask "does Ripple solve the problem Bitcoin solves any better", then the answer is "no". But that's because Ripple isn't trying to solve the same problems Bitcoin solves.

I don't see Bitcoin and Ripple ever competing like Coke and Pepsi where each gain for one is a loss for the other. Merchants that accept payments on Ripple will be merchants you can pay with Bitcoins. Users drawn to Ripple by our marketing will be able to easily buy and sell Bitcoins. And so on.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:26:54 AM

Less than one minute transactions. Federating payment systems. Cross-currency payments. Exchanges. Community credit.

But fundamentally, I think you're comparing in a way that doesn't make sense. Bitcoin and Ripple are trying to solve completely different problems. If you ask "does Ripple solve the problem Bitcoin solves any better", then the answer is "no". But that's because Ripple isn't trying to solve the same problems Bitcoin solves.

I don't see Bitcoin and Ripple ever competing like Coke and Pepsi where each gain for one is a loss for the other. Merchants that accept payments on Ripple will be merchants you can pay with Bitcoins. Users drawn to Ripple by our marketing will be able to easily buy and sell Bitcoins. And so on.

So OP's title actually makes sense, right?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:06:19 AM

Of course it makes sense. Ripple has all the critical problems Bitcoin was designed to solve.

mjosephs

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:12:49 AM

Thank you for pulling together all of this important information in an easy-to-access place.

I would like to make a donation to ripplescam.org in recognition of this valuable public service.

Your website mentions donations, but I was unable to locate a bitcoin address anywhere on ripplescam.org.  Please consider posting one.

datz

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:15:27 AM

Of course it makes sense. Ripple has all the critical problems Bitcoin was designed to solve.

young one, Ripple and Bitcoin are two sides of the same coin. without yin there is no yang. you will eat your words with time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: