Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:51:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to run an Anarchy  (Read 17518 times)
smellyBobby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:12:50 AM

Cool I murder in my spare time for fun. I like the idea that everyone will think punishment is a silly concept and believe in unconditional forgiveness. I also own a weapons company and use the most advanced weapons available. It seems that I will be able to have more fun in anarchy.

Best of luck. What would you like your epitaph to read? "Troll to the end?"

Maybe we should create a fantasy forum so you can share ideas about your next fiction release.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tawsix

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:15:14 AM

You're not answering the question on how to stop a murderer from murdering again.  Forget the punishment or restitution, how do you stop them from continuing?

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:15:28 AM

All I can say is that I would prefer people didn't deal out pain in the name of pleasure.

That's all it is in the end: a preference.
Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:15:52 AM

You're not answering the question on how to stop a murderer from murdering again.  Forget the punishment or restitution, how do you stop them from continuing?
You kill them/coerce them if continued destruction is truly ensured.
smellyBobby

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:18:59 AM

Justice is pointless.

Definately not pointless.  Justice for a murderer (a real one, not an accidental one or an incidental one) is death.  Incarceration is not.
What is really gained in the end? A sense of egalitarian pleasure? How irrational.

I never said I was against it being used as a effective disincentive.

Yea your right Atlas, you did not explicitly say you were against using it as a disincentive. I agree the whole concept of punishment is irrational if the taken from the communities perspective. It is a complete waste of resources. Unfortunately it is one of the many costs of human interaction. We either bear the costs of interaction in a lawless society or the costs in a lawful society.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:20:29 AM

Justice is pointless.

Definately not pointless.  Justice for a murderer (a real one, not an accidental one or an incidental one) is death.  Incarceration is not.
What is really gained in the end? A sense of egalitarian pleasure? How irrational.

I never said I was against it being used as a effective disincentive.

Yea your right Atlas, you did not explicitly say you were against using it as a disincentive. I agree the whole concept of punishment is irrational if the taken from the communities perspective. It is a complete waste of resources. Unfortunately it is one of the many costs of human interaction. We either bear the costs of interaction in a lawless society or the costs in a lawful society.

You love the status-quo. You can't bear the idea of change.
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:23:03 AM

That's the most cogent and coherent thing I've ever seen you write. Keep this up, and I might actually make responding to you a habit.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
smellyBobby

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:24:13 AM

I would not be here if I didn't want change. I am not going to advocate an unproven method. Simple. In any engineering discipline, if there is going to be a complete overhaul of the system there will always be some sought of testing before proceeding with a dramatic change.

I need a job!!!!

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:26:43 AM

I would not be here if I didn't want change. I am not going to advocate an unproven method. Simple. In any engineering discipline, if there is going to be a complete overhaul of the system there will always be some sought of testing before proceeding with a dramatic change.
Unfortunately, the only way to test these things is going to take more than a dip of a leg or two. Our political systems have always been defined by dramatic change and revolution.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:32:26 AM

I would not be here if I didn't want change. I am not going to advocate an unproven method. Simple. In any engineering discipline, if there is going to be a complete overhaul of the system there will always be some sort of testing before proceeding with a dramatic change.

Interestingly enough, That's exactly what Agorism is: The construction of a voluntary system within the rotting shell of the old, coercive system. Testing it, step by step, until it's robust enough to replace the old one.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:56:09 AM

So, on one hand, you say that people won't care about the consequences of their actions, and on the other, you say they don't. The people who care about consequences, will still care about consequences, and the people who don't, still won't. What I suggest, is making those consequences benefit the victim, rather than punish the victim and culprit, and benefit the State.

As to the example you gave, in a poor economy, jobs are scarce. In a good economy, workers are scarce.

I'm saying "people" is a very broad definition. There are are people who wouldn't commit a crime to save their life, and there are people who would in every possible opportunity, just for fun, and most of us are somewhere in between. Laws are there to stop the "in between" folks.

What I see you're saying is: First let's make ourself a victim, then let's compensate him/her.
I would prefer avoiding making victims if possible. Say, by putting up rules for how you are allowed to treat people?

Agreed with the economy analysis. So in a poor economy some people are expendable?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 07:05:31 AM

What I see you're saying is: First let's make ourself a victim, then let's compensate him/her.
I would prefer avoiding making victims if possible. Say, by putting up rules for how you are allowed to treat people?

Agreed with the economy analysis. So in a poor economy some people are expendable?

What I'm saying is that the consequences we establish should not damage the victim again. And I never said there would not be rules. There are. Only one, but there are rules. (if you need a reminder, go check the first post)

In a poor economy, unfortunately, people become expendable. It's a sad state of affairs, and one that Anarchism/Voluntarism seeks to remedy by removing the factors holding the economy back.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 02:31:50 PM

I would not be here if I didn't want change. I am not going to advocate an unproven method. Simple. In any engineering discipline, if there is going to be a complete overhaul of the system there will always be some sort of testing before proceeding with a dramatic change.

Interestingly enough, That's exactly what Agorism is: The construction of a voluntary system within the rotting shell of the old, coercive system. Testing it, step by step, until it's robust enough to replace the old one.

Indeed, bitcoin is one small part of this test.  By using bitcoin, everyone here is helping us construct a voluntary system in the shell of the coercive money monopoly, whether intentionally or not
 .  I thank everyone here for their participation and help.  Bitcoin is a crucial piece of infrastructure necessary to build up the voluntary society, as we have been seeking an unregulated peer-to-peer currency for quite some time now, unlike gold which is too heavy and impractical to carry around or exchange over long distances.

So thank you, smellyBobby.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
lathomas64

Activity: 127

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:51:17 PM

So who all were the recommended reading authors for this thread? it was split up between a number of posts.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:13:33 PM

This one has everybody in it:

This bears the earmarks of someone who's not done a lot of study, but has applied a lot of thought.

Some suggestions:

Murray Rothbard
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Samuel Konkin III

Climb up on the shoulders of some giants. (Yes, I intentionally put conflicting ideologies in there)

I'd also add Kevin Carson and Anthony DeJasay to that list

Don't forget Lysander Spooner, you spoony bard!

There's a nice assortment of various 'stripes' of anarchy there.

lathomas64

Activity: 127

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:42:54 PM

Thanks for allowing me to be lazy myrakul

reformatted:
Murray Rothbard
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Samuel Konkin III
Kevin Carson
Anthony DeJasay
Lysander Spooner
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:52:22 PM

Yup. Note that each and every one of those people will disagree with the others on at least one point, and many will completely contradict. That way, you can form your own opinions, while still having some very smart people to give you advice.

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 12:47:43 AM

To be honest, for premeditated murder, and serial/mass murder, I'd probably give the killer to the deceased's next of kin, and turn my back.

That's fair. Ideally, if A kills B then we would put B's dead body in one chamber of a machine and A's live body in the other chamber of the machine and transfer A's life to B. Since we don't have a machine like that, the next best thing is to give A's life to B's heirs and they can do whatever they want with it, including public execution.
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:54:34 AM

To be honest, for premeditated murder, and serial/mass murder, I'd probably give the killer to the deceased's next of kin, and turn my back.

That's fair. Ideally, if A kills B then we would put B's dead body in one chamber of a machine and A's live body in the other chamber of the machine and transfer A's life to B. Since we don't have a machine like that, the next best thing is to give A's life to B's heirs and they can do whatever they want with it, including public execution.

The blood thirst here is scary. How does another murder help anything? It just creates more victims. Even a murderer has family that cares about him/her. It might prevent more murders, although it's not the only way, and who knows if the person would ever kill again? And that's assuming that no mistake has been done finding the killer. What if you managed to find and kill an innocent, then what? Does another murder put that right?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 06:05:06 AM

The blood thirst here is scary. How does another murder help anything? It just creates more victims. Even a murderer has family that cares about him/her. It might prevent more murders, although it's not the only way, and who knows if the person would ever kill again? And that's assuming that no mistake has been done finding the killer. What if you managed to find and kill an innocent, then what? Does another murder put that right?

Read fully the original post of mine that was quoted.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: