Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:31:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FutureBit Moonlander 2: The Most Powerful and Efficient USB Stick Miner!  (Read 82931 times)
jbonifacio

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:02:21 PM

Regarding powered hubs - it seems the only place that has superbpag hubs is Amazon India. That's not going to work for me. eBay doesn't have any listing. I've looked elsewhere for any hub that provides 2A per port with no luck. Any suggestions where I can purchase one?
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MaSch242

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:47:18 PM

what about connecting a cheap hub directly to the rig's powersupply?

like this ..

http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-cheap-USB-hub/
Valnurat

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:42:37 PM

How to get these?
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2090
Merit: 1395

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:47:04 AM

Update for you guys!

Got the semi-final production design in and currently going through its rounds of testing. So far everything is checking out and will probably freeze this design for the production board. Pic below so you guys can get an idea of the size and what the final board will look like!

Bottom is the prototype/dev board, middle is the new pre-production design, and top is the old Moonlander 1 for comparison.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
soifigured

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:58:38 AM

Are powering the miner externally?  Is there the possibility that there will be a set of test points on the board we could use to give 5 volts externally?

Update for you guys!

Got the semi-final production design in and currently going through its rounds of testing. So far everything is checking out and will probably freeze this design for the production board. Pic below so you guys can get an idea of the size and what the final board will look like!

Bottom is the prototype/dev board, middle is the new pre-production design, and top is the old Moonlander 1 for comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/7wEUgtN.jpg?1
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:59:01 AM

Update for you guys!

did you think about making the bfgminer driver coexist with the original moonlanders?
dora-gt

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:08:16 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 01:48:20 PM by dora-gt

Are powering the miner externally?  Is there the possibility that there will be a set of test points on the board we could use to give 5 volts externally?

I think you don't need to do it because they are powered by USB, but USB hub (if you use) need to be powered.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.msg21486145#msg21486145

It consumes about 5W normally (maybe around 4MH), about 1.5W/MH but it doesn't increase linearly.Please read the thread.

did you think about making the bfgminer driver coexist with the original moonlanders?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.msg21268132#msg21268132

You mean that you don't want to run 2 instances of bfgminer?
So you want to compile bfgminer with 2 different Moonlander driver?
I don't know whether he is going to provide it.

Refer to this too.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.msg21287033#msg21287033
soifigured

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:39:37 PM

I think you don't need to do it because they are powered by USB, but USB hub (if you use) need to be powered.

It consumes about 5W normally (maybe around 4MH), about 1.5W/MH but it doesn't increase linearly.Please read the thread.

I understand that they can be powered by the hub.  What I was curious about is if I could deliver power externally through a bench top power supply.  Then I don't have to worry about the hub being able to deliver the required power.  So if there are some test points on the board I can deliver power directly to, I would be able to use older hubs I have laying around.  In the picture provided we can see that he has soldered power directly to the +5 and ground pins of the usb connector so I can assume that power is being delivered externally.  I personally would rather deliver or supplement power somewhere else on the pwa/pcb such as repurposing a test point.     
DeepTerrfici

Activity: 275
Merit: 100

Data Collecting Textile Circuitry

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:48:25 PM

Where can I still preorder?

theinvestdude

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

Bounty Manager For Hire!!

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:51:11 PM

Where can I still preorder?

its already SOLD OUT and you can only purchase it from a reseller which will cost x3 to x5 of the price. goodluck
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:50:33 PM

I understand that they can be powered by the hub.  What I was curious about is if I could deliver power externally through a bench top power supply.  Then I don't have to worry about the hub being able to deliver the required power.  So if there are some test points on the board I can deliver power directly to, I would be able to use older hubs I have laying around.  In the picture provided we can see that he has soldered power directly to the +5 and ground pins of the usb connector so I can assume that power is being delivered externally.  I personally would rather deliver or supplement power somewhere else on the pwa/pcb such as repurposing a test point.     

Those wires actually go to a small fan I'm testing, but if you want to power them externally I would just get a cheap hub, open it up, and solder its +5v and GND to an external 5v supply.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Astrali

Activity: 281
Merit: 130

Crypto Addicted

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 08:00:16 PM

your pics show rests of thermal compound - will they be delivered including heatsink or will we have to find a heatsink that fits on our own?

Join the mining! pool.cryptopowered.club    Smiley   || Need a miner? Rent one! MiningRigRentals
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 09:22:36 PM

your pics show rests of thermal compound - will they be delivered including heatsink or will we have to find a heatsink that fits on our own?

Yes everything you need to run it will come with it, including heatsink and possibly a small fan.

Astrali

Activity: 281
Merit: 130

Crypto Addicted

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 10:49:15 PM

Yes everything you need to run it will come with it, including heatsink and possibly a small fan.

this sounds great!
the possibility for external power would be lovely as well.
otherwise i will have to hack some usb cable or switch Wink

Join the mining! pool.cryptopowered.club    Smiley   || Need a miner? Rent one! MiningRigRentals
buzztiaan

Activity: 148
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:32:15 AM

if you want to power them externally I would just get a cheap hub, open it up, and solder its +5v and GND to an external 5v supply.
Awesome, this was totally what i had planned Cheesy
org0x004

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:45:56 AM

Do we have an estimated shipping date? Smiley
dora-gt

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:16:12 PM

Do we have an estimated shipping date? Smiley

I want to know too, but just trust him and give him time to do the best work Cheesy

When I saw his picture of the production candidate (smaller than dev) and the following message of considering heatsink and small fan, I felt his passion for the product.
That is great. So I want him to do what he wants, to improve the product.
sunk818

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 01:07:21 AM

Are there plans for Moon lander 2.1 where overcooking has physical barriers out led indicators for voltage or clock speed? I don't know How much parts like this raises the unit cost.

mel0924

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:20:00 AM

UPDATE 9/4/17

Pre-order is now over...please use the below linked pre-order thread for all discussion on order related topics

UPDATE 9/1/17

Official Pre-order has started and links are here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2141261.msg21415891#msg21415891

==============================

Well this one has been a long time coming, but after many months of negotiations, design, and testing I finally have a new USB Stick miner to announce based on a latest gen scrypt chip, that makes this stick one of the most powerful, profitable, and efficient USB Stick miners ever released (even beats bitmain in efficiency with about 1.3 w/mh)!

Like with the original Moonlander project, my goals are the same for this stick and what it means for the crypto community. Build a low cost and easy to use scrypt USB miner that will put mining and Litecoin use into thousands of hands that would have never had the means or experience to do mining before! Except I can hopefully realize this goal this time around, since the original Moonlander project was based on a obsolete chip I happened to get the last remaining stock in, this chip is in full production, and have access to the first batches of chips from the foundry!

So without further ado here is the FutureBit Moonlander 2! (this is currently my testing prototype PCB...ill update pics with the near final design next week!...the PCB will actually be slightly smaller than the original)

Specs: (these are prototype specs and can change in production version)

- 3mh to 5mh scrypt performance per miner
- uses about 1.5w/mh for most of that range
- core clock from 500mhz to nearly 1GHz!
- fully customizable core voltage range from .6 - 1v
- Fully redesigned 5v->core voltage stage with about 95% efficiency
- Heavy duty/over speced parts were used to ensure wide range of operation (stick can be pushed to nearly 6mh if you can cool it)
- status LEDs for power, TX and RX transmission
- uses latest bfgminer 5.4 for control
- Will work with all Mac OS, Linux, and Windows based PCs, as well as RPi's etc (and I will be offering easy to use pre-compiled binaries)

The Moonlander 2 is over 4x the speed, over 5x the efficiency, and nearly 5x the profitability (if you guys remember when the original moonlander came out, it was doing about $2 a month, this stick is doing almost $10 per month at current price/difficulty). This beats out any other stick miner whether scrypt or any other algo!

Best part is that this stick is consuming under 5 watts at its peak efficiency range (~ 4MH), so unlike the original Moonlander which was nearly impossible to operate without a hub and fan, this stick can easily run on USB 2 power with no fan in the 3-4MH range.

Production:

I am finalizing the PCB/thermal design in the next few weeks, and my chip purchase is scheduled for delivery mid October. Everything should be in order to do a full batch run as soon as I get the chips in October, so shipments will be ready to start probably at the end of October/Early November. I will probably have near final design/prototype units to send out by end of next week.

Pre-Order/Cost:

Just like the original Moonlander I'm more interested in getting mining and crypto out to as many hands as possible than pure profits (so I need you guys to push these out to all your friends for stocking stuffers and introduction crypto/mining!). While id love to keep the price at around $30 like the original, it will unfortunately not be possible this time around since I got the original ASIC for practically free, this time its a brand new ASIC so I'm paying around $15 just for the ASIC alone. Pricing will most likely be in the 50-60 USD range. (Considering my original is still selling for over $50, and this one is way more efficient and profitable I hope you guys still consider this a steal).

Ordering will also be done a little differently this time, since Im a one guy shop, I was pretty overwhelmed in shipping out hundreds of sticks in time for everyone to get them ASAP, and this time the number of sticks will be way more so I have enlisted a few distributors around the world to handle pre-orders and distribution. Most of these guys you already know and trust so hope that wont be an issue. If you are planning on ordering more than 50 sticks, you can still contact me for direct ordering.

USA/Canada/NA will be handled by Scott at HolyBitcoin, and ASICPuppy
Europe and surrounding areas will be handled by Bitshopper.de

As soon as details and price are finalized, I will put up separate thread for ordering and each of these guys will have links up and your will be able to pre-order directly through them (most likely within the next two weeks).

If there is enough interest in additional areas (probably Asia/Australia regions) please contact me if you wish to distribute in those regions.

Keep in mind I will work with the distributors to keep fair launch pricing on the initial batch, but this will be only for the initial pre-order batch, and wont be able to control pricing past this. The initial batch is for about 1-2k units, so if you want to pick one up at the initial pricing I would pre-order.

BIG THANKS to all the original buyers of my Moonlander stick...you guys made #2 possible, and hopefully with the success of Moonlander 2 ill be able to launch even some more interesting projects I'm working on!

Keep hashing and spread the word!

Oh and some screenshots of the device actually hashing

Normal operation at my scypt pool...driver is not complete yet so its not reporting hardware hashrate...pool hashrate is displayed (756 MHz clock @ 6 watts... ~ 1.4 w/mh!)

Stress test...nearly 6MH!

Power draw..5w @ 648 MHz (~3.8 MH/s) = ~1.3w/MH...the most efficient operational ASIC miner in the world!

Wow its awesome! Can I avail?

▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄████████▄
          ▄██████████████▄
        ▄██████████████████▄
      ▄████████▀  ██████████▄
    ▄████████▀    ▄███████████
   ████████▀    ▄██████████████
 ▄███████▀    ▄████▀  ██████████
▄██████▀    ▄████▀    ▄██████████
████████  ▄████▀    ▄█████████████
█████████████▀    ▄████▀  ████████
 ██████████▀    ▄████▀    ▄██████▀
  ██████████  ▄████▀    ▄███████▀
   ██████████████▀    ▄████████
    ███████████▀    ▄████████▀
     ▀██████████  ▄████████▀
      ▀██████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
          ▀████████▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀
EQUAL

██
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██
SELF DEFLATIONARY CRYPTOCURRENCY

█
  ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
  ██
   █

▄█████▄
 █         █████████   ▄
 ██▄      ████████████▀
 ████▄▄  ▄█████████████▀
 ▄▀███████████████████
 ▀████████████████████
   ██████████████████
 ▀▄ █████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
    ▀██████████████▀
      ████████████▀
    ▄███████████▀
▄▄███████████▀▀

▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████▀▀▄███▄▀▀██████
█████  ▀     ▀  █████
████             ████
████   ██   ██   ████
████   ▄     ▄   ████
█████▄  ▀███▀  ▄█████
█████████████████████
█████████████▀███████
 ████████████▄ ▀█████
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀███
                   ▀█

▄▄
                  ▄▄████
              ▄▄████████
          ▄▄███████▀████
      ▄▄█████████▀ █████
  ▄▄███████████▀ ▄██████
█████████████▀  ████████
   ▀▀██████▀  ▄█████████
       ▀▀▀  ▄███████████
           ▄████████████
           █████████████
           ████▀  ▀▀████
           ██▀       ▀██
RedneckBob

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:16:50 AM

EUR 64 + shipping huh. That's $80 a pop.
That's a year to break even at current difficulty levels.

Think long and hard, guys.

Several times in this thread you've poo-pooed the product, but fail to take in account the potential increase in the value of the mined coins nor do you account for the potential of mining a new altcoin which takes off and increases in value.  It is all a gamble, even spending tens of thousands of dollars on massive multi-ASIC miners or renting a few peta/hash to throw at coins, you could be hosed if the price of coins tumbles.

Best part is, dude has SOLD OUT.  And, will like sell out his second run on gen2 as well.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: