Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:39:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if someone sends Bitcoin Cash to a Bitcoin address?  (Read 3154 times)
dwieyani

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:17:40 AM

All transactions can no longer be used, because bCh and btc have different blockchain that will fail. All the same but there is a difference locked entry.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:22:31 AM

I was wondering what if someone accidentally sends Bitcoin Cash to a Bitcoin address? 
I saw a post in twitter from one of the staff I think of Bittrex that they will not do anything if anyone accidentally sent BTC to a BCC wallet and vise versa. So better be careful in sending those funds and double check the address if address is correct. Don't even bother to open a ticket according to the post. Its irreversible for now. I am not sure with other exchange sites.
PhucS

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:52:25 AM

A very interesting question, this is also the thing that not only you but a lot of people are wondering, do not know, me too. I think it would be a bad thing to send Bitcoin Cash to Bitcoin. Bitcoin Cash is extracted from Bitcoin, they are different, each blockchain is completely different. If sending Bitcoin cash to Bitcoin address is very high possibility that the transaction will not be able to perform and then the BCC will be at risk of being lost and disappear, you will not be able to find it again
nakata90

Activity: 381
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 10:13:30 AM

I was wondering what if someone accidentally sends Bitcoin Cash to a Bitcoin address? 
I saw a post in twitter from one of the staff I think of Bittrex that they will not do anything if anyone accidentally sent BTC to a BCC wallet and vise versa. So better be careful in sending those funds and double check the address if address is correct. Don't even bother to open a ticket according to the post. Its irreversible for now. I am not sure with other exchange sites.
Not only Bittrex exchange, any exchange have pair BCC are warning be carefully before sending Bitcoin Cash to their Wallet, if user have mistaken, they can't helps this user and this amount will loss all.

▄███▄
▄███████▄
▀███████▀
  ▀███▀
           ▄███▄
         ▄███████▄
         ▀███████▀
           ▀███▀
  ▄███▄
▄███████▄
▀███████▀
  ▀███▀
K O I N P R O.
TRADE CRYPTO AND STOCK CFD WITH BITCOIN
[

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
     ▄█████░░█░░█████▄
  ▄██████░░░░░░░██████▄
 ███████░░░░░░░░░███████
▐███████████████████████▌
████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
▐███████░░░███░░░███████▌
 ███████▄▄▄███▄▄▄███████
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀████████████████▀
      ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

.NO KYC

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
       ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ████████░░░██░░░███████
  ▐████████░░░█░░░████████▌
  █████████░░░░░░██████████
  █████████░░░█░░░█████████
  ▐████████░░░██░░░███████▌
   ████████░░░███░░░██████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

.EARN KOI

███
                  ▄▄█▄▄        ███████
                  █          ███████████
                  █████        ███████
                      █        ███████
                  ▀▀█▀▀        ███████
                               ███████
                █████████      ███████
                               ███████
               █████████       ▂▂▂▂
                               ▂▂▂▂
                █████████      ▂▂▂▂

. 100x LEVERAGE

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
             ▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
           ▄███░░█████████░░███▄
          ████░█████████████░████
         ▐███░██████▀▀▀██████░███▌
         ███░█████▀░░░░░░▀▀███░███
         ███░█████▄░░░░░░▄▄███░███
         ▐███░██████▄▄▄██████░███▌
          ████░█████████████░████
           ▀███░░██░░░░░██░░███▀
            ▀█▀▄███████████▄▀█▀
               ░▀▀████████▀▀░

.SUPER FAST
].
UNIQUE DOUBLE-UP
CONTRACT

amr1001

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:07:15 PM

Hello,

I sent 0.1 Bitcoin from my Blockchain.info wallet to Bitcoin Cash Address on Kraken.com ( my brother account, he is new to crypto)

Kraken.com support say they cannot help! They are not friendly they say they do not want waste the time/cost of developers on this!

What can I do not to restore my 0.1 Bitcoin.

You advice is appreciated.How can I push Kraken.com to restore it?

Thanks
Amro
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:18:51 PM

That's right, bittrex is not going to investigate the BCH that wrongly sent to bitcoin address, but, they may demand some bitcoin if you really want them to do the investigation, so there's possibility to recover your BCH back but just, you need to spend some of money.
ZaynDale

Activity: 238

T H E G O L D E N I C O

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 03:46:02 PM

I heard about the issue before that someone is sending Bitcoin Cash to Bitcoin since both has the same way format and number of character address,then his Bitcoin was lost and have nothing with it. Both parties have no idea how'd it happen. That's why birth of Bitcoin Gold amended and added some features that can be avoided the same case.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │     T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  22nd  M A Y                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Gyro

Activity: 177

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 03:54:48 PM

I heard about the issue before that someone is sending Bitcoin Cash to Bitcoin since both has the same way format and number of character address,then his Bitcoin was lost and have nothing with it. Both parties have no idea how'd it happen. That's why birth of Bitcoin Gold amended and added some features that can be avoided the same case.

You're an idiot. all three share the same addresses.
spadormie

Activity: 840
Merit: 268

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 04:00:35 PM

This is how it goes. If you send a coin to a different address, then your coin will vanish. And it would be not the exchanges fault, it is yours. Be careful in sending your coins to someone else's address. You might send yours to an address that is not intended for that coin. All you're doing is sending those coins to nothing.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
ulhaq

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 04:37:56 AM

Everyone here in the previous comments are clueless, bitcoin cash and bitcoin use the exact same private keys so if you sent bitcoin cash to a bitcoin address the owner of that bitcoin address can claim it on a bitcoin cash wallet by loading up their private key.

In other words you lose nothing.
What happens depends on whether or not the address was created before or after the split.

Why would it matter if the address was created before or after the split? If it was sent to an address for which someone knows the private key, then they should also have the private key in bitcoin cash.
skabooboo

Activity: 4
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:27:39 AM

Well yours truly has been there done that and with no great success....let me explain....

Totally newbie to the Bitcoin world. Went to get a BCH wallet and put money on it, didn't even know what the difference was between BCH and BTC

Made 3 transactions sending BCH to BTC Wallets....when you check on https://blockchair.com/ (which I was advised to do by a senior member) you see that the transaction went through.

When I go on my BCH wallet I see that the 3 transactions are confirmed on blockchain between 60 to 197 times and counting. So as far as I know the sellers (sent it to two different people on 2 different addresses) received it. But they both have been pestering me that they didn't.

Now because I asked on this forum and I was told that they did receive it and because I see that the transactions are confirmed on my end I told them both that they were playing with me and they told me that I was messing with them. So now I am really confused.

- Are those BCH lost in limbo?  
- Did they receive it and are just messing with me?
- Can we send BCH to BTC Wallet/Addresses without issue?
- Would sending BCH to BTC create delays?

It seems that one person says one thing and one person says it's opposite....would be so great to have a definitive answer on the topic.

Here are the 2 addresses I sent to:

1A6y6LJ2qqLZoYP1ir2sUkaEZn3L6S2o2F = This one sent twice. Mr one

1EY9X5MHsNMtApZrBN22yd4uGhyWLSogKF = This one sent once. Mr two

Also other question on the back of this; Mr two asked me to send him my bitcoin address so he could check to see if i made the transaction. First of all he said bitcoin address and not bitcoin cash (but to get the record straight I told Mr two that I was sending BCH and NOT BTC and he said that it was ok). Am I at risk if I give him my address? and if I do which one should I give him? (I used the BCH wallet from bitcoin.com) and yes you can give me the answer as if you were talking to a 6years old because right now that's exactly like I feel.

Thanks!

S.

hadveach

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:35:06 AM

although bitcoin cash is a fractional result of BTC fork, but I think you can not send direct bitcoin cash to BTC address. you must first convert bitcoin cash into bitcoin in exchange.
like you are sending ETH to a bitcoin address, and that's not possible.
ulhaq

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:44:18 AM

Well yours truly has been there done that and with no great success....let me explain....

Totally newbie to the Bitcoin world. Went to get a BCH wallet and put money on it, didn't even know what the difference was between BCH and BTC

Made 3 transactions sending BCH to BTC Wallets....when you check on https://blockchair.com/ (which I was advised to do by a senior member) you see that the transaction went through.

When I go on my BCH wallet I see that the 3 transactions are confirmed on blockchain between 60 to 197 times and counting. So as far as I know the sellers (sent it to two different people on 2 different addresses) received it. But they both have been pestering me that they didn't.

Now because I asked on this forum and I was told that they did receive it and because I see that the transactions are confirmed on my end I told them both that they were playing with me and they told me that I was messing with them. So now I am really confused.

- Are those BCH lost in limbo?  
- Did they receive it and are just messing with me?
- Can we send BCH to BTC Wallet/Addresses without issue?
- Would sending BCH to BTC create delays?

It seems that one person says one thing and one person says it's opposite....would be so great to have a definitive answer on the topic.

Here are the 2 addresses I sent to:

1A6y6LJ2qqLZoYP1ir2sUkaEZn3L6S2o2F = This one sent twice. Mr one

1EY9X5MHsNMtApZrBN22yd4uGhyWLSogKF = This one sent once. Mr two

Also other question on the back of this; Mr two asked me to send him my bitcoin address so he could check to see if i made the transaction. First of all he said bitcoin address and not bitcoin cash (but to get the record straight I told Mr two that I was sending BCH and NOT BTC and he said that it was ok). Am I at risk if I give him my address? and if I do which one should I give him? (I used the BCH wallet from bitcoin.com) and yes you can give me the answer as if you were talking to a 6years old because right now that's exactly like I feel.

Thanks!

S.

As explained above, I don't think it's possible to send bitcoin to a bitcoin cash address, and vice-versa. Which one did you buy, bitcoin or bitcoin cash?

All addresses will be possible on both bitcoin and bitcoin cash. The first address you posted, there are balances sent to both the bitcoin and bitcoin cash address within the past couple days (3 transactions total). I do not know if it was you or not.

The 2nd address only has a transaction on bitcoin cash, not on bitcoin, also within the past couple days.

With regards to your 2nd question, it does not make any sense for him to ask what your address is to know if the transaction was made. The blockchain is public, so anyone can look up the sending address and pretend it was theirs (to pretend that they made the payment, and then try to claim the product). That's why vendors will typically generate a new address for every transaction. If they only gave an address to 1 person, then the payment sent there must be from that person. He should be able to claim the bitcoin cash in that address by generating a bitcoin cash address corresponding to that bitcoin address, and then use his private key.

It's okay for you to publish your address, but you should never publish your private key.
Kaan53

Activity: 124
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:22:27 PM

Bitcoin cash can not send to bitcoin because you have to translate it first to bitcoin so you can send it to bitcoin.
Fire316

Activity: 281
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:55:47 PM

If someone sends bitcoin cash to a bitcoin address, transaction cannot be process if there is a warning that tells address did not match. But sometimes if there is no need to confirm first before you send,sure you lose your coins because they are different blockchains. Bitcoins cash address is different to Bitcoin or BTC address.
IfixTchenTchen

Activity: 149
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:05:01 AM

You would just lose you money. You may have noticed that a lot of exchanges warn you of "not sending Bitcoin Cash to Bitcoin wallets". There is a reason...
denzkilim

Activity: 1218
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:11:23 AM

This two coins have different blockchain and if bitcoin is sent or accidentally sent to a bitcoin cash address it will surely failed just like the other kinds of coins if you do the same it will surely fail. So it is better to always double checks or make a triple or more checks before sending your funds, especially those huge funds. Prevention is better than cure just like the doctor said, if you know what I mean. Cool
rizkyhiw
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 05:22:37 AM

Some of my friends once sent their bch to their btc wallet, and they did not get any.
I mean their transaction process was successfully sent, but they never received their bch, just disappeared.
Bch and btc are different, they need different wallets, you can not store them both simultaneously.
HashieNewb

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:49:55 PM

All transactions can no longer be used, because bCh and btc have different blockchain that will fail. All the same but there is a difference locked entry.

Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash is two very different things. That is why there was a war between the two coins when Bitcoin Cash declared itself to be the "Original" Bitcoin.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆