Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:23:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Join a pooled bitcoin mining effort  (Read 53323 times)
mestar

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 05:25:50 PM

Good point BitLex.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
puddinpop

Activity: 103
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 06:31:00 PM

Bitcoin as a protocol can handle sub cents perfectly fine.  In fact, the generation of such blocks demonstrates that capability.  The issue is with the GUI when selecting which transactions to include in new transactions and then ignoring the sub cents left over.  The 0.01 fee is for entire transactions less than 0.01, correct?  So you should be able to include as many sub 0.01 inputs as needed to get over the 0.01, or use a larger input transaction with sub cents, and get the correct sub cent change back.

Anyway, since the source of the pooled server is open, you can easily change the generation behavior if it doesn't suit you.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12977

View Profile
December 27, 2010, 02:11:44 AM

The 0.01 fee is for entire transactions less than 0.01, correct?

No. It applies if any output is less than 0.01.

Bitcoin could choose coins intelligently to reduce the number of bitcoins thrown away, but it doesn't, so sub-cent amounts are nearly worthless currently.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
December 27, 2010, 04:21:17 AM

Honestly, given the current exchange rates, I could care less about the sub-cents issue.  There isn't a USD coin small enough to represent the maximum possible loss you can get from using one generation method over the other at this point.  It would take 4 instances of generating 0.00999999 BTC (and thus actually getting 0.00) to equal a penny that you should have gotten but didn't.  The most I've ever seen one penny buy is 12 minutes at a parking meter in a small town.  It's a non-issue.

If (and probably when) Bitcoins become worth more per unit of local currency, then perhaps that argument will be a bit more valid.  Until that happens, people need to find better arguments to support their side of the issue.  Nothing wrong with people using the method they happen to like better, or whichever server happens to be up at the moment, etc.
puddinpop

Activity: 103
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 27, 2010, 03:18:24 PM

The 0.01 fee is for entire transactions less than 0.01, correct?

No. It applies if any output is less than 0.01.

Bitcoin could choose coins intelligently to reduce the number of bitcoins thrown away, but it doesn't, so sub-cent amounts are nearly worthless currently.

Alright, so there really is no reason why the current client couldn't determine the best inputs so that <0.01 wouldn't happen unless there are no other better transactions available.

Help needed for rpcminer

Questions about the RPC miners should go in the RPC miners thread.

fabianhjr

Activity: 322

Do The Evolution

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 04:59:00 AM

Anyone knows what's wrong with 91.121.29.91? Had been offline for 3 days now. :/

cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 03:01:04 AM

Anyone knows what's wrong with 91.121.29.91? Had been offline for 3 days now. :/

I'd like to know too. Time is money here. There's no excuse for this.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2011, 10:05:53 AM

Could anyone volunteer to run a new server?
FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
January 03, 2011, 09:10:32 PM

Could anyone volunteer to run a new server?

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976.0

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2011, 09:24:53 PM

I'd like to know too. Time is money here. There's no excuse for this.

No excuse needed. Feel free to give us a server to connect to yourself.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 10:08:01 PM

I'm trying to get into this pool mining but I cant find an easy way to set one up. Im in win7, is there a GUI that makes this easier for people like me? This client seems easy to use, but theres no server. Other clients are a little too complex for me.
schmidt.kendra1

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:02:41 PM

I'm trying to get into this pool mining but I cant find an easy way to set one up. Im in win7, is there a GUI that makes this easier for people like me? This client seems easy to use, but theres no server. Other clients are a little too complex for me.

Bitjet,

I knew nothing about pool mining, until last night, and I am also running Windows 7 with an ATI 5770.

Following the instructions (see the section titled "How to Start") on https://deepbit.net/, I was up and running in about 30 minutes.

I had to download the OpenCL drivers from ATI's website, before I could use my GPU, and I used the GUIMiner to handle all the command line options for me. I found the GUIminer by following the link, on this post: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=1334.0, under the heading "GUI."

I'm certainly no expert, but having been successful so recently, you're welcome to ask any specific questions you might have while setting it up.

Good luck!

P.S. By the way, I used the Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer at http://www.geeks3d.com/20090414/gpu-caps-viewer-170-available-with-cuda-support/ to monitor the temperature of my GPU while I set it up. I found that adding "-s0.01" to the "Extra flags" field, gave me a little peace of mind, at a cost of about 10Mh/s. I may remove that, as it seems the GPUs fan is doing a good job of keeping up with the temperature. (Despite my signature, it seems I'm averaging about 120Mh/s... don't know why the signature shows less.)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: