Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:57:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World War III and BTC  (Read 7424 times)
Dasneko

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:25:38 PM

So the basic thrust of your arguement is US forces had self-exploding tanks, bombers who could not hit a beach, and generally incompetent leadership.  I believe you also ranted about WWI helmets, ugly casualty rates, fire bombing of cities, atomic weapons and fearsome enemies flying bamboo airplanes.

So, if the US forces were as incompetent as described why do the WWII nations of  Germany, Italy, Japan and USSR no longer exist?

Seems to me that despite all the faults, failures and just plain incompetence that you have so carefully located, the US soldier, sailor, airman and Marine simply kicked ass.  Something about being willing to say "NUTS".

So my question still remains.  

Why should the US protect Europe, Japan, Taiwan or Korea?  Why should the US protect the Middle East oil fields when the majority of that product goes to Europe, Japan, and China?  What does the US care if heating oil prices in Europe skyrocket?

If you really think the US is going to get involved in your WW3 scenarios, you better explain why the US will be interested.

Actually if oil prices in Europe skyrocketed due to being cut off for example the american based oil producers would simply prioritize selling to Europe. Free market and all that so of course they will sell where they get the most profit. Its also fun how you always expect that everyone wants your help and you base that on WW2.... when the whole world had to band together against Germany.... Which is in Europe.... And is currently a much nicer country then America ever was.... I honestly dont see a problem with the Atlantic Ocean being between us right now. Could perhaps have been wider but one can dream.

I gave you ample evidence on Americas lack of morals, leadership, preparedness, priorities, realistic view point and training. The fact that you exist and X country dont has nothing to do with your "greatness" and you just claiming it is outright childish. A country does not need to be successful or unique in any way to persist. Cant you see how silly you are going "haha we lived longer then youuuu"?

You claim that Germany, Italy and Japan does no longer exist? They are far greater now then they ever were. Who do you think is leading the world in stuff like Technology, economy and social development? Who the heck needs oil when we get our electricity from green energy combined with nuclear power plants?

I believe USA will be the one to START WW3. No one else seams to bother except some arab countries that have not had peace since they invented the stick.

The Germany, Italy and Japan that started WW2 no longer exist.  What we now call Germany, Italy and Japan exist by the efforts of those Americans whose morals, leadership, preparedness, priorities, realistic viewpoint and training you question.

Yes, I have been in Germany, Italy and Japan.  The US funded reconstruction did wonders.  The US funded protection from encroaching powers provided an opportunity for these nations become strong again.  If you really want to see the value the US provided to those nations, take a wander through, East Germany, Czech, Slovak, Poland and Hungary.  (Yes, I have.)  There you will see what happened when the morally bankrupt, incompetent, etc Americans were not around to make it all better.

Your fear that the US will start WW3 is, IMHO, unfounded.  Historically, the US is an isolationist country with strong internal pressures to disarm.  You pointed that out quite correctly with your observations regarding exploding tanks, crappy equipment and poor training.  If the US were intent on conquering the world, we would be paying a little more attention to the military forces needed.  Right now, in fact, the US military is downsizing.  Our nuclear weapon stockpiles are being reduced.  Our manning levels in all the services are being cut.  Now, I am sure you can come up with some way that points to the US getting ready for WW3. 

BTW, I am delighted that you take such joy in using the peaceful nuclear technology developed by your friends, the Americans. As someone who spent my first years as an adult operating a nuclear reactor, I have always felt we have not benefited enough from that technology.

Back on topic, bitcoin will only be useful post WW3 if there is enough of the internet left to serve all those who want to use bitcoin.  Since we have not yet reached agreement on what WW3 would look like, it is foolish to attempt to answer the question.

First of there is an immense difference between USA back then and now. For example remember how long it took for America to get involved in WW2? Now remember that not that long ago America jumped headlong into a war with Iraq over 9/11 which Iraq had no part of in the first place. If you think America is this peace loving nation that only want to keep to itself then tell me the longest period you have ever had peace in America. You can pick any part of your history it makes no difference in the end.

Lets see how long you will have peace after the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. With how eager you seam to invade Syria I am not expecting a new record this time either. Another important fact is that America spends more on its military then the next 15 countries combined and guess how many of those 15 countries are its allies? There is not a question about if America is "prepared" to start a world war. Its a question of if they will have enough time to fuck it up that much before someone else do it intentionally. Do not get me wrong I am not afraid of war. I could not care less about if I live or die honestly. I am just being realistic here and saying that America is capable of starting WW3, active in warfare, constantly instigating its enemies and incompetent enough to one day fuck things up for everyone.

Do not bother speaking about 2 countries that hardly suffered infrastructure damage during the war and Germany that only brushed off the dust on its shoulders after WW1 to become the predominant super power in a few decades. For all the help you "gave" it was far out weight by the spoils of war you took at the conclusion of the war not to mention the allies were the cause of the spreading of Nazism to begin with. You created your own worst enemy after WW1 when you made life miserable for the Germans after the war. Anyway point is Italy and Japan could just continue with business as usual a few years after the war and Germany is robust enough to rebuild itself even with your so called "help". I am sure they are still thankful for the Berlin wall.

I would like to draw your attention to a specific man. Albert Einstein. A German and father to Nuclear energy and the Atomic bomb. The Nuclear reactor itself and the components for it was developed all around the world and the first Nuclear power plant was built in Russia. Its clear as day that whatever development America did was not a critical discovery meaning it was going to be rapidly discovered by someone else if America had not gotten to it first. If anything America might have saved a year or two of time and I am being generous here.

If 25% of the internet was cut off or more chances are that the credibility of bitcoin will be hit hard. Perhaps even crippled to the point where inverters wont trust it anymore and that will bring the downfall of Bitcoin as a currency. You also have to consider that with a World war people will either withdraw their investments OR relocate them to take advantage of the most lucrative market on the planet. Warfare.
crypt0maniac

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:56:56 PM

if you believe that ww3 is going to happen soon you should invest your money into basic survival things...not into bitcoin
ralphte

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Bitcoins and no internet don't mix.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:33:29 AM

actually bitcoin could work quite well without internet. probably not if the devs raise the block size too much though.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
jeannie

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:37:17 AM

But you will need the internet to download the Bitcoin client etc.  Can do without the Internet for transactions also

Dasneko

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:34:13 AM

actually bitcoin could work quite well without internet. probably not if the devs raise the block size too much though.

Without the internet bitcoin will not have any value.
cygnus

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:36:10 AM

bitcoin needs p2p.  No internet, no bitcoin
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:03:49 AM

How???

It would result in several blockchains and double/tripple/quadrupple spending. No-one would know what wallet owns the coins.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
staal

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:08:44 AM

business as usual.
SlateGrey

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:04:03 PM

WW3 would presumably be the end of us, so holding BTC is academic
Slartibartfast from M.

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

WW3 doesn't mean the end of the internet.. The internet is bomb-proof.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:34:28 PM

I would like to draw your attention to a specific man. Albert Einstein. A German and father to Nuclear energy and the Atomic bomb. The Nuclear reactor itself and the components for it was developed all around the world and the first Nuclear power plant was built in Russia. Its clear as day that whatever development America did was not a critical discovery meaning it was going to be rapidly discovered by someone else if America had not gotten to it first. If anything America might have saved a year or two of time and I am being generous here.

I'm not bored enough to deal with the rest of your false statements but I loved the one above.

Perhaps you could detail exactly what role Albert Einstein played in the Manhattan Project?

To make it a little easier for you to answer this question I am providing a link to the wikipedia article.  When you are finished reading that, please continue on to the list of sources and references at the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:44:56 PM

Bitcoin, or anything but "useful stuff" working well after WW3 is laughable.  Brings images of post-revolution Russian gentry daintily chowing on their pets with silver they couldn't unload. Cheesy
ghostlander
Legendary

Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020

No surrender, no retreat, no regret.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:00:04 PM

BTC needs the Internet to work properly and has better chances to survive than any particular fiat. WW3 may or may not break all things loose. In the worst case scenario, all fiat and crypto currencies turn into dust together.

"If you've got a problem and have to spread some coins to make it go away, you've got no problem. You've got an expence." ~ Phoenixcoin (PXC) and Orbitcoin (ORB) and Halcyon (HAL)
Dasneko

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:59:46 AM

I'm not bored enough to deal with the rest of your false statements but I loved the one above.

Perhaps you could detail exactly what role Albert Einstein played in the Manhattan Project?

To make it a little easier for you to answer this question I am providing a link to the wikipedia article.  When you are finished reading that, please continue on to the list of sources and references at the bottom.

Do a word search for Albert and you will find that they got his singature as support to even start the project. Its under the fucking "origins" for crying out loud. Ever heard of E=MC^2? Yeah... He is the father of Fission (manhattan project and beyond) and Fusion (the next generation of nuclear power plants) and the person that bound the world of energy to the world of matter. He is the single most important person in the invention of the Nuke. How more clear do i have to be?
kevindeangelis

Activity: 448
Merit: 130

3D-Printing goes Blockchain!

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:06:23 AM

.... running to (find a) bunker ...

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:13:42 AM

Do a word search for Albert and you will find that they got his singature as support to even start the project. Its under the fucking "origins" for crying out loud. Ever heard of E=MC^2? Yeah... He is the father of Fission (manhattan project and beyond) and Fusion (the next generation of nuclear power plants) and the person that bound the world of energy to the world of matter. He is the single most important person in the invention of the Nuke. How more clear do i have to be?

It's not as obvious as you make it seem, just like it isn't obvious that the man who discovered the wheel is the father of automotive industry.  "Nuclear fission of heavy elements was discovered in 1938 by Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, Fritz Strassmann, and Otto Robert Frisch." -wikip, Fermi set up the first "reactor" at UC in '42.  Einstein's role at this point was mainly political, he was the Big Cheese in the field, and his letter in support of developing a nuclear weapon was prompted by Germany's nuclear weapons research.  His warning made the threat more viable, that's all. 
If you mean the whole atomic age wouldn't have been possible without the neat formula, i can't argue against that -- a car would be impossible if someone hasn't invented the wheel first.
Thanksforhelp

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:45:45 AM

I bet Bitcoins will become the world wide currency, after the apocalypse of course.
This isn't a bad idea.
Dasneko

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:24:53 AM

It's not as obvious as you make it seem, just like it isn't obvious that the man who discovered the wheel is the father of automotive industry.  "Nuclear fission of heavy elements was discovered in 1938 by Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, Fritz Strassmann, and Otto Robert Frisch." -wikip, Fermi set up the first "reactor" at UC in '42.  Einstein's role at this point was mainly political, he was the Big Cheese in the field, and his letter in support of developing a nuclear weapon was prompted by Germany's nuclear weapons research.  His warning made the threat more viable, that's all.  
If you mean the whole atomic age wouldn't have been possible without the neat formula, i can't argue against that -- a car would be impossible if someone hasn't invented the wheel first.
Well the thing that I am trying to say is while the development of a nuclear reactor is kind of "scientific grunt work" since the theories and speculations had already been made. All they needed was to put the pieces together and make it work more or less.

What Albert did however with discovering E=MC^2 was a revolutionary way of thinking. Putting the importance it has on everything else aside it told of unimaginable quantities of energy that could be unleashed from matter. It was not that radioactivity divided atoms but that it could produce scary amounts of energy. Without this breakthrough in thinking it would take years or perhaps decades until we would get there with ordinary science. Albert Einstine could singlehandedly be responsible for the Manhattan project not starting this year instead of back during WW2.
I bet Bitcoins will become the world wide currency, after the apocalypse of course.
This isn't a bad idea.
Yes it would be. A world wide currency has to be designed to be a world wide currency. Just because bitcoin or Euro works in a certain situation does not mean that simply up scaling it will be okey. If you want to have a truly good world wide currency it has to be specifically designed for that purpose.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:14:20 PM

If the US wanted to go to war with Russia and China (to "liberate the people and bring democracy" of course) they would have to borrow insane amounts of money (because war is very expensive). And guess who the biggest creditor is to the US? Right: China. Grin

So instead the Fed would have to print even bigger piles of dollars to finance the war. Which would crash the US economy before any American soldiers set foot on Russian and Chinese soil.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: