Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:01:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Theymos's list of altcoins with some technical merit  (Read 33253 times)
Periodik

Activity: 1022
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 12:21:29 PM

Thanks for the assessment Theymos. We'll be glad to read more of it. If Bitcoin is 100 I was expecting Ethereum to be around 80sh. I scrolled down and rofl seeing 1. Much more when I saw Iota at 0.1. Monero Cool Cool Cool
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 07:19:54 PM

Thank you Theymos for this wonderful list, I would just choose Ethereum as it's older and it has a solid platform.
As what I have noticed, there's plenty of projects build under ETH so I will expect it to be more valuable in the future.
What's "wonderful" about it? All the glaring errors? Or the ridiculous scoring "system"? Or maybe you mean theymos's "rigorous" evaluations? Or is ur tongue merely trying to worm it's way up theymos's arse?

Lmao IKR

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
SatoNatomato

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 07:48:31 PM

Any further info on centralization of DAG based currencies likes IOTA and Byte?
IOTA has not worked a single day without its trusted and single central "Coordinator" node. As judged by the iota developers, it is not safe for end-users to turn it off.  From the DAG part, the "Directions" is done by the Coordinator, that is the entire "consensus algorithm".

When ADK tried to clone/fork IOTA, the main dev of iota claimed without the Coordinator, which is closed source, the value of ADK is zero. Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1216479.msg20619797#msg20619797

For Byteball: It is centralized in that 1 person, main dev, is behind the 12 witnesses since its creation, according to design it is up to the the community/users to replace each one by making a conscious choice. The consensus algorithm is not 100% trustless like Bitcoin, but does require to trust that majority of the 12 witnesses do not conspire. Interesting and novel consensus design.
HVCC

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 08:29:16 PM

Glad to see some BAY awareness  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=890531.5160

Check the BitBay thread for more info!

BitBay team member - Take your markets back!
Aki4real

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:12:49 AM

*Grabs popcorn and waits until everyone starts promoting the coin they're invested in*

Oh wait.. that already happened? Shit.. ok..

*waits for the coinbashing to happen*

What? I missed that fun as well.. pff ok

Close this topic Theymos, it will turn into a circlejerk of coinshillers. mark my words

Why should anybody mark YOUR words? You aren't important.

lol, good one

*eats popcorn*
Gillette

Activity: 744
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:23:43 AM

theymos, nice to see Blocknet (BLOCK) on your interest list. I`m sure you`ll love it!  Wink
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:56:16 AM

theymos, nice to see Blocknet (BLOCK) on your interest list. I`m sure you`ll love it!  Wink
"Theymos" is now ignoring the thread he created.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 05:03:06 PM

"Theymos" is now ignoring the thread he created.

Or perhaps busy reviewing?

I am very interested to hear his opinion on the bitbay market place and the design of the rolling peg.
Also on blocknets atomic exchange
I have always wanted a good review of cloaks enigma
And want to know what all the fuss about XBY is and if it is justified.

sheld0n

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 06:30:39 PM

Thanks a lot for giving your opinions about promising altcoins. I am very interested and looking forward for your reviews of NEM, Waves and Byteball. I am wondering why you delisted Counterparty. Of course, it is inefficient in some way and has not proven good scalability but it is the only and best option for making Bitcoin blockchain open for more use cases. I would not count it out yet.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:19:58 PM

Why not rename it a review of a few random "schemes" while insulting REAL "currencies"

Why is it legit to ICO / Premine a gimmick token of sorts ?

I should make "ass itchy ccoin"
The smart ass itching platform with a block-chain tacked on with a token slid in..
We'll be rich pajeets !

I came for a currency.. not gimmicky schemes (for profit)

FUD first & ask questions later™
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:43:54 PM

dlsag.com ($WBB) will > * shortly  Cool

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 02:36:40 PM

Okay, this attack is one I was unaware of. But this kind of attack should only be a problem if the participants are "slashed" for voting on the wrong chain (e.g. "Slasher 2.0" as presented by Buterin), but not if they are slashed when voting on more than one chain (like in the first Slasher version and also in Poelstra's example). In the latter, the attacker cannot create a history where another participant is double-voting and so is punished, so in this sense there is no ambiguity. The nodes should simply follow the attacker's chain because it should have more "chain trust" (or similar "score"), but in that situation he is the "legit" validator so I don't see the problem.

He edited his document to address Slasher:

Quote from: Github Gist
Vitalik’s analysis of the probability of attacker achieving a double-spend (on his Slasher 1 or 2 designs) is irrelevant to the my point of whether it requires an oligarchy to function. His analysis failed to point out that the entropy for and thus the next signer is chosen by the current (or 3000 blocks back) signer, thus the only chain that wins is the one that the oligarchy signs every block they want to. Always the issue distills down to there’s no objective reference point because of nothing-at-stake. Tangentially, Slasher’s timestampers add Byzantine agreement’s liveness and quorum weakness to PoS, and I can show the double-spend security is thus much worse than Vitalik computed unless most of the stake is always online. The Ouroboros “provably secure” PoS alternative may solve this by creating objective entropy via secure multiparty computation presuming a majority of the stake is honest, but requires a majority of the stake to remain online and the network to remain bounded synchronous for said majority.

You guys may think I'm a stubborn PoS (e.g. NXT) shill. But I may even reconsider my position on PoS - in fact, after I read Vlad's blog posts about the Casper history about one year ago, I already got pretty skeptic on it, or at least I thought it would lead to over-complicated (and thus more exploitable) algorithms. The reason I got more optimistic on it were several forum discussions where it seemed that all really dangerous attacks on PoS would depend on very unlikely assumptions (e.g. stakeholders accepting cheap bribes) because of "altruism-prime" being stronger than initially thought.

There is only one provably secure PoS whitepaper that has security proofs dealing with every aspect which those efforts you refer to lack.
Ouroboros states clearly the tradeoffs required to achieve that security.
The requirement that most of the stake has to remain online at all times, informs that PoS does not function in the real world without an oligarchy.
In any power-law distribution of wealth, 50% of the money supply is held by the spenders not savers (i.e. the speculators who have no interest whatsoever in participating in stake forging).
monsterer2

Activity: 351
Merit: 134

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 03:27:48 PM

There is only one provably secure PoS whitepaper that has security proofs dealing with every aspect which those efforts you refer to lack.
Ouroboros states clearly the tradeoffs required to achieve that security.
The requirement that most of the stake has to remain online at all times, informs that PoS does not function in the real world without an oligarchy.
In any power-law distribution of wealth, 50% of the money supply is held by the spenders not savers (i.e. the speculators who have no interest whatsoever in participating in stake forging).

Agree completely, having read the Ouroboros paper myself.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 03:36:04 PM

Thanks for compiling this list Theymos, I'll enable notifications on this post to receive updates Smiley

I really appreciate you explaining everything surrounding ETH especially, you've just listed all of the reasons why I've refrained from investing in ETH.
I'm also fairly sure that we'll see some more issues popping up in the future.

Thank you Theymos for this wonderful list, I would just choose Ethereum as it's older and it has a solid platform.
As what I have noticed, there's plenty of projects build under ETH so I will expect it to be more valuable in the future.

Have you even read what he mentioned about ETH?
Additionally, Ethereum ignored years of prior discussion regarding the safety issues of high-power scripts, and as a result of this and other design decisions, it faces serious security and scaling issues which have really started to become apparent as people try to actually use ETH for real applications. I can't see it surviving without major breaking changes or (more likely) an ever-increasing number of centralization band-aids.

drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:20:44 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2017, 12:47:49 AM by drays

I was seriously reading the opening post until I stumbled upon this:

- zcoin - clone of zcash

Stopped reading as soon as I saw this. If this is the conclusion made after investigation, it tells a lot about the quality of this "investigation", and makes me very much doubt of the value of all the other conclusions made in that post.

Theymos, please fix this. For an expert in cryptocurrency, its a shame to make such statements... Especially when you wrote you spent time investigating it.

... this space is not for rent ...
Filmmmakerr

Activity: 490

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:04:14 AM

Solid coins, Id pretty much agree with everything on that list. Some BCH fan boys will be upset to see it on the 0 list but it really doesn't have any real value behind it.

Campaign Manager (2018)
OneNattyLitecoin

Activity: 356
Merit: 335

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:55:18 AM

LOL. Litecoin @ 0.

Intersted in your thought on NXS.

I don't own any, but think it's pretty solid.
monocolor

Activity: 766
Merit: 621

Own ONION

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 03:09:51 AM

interesting post. I am interested in his investigation of byteball. I think byteball has a lot new features that are very useful.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
.....DeepVault.....
....Blockchain File Signatures....
...deeponion.org...
FJNuñez

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

🌟ATLANT ICO: 7/09/17🌟

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:47:44 AM

The first line sums up altcoins perfectly... "Most altcoins are pump and dump". lol!

dewanaga
Copper Member

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:51:04 AM

I think that ethereum will get pump again, just see the price of ethereum increasingly but in the form of USD, because bitcoin the price also rise, hopefully in btc ethereum can go up 50 percent Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: