Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:27:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Theymos's list of altcoins with some technical merit  (Read 33254 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:48:22 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2017, 06:24:16 PM by theymos

Most altcoins are pure pump-and-dump, but there are a small handful that actually have some technical merit. I will list them here, according to my opinion/understanding.

For each one, I will assign a technical merit/innovation score. On the day of its release, Bitcoin would have had a score of 100, whereas a score of 0 would be a pure pump-and-dump built on stupid gimmicks and other nonsense -- I don't list these at all.

Ethereum

The way Ethereum's Solidity works is very interesting. It feels good to use, like magic. When people first see it, it often blows their minds. And there are several useful things that these super-smart contracts enable. However, Ethereum is built on the same technology as Bitcoin, and this technology has serious real-world issues and constraints. So although Solidity feels unlimited and magical:

- You often need to resort to centralization in order to do things, which completely defeats the point.
- Not all, but most real-world uses of Solidity can be done on Bitcoin, though it's more of a headache (like writing in assembly vs JavaScript).
- The Solidity "magic" hides many real-world issues which can still occur, such as reorgs, network-wide scaling issues, various possible attacks, etc. -- this is the cause of most of the various ETH disasters over the years.

ETH makes the power of cryptocurrency and smart contracts very plain to people, and I appreciate that, but it's not actually very good at being a cryptocurrency or securely/efficiently/reliably executing smart contracts.

Additionally, Ethereum ignored years of prior discussion regarding the safety issues of high-power scripts, and as a result of this and other design decisions, it faces serious security and scaling issues which have really started to become apparent as people try to actually use ETH for real applications. I can't see it surviving without major breaking changes or (more likely) an ever-increasing number of centralization band-aids.

Score: 1

IOTA

The tangle design is interesting and potentially useful, though I have several serious concerns about how it will actually work long-term:

- In order to achieve lasting, stable scalability, something will need to be done to limit bandwidth. Otherwise you still have the problem that everyone needs to download everyone else's transactions in order to be a trustless node, and this simply doesn't scale no matter what else you do. How can you split the network so that one node can trustlessly ignore a lot of the network's total transactions, but transactions are still possible cross-split? Doing something like splitting the graph into a cycle of semi-separate segments might be possible, but it seems very difficult to do this and maintain security+convergence.
 - With a chain, if miners become evil and rewrite the last 6 blocks or something, everyone is going to notice and be affected, and so a unified response (PoW change, etc.) will be fairly easy. But with a graph, maybe an attacker could just nibble at the edges in such a way that 99.99% of users are able to think "well, it's not really my problem". In fact, it may not even be easily provable that an attack happened at all.
 - I am not convinced that a tangle is stable/convergent/secure in all circumstances. Even if it seems to work under all tests so far, it may well fall apart under a clever but not-too-difficult attack, or perhaps even just on its own. The whole idea that transaction volume is what adds security to the tangle makes me uneasy, since an attacker can always produce unlimited fake transactions, while the network will only produce a "natural" number of transactions unless additional measures are taken to generate good fake transactions.

Possibly due to the IOTA devs sharing similar concerns, IOTA's software currently relies on centralized checkpointing.

Score: 0.1

Monero

Monero is the most widely-used highly-fungible cryptocurrency, and it has a good record for being secure/stable. Fungibility is very useful, and the way it is done in Monero is quite good, though it's not actually mathematically private; it is theoretically possible to get some identifying clues from Monero transactions without breaking any crypto, though it's very difficult, especially after RingCT. Its method of anonymization has very severe scaling downsides, however; Monero makes Bitcoin look Visa-scale.

Score: 4

Zcash

Zcash has the same general goals as Monero. Theoretically, it should have slightly better anonymity than Monero, but you have to trust that the key ceremony was completed honestly, and you also have to trust that there are no flaws in Zcash's more esoteric/experimental cryptography.

Creating/validating anonymous Zcash transactions requires several gigabytes of memory, which is very harmful to centralization and anonymity. If you're the only person who goes to the trouble of creating anonymous transactions, then you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Zcash's underlying technology may have theoretical scaling advantages; probably better than Monero, and perhaps better than even Bitcoin. But I don't think that this is being exploited at all in the current code, and I haven't been able to find an exact quantification of how good it could be.

Score: 1

Unlisted

I have investigated these coins, and give them a score of zero. Note that when a family of coins have almost the same technical features/properties, I give the one which seems "most major" its proper score, and the rest in that family a score of zero. If you very much prefer a clone's economic properties, tiny changes in constants, etc., then it is maybe not unreasonable for you to prefer that clone instead, but in this post I am concerned with highlighting the most prominent examples of major innovation.

- Bcash - clone of Bitcoin
 - Bytecoin - very similar to Monero, and Monero is bigger / more active, even though Bytecoin came first
 - CounterParty - an even more inefficient/unscalable way of trying to do what Ethereum does
 - Dogecoin - clone of Bitcoin
 - ETC - clone of ETH
 - Litecoin - clone of Bitcoin
 - NMC - mostly a clone of Bitcoin with some not-very-innovative extras tacked on
 - Ripple - 100% centralized
 - zcoin - clone of zcash

Not yet evaluated

I haven't investigated these enough yet to give them scores.

- BitBay
 - Blocknet
 - Byteball
 - CloakCoin
 - Dash
 - GameCredits
 - Neo
 - PIVX
 - Waves
 - XEM
 - XtraBYtes
 - Zencash

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 08:53:03 PM

Solid coins for sure. What do you think of Dash?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:06:23 PM

What do you think of Dash?

I've heard that it's highly centralized, but I haven't looked into it in depth yet.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
McWorse

Activity: 618
Merit: 292

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:11:49 PM

Would be interesting to have a score for BTC. Do you dare to give one?

YOU CAN'T EAT BLOCKCHAINS!

... better enjoy some Yummy Recipes!
Midas111

Activity: 772
Merit: 105

Close the federal reserve

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:24:35 PM

agree on all points except monero would get .1 for unlimited supply

I enjoy working with the finest digital currency developers on earth
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:26:20 PM

Sub 1% yearly inflation really isn't that big of a deal. The coin will still be deflationary, because wallets are lost, coins are sent to incorrect addresses, etc.
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:37:31 PM

Are these the coins you invested in that you will try to push once BitcoinCash overtakes BitcoinCore?

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
lakimens

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

PVxYGaa1UZM6oDqW3ZKe4Esi18DgwBpDkr

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:45:31 PM

BitCoin would have a score of 100, as he said above.

Interesting, but these are all mainstream coins, what about some less known?

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY ($PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Bounty]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:50:21 PM

BitCoin would have a score of 100, as he said above.

Interesting, but these are all mainstream coins, what about some less known?

I like ZenCash, which is an improvement over Zcash. Also Ethereum Classic should have been mentioned.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:58:50 PM

Possibly due to the IOTA devs sharing similar concerns, IOTA's software currently relies on centralized checkpointing.

No. "Checkpointing" is done to protect against 34% attacks which would be conducted by dudes publishing Bible on Bitcoin blockchain. Just wait for IOTA network to become larger.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:00:38 PM

From 0 to 100 you give just 1 to ETH?
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:31:30 PM

It's a disinflationary coin. It'll act more like real cash than bitcoin.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
DiMiTri101

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:32:22 PM

So then, what coins do you like and why?
electricretard

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:59:35 PM

From 0 to 100 you give just 1 to ETH?

That is what we call "being a maximalist" lol. Boy are those people gonna be surprised, funny how most of them still... well, let's not get into that, wrong thread I guess.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

theymos, i partially agree but you are way to generous with such high scores to the above.

btw which bitcoin do you give 100 to  Huh  

curious of your thoughts on litecoin ?
goin2mars.

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 11:14:44 PM

Oh my, excellent allocations Smiley

Although I would have given iota at least a .3

me before: goo dot gl/QV7mhF
C0A2A1C4
ham
whap

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 11:15:01 PM

In 300 years, XMR supply will still be less than Litecoin supply.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 11:51:56 PM

I'm not going to sit here and argue about coins I think are revolutionary (GameCredits) which you probably write off as useless, but I would like to know your thoughts on CounterParty. I'm surprised you don't see it as having any technical merit.
luey

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 12:06:47 AM

How big is your mining farm?  Wink

ziploc+

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2017, 01:09:38 AM

What about