Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:12:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Armory on the BCH chain  (Read 45950 times)
ConnyH

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:14:03 PM

I don't know what would be an acceptable fee, to be honest. In theory, 1 sat/byte (or maybe even 0!) would work, although I've seen signs that at least some miners might be setting their max block sizes to 2MB for now in order to squeeze some extra fees out of people. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Bcash can handle RBF. You could always start at 1 sat/byte and bump it up if it fails to confirm in a reasonable length of time.

I set it at 1 sat/byte and it got 6 confirmations quite fast, thank you so much once again!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 04:10:48 PM

I'm pretty sure Bcash can handle RBF.

RBF is non standard on BCash, i.e. the replacement tx can be mined but won't be relayed by the network.

droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 02:00:49 AM

I'm pretty sure Bcash can handle RBF.

RBF is non standard on BCash, i.e. the replacement tx can be mined but won't be relayed by the network.

And people wonder why some engineers think Roger was dropped on his head as a child....
agibby5

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 11:19:45 PM

Spent quite a long time with bitcoin-abc-0.16.2 and armory 0.96.3.991 and trying to get it to work.

This combo throws in the bitcoind log.
2018-01-04 21:34:48 PROCESSMESSAGE: INVALID MESSAGESTART version peer=0

However, bitcoin-abc-0.16.1 and armory 0.96.3.991 allows the connection to happen:
2018-01-05 07:11:02 receive version message: [127.0.0.1:34586] Armory:0.96.3.991: version 70012, blocks=-1, us=127.0.0.1:8333, peer=0

Just a heads up to others. I believe something changed in the bitcoin-abc repo around 12/3/2017 surrounding this PROCESSMESSAGE output.
PsyMan2000

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:33:47 PM

I have read through the entire thread a few times now as well as the Aug 6th guide and I am still a bit confused.

For want of a simple solution that doesn't involve copying lots of data and running multiple offline clients but still keeps the original bitcoins safe in armory etc can I simply:

1. Create a new wallet in armory and send all of my bitcoins to it (wait for a few confirmations)
2. Use keys from the now empty old wallet in something like Electrum Cash to get and move BHC
3. Never use/burn the original wallet again in case it is compromised on the BHC side

Now, of course I am not asking if my BHC will be safe with something like electrum cash but would this solution keep my real bitcoins safe in my new armory wallet AND allow me to gamble/sell/move/split/risk the BHC without having to get too technical?

Cheers in advance and let me know if there are any obvious pitfalls

PsyMan

PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:50:37 PM

I have read through the entire thread a few times now as well as the Aug 6th guide and I am still a bit confused.

For want of a simple solution that doesn't involve copying lots of data and running multiple offline clients but still keeps the original bitcoins safe in armory etc can I simply:

1. Create a new wallet in armory and send all of my bitcoins to it (wait for a few confirmations)
2. Use keys from the now empty old wallet in something like Electrum Cash to get and move BHC
3. Never use/burn the original wallet again in case it is compromised on the BHC side

Now, of course I am not asking if my BHC will be safe with something like electrum cash but would this solution keep my real bitcoins safe in my new armory wallet AND allow me to gamble/sell/move/split/risk the BHC without having to get too technical?

PsyMan
Looks sane.
One thing to note, you will need to split BCH in Armory if your coins are in P2SH-P2PK addresses.

Hold onto the old wallet's private keys for other splits. BTG, for example.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:50:54 AM

PsyMan
Looks sane.
One thing to note, you will need to split BCH in Armory if your coins are in P2SH-P2PK addresses.

Hold onto the old wallet's private keys for other splits. BTG, for example.

I agree, your approach (PsyMan2000) looks sane.
Good catch, PhoenixFire.

Ente
PsyMan2000

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:33:39 PM

Thanks PhoenixFire, Ente and of course Goatpig.

Its starting to become clearer but still not to the point I am comfortable to just go ahead and do it, it's not the biggest wallet in the world but still much more than I care to lose from being too hasty.

Address type: P2PKH , does this mean I can stick to my plan and simply split using Electron Cash (or equivalent) with a direct key import or will I need to go back to the data moving, double armory plan?

PsyMan
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:01:10 PM

Thanks PhoenixFire, Ente and of course Goatpig.

Its starting to become clearer but still not to the point I am comfortable to just go ahead and do it, it's not the biggest wallet in the world but still much more than I care to lose from being too hasty.

Address type: P2PKH , does this mean I can stick to my plan and simply split using Electron Cash (or equivalent) with a direct key import or will I need to go back to the data moving, double armory plan?

PsyMan
Good attitude to have, tbh.
And yes, you can stick to the Electron Cash plan. P2PKH is compatible with everything.
PsyMan2000

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:49:48 PM

That is good news, thanks for the confirmation and tips. My plan B if I had to split with Armory would have been (as possibly misinterpreted):

1. send bitcoins to new armory1 wallet (wait for confirmations)
2. rsync/copy my huge bitcoin folder to my laptop in same relative location
3. install armory2 on laptop and launch it offline checking it is using the copied folder
4. change signer to BHC & import wallet (hopefully now seeing the same sum of BHC)
5. create offline transaction sending all BHC to exchange wallet (not sure how but I am sure I could find out)
6. work out how to make that transaction a live reality (again, grey area but easily researched)
7. spend BHC on a new yacht and solve poverty

While I am only 75% confident the above would have worked there was enough doubt to stop me trying, hopefully someone can clarify the Plan B steps and advise if wrong for anyone else approaching the thread for advice.

PsyMan
alomar

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:11:13 PM

can you explain this further?
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:53:20 PM

The P2SH-P2PK address type is unique to Armory (as far as I know). Unless you want to craft your own transactions, you're limited to dealing with whatever forks Armory has a signer for - you can't just export the private keys and call it a day.
P2PKH is universally supported, and P2SH-P2WPKH is supported by other segwit wallets (assuming they follow the standards).
alomar

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:22:59 AM

The P2SH-P2PK address type is unique to Armory (as far as I know). Unless you want to craft your own transactions, you're limited to dealing with whatever forks Armory has a signer for - you can't just export the private keys and call it a day.
P2PKH is universally supported, and P2SH-P2WPKH is supported by other segwit wallets (assuming they follow the standards).

so ALL Armory legacy addresses are in this unique format?  meaning you can't export their private keys to another wallet?  makes sense as the root key is unique afaict (2 rows of 9 blocks of 4 letters each, all lower case).  that's good to know; don't bother wasting time exporting...
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:35:01 AM

so ALL Armory legacy addresses are in this unique format?  meaning you can't export their private keys to another wallet?  makes sense as the root key is unique afaict (2 rows of 9 blocks of 4 letters each, all lower case).  that's good to know; don't bother wasting time exporting...
No, you misunderstand me. Not all Armory addresses. For one, P2SH-P2PK was only introduced in 0.96 and HD/root key wallets predate that AFAIK.
You can choose to have addresses in any (and all) of the 3 listed formats in one Armory wallet right now. I honestly don't remember what the default was when I first booted up Armory, but I suspect it was P2PKH. Up to you to decide which format you use (this is in the settings), and you can check which addresses (used or unused) are in which format via the wallet properties.

Edit: If your addresses are specifically P2SH-P2PK, then yeah you are going to have a bad time trying to get the exported keys to refer to the right addresses in other wallets. Armory does say that it requires 0.96+ to spend from them.
P2SH-P2WPKH is a bit less smooth, but doable. P2PKH is supported by everything bitcoin related that isn't ancient.

Does that help? Don't want to leave you with false ideas about it Smiley
alomar

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 04:51:08 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2018, 05:01:46 PM by alomar

so ALL Armory legacy addresses are in this unique format?  meaning you can't export their private keys to another wallet?  makes sense as the root key is unique afaict (2 rows of 9 blocks of 4 letters each, all lower case).  that's good to know; don't bother wasting time exporting...
No, you misunderstand me. Not all Armory addresses. For one, P2SH-P2PK was only introduced in 0.96 and HD/root key wallets predate that AFAIK.
You can choose to have addresses in any (and all) of the 3 listed formats in one Armory wallet right now. I honestly don't remember what the default was when I first booted up Armory, but I suspect it was P2PKH. Up to you to decide which format you use (this is in the settings), and you can check which addresses (used or unused) are in which format via the wallet properties.

Edit: If your addresses are specifically P2SH-P2PK, then yeah you are going to have a bad time trying to get the exported keys to refer to the right addresses in other wallets. Armory does say that it requires 0.96+ to spend from them.
P2SH-P2WPKH is a bit less smooth, but doable. P2PKH is supported by everything bitcoin related that isn't ancient.

Does that help? Don't want to leave you with false ideas about it Smiley

that helps alot, i did misunderstand you.  what is that, btw?:  P2SH-P2PK.  pay to public-key?  isn't that an old relic from the past?  wasn't the Base58 format introduced way back when to obscure the public key?  unless of course, the P2SH part obscures it via the redeem script...but for what purpose?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 05:04:35 PM

what is that, btw?:  P2SH-P2PK.  pay to public-key?  isn't that an old relic from the past?  wasn't the Base58 format introduced way back when to obscure the public key?  unless of course, the P2SH part obscures it via the redeem script...but for what purpose?
Yes, it is pay to pubkey. The P2SH part obscures that because the pubkey is part of the redeem script. The reason for doing P2PK instead of P2PKH is that it takes up less space than P2PKH nested in P2SH.

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:33:44 PM

but for what purpose?

So as to allow for the use of compressed pubkeys at roughly the same cost as compressed P2PKH, without murdering the Python wallet code over it.

P0ST

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 05:33:53 PM

Hello,

Looking for some advice here (am noob).

I have BCH trapped in a lockbox.  I have moved all BTC and BCH from the addresses that fund the lockbox post fork, and all BTC from the lockbox post fork.  I have BCH remaining in the lockbox.  I just synced an ABC node against Armory hoping that I would see the BCH amount appear in the lockbox, but it's not showing. 

Question:  Should Armory be showing the BCH amount in my lockbox once it has synced with the BCH node?  Or will the lockbox amount show "0" if there are no funds in the wallets that fund the lockbox?

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 05:48:04 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2018, 06:56:02 PM by goatpig

Lockbox will show their proper balance assuming they had coins pre fork.

P0ST

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:59:19 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2018, 09:36:11 PM by P0ST

I was able to spend BCH from a wallet, however the lockbox fails to send.  The error dialog box states "the transaction that you just executed failed with the following error message:rate limited free transaction".  I have tried enabling and disabling RBF protection and adjusting fee rates.  Anyone else have this issue or know why I might be getting that error?

Log file:
https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/XrQBJb4d

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: