Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:05:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Devtome: Get Hundreds of Thousands of free Devcoins for writing  (Read 44757 times)
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:21:23 AM

In round 24 there were 1,277 receiver lines, so the average number of devcoins per share is 180,000,000 dvc / 1,277 = 140,955 dvc, at the prices of the time that was 13$.
Luckybit

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:22:52 AM

Is there anywhere we can see how much shares are?

You just do the math. 180,000,000/(total shares)= the value of each share.

looks like you'll need at least 10 shares to get 1 BTC. That would be 10,000 words for $100. It's still profitable but not nearly what it was.

If you write 80,000 words you'll get something like 8 BTC.

0.1BTC for something that I didn't spend all too long on? Not bad, not bad. Definately not as profitable anymore, but still a profit, and I'm a quick typer.

Yeah but in terms of quality, it's completely dead now. Anyone who wants to upload their whitepaper will probably still do it for $13 but I have a feeling in the next round it will be less than $5.
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:28:34 AM

Is it possible to receive devcoins for translations into French, for example?
Not yet, primarily I think because there aren't enough people to be able to vet/edit any writings not in english. You can offer to translate from french to english, if anybody is interested in taking you up on it:  http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

shame!!  Angry

it there's a lot of texts in English to translate .. and very few texts in other languages!

Community devcoins be more open to the world. DVC not have much interest if it there's only English fluent spoken who can benefit.

I do not think it is difficult to find volunteers to check texts in other languages.
I volunteered for the French. Who do I contact to advance much about this?
computer5723

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 07:42:26 PM

Two noob questions:
1) which round are we in right now? (and isn't the payout on July 3rd)?
2) how can I tell how many words I have written right now?

Thanks Smiley
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:33:50 PM

Two noob questions:

Thanks Smiley

1) 25 which ends on block 97k, 3rd july-ish is start of payout for round 24 on block 96k (basically payout is done with blocks, so right now with each block round 23 is being paid out until 3rd july etc...then moves in 4k block rounds forward).
2) output of daily scripts are here: devcoin scripts  'devtome earnings 25' will give a breakdown for wordcount in this round. It's empty at the moment and I'd guess this is because the receiver files for round 24 were checked and finalised yesterday, making sure everybody had a wallet etc; so from tomorrow they'll indicate the round 25 word counts, including any rollover from the cut-off time beteen round 24 and now). Check 'devtome earnings 24' for an example. 'receiver_summary.txt' gives the running total receiver lines for the round.
weisoq

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:45:50 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 09:57:16 PM by weisoq

Not yet, primarily I think because there aren't enough people to be able to vet/edit any writings not in english. You can offer to translate from french to english, if anybody is interested in taking you up on it:  http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

shame!!  Angry

it there's a lot of texts in English to translate .. and very few texts in other languages!

Community devcoins be more open to the world. DVC not have much interest if it there's only English fluent spoken who can benefit.

I do not think it is difficult to find volunteers to check texts in other languages.
It's still quite early days with devtome. I'm not sure what to say except that as a project started by english speakers it's going to take a while until there's enough of a trusted foreign language base to translate and check articles. As you can probably imagine people are quite hot on checking that other's aren't abusing the system with complete nonsense, effectively giving a growing foundation of accountability. Even then it's still sometimes necessary to delete/edit writings. That's just not possible in other languages until more non-english natives get involved.

You could post your interest in the main devcoin thread for when more french speakers could be involved with you in the future? Otherwise, your write ok english - certainly much better than my french - devtome's not the encyclopaedia brittanica of perfect grammatical english so perhaps you could still write and get somebody to edit a little for submission? There's a writer who translates french to english (or could be anybody) there's maybe a deal to be made there with him until more people are involved?
computer5723

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:57:32 PM

ah, that explains why I do not show up on the round 24.csv. Therefore, I presume that everything I write counts for round 25. As such, when does that round pay out (approximately - calendar date, not block count)?
alex0909

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:02:38 PM

Well with today's system and the low price of shares i find it un-manageable for me to translate in english long french texts, its easier for me to write in english even if i am french, and more interesting financially.

However if you want to be part of the community i'll help you and will translate one of your texts for round 25 for 40% of the sharecount.

Since it's one of the first translations that would ever be done on devtome, i guess it's a fair price Smiley``

I asked a few times for an administrator position, however i always was denied a position, i could manage the french texts and re-read them. I don't mind.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:54:20 PM

Two noob questions:

Thanks Smiley

1) 25 which ends on block 97k, 3rd july-ish is start of payout for round 24 on block 96k (basically payout is done with blocks, so right now with each block round 23 is being paid out until 3rd july etc...then moves in 4k block rounds forward).
2) output of daily scripts are here: devcoin scripts  'devtome earnings 25' will give a breakdown for wordcount in this round. It's empty at the moment and I'd guess this is because the receiver files for round 24 were checked and finalised yesterday, making sure everybody had a wallet etc; so from tomorrow they'll indicate the round 25 word counts, including any rollover from the cut-off time beteen round 24 and now). Check 'devtome earnings 24' for an example. 'receiver_summary.txt' gives the running total receiver lines for the round.

Thanks!
Luckybit

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:25:59 PM

Not yet, primarily I think because there aren't enough people to be able to vet/edit any writings not in english. You can offer to translate from french to english, if anybody is interested in taking you up on it:  http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

shame!!  Angry

Let me make a clear and ardent point, translation is the best purpose for Devtome. American writers will not have a use for it after a few months if it continues at this rate but translators and individuals who speak many languages will.

If it takes 100,000 words to produce 1 Bitcoin then in countries where 1 Bitcoin equals a lot, those 100,000 words are more likely to be produced.
JahPowerBit

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:20:40 AM

It's still quite early days with devtome. I'm not sure what to say except that as a project started by english speakers it's going to take a while until there's enough of a trusted foreign language base to translate and check articles. As you can probably imagine people are quite hot on checking that other's aren't abusing the system with complete nonsense, effectively giving a growing foundation of accountability. Even then it's still sometimes necessary to delete/edit writings. That's just not possible in other languages until more non-english natives get involved.

I fully understand that it takes time for a community grows internationally. But I think the community Devcoin not pay enough attention to this point. It would encourage more translators doing more advertising and may be paying more (I do not know how you win a translation from an original text).

You could post your interest in the main devcoin thread for when more french speakers could be involved with you in the future? Otherwise, your write ok english - certainly much better than my french - devtome's not the encyclopaedia brittanica of perfect grammatical english so perhaps you could still write and get somebody to edit a little for submission? There's a writer who translates french to english (or could be anybody) there's maybe a deal to be made there with him until more people are involved?

Thank you this is a very good idea. But my main concern is to have more text to read in French. And there's thousands of interesting texts in English that are unaffordable for many people. Devtome is for readers, not for authors. It should attract a maximum number of readers, I think this is the best way to encourage new writers.
Of course it is obvious that translate English text into another language brings more readers than the reverse, but that does not mean we should neglect this aspect.
JahPowerBit

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:27:55 AM

Well with today's system and the low price of shares i find it un-manageable for me to translate in english long french texts, its easier for me to write in english even if i am french, and more interesting financially.

However if you want to be part of the community i'll help you and will translate one of your texts for round 25 for 40% of the sharecount.

Since it's one of the first translations that would ever be done on devtome, i guess it's a fair price Smiley``

I asked a few times for an administrator position, however i always was denied a position, i could manage the french texts and re-read them. I don't mind.

Merci bien c'est sympa ;-)

I did not intend to write text, only translated into French texts that I find very interesting. But your proposal is interesting, can be an opportunity for me to get into writing...
weisoq

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:04:30 AM

I fully understand that it takes time for a community grows internationally. But I think the community Devcoin not pay enough attention to this point. It would encourage more translators doing more advertising and may be paying more (I do not know how you win a translation from an original text).

Thank you this is a very good idea. But my main concern is to have more text to read in French. And there's thousands of interesting texts in English that are unaffordable for many people. Devtome is for readers, not for authors. It should attract a maximum number of readers, I think this is the best way to encourage new writers.
Of course it is obvious that translate English text into another language brings more readers than the reverse, but that does not mean we should neglect this aspect.
I understand your points. The main aspect is that devtome is open-source. That means any material submitted can be copied anywhere. This also means there's an issue of copyright. A text written in a foreign language, if it's your own, and translated is fine. But does an english translation of a french text written by somebody else breach the original author's copyright? Probably. The same problem exists for submitting foreign language writings - there has to be a means of ensuring they're original because once on Devtome it's open-source - and this will take a pretty significant number of people to monitor.

So I don't think there's any particular reason why it can't be done, it's that pragmatically it's very difficult to do properly.

On your point about translations generally. That works in the same way as for submitting english work. You can't just take a foreign language text, translate it word for word into english and submit it as original. Checks on this aren't perfect, but there are checks. But you could improve upon an exisiting foreign language article(s) and submit as 'collated' which means it's based on another article, but rewritten in your own words with improvements, or bringing together various sources for example - and making it clear what those sources/original articles were.
weisoq

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:09:56 AM

Let me make a clear and ardent point, translation is the best purpose for Devtome. American writers will not have a use for it after a few months if it continues at this rate but translators and individuals who speak many languages will.

If it takes 100,000 words to produce 1 Bitcoin then in countries where 1 Bitcoin equals a lot, those 100,000 words are more likely to be produced.
It may/may not be. I don't know if you have articles on devtome but although the rate of growth has accelerated so far there are fewer than 100 writers. Nothing says that devtome articles have to be (or have been) written specifically for Devtome, so there's quite some room and time before everyone interested with something original and interesting to write about and submit on any topic has done so.
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:17:50 PM

I would talk to Unthinnkingbit. This is not available yet, but I believe we do need a program to make devtome readable and submittable in all languages, and we should have a team of translators to work on that.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:19:38 PM

To become an administrator, simply show initiative. Add prolific amounts of writing to Devtome, as well as helping new members register and other things of that nature.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:23:55 PM

I understand your points. The main aspect is that devtome is open-source. That means any material submitted can be copied anywhere. This also means there's an issue of copyright. A text written in a foreign language, if it's your own, and translated is fine. But does an english translation of a french text written by somebody else breach the original author's copyright? Probably. The same problem exists for submitting foreign language writings - there has to be a means of ensuring they're original because once on Devtome it's open-source - and this will take a pretty significant number of people to monitor.

Very true, I could take Harry Potter (all 8 books), write them in French and no one would know the difference, unless it reached the eyes of a French Potter fan. But by then the coins would be earned and spent.

I never thought of that aspect of security when thinking of this.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:25:14 PM

It may/may not be. I don't know if you have articles on devtome but although the rate of growth has accelerated so far there are fewer than 100 writers.

That's just because my brother died, if I had been doing my work the past 3 weeks (and I still haven't even gotten back to making videos) we would be well over 200 publishers by now.

Boelens

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:26:29 PM

It may/may not be. I don't know if you have articles on devtome but although the rate of growth has accelerated so far there are fewer than 100 writers.

That's just because my brother died, if I had been doing my work the past 3 weeks (and I still haven't even gotten back to making videos) we would be well over 200 publishers by now.

No, Finshaggy, we would not be over 200 publishers. The only thing you're doing is giving this coin horrible publicity, also, you're a pump and dumper. Seriously, nobody really wants you here AFAIK, and you're not helping at all. Stop spamming this topic and do something better with your time please.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:38:11 PM

No, Finshaggy, we would not be over 200 publishers. The only thing you're doing is giving this coin horrible publicity, also, you're a pump and dumper. Seriously, nobody really wants you here AFAIK, and you're not helping at all. Stop spamming this topic and do something better with your time please.

LOL, in case you didn't know I am one of this coins promoters (like as a job). So yes, the fact that I have been hindered from my job has effected recruitment.

What you call "pump and dump" is simply me doing what little of my work I can while not at home, and with my FIRST payment still coming in. So there isn't the possibility of dumping (since I'm not even completely paid yet).

If I had been able to be contacting friends about this opportunity over the past few weeks, instead of informing them of the death of my 11 year old brother, yes we would have over 200 publishers.

But for over 2 weeks now I have been mourning the hospitalization, then death of my brother. So you can shut the fuck up and keep your "keen" (very shitty, very skewed) observations to yourself.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: