Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:26:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of Alt-Coins  (Read 4524 times)
KrLos

Activity: 768
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:07:50 AM

Well ithink you forget NMC.. xD

It's a good coin, nice technology, and just 10 millions, and each time a domain is created well, 0.01 is destroyed.. so... i think this coin maybe will have great value...

maybe i'm wrong xD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:10:46 AM

Well ithink you forget NMC.. xD

It's a good coin, nice technology, and just 10 millions, and each time a domain is created well, 0.01 is destroyed.. so... i think this coin maybe will have great value...

maybe i'm wrong xD

Namecoin is a differnet animal.  It attempts to deliberately serve a niche market (domain name services) in a novel way, and does not attempt to compete with Bitcoin as a general medium of exchange.  All the others are trying to compete with Bitcoin in it's own world.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:11:21 AM

Alt coins are getting like those late night infomercials you see on TV peddling instant beauty/fitness and other snake oil.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:12:07 AM

Alt coins are getting like those late night infomercials you see on TV peddling instant beauty/fitness and other snake oil.

ShamWowCoin!

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 02:47:36 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet. There are now so many alt-coins that it has become the same thing as hyperinflation. The value of alt-coins is trending towards zero. Great job guys!  Grin

I still intend to launch ThirdCoin, around 2016-11-11T03:57:33Z (estimated time of the next Bitcoin halving).  Thirdcoin will have a testnet, which I should probably launch earlier.

In the meantime, I still like Bytecoin, Terracoin, and BBQcoin.  I'll probably be happy to facilitate trades in lots of different coins, but that's a lot of blockchains to maintain.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:51:38 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet. There are now so many alt-coins that it has become the same thing as hyperinflation. The value of alt-coins is trending towards zero. Great job guys!  Grin

I still intend to launch ThirdCoin, around 2016-11-11T03:57:33Z (estimated time of the next Bitcoin halving).  Thirdcoin will have a testnet, which I should probably launch earlier.

When I see the improvements from FirstCoin to SecondCoin. I literally can't wait for ThirdCoin.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:10:15 PM

Moar like TurdCoin amirite?
Thracky

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:40:38 AM

The thing that makes me laugh is that some of these alt coins are literally turning into circlejerking cults where the leaders make large profits and the idiots that follow them will eventually lose.

Mincoin is a prime example of this. An unheard of developer (which is obviously an alias for someone else) releases a coin by way of proxy (SuperTramp) Over the first 8 hours (which was supposed to be 3 days) 9.36% of all the coins that will ever exist were mined.  How long will it take for the next 936000 coins to be mined?  325 days given the block target of 1 minute and 2880 coins mined per day. Seems a tad lopsided.

What happened after that?  A new exchange shows up to support it, the owner of that exchange starts giving away money to people who spam about Mincoin in various places, and now gives away 10 MNC for simply making a trade on said exchange, encouraging pointless trading, and we now have a solid collection of ridiculous people who seem to want the same kind of gratification and sense of belonging that a cult provides. zacho56 runs a silly blog (and apparently has a drug problem, and uses the same nickname everywhere on the internet), tyler of altclub profits from prostitution, vipah, who obviously holds a lot of mincoin, will go ape shit on anyone who wants to discuss the facts about how ridiculous the early mining bonuses were.  You can clearly see people who hold leadership roles and people who can't see what's going on, or don't care because they feel part of something.

People are being scammed into throwing more of their money into this coin, not realizing that the only reason it's going up is because hardly anyone is mining it (and even if they were, the amounts are irrelevant compared to the early adopters) and their tiny little community keeps putting more money into the system of maybe 4-500 users (blatant guesstimate, I have no data to back that up ;-)

whew. had to get that out. Smiley
efx

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:55:59 AM

^ I've noticed those names too. They behave exactly as you said.

Wanna know something even more enlightening? The guy running the exchange is none other than the well known scammer 'RealSolid'. He abused his control over the centralized solidcoin (suddenly reduce block rewards to under .1 SC per block 'thereby increasing the value of SC already in circulation), and also scammed his own delusional little followers out of 250 BTC so he could release microscam. Of course, he's nearly as late as BFL.

These people have but one objective: helping themselves to the money of anyone who is foolish enough to follow.
Thracky

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:01:19 AM

^ I've noticed those names too. They behave exactly as you said.

Wanna know something even more enlightening? The guy running the exchange is none other than the well known scammer 'RealSolid'. He abused his control over the centralized solidcoin (suddenly reduce block rewards to under .1 SC per block 'thereby increasing the value of SC already in circulation), and also scammed his own delusional little followers out of 250 BTC so he could release microscam. Of course, he's nearly as late as BFL.

These people have but one objective: helping themselves to the money of anyone who is foolish enough to follow.

I am fully aware of the owner, I refrained from mentioning it because I didn't want this to turn into a RS hate thread.  I used to have respect for him, I was an early adopter/supporter of solidcoin, and I'm now just realizing I was just another person he sucked in to his little games. Tongue

Also, I have this sinking feeling that SandyCohen (mincoin dev) is actually him.  Why else would he just show up again and make an exchange for it?

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:06:39 AM

There was some thread not long ago that seemed to imply the MicroCrash scam might be starting up again too.

To do with that same exchange also, advising to move your solidcoins there ready to trade them in for MicroCrash coins.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Thracky

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:10:12 AM

There was some thread not long ago that seemed to imply the MicroCrash scam might be starting up again too.

To do with that same exchange also, advising to move your solidcoins there ready to trade them in for MicroCrash coins.

-MarkM-

I just dumped the last of my solidcoins there, I'm done with his crap.

efx

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:21:59 AM

Ah I gotcha, many smart people have been pulled into his games. On balance, he wasn't entirely wrong or without good ideas, just not trustworthy. Unfortunately someone has to take the loss for everyone (I wish) else to learn . Sad

On the nose, RS has instructed people to do just that. Apparently, MNC is just there for 'testing purposes' in preparation for microscam. '1/1 sc/mc' seems to be the exchange plan...That's gonna be an awesome premine.
Thracky

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:29:19 AM

On the nose, RS has instructed people to do just that. Apparently, MNC is just there for 'testing purposes' in preparation for microscam. '1/1 sc/mc' seems to be the exchange plan...That's gonna be an awesome premine.

There's no mining at all for microcash actually, it'll be some random investment thing where you invest your coins for 10 rounds in which there's a 50/50 chance it could increase or decrease each round.

I agree that he's had some good ideas, but he's just so goddamn manipulative, I can't trust a thing he says as being fact.

efx

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:34:30 AM

Interesting. However, wouldn't the SC already in existence be equivalent to an 'mc premine'? Except with this model, all you have is a 'premine' and then a chance to gamble on what amounts to a coin toss...

Perhaps I am mistaken. If not...Damn, that sounds really bad.
Thracky

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:44:26 AM

Interesting. However, wouldn't the SC already in existence be equivalent to an 'mc premine'? Except with this model, all you have is a 'premine' and then a chance to gamble on what amounts to a coin toss...

Perhaps I am mistaken. If not...Damn, that sounds really bad.

That's exactly what it is.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 05:35:44 AM

Unless your alt-coin offers something truly innovative, it won't succeed.
It's a bit comical, really.

That's interesting considering the number of first person shooters that ripped off Quake for years now. I was involved in creating one of the original add-on packs and THOSE ideas have been redefined for years. The only comedy is when very tight knit communities believe their narrow view of a technology is the same as the general public.  There's been quite a few games (like ROTT) that really broke away from the mold and still didn't reach it's potential on sales.

Visa, Mastercard, American Express... what's the difference? Ask the nerds, the rest of the public are too busy using the product to care.

I respect your opinion, I just think this bubble needs to step outside and see what really matters to people.  For now, the crypto community controls the price on everything but Bitcoin... hopefully that will change when some break through like Bitcoin.

++1

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:44:52 AM

That's interesting considering the number of first person shooters that ripped off Quake for years now. I was involved in creating one of the original add-on packs and THOSE ideas have been redefined for years.

This is not a video game.  The value in quake knockofffs was original maps and cheaper access to the platform, but in the end it was still just entertainment.  People do and will take real money/value much more seriously.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 05:49:17 AM

It is kind of amusing that we now have all these currencies and exchanges just like I wanted in my game, but without even a game to put them in, they are game enough all by themselves no one cares that there aren't game nations and races and species and so on behind the coins, just the bare forex-type game itself all by itself is quite game enough to attract lots of players!

Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:54:18 PM

That's interesting considering the number of first person shooters that ripped off Quake for years now. I was involved in creating one of the original add-on packs and THOSE ideas have been redefined for years.

This is not a video game.  The value in quake knockofffs was original maps and cheaper access to the platform, but in the end it was still just entertainment.  People do and will take real money/value much more seriously.

"but in the end it was still just entertainment."

Incorrect, that market helped evolve a very competitive market for 'pro' gamers.  I only use the word pro in relation to profit.

"People do"

Have you seen how some of the kids speak around here? They certainly speak and act just like the early fps gaming forums and what I would suspect is still going on in a regular basis.

"and will"

In some segments (especially Bitcoin), I would agree.   If you don't think this is treated like some type of game by the majority of posters, you haven't read the [ANN] in alt crypto lately. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: