Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:17:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASUS B250 Mining Expert MB - 19 Cards!  (Read 31058 times)
phrostb

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 04:57:17 PM

it looks like almost everyone with this board is running a combination of amd and nvidia cards? any reason not to do all amd or all nvidia? is anyone using simplemining? are all 3 molex/ATX connectors necessary? i have a server psu with a breakout board and i'm still playing with various mobo/cpu/card combinations trying to find the ideal one. having a lot of issues with the asrock h81 pro btc 2.0 and simplemining :/

I'm running on 2 13 gpu nvidia rigs using this mobo without any problems....only problem i have is the heat Smiley  I find it easier to not mix amd and nvidia to be honest with you..

i have some experience with about other motherboards but i always prefer to keep the gpus the same brand/style. evga 1060, pny 1080ti, msi 580. it makes it not only easier for bookkeeping for troubleshooting as well. i was just wondering why so many people were mixing gpus with this thing? i just setup this board about 10 minutes ago with 6 pny 1060 6gb, i'm about to go try to add 6 more.

have you tried getting more than 13 gpus on this thing?

edit: got 12 running fine, gonna try to do 16 on monday
For the millionth and one time in this thread...13 GPUs will work just fine but #14 - #19 has to be a P series card. IE: P106-100.

And there is no need to keep with the same brand or model series.  The board doesnt care when it comes to using #1 - #13 cards.  Troubleshooting is the same no matter what brand or series card used.
what's special about the P106-100 that this board prefers them? i've read a lot of thread and seen the example photos but i don't know how the P106 is markedly different from the gtx1060
Bigdrago

Activity: 312

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 05:04:34 PM

it looks like almost everyone with this board is running a combination of amd and nvidia cards? any reason not to do all amd or all nvidia? is anyone using simplemining? are all 3 molex/ATX connectors necessary? i have a server psu with a breakout board and i'm still playing with various mobo/cpu/card combinations trying to find the ideal one. having a lot of issues with the asrock h81 pro btc 2.0 and simplemining :/

I'm running on 2 13 gpu nvidia rigs using this mobo without any problems....only problem i have is the heat Smiley  I find it easier to not mix amd and nvidia to be honest with you..

i have some experience with about other motherboards but i always prefer to keep the gpus the same brand/style. evga 1060, pny 1080ti, msi 580. it makes it not only easier for bookkeeping for troubleshooting as well. i was just wondering why so many people were mixing gpus with this thing? i just setup this board about 10 minutes ago with 6 pny 1060 6gb, i'm about to go try to add 6 more.

For the millionth and one time in this thread...13 GPUs will work just fine but #14 - #19 has to be a P series card. IE: P106-100.

And there is no need to keep with the same brand or model series.  The board doesnt care when it comes to using #1 - #13 cards.  Troubleshooting is the same no matter what brand or series card used.
what's special about the P106-100 that this board prefers them? i've read a lot of thread and seen the example photos but i don't know how the P106 is markedly different from the gtx1060

It is ment for mining. No display output. And only a few months warranty.
phrostb

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:19:35 PM

well i know that but my question is why does the board itself care what kind of cards you install? shouldn't it be the OS/drivers that care?
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3621

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:50:54 PM

well i know that but my question is why does the board itself care what kind of cards you install? shouldn't it be the OS/drivers that care?

video cards probably tell the bios they need specific resources (irq, i/o and memory ranges) to display video. mining cards do not need those all resources and dont ask for them. since there are only so many resources  available to a bios there will be an upper limit for pure video cards.

at least that my guess.
phrostb

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:56:43 PM

video cards probably tell the bios they need specific resources (irq, i/o and memory ranges) to display video. mining cards do not need those all resources and dont ask for them. since there are only so many resources  available to a bios there will be an upper limit for pure video cards.

at least that my guess.

i never thought about that... so it sounds like you're saying this might be a BIOS limitation?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:01:03 PM

i never thought about that... so it sounds like you're saying this might be a BIOS limitation?

I said countless of times IT IS a bios limitation.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
phrostb

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:24:04 PM

I said countless of times IT IS a bios limitation.
and have you tried reaching out to ASUS to discuss a possible fix?
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

They have known before they created the motherboard, this is a mining motherboard, they can say only mining cards and you can't sue them, end of discussion, there is no fix unless a competitor comes and offers real 19 gaming gpus then they will release a bios that supports all 19 gaming gpus, this is about competition and it seems all other manufactures are offering only 13 gaming gpus. Call it a manufacture's mafia.

phrostb

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:33:12 PM

They have known before they created the motherboard, this is a mining motherboard, they can say only mining cards and you can't sue them, end of discussion, there is no fix unless a competitor comes and offers real 19 gaming gpus then they will release a bios that supports all 19 gaming gpus, this is about competition and it seems all other manufactures are offering only 13 gaming gpus. Call it a manufacture's mafia.
thanks for your insight
starrbuck

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2018, 09:41:16 PM

It's a great 13-card board too!
Bigdrago

Activity: 312

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 09:44:42 PM

It's a great 13-card board too!

No soubt about that. Been running since february with no downtime.
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:07:58 PM

A P106 is a 1060 with no video outs.  As far as the limitation goes on the m/b im not sure exactly why ASUS ended up with that setup.  Couldve been on purpose or the limitation is created by components on the m/b or there just isnt physically enough space on the m/b for needed components to support 6 more true GPU's.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:56:28 PM

A P106 is a 1060 with no video outs.  As far as the limitation goes on the m/b im not sure exactly why ASUS ended up with that setup.  Couldve been on purpose or the limitation is created by components on the m/b or there just isnt physically enough space on the m/b for needed components to support 6 more true GPU's.

Stop trolling, you are not helping, there is nothing to do physically with the motherboard.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 12:20:37 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2018, 03:56:57 PM by Vann

And there is no need to keep with the same brand or model series.  The board doesnt care when it comes to using #1 - #13 cards.  Troubleshooting is the same no matter what brand or series card used.

I believe mining cards operate in TCC mode by default. In BBT's testing with the Asus B250 Mining expert and how many cards he could run, he mentioned the mining cards were running in TCC mode instead of WDDM mode used by standard gaming GPU's. BBT had to download mining specific drivers for the mining cards to be detected by the OS, so it could also be a limitation with how many cards standard drivers will run in WDDM mode VS in TCC mode.

https://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/developertools/desktop/nsight/tesla_compute_cluster.htm

https://youtu.be/TzuSwO6I_oA?t=113
remauto1187ma

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:41:36 PM

A P106 is a 1060 with no video outs.  As far as the limitation goes on the m/b im not sure exactly why ASUS ended up with that setup.  Couldve been on purpose or the limitation is created by components on the m/b or there just isnt physically enough space on the m/b for needed components to support 6 more true GPU's.

Stop trolling, you are not helping, there is nothing to do physically with the motherboard.

Where in my quote did I say anything about "doing something with the m/b"?  Now whos the troll?
Asgaroth

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 11:08:23 PM

Hi All,

I've seen alot of people mentioning that they have 13 GPU's up on this board, I have a question or two for those people.

I've had this board for close to 6 months while only running with 7 RX580's, its been rock solid. Today I managed to get my grubby paws on 6 1070 ti's, but, I cannot get the board to see the 13th GPU, it always comes up with the 13th slot saying that there is an error detecting the card in it (it posts but slot B12 always comes up in error state on the post screen). I've tried different risers, usb cable, gen-1 pcie modules, even swapped the cards in that slot, but, it just wont see it.

Is there a specific slot order, or, placement of the amd/nvidia cards that needs to happen for this board to see all 13 gpu's?

At the moment, I have 7 x rx 580's plugged into PCIEX16_1 and slots A01 - A06, the nvidia 1070 ti's are plugged into slots B07 - B12, I'm just wondering if there is a specific slot order for nvidia/amd that needs to be done for it to detect all 13 gpu's.

How have you guys n gals plugged you amd/nvidia gpu's into your boards to get it to detect all 13 gpus?

Any thoughts / tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading thus far.
erkange

Activity: 76

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 12:08:40 PM

Hi All,

I've seen alot of people mentioning that they have 13 GPU's up on this board, I have a question or two for those people.

I've had this board for close to 6 months while only running with 7 RX580's, its been rock solid. Today I managed to get my grubby paws on 6 1070 ti's, but, I cannot get the board to see the 13th GPU, it always comes up with the 13th slot saying that there is an error detecting the card in it (it posts but slot B12 always comes up in error state on the post screen). I've tried different risers, usb cable, gen-1 pcie modules, even swapped the cards in that slot, but, it just wont see it.

Is there a specific slot order, or, placement of the amd/nvidia cards that needs to happen for this board to see all 13 gpu's?

At the moment, I have 7 x rx 580's plugged into PCIEX16_1 and slots A01 - A06, the nvidia 1070 ti's are plugged into slots B07 - B12, I'm just wondering if there is a specific slot order for nvidia/amd that needs to be done for it to detect all 13 gpu's.

How have you guys n gals plugged you amd/nvidia gpu's into your boards to get it to detect all 13 gpus?

check here ;

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034921
darkneorus

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 03:29:17 PM

Hi All,

the order doesn't matter. you can use any PCIe slots, even C13-C19 will work.
remauto1187ma

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:43:03 AM

Hi All,

the order doesn't matter. you can use any PCIe slots, even C13-C19 will work.

I second that.
Boriss

Activity: 728
Merit: 115

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2018, 06:12:37 AM

Hi, i am having trouble booting into the bios. i tried to press shift key when restart in win 10. it will ask me to restart into UEFI mode. but when it restarts its still skip the bios.

In official manual it says "Hold down DEL key in the boot process to enter the BIOS" Kiss
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: