Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:23:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Water Cooling  (Read 13897 times)
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:48:09 AM

You can put it onto --avalon-auto and it will sort out the freq automagicly by looking at the % of hardware errors. Air cooled systems run at 365 MHz here, water cooled should go up to 400+ (450 MHz max)

Would it be enough to enter that into the "More Options(Default: --quiet)" field in the GUI?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:53:36 AM

You can put it onto --avalon-auto and it will sort out the freq automagicly by looking at the % of hardware errors. Air cooled systems run at 365 MHz here, water cooled should go up to 400+ (450 MHz max)

Would it be enough to enter that into the "More Options(Default: --quiet)" field in the GUI?
Yes.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:07:41 AM

Very nice, I want like to test a set up like that  but I think for me is easier for me run on air. I have a balcony about the same size with nice insulation, for aditional 800watts(the chiller) I could just put the air conditioner there and run two or three avalons@350 below 51 degrees. But there is the noise.

If we build more blocks how cheap they can get?

I think new firmware versions let you input the desired clock.
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

Start reading here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140539.msg2623883#msg2623883 for more information about cgminer extra options.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:02:48 AM

Very nice, I want like to test a set up like that  but I think for me is easier for me run on air. I have a balcony about the same size with nice insulation, for aditional 800watts(the chiller) I could just put the air conditioner there and run two or three avalons@350 below 51 degrees. But there is the noise.

The price of the block really depends on the number you order. For orders <100 piece you will not be able to get much below the 150$ I mentioned.
If you change the design a little (thinner, less material) and open the tolerances you might be able to approach 50$/piece for large orders.

The chiller (800W) is not always running... when it is it makes noise like the outside part of an air condition unit.
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 09:00:44 AM

The price of the block really depends on the number you order. For orders <100 piece you will not be able to get much below the 150$ I mentioned.
If you change the design a little (thinner, less material) and open the tolerances you might be able to approach 50$/piece for large orders.

The chiller (800W) is not always running... when it is it makes noise like the outside part of an air condition unit.

What temperature do you chill down the water to? Would running ambient temp water suffice if its open loop?

Instead of going thinner, you could mount 2 modules to single sink...

el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:05:56 AM

I run the water now at ~30 degree Celsius, I have 36 ambient temp today with high moisture.
2 pcb's @ one heat sink is not a bad idea, however impossible now with the top board.

You can put it onto --avalon-auto and it will sort out the freq automagicly by looking at the % of hardware errors.

I did that, and it didn't change the frequency for about 20 minutes now - running at ~1.2% HW errors. Can it be that it only works with readings of the fan RPM's?
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:09:58 AM

maybe Build a flat cable to connect the top board, and make then setup even prettieR Cheesy

edit: mAybe not  dont think flat cables can handle that much powe,can they?
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 09:19:32 AM

Is there any risk from using open loop system running tap water in such systems? i.e. corossion, mineral deposits, etc?

irritant

Activity: 473

Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:40:21 AM

I run the water now at ~30 degree Celsius, I have 36 ambient temp today with high moisture.
2 pcb's @ one heat sink is not a bad idea, however impossible now with the top board.

You can put it onto --avalon-auto and it will sort out the freq automagicly by looking at the % of hardware errors.

I did that, and it didn't change the frequency for about 20 minutes now - running at ~1.2% HW errors. Can it be that it only works with readings of the fan RPM's?

hmm yes , it is also adjusting the fanspeed, and if that doesn't help it lowers the freq, when temp is below target it tries to increase freq and decrease fan again .. so maybe it needs those fan readings to work (?)
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:59:53 AM

Is there any risk from using open loop system running tap water in such systems? i.e. corossion, mineral deposits, etc?

At first your environmental responsibility should tell you not to do so. Secondly: condensation.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:33:03 AM

At first your environmental responsibility should tell you not to do so. Secondly: condensation.

And obviously mineral deposits present over the use of distilled water.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:15:08 PM

One unexpected problem i had with submerged oil cooling:  Wicking -- oil traveling through stranded wire by capillary action -> gravity flow.  Had a really simple test setup, and after a couple of days noticed the connector of a submerged temp probe felt oily.  Took apart the PS which was left outside of the oil tank, and there was oil inside that too.  Just a silly detail to think about.
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:27:51 AM

I know, nothing special - but it is the best I can get my hands on at the moment...

What kind of scientist wouldn't check his measurement equipment for plausibility?

In the lower and also higher range?

Hm.

Temperature of the voltage converters

Chips themselves

Cooling plate

Chiller at set value 29 degree (We have 36 outside at the moment and the dew point is around that)

Pump (cheap, around 30$) and two rigs

"Nongfu Spring" - my favorite! Running on pure water at the moment, still not sure what to use as a fluid later on. I was already thinking about adding alcohol to prevent this from growing inside my water, but I am a little hesitant because of the sealings and stuff.

Still a mess, will clean up after everything is working

Water inlet

Return temperature after 3 modules in serial connection

Thanks for your attention.
dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:01:45 PM

Nice work man Smiley

since aluminum is kind of expensive and drilling those wholes can't be achieved by most DIY folks, would you think some setup like this would be good or even better?

http://imageshack.us/f/360/mkhdd4max02400hz0.jpg/
did you consider this? I think a user posted something similar to this. I'm also looking into making my own watercooler, help would be very much appreciated!

Hai
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:16:09 PM

Nice work man Smiley

since aluminum is kind of expensive and drilling those wholes can't be achieved by most DIY folks, would you think some setup like this would be good or even better?

http://imageshack.us/f/360/mkhdd4max02400hz0.jpg/
did you consider this? I think a user posted something similar to this. I'm also looking into making my own watercooler, help would be very much appreciated!

Aluminium is expensive? Did you buy copper lately?
Yes, I considered such a design and I think it's more doable with your tools at home. I however think it will be difficult to get the surface flat and straight if you are only using sheet metal as basis and then apply heat when soldering.
I am pretty sure submerging is the to-go way for DIY. I just didn't want to have all the oil on my balcony...

I published the manufacturing drawing, just let a machining shop near you quote it.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 04:48:14 PM

Have you considered selling water cooling kits?

Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 09:58:25 PM

Have you considered selling water cooling kits?

There is a inbuild construction error; Do to the electric connectors its just possible to use 3 drills.

This is not the case for the avalon cool element design:
http://92.105.105.155/qcool/AvalonQcool2.pdf

@el_rlee: the qcool element is open source, so if you would like to produce and sell kits, feel free to do so Smiley

ecliptic

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:02:05 PM

Are those smooth holes for the water channels with threads on the ends so you can mount the fittings/etc with the threads, or threaded all the way through? 

Looks like 15mm(?) of threads
el_rlee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:53:15 PM

Are those smooth holes for the water channels with threads on the ends so you can mount the fittings/etc with the threads, or threaded all the way through? 

Looks like 15mm(?) of threads

They are smooth inside, you can see the detail "X" on the drawing. Yes, min 15mm of threads. Americans, be aware that this thread is straight, the fittings need a sealing!

As a conclusion of my design I would say it's over specified but totally does it's job. I am running with 30 degree cooling water but cannot clock my miners higher any ways because that would require a voltage modification. Also the step down power converters are at their limits.
It would totally be possible to produce a cheaper solution, maybe like somebody mentioned before a copper plate with soldered-on pipe. Also the surface smoothness of "Ra 1.6" is way smoother than the original heat sink and makes it expensive.

@Icoin: Your module looks like it only cools the ASIC's and not the voltage converters? Did somebody already build it and use it on an Avalon? I would be curious about other peoples experiences.

I don't feel that there is a market for selling the cooling elements. To much work is involved until you have a running solution, even if you buy the heat sinks. If you want to produce larger quantities a redesign would make sense. Maybe in a way of fixing a PCB on both sides.

The main advantage for me is clearly that the noise is much (really really much!) less and I can keep my rig on the balcony in a hot, humid and dusty environment without worrying too much.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: