Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:15:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Monero, Dash and all anon coins fucked?  (Read 8091 times)
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:26:34 AM

Whats your point being open source?

One more thing:
Ring CT has a single point of failure, once its exploited the whole thing is blown.
What you mean by what is the point? A project that is closed source cannot be audited and you need to trust the developers, a project that is open source can be audited and many talented programmers can tell if there is a bug or a backdoor in the code, being open source is key for any project, especially one like monero.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CraigWrightBTC

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:37:57 AM

Yes, montero is going down. Listen to Shelby, and everyone else. Sell all your xrm to them.

Like like I said with bcx, the only flaw with monero wrt to Shelby this time around is that he doesn't have enough in his pocket.
No i don't think monero and dashcoin are bad for investing because of the price is going down, all of altcoins are always fluctuating its price ( goes up and down), but monero and dashcoin are good for investment, they have uniques fetures. Life or dead altcoins depend on the comunity of altcoins ( Dev team, miners and other), for example we can see dogecoin is still alive until right now.
goin2mars.

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:32:36 PM

Yes, montero is going down. Listen to Shelby, and everyone else. Sell all your xrm to them.

Like like I said with bcx, the only flaw with monero wrt to Shelby this time around is that he doesn't have enough in his pocket.
No i don't think monero and dashcoin are bad for investing because of the price is going down, all of altcoins are always fluctuating its price ( goes up and down), but monero and dashcoin are good for investment, they have uniques fetures. Life or dead altcoins depend on the comunity of altcoins ( Dev team, miners and other), for example we can see dogecoin is still alive until right now.

Apologies, I was having a drink when writing that. I agree, and would in fact love an opportunity to sell a kidney if Monero hit 2.50 ever again. Mostly I was just trying to point out that when it comes to talking down Monero, most people are quite lacking.

Specifically in this latest iteration, I can't imagine a situation where Shelby wasn't capable of linking the facts that there is no zero subsidy in Monero, and there is also an adaptive block size, I give him far more credit than that.

So, I am left with the only thought left, which is that Shelby is once again trying to fleece newbs, like bcx did with his 'monero exploit' two and a half years ago or so.

me before: goo dot gl/QV7mhF
C0A2A1C4
ham
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 10:56:43 PM

Specifically in this latest iteration, I can't imagine a situation where Shelby wasn't capable of linking the facts that there is no zero subsidy in Monero, and there is also an adaptive block size, I give him far more credit than that.

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@anonymint/re-anonymint-re-anonymint-is-monero-s-or-all-anonymity-broken-20170805t222300726z
Fragbait

Activity: 205

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:47:53 PM

All this appears to be a very far-fetched scenario and would very noticeable as the transaction volume spikes up.

Would you notice right now, if for example there was 1 real transaction per block (as probably is likely given the close-to-zero adoption of Monero) and 4 Sybil transactions?

The scenario basically is that the government takes over Monero mining, doing massive number of fake transactions and big data analytics and it's game over.  That goes for every crypto right.

They can purchase the data needed when they need it. Someone else can do the mining and Sybil transactions for profit. Analytics could be done for every crypto (except for Zcash) yes, but it would be especially attractive to do that on a crypto where its users think they are anonymous.

Is it me or is the recent news of WannaCry where every researcher and blockchain analyst said Monero is completely anonymous, it's blockchain is opaque and we can't trace anything resulted in a strategy from FBI, NSA coming up with a strategy to FUD on Monero so it doesn't gain adoption?  

If you had a honeypot, would you say it was or wasn't?
Traxo

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 06:42:46 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2017, 04:59:07 PM by Traxo

Monero receives a more fair treatment in this comment:

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@joewilder/re-anonymint-re-joewilder-re-anonymint-is-monero-s-or-all-anonymity-broken-20170806t152332998z
theheolyn

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 03:14:05 PM

Seems that Monero folk are trying to sweep this under the rug?

I found copies of the posts @fluffypony deleted.
b4h4mu7

Activity: 337
Merit: 315

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:09:11 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2017, 05:29:58 PM by b4h4mu7

Seems that Monero folk are trying to sweep this under the rug?

I found copies of the posts @fluffypony deleted.

Unfortunately this type of censorship campaign is standard operating procedure for the Monero core team. In addition, they also have a long history of engaging in attacks on individuals and competing projects whom they perceived as threats.

Fluffypony recently censored his hired mathematician who goes by the alias "Shen Noether" from their github when he voiced concerns about RingCT. Although he is a mathematician, not a cryptographer, he was the only person involved in Monero capable of contributing anything meaningful to their project.

https://github.com/monero-project/research-lab/issues/4

I personally don't have any respect for Shen or his work due to his involvement in a coordinated attack on the Shadowcash project. Instead of handling things politely like any other academic would he stooped to Fluffy & co's level and contributed to the smear campaign. That said, he still shouldn't be censored for his opinions on the project or his own work toward the project.

Monero has FUD'd and smeared their way to the top market caps without doing anything of major note. I wouldn't be surprised if the DNM that added Monero was part of a larger marketing strategy to get Monero attention. The oasis market was around just long enough to convince AB to add it then as soon as they did it pulled an exit scam. What that tells me or anyone with half a brain is that their sole purpose was to get a legit DNM to add Monero not to service customers.

Maybe FBI reports of looking into Monero is more geared towards that front than the actual codebase. Now with those out of the way and "Shen" no longer contributing it seems the only place Monero can go is downward.
Traxo

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:27:20 PM

seems the only place Monero can go is downward.

Markets can remain irrational for longer than the short can remain solvent.

Burst didn't collapse after this post for example.
It went down tho.
sixexgames

Activity: 406

One Social Network

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2017, 05:47:59 PM

I still think they have tons of potential. I especially like how Dash is able to fund development and marketing.

drlukacs

Activity: 854
Merit: 253

l0tt0.com

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:48:53 PM

Monero, Dash, Zcash and altcoin anonymous are best coin for UG market, why the price of them can't increasing when Bitcoin is fresh cryptocurrency? I don't know the reason the price of them still cheap, special Monero stand still the price 0.015 in long time, from early year until today, it still can't breakout taget 0.03 per coin Angry

WHIRLWIND
|
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
     ▄▄██▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄        █A
    ▄██▀▄██▀▄▀▀▀ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄     █
   ███ ██▀▄▀     ▄▄▀▄▄ ▀█▄   █
  ███ ███ █        ▀▄ █▄ ██  █
  ███ ███ █         █ ██ ██  █
  ███ ███ █        ▄▀ █▀ ██  █
   ███ ██▄▀▄     ▀▀▄▀▀ ▄█▀   █
    ▀██▄▀██▄▀▄▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     █
     ▀▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀        █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  No Fee    Ultimate Privacy  
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
Traxo

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 06:27:47 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2017, 08:15:44 PM by Traxo

Monero, Dash, Zcash and altcoin anonymous are best coin for UG market, why the price of them can't increasing when Bitcoin is fresh cryptocurrency? I don't know the reason the price of them still cheap

No growth in adoption? No surge to keep price moving up. Dark markets likely have a lower ceiling and aren’t likely a growth market, beause illegality doesn’t have good network effects.
When 0.5% of the (criminally inclined) population is trying to network with each other, economies-of-scale are low. Why do ya think Dash branched out into “instant payments”.

Monero stand still the price 0.015 in long time

Did you see this:

Buy the rumor, sell the news of the RingCT spike (see chart) upgrade.
Pattern of 2014 spike and crash to 2015 lows appears to be repeating. Should drop to 0.005 BTC eventually (may have one more spike up first):

supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2017, 06:37:21 PM

Yesterday, Verge Dev proofed on Twitter that Monero user-IPs can be found in the network.. I think Monero is going down.

Passion.
Traxo

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 07:19:54 PM

Yesterday, Verge Dev proofed on Twitter that Monero user-IPs can be found in the network.. I think Monero is going down.

In that blog he dismissed Verge as also being onion routing same as Tor/I2P which are known honeypots.

But on a pure speculative analysis, the XVG chart appears to be in a wedge that is nearing its big move.
Could Verge be the beneficiary of a Monero decline given that Zcash is just too damn slow for payments (up to minutes)?
As I understand it, he had proposed a different way of using the zkSNARKs to make it fast for real-time payments in his project.
If he is correct about Verge onion routing technology being not suitable, then perhaps it will just be a pump that will not sustain?

Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 07:29:26 PM

Monero, Dash, Zcash and altcoin anonymous are best coin for UG market, why the price of them can't increasing when Bitcoin is fresh cryptocurrency? I don't know the reason the price of them still cheap, special Monero stand still the price 0.015 in long time, from early year until today, it still can't breakout taget 0.03 per coin Angry
We dont have any choice and we cant do anything about it. Monero have been known for its complete anonymity but as being said above it can already traced by its IP which is really a shocking thing for me.
Looking back that Bitcoin is commonly used in UG transactions until monero have popped out. If prices would still remain or maintain then demand of it would really be still lesser. If they are already being traced they they are complete fucked up.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2017, 07:41:23 PM

Well, I think it's a difference wheter it is Tor (Honeypot) or a general issue where IPs are easy visible...

Passion.
b4h4mu7

Activity: 337
Merit: 315

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 07:33:00 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2017, 05:00:48 AM by b4h4mu7

We dont have any choice and we cant do anything about it. Monero have been known for its complete anonymity but as being said above it can already traced by its IP which is really a shocking thing for me.
Looking back that Bitcoin is commonly used in UG transactions until monero have popped out. If prices would still remain or maintain then demand of it would really be still lesser. If they are already being traced they they are complete fucked up.

Complete anonymity? This report states over 87% of all transactions were able to be traced back to the real output and their study extends to RingCT. This is what happens when you have a bunch of unqualified developers working on cryptosystems.. It's not completely unexpected though, Fluffypony is the "lead developer" and he isn't even a developer.. he's a troll who's sold the public a bag of shit wrapped up in tinfoil and they believe its platinum.
https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/338.pdf

I spoke with the authors about Boolberry's approach to solving the Cryptonote traceability issue and they stated "its definitely a step in the right direction." One thing to note here is that Boolberry's developer, crypto_zoidberg, launched this fix right out of the gate in 2014. He was able to identify this flaw years before this report was published which leads me to believe he probably had a hand in the creation of the Cryptonote protocol.
https://www.slideshare.net/boolberry/boolberry-solves-cryptonoteflaws-37055246

https://github.com/fluffypony/bitmonero/commit/014708fe71c1379af281ca9ac17e82c159e98e6d

lol Smiley

Monero devs (particular fluffypony) have no idea what they do Smiley

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:32:04 AM

To correct your statement. Monero is most anon and untraceable and fungible cryptocoin in existence. It has long way to achieve an ideal of  "complete anonymity". If that is not just a myth.
On internet you can always be traced by IP unless you change it regularly. Most people know that. that s why there are some programs that change IPs.  This is how some of my friends from Iran was able to play games that was forbidden to be played from Iran.

Verge is a Bitcoin clone that has build in it such program. That is only thing special about it. Bitcoin + hide IP.

Monero dont have hide IP.  Since Monero is not a copy/paste Bitcoin clone it had other priorities so far. But, but but. Kovri is almost here. Hide IP program that will be part of Monero. 

Complete anonymity? This report states over 87% of all transactions were able to be traced back to the real output and their study extends to RingCT. This is what happens when you have a bunch of unqualified developers working on cryptosystems.

Before Ring CT anonymity in Monero was optional and miners ofcourse did not chose their transactions to be anonymous. I find that totally normal. Most coins that try to be anonymous still have such feature to chose to have anon or transparent transaction. They should definitely ready this paper you posted. Oh they wrote it. Then is all good.
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 12:38:06 PM

Seems that the dismissiveness of Monero “experts” has been challenged.
Traxo

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 03:10:02 PM

Kovri is almost here. Hide IP program that will be part of Monero.

He wrote that low-latency onion routing such as Tor and I2P are honeypots.
Why is Monero adding another alleged honeypot technology to their existing alleged honeypot technology?
Whose “expertise” can we trust on any of this?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: