Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:16:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Diversifying?  (Read 1368 times)
NUFCrichard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:11:46 PM

I bought my bitcoin a few years ago now. I was and am a believer, but the massive price increase has me worried that I am now overly invested in bitcoin.

It looks like I have 75% of my money in Bitcoin. Obviously it wasn't always like that, and it with the price rising so much recently, I find myself with a fair amount of money available for the first time in my life!
I know that Bitcointalk probably isn't the best place to ask this, but would you recommend diversifying and if so, in to what?

I was very happy when the price was $1000, but now it feels like I have enough that I could buy a flat or something. It used to be a speculative thing for me, I had invested what I could afford to lose, but now the price has risen so much that it could be easy come easy go, and the price falls back down to where it was last year.

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:54:13 PM

I think you should be happy that you were able to exploit a very good opportunity presented by Bitcoin. The recent dip in Bitcoin price is very temporary and soon it can be jumping like a cow with full energy again. All of these talks about bubbles and dips are just there to warn us to also diversify...and with 70% of your money in Bitcoin I think that is already good.

I am congratulating you for a well-made decision years ago. I wish I am in the same situation as you are now but maybe luck was not on my side then. All I can do is invest today hoping that years from now Bitcoin can really be very valuable. Anyway, as we don't really know what can happen tomorrow it is good that you are also thinking of diversifying.
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:59:30 PM

I bought my bitcoin a few years ago now. I was and am a believer, but the massive price increase has me worried that I am now overly invested in bitcoin.

It looks like I have 75% of my money in Bitcoin. Obviously it wasn't always like that, and it with the price rising so much recently, I find myself with a fair amount of money available for the first time in my life!
I know that Bitcointalk probably isn't the best place to ask this, but would you recommend diversifying and if so, in to what?

I was very happy when the price was $1000, but now it feels like I have enough that I could buy a flat or something. It used to be a speculative thing for me, I had invested what I could afford to lose, but now the price has risen so much that it could be easy come easy go, and the price falls back down to where it was last year.

This was really an inspiring story for someone who did invest 75% of his money into bitcoin and not only that he did bought on cheaper prices.This question would really depend on whats on your mind and just follow on the things on what you mind and heart do tell you.You can actually cashout those money you piled up and cherish the profits that you waited for long but i bet you wont really do such thing.In this case if you are asking if its good to diversify then we all know here that diversifying is always be a good step for us too make because we do add up our options or back up plans if one would fail.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
webtricks
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 02:22:12 PM

Yes, diversification is indeed required. Although Bitcoin has much more potential left to rise but we really can't anticipate future. Let say if BTC drowned to $2500 or less, it will be major setback for you. What I suggest you is to constantly look for solid ICO projects. Periodic investment in new projects can help you multiplying your investment in short period and will balance your losses in Bitcoin investment if any in future.
However being Bitcoin believer, I think it is still far below the saturation point and can cross new milestone in coming years.

carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 02:25:55 PM

that's the great rewards being a believer mate I think with how you grow your investment in terms to fiat value for sure you will be able to put some business from where you are right now, diversifying but looking for another opportunity would be a great option doing both with bitcoin and another source of profits
like investing with real food business or service which is needed from your country will give you twice income.
CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 02:51:43 PM

Recent surges is so tempting to get profits and I've got my share, just a bit but enough for several months I guess.
Diversify is always a better way instead of depend on 1 source, if you can buy a flat or something, then buy it. I always want to buy gold, land, or make a business to create another source of income or long term investment. But, do not buy some things that will costs even more monthly such as car or something like that. Bitcoin is a great investment as well, so do not sell big part of your savings, just 20%-25% will be enough.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 02:57:56 PM

What I suggest you is to constantly look for solid ICO projects.

In what known universe is that diversification? Bet your ridiculously speculative gains on something even more ridiculous and even more speculative?

Approximately 93% of my value is in crypto now. I don't have any plans to diversify in the slightest.

If I did then I'd buy a couple of lumps of gold for a laugh, some lockup garages or paddocks to rent out (I wouldn't bother with anything involving tenants, too much red tape, tax and potential for expenses, disaster and arseholes), a little bit into reputable P2P lending, drip feed into some trackers, and if you can afford to buy a place to live then that's a no brainer too.

P2Pfinder

Activity: 249
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:03:13 PM

I think you need t start to hedge your position (easiest way is to open some intraday sell trades and close it at the end of day)
Lyancy001

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:15:03 PM

For having that huge money, you should. You could try some other business. Trading could also be good, but you should study it well tho. And try to donate some to charity. Smiley
NavySeals

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:21:20 PM

Great to see another believer of bitcoin like me. I followed the same pathway like you. I diversified my total budget intot the categories.

50% for bitcoin
20% for ethereum
15% for USDT for possible buy opportunities
The rest 15% is for promising and strong altcoins for long term.

You can create a similar portfolio.
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:23:54 PM

At the time you bought your BTC for sure it was not that much money, so there was no diversification problem. But due to the price increase, this would mean that compared to all your fiat investments bitcoins are now a huge chunk of your assets. I would say that you don't need to diversify since there is great opportunity to profit here and you should just ride out the wave first. It's still your investment.
P2Pfinder

Activity: 249
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:27:44 PM

Great to see another believer of bitcoin like me. I followed the same pathway like you. I diversified my total budget intot the categories.

50% for bitcoin
20% for ethereum

This is a Bitcoin related asset allocation: if bitcoin goes down, all portfolio go down. If he want to diversify his portfolio, he need to go on different asset not related with bitcoin.
WatchMaker

Activity: 518
Merit: 104

PUFFY FINANCE

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:49:45 PM

50% for bitcoin
20% for ethereum

Don't forget to reinvest on bitcoin mining and other altcoins like Ethereum, Dash, and Zcash.
Try and diversify your ways with bitcoin and Altcoin mining as additional source of income.

Swap & Trade Tokens, Enjoy Great Yield & APYs
▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬  PUFFY FINANCE  ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬
▬▬▬JOIN PRIVATE SALE▬▬▬ >>Early Opportunity<<▬▬▬
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:51:45 PM

For having that huge money, you should. You could try some other business. Trading could also be good, but you should study it well tho. And try to donate some to charity. Smiley

It seems you are a superstitious, charity guy is a good thing, but it is not a necessity when you are poor, try to get rich, you can help anyone when you are rich, So, we must save!
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2017, 04:54:50 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2017, 05:27:57 PM by deisik

I was very happy when the price was $1000, but now it feels like I have enough that I could buy a flat or something. It used to be a speculative thing for me, I had invested what I could afford to lose, but now the price has risen so much that it could be easy come easy go, and the price falls back down to where it was last year

Diversifying for the sake of diversifying is pretty meaningless

You should know the asset which you are going to park your money in. The only asset which is and will always be there and which you don't need to know any gory details of is gold. I refer to physical gold as gold bars and gold coins. So if you can't resist the urge, gold is a sure bet. It won't give you decent profits, and, in fact, it will likely give you no profits at all (at least, short to mid term), but you will never have to feel the pain of your wealth losing value

Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:55:33 PM

I like your idea. Investing in ownself to be a better person and charity to help others. You have nice inner my Friend.
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 05:05:47 PM

You are not alone. Same is the case with me. I used to have a highly diversified investment plan including stocks, bonds, property and cryptos specifically Bitcoin. This was the story of 2015. After huge returns I earned through Bitcoin, I transferred my stocks and bonds invested amount to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. After that I made some huge losses in altcoin trading. Now I rarely do trading and my most of the investment is in Bitcoin. I no longer diversify much as I believe Bitcoin has long to go. It has the potential to give huge returns in less time. I still have some amount invested in gold, bonds and stocks. But amount invested in Bitcoin is way more than all of them together. I believe Bitcoin is safe a bet today.
pearlmen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 05:07:18 PM

For being a believer, you have already made enough for yourself and even if you have to pull out now, you have done well. Putting 75% of your funds in bitcoin will place you under unnecessary pressure which might lead to rash decisions. I would advise that you diversify out of fiat and reduce the investment to like say 50% so you have a shock absorber in case of emergency.
NUFCrichard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 05:14:24 PM

I was very happy when the price was $1000, but now it feels like I have enough that I could buy a flat or something. It used to be a speculative thing for me, I had invested what I could afford to lose, but now the price has risen so much that it could be easy come easy go, and the price falls back down to where it was last year

Diversifying for the sake of diversifying is meaningless

You should know the asset which you are going to put your money in. The only asset which is and will always be there and which you don't need to know any gory details of is gold. I refer to physical gold as gold bars and gold coins. So if you can't resist the urge, gold is a sure bet. It won't give you decent profits, and, in fact, it will likely give you no profits at all (at least, short to mid term), but you will never have to feel the pain of your wealth losing value

I am with you here and do own some precious metals. I have collected silver slowly over the last few years (starting at $17, so no big losses), mainly bullion, but some junk silver too.
I always thought it would be great to own some gold, and I have a few ounces now, which I am happy about.

I wouldn't be scared holding lots of PMs, except for possibly missing out if Bitcoin does go to $10k or even more.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2017, 05:20:28 PM

Diversifying for the sake of diversifying is meaningless

You should know the asset which you are going to put your money in. The only asset which is and will always be there and which you don't need to know any gory details of is gold. I refer to physical gold as gold bars and gold coins. So if you can't resist the urge, gold is a sure bet. It won't give you decent profits, and, in fact, it will likely give you no profits at all (at least, short to mid term), but you will never have to feel the pain of your wealth losing value

I am with you here and do own some precious metals. I have collected silver slowly over the last few years (starting at $17, so no big losses), mainly bullion, but some junk silver too.
I always thought it would be great to own some gold, and I have a few ounces now, which I am happy about.

I wouldn't be scared holding lots of PMs, except for possibly missing out if Bitcoin does go to $10k or even more.
Another option would be to keep an eye on the price of Bitcoin and sell when the price is dropping significantly and rebuying when the price goes up again.
That way you're taking advantage from those price drops.

I'm don't mean that you should become a day trader, only sell & rebuy when you notice big price movements.
You can also follow a few people who do chart analysis and compare their results to get a somewhat correct view of the charts.

I know this is fairly risky, but as with anything: no risk, no gains.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: