Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:10:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox should be arrested  (Read 10584 times)
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:49:59 AM

If the police are involved, then a case number should be provided...

1.  I do not trust the police.
2.  Nobody forced anyone to use MtGox!  The issue here is the one between MtGox and the hacker...

Maybe you should go: "Oh I was really stupid. I used a fucking weak password, and I put all my money in one place, I must be a genius!"

One off NP-Hard.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
silverman

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:54:03 AM

2.  Nobody forced anyone to use MtGox!  The issue here is the one between MtGox and the hacker...

Don't we wish!

BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:55:47 AM

That was probably the worst move of MtGox and Britcoin. You don't go to the LE, LE comes to you.
You hire lawyers, not fill job applications for weasel.
What was that idea all about?

"Hello dear Feds, I'm M'Tux, had watch too many movies and my dream is to become a weasel. Drop by anytime for an open database party."?!

I'm pretty sure you step on too many toes with that idea. Don't know if all this mess is related, but might well be.
Really got me astonished when I saw it on the news.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Batouzo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:56:43 AM

Maybe you should go: "Oh I was really stupid. I used a fucking weak password, and I put all my money in one place, I must be a genius!"

Actually, many accounts could be hacked not just the ones with so week passwords it would seem.

Anyway, the problem is also what with people that bought normally say @14 or @12 - they are also being rolled back it seems?

Sweft (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:57:13 AM

If fraud was committed, it's irrelevant.  Fraud was committed.  Legal proceedings should proceed and parties should be judged as so.

So basically by your analysis it's irrelevant whether or not MtGox stole money, because users decided to sign up?  
triforcelink

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:20:34 AM

How about we wait for mtgox to reopen before we start throwing all this shit around? If they truly want to stay in business, then lying to the bitcoin community is one of the last things they would want to do.

Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:29:27 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 03:51:26 AM by Epinnoia

How about we wait for mtgox to reopen before we start throwing all this shit around? If they truly want to stay in business, then lying to the bitcoin community is one of the last things they would want to do.

If they truly want to stay in business, then they certainly must understand that their customers expect verification of their claims.  A photocopy of a police report would be a wonderful start.  Otherwise, I expect them to lose a tremendous number of their customer base (and, therefore, holdings) shortly after they re-open.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
bitbot

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:43:08 AM

It's hilarious that all these hyper-libertarians are running their asses off to get the government involved in private enterprise.  Just call Atlas with his private army.

last I heard he was trying to set up a legion and maybe had some guys with mutant powers being recruited

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:03:06 AM

If they truly want to stay in business, then they certainly must understand that their customers expect verification of their claims.  A photocopy of a police report would be a wonderful start.  Otherwise, I expect them to lose a tremendous number of their customer base (and, therefore, holdings) shortly after they re-open.

Yep.

Where is the evidence?

MtGox?
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 04:10:21 AM

Or they could, you know, work on fixing the problems, reopening accounts, and restoring people's money, instead of answering self-aggrandizing troll posts. Let them work and give them time. Sheesh.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:25:37 AM

That was probably the worst move of MtGox and Britcoin. You don't go to the LE, LE comes to you.
You hire lawyers, not fill job applications for weasel.
What was that idea all about?

"Hello dear Feds, I'm M'Tux, had watch too many movies and my dream is to become a weasel. Drop by anytime for an open database party."?!

I'm pretty sure you step on too many toes with that idea. Don't know if all this mess is related, but might well be.
Really got me astonished when I saw it on the news.

Would you be so kind as to translate this -- say, into English?  I don't understand 90% of what you just said -- I feel like I came in to the middle of a conversation.

Thank you,

Matthew
fireside

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:39:36 AM

It's hilarious that all these hyper-libertarians are running their asses off to get the government involved in private enterprise.  Just call Atlas with his private army.
I'm not a libertarian, you fuck.

Atlas is at least rational in this respect, i give him credit for him.

He's not a fucking lunatic like you religious fanatics who believe everything you're told.  You deserve to lose all of your bitcoins because you're so fucking stupid the fucking apes would rule you if it wasn't for the ubermensch.

How anyone can trust MtGox is a lesson in delusions.

wow talk about nerd rage....
Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:48:44 AM

Or they could, you know, work on fixing the problems, reopening accounts, and restoring people's money, instead of answering self-aggrandizing troll posts. Let them work and give them time. Sheesh.

It would take only a couple minutes to scan a police report, and upload it somewhere public.  I don't think it is asking too much for those couple of minutes to be spent in this way.  It's not an either/or situation.  They can provide documentation of their claims, as well as fix the problems.  In fact, I would expect that their programmers would continue fixing the problems, while their non-programmers do the scanning.  

MtGox has said that criminal proceedings are underway.  Why is it asking too much for them to prove that to be true?

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:52:44 AM

WHERE IS THE POLICE REPORT?
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:17:54 AM

This is potentially a 5-10m heist.  No one knows what's going on.  

This should open up lawsuits and criminal proceedings.  We don't know if MtGox stole it or what his intentions were.  We don't know ANYTHING.

You guys are blind religious fanatics for trusting this idiot.  I hope he contacts the FBI.  He's at least negligent and worst, a criminal.

We already have criminal proceedings in process against whoever did the hack.

Responded to that one pretty quick now didn't you Wink

Less than ~3 minutes.
Capitan

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:42:10 AM

This is potentially a 5-10m heist.  No one knows what's going on. 

This should open up lawsuits and criminal proceedings.  We don't know if MtGox stole it or what his intentions were.  We don't know ANYTHING.

You guys are blind religious fanatics for trusting this idiot.  I hope he contacts the FBI.  He's at least negligent and worst, a criminal.

We already have criminal proceedings in process against whoever did the hack.

I'd like to see this statement verified by a journalist. Better yet, several journalists. Hopefully the NPR Planet Money folks are still doing their research on their Bitcoin episode and get a chance to contact Mt.Gox and/or whatever authorities that MtGox might have filed with to verify whether or not there is actually a criminal report filed.

Not that I don't believe MtGox's statements. But I have become very wary of bitcoin after learning that a lot of HYIP's follow the pump & dump pattern, and mysteriously get "hacked" or have their funds "stolen" and are never heard from again. I read about that maybe 2-3 days before this weekend's crash and had already become somewhat suspicious of certain public personae of Bitcoin, and MtGox.

Not saying that those people have done anything shady, just saying that upon learning about that HYIP fraud pattern, one naturally  wants to plug the bitcoin players into the pattern to see how much of those fraud patterns might be in place with Bitcoin. So I just plugged in a few players. Think who is out there publicizing bitcoin, but also doing it in a way that almost 100% focuses on how much Bitcoin WILL be worth in the future. That element of the equation definitely exists here. And now we have these hacks and crashes. It's still too early to tell if the scenario is playing out, but this weekend it certainly became a much more realistic possibility.

BBanzai

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:52:06 AM

Caveat emptor.  Do not invest money that you are not willing to lose.  Do not complain if you lose when playing a game, do not part with money in a game that you actually need in real life.  Do NOT call the cops when you are playing with untaxable money.  Those boys in blue only get paid when you pay your taxes.  If you expect to make a fortune from gambling instead of from producing real value, you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.  I hope it hurt bad to be stupid and greedy.  That would be just.
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:52:43 AM

How exactly are threads like this supposed to help anyone ?

Believe me, i'm also unhappy with what happened at mtgox. But in this particular case i do believe they are doing their best to restore trust. Leave Britney alone! Wink
Capitan

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:06:34 AM

Caveat emptor.  Do not invest money that you are not willing to lose.  Do not complain if you lose when playing a game, do not part with money in a game that you actually need in real life.  Do NOT call the cops when you are playing with untaxable money.  Those boys in blue only get paid when you pay your taxes.  If you expect to make a fortune from gambling instead of from producing real value, you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.  I hope it hurt bad to be stupid and greedy.  That would be just.

The money is taxable, it is simply up to everyone involved to report their earnings/losses. I have made $0 off of bitcoins to date, but in every conceivable future in which I theoretically made money off them, one of my chief thoughts was how to report that on my taxes. Not everyone is a dirty lawbreaking criminal.

Tons of people seem pissed at the idea of LE coming in to investigate the hack. I see it as the only possible way to get satisfactory resolution to the matter. I reiterate that I would like to see some journalistic verifications of all the claims made by Gox and Kevin, including what type of report(s) has been filed, and at which law enforcement agencies they were filed at.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:43:02 AM

I would ask that people give MagicalTux a break... He has been doing a wonderful job considering.   I would ask you also to stop making judgements with no evidence.

No evidence : this is exactly where the problem is.
MtGox claims that they involved the FBI, they claim that the sell order that hit the market was involving the position of a single account...
Yet they din't show any evidence to support their claims.
We don't even know who is the lucky beneficiary of the USD 8M rollback (everybody's account info leaked, many people got stollen their balance, now people who traded during the flash crash have their trades rolled back, and the biggest counterpart Kevin is publicly blamed... On the other hand, the big account holder whose position created the flash crash and maybe also previous market moves keeps both his money and his privacy: call that a fair way of handling the situation...)

I don't have a side in this story and am ready to believe MtGx if they show some evidence to support their claims ans disclose what they know.
Forcing a rollback without giving clear and sound explanations is robbery.

Sure we had the choice not to use/trust MtGox, but that doesn't preclude asking for explanations after the fact. Telling the countrary is just trolling.
If you buy something on ebay and you never get what you paid for, I doubt you will just shrug and tell "well, nevermind, I was wrong to trust this person.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: